[HH1.0] Night Lords Tactics

Verity

Yeah but if the terminators run then you can't fire off combi weapons. I'd just pretty much always prefer to have that firepower available on the turn they show up. Dreadclaw would also be an OK choice for them but then you're spending a lot more pts than teleporter transponders, just prefer that in pretty much every case.

• 5 weeks later...

So guys. I'm about to pick my nightlords up again. But not sure where to start. Thinking terror assault or maybe pride. Is terror assualt still the best choice after all this time?

Was thinking podding vets or terror squads backed up by tact support squads and teleporting terms. Not really wanting any vechiles except maybe a dread or too.

You can do some sneaky stuff with Terror Assault.  If you bring them as an allied detachment, you remove the disadvantage of having to bring an extra Terror Squad and being limited to a single heavy support slot.  You do run into the issue of their limited ally opportunities (your troops would not be scoring if they are distrusted allies) and Nightfighting being a detriment to most forces. The easiest solution to this is to bring a Mechanicum force.  They are fellow warriors with Night Lords, and have lots of access to night vision.

I have too many projects in my queue to probably ever get around to making a Night Lords army, plus I have tried very hard to limit our local 30K games to narrative and campaign battles rather than typical 40K one-upsmanship (one guy showed up with an Ironfire list with 9 quad mortars and was promptly booed out of the store), so this kind of shenanigans will never see the light of day (no pun intended) under my generalship, but it could make for an extremely nasty combination if you were so inclined.

If I were to go that route, I would start the core of the army as Cybernetica, and limit Night Lords to 1 HQ, elite unit of choice (probably mortars if power-gaming), 2 Volkite Terror Squads, and Leviathan in heavy support.  Fast attack can be Javelins (power) or Raptors (fluff).

Edited by Withershadow

I have tried very hard to limit our local 30K games to narrative and campaign battles rather than typical 40K one-upsmanship (one guy showed up with an Ironfire list with 9 quad mortars and was promptly booed out of the store), so this kind of shenanigans will never see the light of day (no pun intended) under my generalship, but it could make for an extremely nasty combination if you were so inclined.

There is so much beauty in that paragraph.

Let me raise my glass to you, good Sir.

Right so, I say, damn right so!

I play deathguard, mech and been trying to get my nightlords off the ground for a year lol. Don't really power game. Just have a bit of fun.trying to do a pod list with jst terror squads, vets, support squads and seekers but don't think can make it work as seekers and support squads don't get pods in terror assualt and don't want to have to waste a anvilius(fast slot just to use them.)

• 2 weeks later...

I think Terror Squads are a little bit expansive since Veterans got so cheap.

They're more focused than Vets. But for 25 points more (for a 5 man squad, 40 more for a 10 man squad) they have Fear, Precision Strikes and Preferred Enemy (Infantry) as well as Infiltrate (which also gives them Outflank) whereas Vets have their listed abilities. They share a similar profile, though a base executioner has one more leadership which could useful but circumstantial. 

Terror squads excel at killing MEQ and below units. Vets can do the same but tooling them up to do that job will make them more expensive than a Terror squad.

They're more focused than Vets. But for 25 points more (for a 5 man squad, 40 more for a 10 man squad) they have Fear, Precision Strikes and Preferred Enemy (Infantry) as well as Infiltrate (which also gives them Outflank) whereas Vets have their listed abilities. They share a similar profile, though a base executioner has one more leadership which could useful but circumstantial.

Terror squads excel at killing MEQ and below units. Vets can do the same but tooling them up to do that job will make them more expensive than a Terror squad.

Abs how do you play them?

How big and whith what kind of weapon?

Abs how do you play them?

How big and whith what kind of weapon?

How do I play Terror Squads? I don't. I'm not a Night Lords player but if I did I'd tool them up to go kill MEQ. Hunting Heavy Weapon Squads, Quad Mortar crew, Tacticals sitting on objectives. They excel at killing other marines and should be used as such. To ensure the result you want make sure that you outnumber the enemy before charging to get the most out of their special rules.

Kurze

Jump pack preator(mc paragon blade, mb, digi laser)

10 raptors(2 power axes, 4 glaives, 4 pairs lightning claws)

Terror squad with volkite in pod(srg aa, powerfist)

Terror squad with volkite in pod(srg aa, powerfist)

Terror squad with heavy chainblades in pod(srg aa,mb,glaive)

Vets with meltas and combi meltas(in pod) srg aa vox

Vets with plasma and combi plasma(in pod) srg aa vox

3 sky slayers with mm, srg power fist.

