[HH1.0] Night Lords Tactics

Verity

Was wondering what loadouts Nightlord's p[layers do for their Contemptors?

Obviously it depends on the rest of your list, but personally in my Terror Assault force I use them to shore up the weaknesses of the list.

This mostly means anti tank duty. Chainfist upgrade is generally worth it for killing mirror matches (other contemptors) and with two grav guns you can threaten any land based vehicle, especially running a pair of Cortus.

Otherwise, a Kheres is always a nice choice. Chainfist and Kheres (plus whatever hand weapon you would like) gives you a wide coverage against whatever may threaten your other forces. The short range may be a bit of a pain but the killing power is nice.

My favourite contemptor load out is to use a leviathan instead though. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Can we do a strong assault list with our Legion? I'm thinking about 20 Marines with CCWs in a Spartan backed up by an apothecary and maybe a consul, together with termies in transports, veterans and contemptors? Is it more prudent to go for the assault marine lists?

Can we do a strong assault list with our Legion? I'm thinking about 20 Marines with CCWs in a Spartan backed up by an apothecary and maybe a consul, together with termies in transports, veterans and contemptors? Is it more prudent to go for the assault marine lists?

Assault is the name of the game with NL. +1 to hit AND wound when you out number is hella-strong.

Many people have sang the merits of Drop Assault Vanguard RoW.

Basically you take 3 Assault squads and two get to deploy via deep strike on the first turn. Opponent can only shoot snap shots at these within 12" (no nasty blasts) and you get lots of cover saves from night fighting. Downsides are no immobile units (Tarantulas), no allies or fortifications are allowed, and only units that can Deep Strike or embark on a Flying Transport can be taken - so bring lots of flyers, Terror Squads in Drop pods (to go with your assault squads) etc

• 8 months later...

HI guys,  I would to show you my Night Lords list for a judgment. I read within this post that a lots of people play Assault Vanguard RoW with NL. What do you think about this RoW? According with you what is the best setting for NL. Unfortunately in Italy I have no other people to face about it

So this  army allows a good control of the reserves as it exploits the synergy of the Damocles combined with a Proteus (to be so sure enough of a second incisive turn). Obviously in the first rturn I would enter with the two dreadclaws.

The army is composed by follows choices:

- Praetor @190 Pts ->  Artificer Armour, Digital Lasers, Iron Halo, Paragon Blade, Jump Pack, Melta Bombs
- Chaplain @ 130 Pts -> Jump Pack, Artificer Armour, Refractor Field, e Melta Bombs
- Damocles @ 105 Pts -> Dozer Blade

- 20x Assault Space Marine @ 435 Pts -> 20x Shields, 3x Power Axe, 1x Power Sword, Sergeant with Power Fist Artificer Armour and Melta Bombs
- 10 x Terror @ 280 Pts -> 10x Volkite, Sergeant with Power Fist, Artificer Armour and Melta Bombs
+ Drop  Pod @ 35 Pts    
- 5x Terror @ 140 Pts -> Sergeant with Artificer Armour and Melta Bombs (these guys will embark themselves on the Damocles)
- 8x Terror @ 240 Pts -> 8x Volkite, Sergeant with Power Fist, Artificer Armour and Melta Bombs (these guys will embark themselves on the Proteus)

- Apothecary @ 60 Pts -> Jump Pack
- 5x Terminator @ 220 Pts -> 3x Chainfist, 1x Power Fist, Sergeant with Nostraman Chainglaive
+ Dreadclaw @ 115 Pts
- 10x Veterans Space Marines @ 275 Pts -> 10x Combiweapon (plasma gun), Sergeant with Power Fist and Artificer Armour 
+ Dreadclaw @ 115

- 3x Javelin Attack Speeder @ 195 Pts -> 3x Heavy Bolter; 6x Hunter-killer Missiles, Twin-linked Cyclone missile launcher
- 1x Primaris-Lightning @ 230 Pts -> Battle Servitor Control, Ground-tracking Auguries, 2x Kraken Penetrator

- 1x Land Raider Proteus @ 235 Pts -> Dozer Blade, Explorator Augury Web

What do you think?

That's a very big footprint those assualt marines will have. Easy pickings for blasts etc and very expensive with all the shields etc.

What are you planing with the vets?? What trait are you giving them? As now there is no sniper your better off with seekers maybe as you still having to pay for the dreadclaw.

I like the idea of the Proteus and Damocles for reserve manipulation. So guess you have both starting on table? Scout the Proteus up?. With the javs outflanking etc....

Are the 5 terror squads in the Damocles armed with?

What row?

Sorry for alot of questions but it doesn't seem very focused. Few tweaks tho could be good

That's a very big footprint those assualt marines will have. Easy pickings for blasts etc and very expensive with all the shields etc.

What are you planing with the vets?? What trait are you giving them? As now there is no sniper your better off with seekers maybe as you still having to pay for the dreadclaw.

I like the idea of the Proteus and Damocles for reserve manipulation. So guess you have both starting on table? Scout the Proteus up?. With the javs outflanking etc....

Are the 5 terror squads in the Damocles armed with?

What row?

Sorry for alot of questions but it doesn't seem very focused. Few tweaks tho could be good

So, I decide to put a large unit of assault marines like main force that move to the enemy. Thanks to the chaplain they could be also resist to an enemy country charge

The Shields are necessery because in this way they could fight against enemy with VP 2 or 3. However I am conscious that the main problem for this guys are the blast.

