A thought experiment: Primarchs Part I

Demus Ragnok

So I'm almost certain this has been done before, but anyhow.

What if you were a primarch. Not one of the known primarchs but you as a primarch.

If you were a primarch who would you be. Not just a name, lets give three attributes of you as a primarch.

1. How would you relate to your gene sons?

2. How would you approach the people of newly rediscovered worlds?

3. What would you do when not doing primarch things?

"Why aren't you as close to your gene sons as the others, Primarch Wade?"

"I'm not strong enough. I couldn't do it, order them forward knowing that not all of them will come back...I can't see them as children, or friends. Not if I am to continue doing what the Emperor requires of me."

2. Offer one hand in friendship, and arm the other. We would like to integrate your world peacefully into the Imperium. We can offer you the protection of our armies and the benefits of our technology in return for your fealty. We can also crush you into the dust and take what we need.

"I would prefer partners and allies. The choice is in your hands...choose wisely."

BOOKS! BOOKS! A WHOLE GALAXY FULL OF BOOKS!

1.) My gene sons reflect my inner id and ego...

...praise those that follow the righteous path...

..and understand and elevate those that don't.

2.) Speak softly and carry a big stick

3.) Contemplate the great mysteries of the universe, constantly maintain honored wargear, plan and counter possible tactics, and practice endless maneuvers and reward sons for initiative.

my gene sons are temperamental alcoholic bastards, like myself

we get into fights with general members of the public like myself

and were all self righteous egotistical irish arseholes like myself

and we wield the gas powered stick

1.   I'd emphasize to my gene-sons that they are my gene-sons.  Good work is merely adequate, and superb work is the expectation.  This is the standard I hold myself to, and it will be the standard that I hold my children to.  They will know what I am capable of, and thus to a degree, they will know what they are capable of.  Anything less is a betrayal of their gene-essence - my essence.

2.   "The Emperor has launched the Great Crusade to restore Humanity to its rightful place as the rulers of this galaxy.  Be a part of destiny or be ashes scattered in the wind"

3.   Debating philosophy, combat training, weight lifting as hobby (as if primarchs needed to actually weight train), building/ruling one city/planet that I will ask the Emperor to allow to be remolded in my image.

1. They would be my prized possessions, sent to war knowing that their Father loves them no matter what. If they failed an objective and provided an explanation that I deem plausable then they would be told to study and find out how they could have succeded to learn for the next time.

2. Simple choice. Accept Illimunation and become part of Mankind as a whole or have your entire military capabilities destroyed within days and a hundred citizens executed for every one of my Sons killed.

3. Teaching my Legion the better arts of war as well as peace to better themselves in both aspects, as well as talking to my Brothers and getting to know them well and to also amend for any past injuries between us, emotional or otherwise.

1.) They'd be my brothers and equals, not my sons. Punishment would depend on the extent of the failure.

2.) You'll get a three hour notice to surrender and accept Compliance. Everything after that is on your head.

3.) Looking for more worlds "to bring to Compliance".

I would be Primarch Keane, a Primarch often reprimanded for his failing to apply his mind wholly to war. The Captains of my legion are known far and wide for their victories, and yet my name is associated with few victories of my own - my mind is set on an Imperium after the Crusade, where my sons are needed to lead the Imperium, and so I turn my intellect to forging gods of war from my gene children.

I would focus on being less a father and more a mentor - I would be the one who educated them and developed them into commanders who could subdue and reforge worlds, although I would struggle to be a strict hand should they falter, preferring to take the blame upon myself.

New worlds would be a source for new knowledge and every opportunity would be given to them to surrender, but should they fail their knowledge and technology will be taken by as little force as possible - leave as much intact as possible.

When not leading my legion in war I would devote my time to unlocking the past, to making clear the histories of mankind, tutoring my captains and chapter masters, and reading - ever reading.

my gene sons are temperamental alcoholic bastards, like myself

we get into fights with general members of the public like myself

and were all self righteous egotistical irish arseholes like myself

and we wield the gas powered stick

Oh no the Irish Wolf Hounds, I can see it now!

I started this thread to stimulate my own brain on this subject. I must say I'm having a hard time invisioning my actions in the shoes of a primarch. I've thought about it all day and I am beginning to believe that I just take myself far too seriously.

So after a frustrating day of pondering my primarch-ality I asked my wife how she thought I would be, and she said...

1. I would treat my own space marine legion "fair but forceful".

2. I would be distant and observant of new people.

3. Observe and gather information. And spend much time in quite contemplation.

I'd be an aggressive son of a bitch.

I'd treat my legion like brothers not sons, those who stand by me and she'd blood in my name will be honoured as my prized possessions

My style of warfare would be a slow advance burning every village town city and their would be no survivors every single piece of life would be extinguished and then once I'd done that I would repent and then kill some more

Pretty much I'm a contradiction in reality so it would be magnified as a primarch.

You can't have peace without war and war never ends without the promise of peace

Realistically? The same way I do whenever I am in charge

I'd treat them with respect, and never ask them to do what I am unable, or unwilling to do myself, they're are my brothers, but step out of line and I will come down on you. 

You get one chance to surrender peacefully, and once to surrender after a key city is destroyed. After that the gloves are off. 

Improving ourselves through learning and social interactions. They are not just tools to be put away after use. 

• 2 weeks later...

Why not.

1. Though I'd be inclined to think of them as brothers, I would take the role of father for the authority. I would care for them, perhaps too much. There would likely come a time where I no longer care to know my sons, as it'd make it too hard to lose them. However, they might themselves be hurt by my distancing, and I would return to square one for their sake. I would never force upon them something I would not do myself, and I would always lead at the front, whatever my capabilities. I would rule with a free hand, on most things, but be unbending and harsh on that which I do demand. Would compete with my Nocturnean brother for the title of Bromarch, but lose because I keep relishing killing people who tell me "No."

