[HH1.0] Night Lords Tactics

Verity

All 3 of the dreads had a chain fist specifically in case he added av14. The issue was he tied them up with his tac squad and a dread of his own, the third was killed turn 1 or 2.

The suzerains were a huge pain when they mobbed into my command squad-they're an incredibly dangerous unit I was shocked how good they are!

Combi-plas in the command squad with a pod sounds like a brilliant idea!!

So you've got the best anti tank loadout for your dreads then, I think the problem is that you're pretty much exclusively relying on those three dreadnoughts to charge tanks and punch them to death when you really need more long ranged anti tank options. As helterskelter suggested speeders of both varieties are excellent for NL, great way to get around the lack of heavy support options. You'd probably also though want something a bit stronger, like a leviathan, a lightning or deredeo that packs some really heavy anti tank firepower.

Also a note on dreadnoughts, drop pods for them will make tying them up with tactical squads a lot harder, and you can more easily get into range to charge tanks. The DDP models are unfortunately pricey and a pain to build, but well worth the investment in my mind especially for an army like NL that can make such good use of drop pods. 

So how are people using dread droppods if they are not available, converting them?

Personally I wouldn't be opposed to anyone just using a regular DP. If it's not available then what else can you really be expected to do?

Although if you just scoop the guts out of a DP and maybe added some plasticard spacers you could probably make a pretty convincing DDP.

We can't use the "out-teleport them" tactic all that well I've discovered since those arae shrikes give them a minimal safe distance, so plasma-nators will have to deal with them by being dropped off by a transport, combi plas seekers will be able to off one unit maybe if you can hit your intended target.

Would consider buddying up terror squads to pour more volkite into a given squad at a time.

Larger assault and tactical squads so in combat circumstances outnumbering still occurs, the bigger the squad the longer we keep our perks the more likely it is we'd win.

Flyers with anti troop capabilites might help, phosphex bombs/phosphex quads/leviathan with the snips and phosphex launcher.

Destroyers and forgelords used in combination strikes, rad missile launchers and rad grenades are going to help, with rad phage and then -1 to toughness you can take a custodes down to t3 with one/two wounds left depending (because of having to wound to get rad phage debuff).

Plasma bikers, jetbikes and javelin/speeders to keep our ability to out manoeuvre/outgun.

Keeping out of combat until reasonably certain the target unit is killable with outnumbering.

Typhon and vindicators if you fancy just being evil too I guess

If we can get the charge with a unit of terminators with fists we have a good shot at doing some damage.

3 man squads seem to be the average size so outnumbering shouldn't be difficult. I'd avoid combat with any units with shields however. That -1 to hit is rough, even though our army is actually the best equipped to mitigate their harder to hit and harder to wound bonuses.

We can't use the "out-teleport them" tactic all that well I've discovered since those arae shrikes give them a minimal safe distance, so plasma-nators will have to deal with them by being dropped off by a transport, combi plas seekers will be able to off one unit maybe if you can hit your intended target.

Would consider buddying up terror squads to pour more volkite into a given squad at a time.

Larger assault and tactical squads so in combat circumstances outnumbering still occurs, the bigger the squad the longer we keep our perks the more likely it is we'd win.

Flyers with anti troop capabilites might help, phosphex bombs/phosphex quads/leviathan with the snips and phosphex launcher.

Destroyers and forgelords used in combination strikes, rad missile launchers and rad grenades are going to help, with rad phage and then -1 to toughness you can take a custodes down to t3 with one/two wounds left depending (because of having to wound to get rad phage debuff).

Plasma bikers, jetbikes and javelin/speeders to keep our ability to out manoeuvre/outgun.

Keeping out of combat until reasonably certain the target unit is killable with outnumbering.

Typhon and vindicators if you fancy just being evil too I guess

Not sure the Arae-Shrikes apply if they are in transports, so that is a slight blessing, as their transports seem like a no-brainer. Though if they go footslogging or Deep Striking, it can prove an issue. Though we can get just outside it and pump Volkite into a squad, as you said, because volume of firepower is a solid strategy to force 1's.