3 javelins with mm and lascannons. 2 hunterkillers each

Here's my 3k list. What you guys think? Don't want any armour in it.

• 4 weeks later...

Lt Dan

That’s very similar to the list that I plan to run

I’m using an apothecary and Chaplin both with Jump pack with a fifteen person assault squad with Kurze getting a 2+ save in the open first turn.

I’m planning on using a ten man terminator squad with mainly chainfists and plasma deep striking in as the anti armour. With the two drop pod veterans with voxes they can come down exactly where I need them.

I suspect the javelins and sky slayers will be more mobile and effective but the terminators come in the Catherine box so I have them anyway.

Interested to hear how your list runs.

I'm still in the building process so lots to do still but hopefully be a fun army to play with. I am going to put a apothecary in the raptor/curze unit and maybe make them all chainglaives?. I have enough aa with the javs/slayers and melta vets. Air might be a issue but not too worried about it.

• 2 weeks later...

With the imminent release of the new HH rule book I'm looking forward to the return of Melta bomb units and no invisibility.

Spartans and other armoured nasties will be much easier to take once again for our Legion.

I know it was never official but in my area we always played multi-bombing.

Melta bombs on machine killer vets is decent option. But if they're already loaded with combi-melta it'll make them that little bit more expensive. I wouldn't give melta bombs to jetbikes. Jetbikes are gun platforms and shouldn't be in close combat. Outriders with melta bombs would be a better bet as they're a better combat option than jetbikes.

Not really sure machine killer is worth it for melta-bombs, unless you face dreadnought spam for some reason.  I like melta-bombs on sniper vets with bolters.  Keeps them cheap and they can hunt monstrous creatures like no other, and can hurt vehicles as well. S8+2D6 in volume is good enough for me even without re-rolls.

An interesting thing I've noted is that they are talking specifically about melta-bombs, not all grenades.  I think this would be a happy medium, as then I can still send my Vorax against tactical squads without being krak grenaded to death.

The previewed page of grenade rules specifically calls out krak grenades, so I think they’re still a thing. Poor Vorax - I really want to like them, but that shelves them until they’re updated again.

I agree on the Sniper Vets with melta bombs, but I’m even more keen for Sniper Vets with 10 combi-meltas. I used to question the 5-point price difference between meltaguns and combi-meltas, but having the bolter component is sometimes better (and definitely more versatile).

@the native. Yes there gun platforms but nothing wrong with qickly darting in tho drop some melta bombs onto some preds or something. I wouldn't put them in combat with infantry tho.

I'm going to be running 20 vets, 10 with plasma,10 melta. You can pick sniper or machine killer when you see your opponent so its cool.

@the native. Yes there gun platforms but nothing wrong with qickly darting in tho drop some melta bombs onto some preds or something. I wouldn't put them in combat with infantry tho.

I'm going to be running 20 vets, 10 with plasma,10 melta. You can pick sniper or machine killer when you see your opponent so its cool.

Hmmm. From my point of view, if they're close enough to be planting melta bombs on tanks I think they're too close. They should be standing off in the 24" to 36". 

• 2 weeks later...

You can do some sneaky stuff with Terror Assault.  If you bring them as an allied detachment, you remove the disadvantage of having to bring an extra Terror Squad and being limited to a single heavy support slot.  You do run into the issue of their limited ally opportunities (your troops would not be scoring if they are distrusted allies) and Nightfighting being a detriment to most forces. The easiest solution to this is to bring a Mechanicum force.  They are fellow warriors with Night Lords, and have lots of access to night vision.

I have too many projects in my queue to probably ever get around to making a Night Lords army, plus I have tried very hard to limit our local 30K games to narrative and campaign battles rather than typical 40K one-upsmanship (one guy showed up with an Ironfire list with 9 quad mortars and was promptly booed out of the store), so this kind of shenanigans will never see the light of day (no pun intended) under my generalship, but it could make for an extremely nasty combination if you were so inclined.

If I were to go that route, I would start the core of the army as Cybernetica, and limit Night Lords to 1 HQ, elite unit of choice (probably mortars if power-gaming), 2 Volkite Terror Squads, and Leviathan in heavy support.  Fast attack can be Javelins (power) or Raptors (fluff).

I've been thinking about allied NL for a long time and having just got a Cybernetica army you bring a very awesome point...!