New Sisters Codex inbound?!?!

thade

Why Adepta instead of Adeptus?

That's a really good question.

What Aquilanus said is right, but its base logic of connecting institution-name with membership-gender brings up two problems:

Adepta is singular, so it should've been Adeptae to include more than one.

And what about Organisations with mixed members, like I'd reckon the Adeptus Administratum to be? Neutral, Adeptes Administratum?

To my humble knowledge, Latin, unlike English, needs a gender for every noun, just for the language to work (just like my native German). And to my (admittedly limited) insight in Latin vocabulary, those genders are just as randomly and absurdly chosen as in German (e.g. Brotherhood - feminine, girl - neuter).

So, as far as I was concerned "Adeptus Blabla" is an Organisation including a noun in its name, which happens to be a masculine, no matter the gender of its members.

Due to there being no fitting translation of "Sisters of Battle" in German, we always had them called Adeptus Sororitas officially, while its members where referred to as Sororitas. However, while talking about them, I found it often came natural to refer to the all female members of the Adeptus Sororitas as Adepta Sororitas, despite the concerns mentioned above.

So, until further clarification, to me the Adepta Sororitas are members of the Adeptus Sororitas just like the Space Marines are members of the Adeptus Astartes.

Not much of an answer, but a point of viewsmile.png

Aqui - I don't know about your Blackberry, but if you buy the kindle version you can open it with any E-Reader program that recognises .mobi or .epub documents, or if you combine it with the Calibre e-book manager software (also free) you can convert it to be compatible with the blackberry version of the E-Reader software (the ony actually called 'E-Reader')

Thanks for the reply Miko smile.png My PB uses .mobi and .epub formats, it's whether or not the Android/Kindle versions are going to be like the iPad version - imprinted with a DRM signature to prevent illegal copies. Most if not all ebook readers for PB don't read DRM imprinted stuff. Mind you, the audio drama Mission: Purge wasn't so there's hope. I'll probably risk getting it even if it is DRM'd! laugh.png

>Why Adepta instead of Adeptus?

I'm no expert in Latin, but as far as I know Adepta is feminine, Adeptus is masculine, at least that's how I understand it smile.png

I think you'll be ok I've had the farsight enclave digital edition on my Android smartphone just with a free to download viewer.

Reading in between the lines gives me a conclusion:

This is straight from what they're working on already so we will see SoB within a year. Crazy commitment I know but what GW are doing is drumming up a player base to further expand upon, which is only worthwhile if they are preparing a release.

I've said it before but the Sisters are the most important faction in 40K because they are the only one to be represented correctly on the table top as gothic and dark with consistency. They fly the flag for what is integral to the 40K IP and without them we'd all be too clean cut.

Bring them on!

I think you'll be ok I've had the farsight enclave digital edition on my Android smartphone just with a free to download viewer.

Thanks for the reply - assuming I'm not flat broke at the end of the month, I'm going for it! happy.png

So does anyone know what an 'altar of war' is that Aeropig mentioned?

Do other codices have one?

I must admit that I was wondering about that. Perhaps a variant of the Exorcist or other vehicle? Only other thing I can think of is that it's a variant of an ADL...

So does anyone know what an 'altar of war' is that Aeropig mentioned?

Do other codices have one?

I must admit that I was wondering about that. Perhaps a variant of the Exorcist or other vehicle? Only other thing I can think of is that it's a variant of an ADL...

So a unit? Could it really be?! And here I was thinking it would be a codex section of some sort...

As far as I know Altar of War things are generally e-books of missions/scenarios to play on the tabletop.

Well, that makes more sense. Sisters are hardly going to get a new unit or vehicle when the Sisters themselves aren't updated model-wise first...

Alter of War are the special scenarios. As an example, here is the ad for the Eldar missions:https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/warhammer-40-000-altar-war/id650812016?mt=11

The few AoW missions I have played have always been stacked against the faction the missions is for.

Thanks for clarifying smile.png

... those genders are just as randomly and absurdly chosen as in German (e.g. Brotherhood - feminine, girl - neuter)....

... Due to there being no fitting translation of "Sisters of Battle" in German, we always had them called Adeptus Sororitas officially, ...

