A thought experiment: Primarchs Part I

Demus Ragnok

1.  No time for relationship with sons.  To much training/them training. 

2. Quik and overly brutal.  Secure aerospace superiority, bomb major enemy installations, eliminate command and control centers then setup up a planet wide surveillance network.  Then quikly eliminate guerrillas "Decisively" without compermise.  Move to next world.

3.  Watching football complaining about refs.

1. Honestly, I dunno. I'd have a legion of scholars and aspiring musicians who speak almost solely in in-jokes. I'd either always have a headache or think they were the best thing ever.

2. I'd borrow a strategy form one of my own 'What if' Primarchs, and give worlds three days to surrender. The first day, nobody gets harmed. The second, a whole bunch of their leadership will be executed for wasting the Imperium's Time. Third day, we'll kill anyone holding a weapon or looking at us funny. After that, we'll just wipe the world clean with fire and leave just enough people alive that they can run away and spread the story to any stubborn neighbouring worlds.

3. Reading, writing and composing music, like I do now. That and browsing the B&C. We'd be the noisiest legion and probably get admonished by the Emperor for being too loud!

My legion would probably be very heavily knight-themed, although with maces and powerfists being the most common weapons.

Well...

1) They would be my weapons just as I am just a weapon of humanity, no different from the bolters we wield. We do what we do not for glory, honours and fame but for the future of the "little" man we once were and can never be for we sacrefice our humanity to give humanity its future.

2) Join us or die. No middle ground. You either become a member of the Imperium by agreement or you don't. Those that need to be persuaded by the sound of guns are never really members but slaves of their own existential fear and once the source of that fear is removed quite likely to rebel.

3) Constantly preparing for the next asigment keeping myself and my legion is the best perfect shape.

1. Though "post human" Astartes still contain a soul, and it is that soul I would thrash with hard training (unarmored). 

2. To steal from and adapt a Marine General, Gen. Mattis "I come in peace, I didn’t bring artillery just Astartes. but I promise you if you don’t yield and submit to the imperium of man your entire world will burn"  

3. Try to get dates with those chicks that guard the big E.

1. Though "post human" Astartes still contain a soul, and it is that soul I would thrash with hard training (unarmored). 

2. To steal from and adapt a Marine General, Gen. Mattis "I come in peace, I didn’t bring artillery just Astartes. but I promise you if you don’t yield and submit to the imperium of man your entire world will burn"  

3. Try to get dates with those chicks that guard the big E.

...you ever seen a female cuss someone out in sign language? i seen it happen to a buddy of mine... way worse than vocal berating

1. do as i say, or i swear by the emperor, i'll slap you so hard you'll envy my dead brother ferrus losing his head!

2. submit, and join the emperor. oppose us, and what's left of you will join the imperium, after me and my boys here rampage through you world.

3. hang out with some of the other primarchs, try and learn everything i can from the mechanicus, and rebuild my legion after the latest campaign.

1. I'm pretty laid-back, my marines would be too. Jokey, messing around like school children, relaxed chain of command based on respect, but serious when it comes to getting the job done. Like the Wolves! And Torgaddon, I'd have a Legion of Torgaddons. It'd be pretty cool to have a Mournival as well.

2. Approach peacefully, if the enemy fires first all of their military capabilities get wiped out. Try to get them to join the Imperium through diplomacy, sales-pitch style. If they refuse then I give them three days to muster a defence, after 3 days bombard everything important (military bases etc) from orbit, send in the troops to mop up survivors.

2b. The above approach sounds a bit soft, especially for Marines, so maybe if they wouldn't join I'd just lead the lads down and destroy everything.

3. Spare time would be spent gathering knowledge about everything, mostly archaeotech and archaeology, searching the galaxy for ancient weapons and crazy xenos tech.

1. I would treat my marines not as sons but as little brothers. Loyal to each other beyond compare. Promotion based on merit.

2. New planets would be introduced to the imperium through one of my senior officers or myself negotiating with population leaders. If they stay peacefull they join the imperium without incident. If they attempt to harm my brothers my vengeance will be catastrophic. We would be a different type of anvil. In peace we will help advance and built up world's to better the empire. In war we are an anvil being dropped on your head.

3. Time not spent at war would be spent exploring the wonders of space and developing closer bonds with my brother primarchs and my legion. As well as making sure to check in with big daddy on terra to make sure he is okay

1. I would ask nothing of my men that I would not ask of myself. They are expected to fight to the utmost of their abilites and beyond, always pressing onwards in the face of the impossible. Failure would be punished accordingly. Competition and rivalry would be encouraged, and duelling mandatory in their "free time". I would lead from the front lines, serving as an example to others. The best centurions would be chosen to form an informal council and serve as an extention of my will.

2. Join the Imperium on first contact and you will be treated as equals under the Emperor, your people will prosper and we will protect you from all enemies. If they refuse, my sons will be unleashed on their world and thoroughly burn away every trace of civilization. Only faint memories will remain.

3. Studying battle plans, perfecting strategies, recreating past battles, reading ancient books, observing the legionaries when they duel or talking to my personal remembrancer who is putting my life to the paper.

fudge - the reboot wiped my post...

1. I would expect of them what I expect of myself, if I want to be CO then I need to pass the same battery of tests as they after all how can you lead 'The Best' without proving that you ARE 'The Best' - ergo Commando All-Arms, SEALs BUD/S etc.

2. My men are not there for diplomacy or supremacy, we are a tool in the hand of man, if a show of force is needed then we are that, if total destruction is required then it shall be so, if a diplomat needs protecting then we are those, but first and foremost we are warfighters and warriors - our days are spent training, our nights on tasking.

3. Searching out fellow warfighters be they human or xenos, learn from them and if they wish they may take up our cause across the milieu of galaxies...

1. I would expect obediance, and quick thinking. Strategic thinking with focus on having no or very little collateral damage in terms of both civilians, structures and other stuff.

2. I'd probablly give them some kind of ultimatum. Embrace the imperium and you'll get to keep most of your own society and Culture. Loads of propaganda, hidden agents and stuff like that.  Fight, and we'll do black-ops kind of missions to kill leaders and high command. If they still wont surrender I guess I'd have to bomb them from space.

3. I'd be studying. Culture, religion, history. Teaching my legion to value such things, and learn them as well.

I guess I am either Alpha Legion, Thousand Sons or Word Bearers :P

Archived