[HH1.0] Night Lords Tactics

Verity

What else is in your list? What does your meta look like? Do your boards have a lot of blocking LoS terrain?

Lots of dependents on there!

BUT in general, outflanking is good because you can 99% guarantee some tasty side armour shots with your lascannons and multi-meltas and aren't vulnerable to enemy fire before you've shot etc. Only problem is you might end up in a duff position.

Deploying is fine, as you are very fast and can jink, but you don't want to risk firepower being lost.

Thanks for the replys. Not played 30k properly yet, still buying the models. This does mean that my army list is a little fluid atm. My 2k list for mainly friendly games has 2 las/mm javelins, 3 quad mortars and a sicaran arcus (I love the look of it and i want to avoid using a leviathan if i can)

Quick question for everyone here. I'm gonna be using 2-3 javelins in my terror assault list. What do you guys think is better out of deploying them or having them outflank?

I have, in nearly every game I have ever used my Javelins, found that outflanking is best. My opponents have learned to (rightly) fear my javelins and so I find unless I am able to perfectly deploy them away from enemy fire they will be targeted immediately. This means I am having to juggle deployment for maximum damage output against deployment for survival long enough to do damage. Outflank takes this worry away from me, and I feel the few times that they do not show up on time is negligible compared to the damage they cause showing up in exactly the right place.

I've tried a Leviathan in a drop pod, but I find it hard to support it as it comes down. Usually you want to target the weakest enemy flank, but my dreadnought gets killed rather quickly during the following turns. Veterans with melta bombs and whotnot. And if you don't want it to come down first turn you have to buy other drop podding-stuff which turns into an investment just to deep strike the Leviathan! For my coming battles I'll test it on foot, with a shooty-arm (I've only tested it with combat arms). 

But... If you don't want to take a Leviathan, what do people use?

The Leviathan is just so bloody cool and it being in a drop pod helps with the inclusion of other pods too (Terror Squads) 

Plus it's SUPER hardy and has unique weapons.

The leviathan is great, there just is not a bad option on it. Plus being able to take 3 in a single heavy support choice makes it great for Terror Assault.

However, I can see how it is overused and people want a different choice. If you are going to run Terror Assault without it, then I think that its firepower needs to be replaced.

I am a big fan of Fire Raptors, but they are generally useful at anti-marine infantry and Terror Assault is great at that already. What is needed is the anti-TEQ and/or anti-tank that it brings.

The key is to look at what the rest of your army is lacking, and then see where you can shore it up. I have to admit, between Sunder Shell Thudd Guns, Javelin Speeders and Contemptor Dreadnoughts, I often do not feel the need to take a heavy support slot at all. Though that being said, my regular opponents rarely run Terminators, so usually a single squads of seekers or Veterans with combi-plasmas is enough AP2 for my entire army to rely on in most cases.

The Leviathan is just so bloody cool and it being in a drop pod helps with the inclusion of other pods too (Terror Squads)

The leviathan is great, there just is not a bad option on it. Plus being able to take 3 in a single heavy support choice makes it great for Terror Assault.

You can't take three in pods as one FoC slot though right? They'd have to walk.

You can't take three in pods as one FoC slot though right? They'd have to walk.

They would have to walk, yes. But, if you have decent target saturation (which 3 Leviathans tend to offer on their own) then I find that walking is not that bad for them.

There is the issue of their short ranged weaponry, but unless your opponent is hugging the back of heir deployment, I tend to find I have plenty of targets from turn 2 onwards.

I use a Deredeo, and I like it alot. But a levi is already on my desk ;)

Oh, would like to hear more about the Sicaran Arcus, it could be a viable option.

It does start getting pricy once you start looking at the alternate ammo (they really aren't too necessary anyway). But still with the basic ammo and twin lascannons it does put out some good shots, and you can fire the missiles twice if you stay still. The basic missiles are good on their own with 4 S8 AP2 shots, so can deal with all bar heavy tanks and can deal with terminators (the reason i like it), all successful cover saves must be rerolled and you have the same pen ability as the xiphon.

I think it can put in some work. It's a fast vehicle so can keep up with my army, and while it is better if stationery it's not useless if it moves.

Been looking at rite options outside Terror Assault for when i finally have enough models (and as I'm looking to have my night lords usable for 40k at some point I'll have a good range of units that aren't terror squads XP). How effective would a night lords pride list be? Would servatar be worth while as the warlord?

Been looking at rite options outside Terror Assault for when i finally have enough models (and as I'm looking to have my night lords usable for 40k at some point I'll have a good range of units that aren't terror squads XP). How effective would a night lords pride list be? Would servatar be worth while as the warlord?

I like to run Sevatar in a pride list with some outflanking veterans, really helps you get your units where they need to go.

His teleport homer is not something to rely on, in my opinion. Sev isn't the fastest unit, and the chance of him being exactly where you need him to make use of it is low.

As LtDan says, if you want to run Terminators, then a few recon squads really help. With their infiltrate set-up then they can help get everyone in place well.

Drop Assault Vanguard is pretty nasty.

Big Assault Squads for NL are great and with having shrouded as well as only being able to be snap-shot at makes them almost invincible.

Take a load of flyers/ Javelins/ Terrors in drop pods for more fun.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, this is my new take on my regular Terror Assault list (with NO leviathan). What do you guys think? My NLs fights Salamanders and Space Wolves kinda regulary.

12th Terror Company “The Terrible Children”
HQ
Huntmaster Konda Qesh (Praetor), Master-crafted Paragon Blade, Digital Lasers, Iron Halo, Jump Pack, Trophies of Judgement – 205pts

Spirit Walker Ia Laan'xhe (Master of Signals), chain-glaive, artificer armour, refractor field - 130pts    

ELITES
5 Cataphractii Terminators, 3 power fists, 1 chainfist, 4 combi-plasmas, 1 plasma blaster, teleporter transponder, Sergeant with chain-glaive – 258pts

10 Legion Tactical Veterans (Marksmen), Sergeant with artificer armour and power axe, rides in a rhino with a multi-melta – 235pts

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought, two Kheres pattern assault cannons – 180pts

Apothecary, jump pack, augury scanner, power sword - 75pts 

TROOPS
10 Terror Marines, volkites, Sergeant with artificer armour, power fist – 275pts 

10 Terror Marines, volkites, Sergeant with artificer armour, chain-glaive – 270pts 

5 Support Marines, 5 plasma guns, rides in a rhino – 210pts

15 Assault Marines, two power axes, Sergeant with artificer armour, power fist, trophies of judgement – 290pts

FAST ATTACK
Lightning, ground target auguries, battle servitor control, two pair of kraken missiles, one pair of phospex bomb cluster – 255pts

Javelin, twin-linked lascannon, multi-melta, hunter killer missile – 80pts

Storm Eagle, two twin-linked lascannons, armoured ceramite – 270pts

HEAVY SUPPORT
Fire Raptor, armoured ceramite, reaper autocannons, hellstrike rockets - 250pts

Total 2983pts