A quick spin with google suggests Schwestern der Schlacht or Nonnen des Kampfes. My limited studies of German would lead me to believe it likely that it'd be forged into a compound noun, perhaps 'Kampfnonnen'. Maybe someone with connections can pass that along to the translator, unless it has unfortuante implications I'm not aware of?

Oh how I struggled with Deutsch as a lad, for the most part I could wrap my head around the grammar, and the spelling was near pure phonetical, but the genders were maddening. Rote memorisation is just not how I learn. At least with French I could 'cheat' and pluralise all my sentances to pass the tests.

... those genders are just as randomly and absurdly chosen as in German (e.g. Brotherhood - feminine, girl - neuter)....

... Due to there being no fitting translation of "Sisters of Battle" in German, we always had them called Adeptus Sororitas officially, ...

A quick spin with google suggests Schwestern der Schlacht or Nonnen des Kampfes. My limited studies of German would lead me to believe it likely that it'd be forged into a compound noun, perhaps 'Kampfnonnen'. Maybe someone with connections can pass that along to the translator, unless it has unfortuante implications I'm not aware of?

Oh how I struggled with Deutsch as a lad, for the most part I could wrap my head around the grammar, and the spelling was near pure phonetical, but the genders were maddening. Rote memorisation is just not how I learn. At least with French I could 'cheat' and pluralise all my sentances to pass the tests.

Unfortunate implications there are indeed.

Apart from just not sounding quite right in German, "Schwestern der Schlacht" or "Nonnen des Kampfes" would translate back into English as 'Sisters of the Battle' which immediately forces the question: "What battle?"

As for the other alternatives, "Schlachtschwestern/-nonnen" is primarily implying a connection to a butchery/slaughterhouse. And it's even worse for "Kampfschwestern/-nonnen" as that phrase would settle somewhere between competitive drinker (="Kampftrinker") and a term of abuse for a woman who argues her homosexuality vehemently (which I won't even give the translation of, here).

So I think they chose wisely, not to try any of that! Surprising, considering some other hilarious German GW texts. 

Unfortunate implications there are indeed.

Which, of course, ties neatly back into some of the best advise I've ever received regarding the use of foreign slang and generally ties to coining new terms, which is quite simply: DO NOT. One just plain doesn't have the cultural awareness to not make a fool of oneself.

It's not to say don't learn them, if only so you can recognise when the Québécois are berating the Anglos.

Snap, Eddie.

That's why I love Japanese. Once you know what the particles are, you can slap a sentence together however you like. biggrin.png

Yep. The only thing you have to worry about in Japanese is conjugating the several different types of verbs/adjectives, the five politeness levels, stroke order and radical for looking up words in dictionary, the random exceptions to every sort of rule, four different writing systems, context based reading direction, context based omissions to sentences, and the fact that no Japanese actually speaks like they do in the text books.

I've been having a lovely time with it... ermm.gif

All latest releases and rumour work seems to point to Finecast being phased out it seems. I think this is probably a good thing if this is the case but it makes for strange reading when you consider the fanfare it was released to. If it is being discarded then GW wouldn't be shouting about it so I don't think we could expect an announcement on it's demise tongue.png

All latest releases and rumour work seems to point to Finecast being phased out it seems. I think this is probably a good thing if this is the case but it makes for strange reading when you consider the fanfare it was released to. If it is being discarded then GW wouldn't be shouting about it so I don't think we could expect an announcement on it's demise tongue.png

It's GW. They take their announcement cues from 1984. Finecast is the Greatest material ever! Plastics Forever!

I'd mostly just like the basic sisters in finecast so I can cut the crap out of them and actually convert the damned things. As it is at the moment I'm seriously considering learning how to do my own casting (before people ask this is perfectly legal to re-cast for personal use in australia)

It's GW. They take their announcement cues from 1984. Finecast is the Greatest material ever! Plastics Forever!

I wouldn't mind Finecast going down the memory hole forever. I hear that once you visit Room 101, though, you come out insisting that filling holes with liquid greenstuff is "just another fun part of the hobby" and develop an inability to see bent swords as anything but normal. My friend Billy went in once, and when he came out he insisted that there had never been ten Sisters of Battle sold in a box together, and that they had always been three to a blister. Frightening stuff.

Archived