Really, I think that is the overall easiest way for us to kill them - drown them in wounds. TfM should really help that.

I think Night Lords actually might be one of the best equipped legions to face custodes in an assault. Assuming you're running terror assault, and you get lucky and have night fight in turn 2, you're striking custodes at the same speed as they are hitting back, and since it's easy to outnumber them even a basic squad of tacticals/assault marines are hitting and wounding on 4s, which is pretty decent considering how tough they are. +2 armor is still a problem of course, but as em en oh pee said I think you just need to drown them in wounds. Charge in as many high number of attack models as you can and wear them down. Since terror squads also get more hits in there from their volkite weapons, I think they could actually do alright against a small three man squad, especially if the sergeant has a fist/glaive.   

The main draw strength of the custodes is the powerfist equipped sentinels with hetaerons being super charged varieties. In a lot of cases you're going to be hitting before them, but its extra crucial to outnumber them since TFM counter-acts the shields.

Honestly taking big plasma support squads is one of the better options, so is a typhon. Medusas are fairly solid since they insta-kill them and get around flare shields. Ally in some grav-destructors and/or ursurax and watch them cry

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up Calth, the FW upgrades and 10 raptors. What should I add next?

What interests you/how do you like to play/is there anything that puts you off or you really like?

Im open to anything really. Anything that sounds "fluffy" for NL

Edited by shakespear

I picked up Calth, the FW upgrades and 10 raptors. What should I add next?

What interests you/how do you like to play/is there anything that puts you off or you really like?

Im open to anything really. Anything that sounds "fluffy" for NL

Curze. :D

I agree with Curze. He seems to be the most "playable" of the Primarchs. With his Jump Pack, you don't need a 400 point transport to give him mobility with a decent bodyguard. He absolutely shreds infantry. He can hold his own against an enemy Primarch and can H&R to disengage to hit a weaker foe. His only real weakness is his inability to break armor, but H&R mitigates that.

Anyway, lots more details and suggestions in the Custodes weakness thread, but Night Lords do better than most. Talent for Murder helps in melee, night fighting helps because only their Dreadnoughts have searchlights, and PE volkite is the king of forcing massed wounds. The ubiquitous Leviathan in terror assault can also help, although may need a different configuration than the usual drill/Lance. The claw is nice due to causing extra wounds, and the grav flux forces wounds on individual models preventing look out sir shenanigans. The phosphex discharge is actually relatively effective, since crawling death helps with extra scatter from shrikes and it has AP2. Between that and the grav flux you may be able to clean up a 3-man unit.  Regular AP3 phosphex may disappoint unless it's a full battery and the target is not at max coherency, and even then volkite is probably better at forcing wounds through volume.

Edited by Slipstreams
A point has been made by the moderators to not disparage others for having a different view.

Hello all ye murderers!

I was wondering how you field your Night Raptors (if you do) and what's your experience with them?

Also, if you field a Jump Pack Warlord, what unit do you run him with? If you do not field your Warlord with a Jump Pack, then what unit do you put him in?

Especially with the pts reduction in assault marines, unfortunately night raptors are a bit overpriced these days and don't find a place in my lists all that often. That being said a big unit of fifteen is a lot of fun to run, especially with an attached apothecary and/or chaplain to make them more effective. A unit that big is guaranteed to outnumber almost anything, and you have a few extra wounds you can afford to lose. I usually give about one in three a power axe/sword and don't use chainglaives a whole lot since they are only one attack base. Really best to use only for the squad sergeant.

As for a jump pack preator/delegatus well there's really only two units he fits in: assault marines and raptors, since those are the only two assault oriented jump infantry units. If I don't run a jump infantry unit, then it's pretty much guaranteed I'm not going to run a jump pack warlord. In that case I usually go for a preator/delegatus in terminator armor who can either ride with a big retinue of terminators in a spartan, or teleport in with a smaller 5 man combi weapon unit which is usually where he ends up in a terror assault list. Especially in terror assault your options for where your warlord goes are limited given your character can't join terror marines during deployment.