2. Contradictorily. Shut up, Chrome, I don't care if it's not a word. I'd hate going to war, and probably do my best to prevent it. I would definitely do my utmost to preserve the cultures and peoples I conquer, likely slowing my rate of conquest. But those who tell me no, die. No second chances. A world refuses compliance, that world loses its leadership. Those who fire back, are killed. Period. But I would rarely if ever apply this to the entire world. Just those who resisted. No "Then we will destroy Civilian Center if you don't comply in X solar cycles," just "Okay, you're getting stabbed, I'll ask your replacement when I'm done stabbing." Or replacement government, because I stabbed the other one. Whatever.

3. Learning all of the things. "Tell me the story of your people. From the beginning, I got time. Pretty sure I might be immortal." But boy was I wrong.

1. Primarch Alexander 'The Tyrant' was born into a world of hatred, scorned by the people of his world. His gestation pod birthed him in an ancient and cruel society born of superstition and ignorance. Damage wrought upon his birthing tube had allowed the warp to change him, to mutate his body. And for this, they scorned him. They hated him. They hunted him down with fanaticism to purge the unclean in the name of their pagan Gods... Even when he was founded by his father, and brought into the fold of the Imperium, he was met with skepticism and distant whispers of distrust...

But not in his Legion. They did not see him for the mutations and the weakness that wracked his form. They did not care. They embraced him as their father and willingly knelt before him and pledged their undying service... And for that, no Primarch could ever love his sons more. Alexander, when not orchestrating the fields of war or politics, devoted his time to his Legion. He trained with them. He spoke with them. He taught them and he learned from them. He gave his everything to his Legion, and in turn they gave their all for him.

2. "People of Ferrox. Before you stands the embrace of the Imperium, of Truth, of Prosperity, of Peace. Your 'Lords' have denied this peace, and instead choose to turn their guns upon us. Is that what you wish? Another blood bath that will see you kin murdered? I offer you but this one chance, an opportunity for to take this matter into your own hands. You may choose to take up arms, to stand beside your Lords. If you choose this then know that you will die, that your kin will die, that all you have ever cherished will be brought to ruin....

BUT.... Should you wish for peace, and the reprieve of our wrath... Then you will take this matter into your own hands. People of Ferrox. You have Three Days to storm the Capital, to batter down Fortress Walls, and murder the Lords who seek to expend you like cattle.. By the Fourth Day, should any of your Masters still yet breath.... Your planet will burn..."

3. Alexander, as one who  does not carry the weight of physical or martial prowess at his side,  will often spend his time doing one of three things. Firstly, he will see to the planets his Legion has conquered, examining the productivity, the economy, anything to ensure that it prospers under his guiding hands. Secondly, he will devote his time to his Legion, enjoying the company of his Sons however he can. And thirdly, he will spend his time alone, for he finds far too little love in his brother Primarchs and can barely stand the scornful gaze of mortals.

0) I'd open a giant can of forum worms for reason of having more than one X-chromosome. 

In all 'seriousness': 

1) Badly: I'm blunt, overly honest, and a bit bossy. On the other hand I wouldn't ask anything I wouldn't be willing to do myself, and I'd probably encourage an independent mindset and sensible questioning of my decisions. Mindless drones are no use in a war-zone. 

2) The iron fist in the velvet glove: the iterators will do the negotiating and the advertising first. If that doesn't work then gain space and air-superiority, make targeted bombardments of infrastucture and military assets, use the kids in a similar fashion to the Royal Marines to capture assets that shouldn't be destroyed, then the IGs to guard them. Decapitate the serpent by capturing planetary leaders, for the purposes of their enlightenment (no torture involved, but possibly some creative brainwashing), or killing them if they're bat:cuss/obviously working with xenos. Stay long enough to rebuild infrastructure and install a (preferably local) governor.

3) Reading and strategy, penning academic works, too much tea. 

Good God Emperor; I'm basically girl!Guilliman. 

More thoughts on how I run ny Legion:

Each of my sons has decades if not centuries of experience....they are my engineers, subcommanders, and fast reaction forces. Not knights or gladiators seeking glory only within the reach of their own blades.

From each world I conquer I will draw a tithe of their young men and women...call their serfs, helots, auxilia...the word matters little.

They garrison our holdings (although no tithe stays on their homeworld) and provide the anvil for our hammer.

Those who distinguish themselves shall be the new recruits for the next ggeneration of Astartes (we're closer to the Vraks Renegades or Tyrant's Legion than a Forge World Legion List.)

Do not despise the small things, my sons. They crew our vehicles, build our fortifications and fight the horrors of the galaxy without our armor and gene wrought might.

Treat them poorly, squander their lives needlessly...look upon the Carnivale Penitente, those fools who did so before. Their new appearance suits them much better, don't you think? Foulness should never hide behind a fair mask...and remember our Apocetharies can always add to their ranks.

Hmm I'm an unrepentent, patriotic Brit so I'd run my legion along British lines but it would be a vision seen through rose-tinted glasses (I'm honest enough to admit that people like me love the ideal rather than the reality.)

1) My legion are my children, my loyal sons and the lads I lead to war.

2) Rebuild what we have destroyed and teach proper culture, including cricket, rugby and the superiority of tea over all other beverages.

3) Playing cricket and getting my batman to polish my bolter.

Good God Emperor; I'm basically girl!Guilliman.

If that makes you anything like Euten, you're all kinds of awesome.

Thanks, except I'm really bad at speechifying, about as inspiring as a dead fish, and would make a terrible mother. The only reason I can get Deathwatch group to do anything I say is that I've proven myself a decent tactician. 

Archived