The vets have the machine killer ability, in fact the idea is that they could create problem against vehicle like medusa and basilisk that could threat the assault marines

The seekers are a Little too expensive that the vets, and Made a minus Numbers of attack in combats so i decide to choose the veterans

About Proteus and damocles, the idea is to scout with the Proteus and play the damocles hidden :)

The rite choose is obviusly the Terror Assault! Are there other rites with NL ??? (I joke ^^)

The Javelin are a jolly: I could decide to deploy them with the rest of the army of decide outflanking

About the 5 terror inside the damocles, they don’t have any special weapon, because I hope they rest all the game inside the damocles or assault light tank like rhino or equal

Edited by Lollo129

• 2 weeks later...

Which Hvy support choice do you suggest?

Other question:

I painted all my models using the FW colour specific for the Night Lords

I have seen that the product is out of stock. So what colour could I use to reproduce the same blue effect?

• 1 month later...

So i've been thinking of getting into HH and I'm in love with the NL.

Here's a list i'm thinking of, using the Terror Assault RoW

2000 Points

Praetor - JP, MC Paragon Blade, Combi-Melta, Trophies - 200

Terror Squad - 10 man - 10 Volkite Chargers, Sgt w Glaive & Bolt Pistol - Drop Pod - 290

Terror Squad - 10 man - 10 Volkite Chargers, Sgt w Glaive & Bolt Pistol - Drop Pod - 290

Terror Squad - 5 man - 10 Volkite Chargers, Sgt w Glaive & Bolt Pistol - Drop Pod - 190

Night Raptor Squad - 10 man - 10 Chainglaives, 2 Meltaguns - 390

Stormeagle - TLMM, 2 TLLC, VL, Ext Armour - 270

Total: 1900

Tactics-wise, i'm planning to Infiltrate the terror squads together, one of the big squads will have my Praetor. The Drop pods are there mostly to mess about and block off objectives. The raptor squad will be in one of the stormeagles, i figured because of their onslaught rule and the chainglaives, they'll be able to punch way above their weight class.

I know i'm lacking bodies but I don't really fancy big big squads. I'm hoping the volkite chargers would help the terror squads do more damage than their small size would suggest. I wouldn't mind dropping one of the Stormeagles for something else that could help with anti-tank, because that seems to be one of my weaknesses. Maybe a skyslayer squadron for deepstriking multimeltas?

What do you guys think? What changes would you make?

Edited by SyNidus

2000 Points

Terror Squad - 5 man - 10 Volkite Chargers, Sgt w Glaive & Bolt Pistol - Drop Pod - 190

Tactics-wise, i'm planning to Infiltrate the terror squads together, one of the big squads will have my Praetor. The Drop pods are there mostly to mess about and block off objectives. The raptor squad will be in one of the stormeagles, i figured because of their onslaught rule and the chainglaives, they'll be able to punch way above their weight class.

I know i'm lacking bodies but I don't really fancy big big squads. I'm hoping the volkite chargers would help the terror squads do more damage than their small size would suggest. I wouldn't mind dropping one of the Stormeagles for something else that could help with anti-tank, because that seems to be one of my weaknesses. Maybe a skyslayer squadron for deepstriking multimeltas?

Units which purchased Drop Pods must be deployed in them, so no infiltrating Terror Squads with empty Pods coming down.

Jump Infantry models cannot embark in vehicles unless specified otherwise.

2000 Points

Units which purchased Drop Pods must be deployed in them, so no infiltrating Terror Squads with empty Pods coming down.

Jump Infantry models cannot embark in vehicles unless specified otherwise.

In regards to the drop pod, is that so? I can't find the rule anywhere and iirc in 7th ed that's what we could do. If this is no longer the case i'd be most grateful for a page reference.

As for the stormeagle thing, you're absolutely right. I might have to find another way of using the raptors. Maybe deepstriking then?

Thanks man

2000 Points

Praetor - JP, MC Paragon Blade, Bolt-pistol, Digital lasers, Iron Halo, Trophies - 205

Terror Squad - 10 man - 9 Volkite Chargers, Sgt w Glaive & Bolt Pistol - 255

Terror Squad - 5 man - 4 Volkite Chargers, Sgt w Glaive & Bolt Pistol - 170

Tactical Squad - 20 man - Bolters, Chainswords & pistols, Sgt with Glaive - 285

Javelin Attack Speeder Squadron - 3 Speeders - TLLascannon, Multimelta - 225

Night Raptor Squad - 10 man - 5 Chainglaives, 2 Meltaguns - 310

Total: 1995

So the idea is to have the Tactical squad in the Stormeagle. They've got the CCWs & bolters for the flexibility. The Terror Squads will infiltrate. I'm not sure about the Night Raptor Squad, they'll be joined by the Praetor and they'll deepstrike in. What do you guys think?

Hmm, well I'm no expert but it certainly looks balanced: enough scoring units, ways to catch fast units, ways to break open a few harder units, low body count but with weapons enough to cause some damage among other legionnaire units.  While I don't think I could ever have said 'drop a storm eagle' especially if there's less than 3 (I love the blasted things :tongue.: ) the javelin unit feels like a really good replacement.

Only a bit of a question: people fine the multi-meltas more reliable than the pair of hunter-killer missiles they can strap to them? 

Edited by Vykes

Hmm, well I'm no expert but it certainly looks balanced: enough scoring units, ways to catch fast units, ways to break open a few harder units, low body count but with weapons enough to cause some damage among other legionnaire units.  While I don't think I could ever have said 'drop a storm eagle' especially if there's less than 3 (I love the blasted things :tongue.: ) the javelin unit feels like a really good replacement.

Only a bit of a question: people fine the multi-meltas more reliable than the pair of hunter-killer missiles they can strap to them? 

Thanks man. As for that question, i genuinely don't know. But if the melta hits, that's gonna hurt.

They will hurt, if they are within 12" and the target does not have armoured ceramite.

Your list will be a bit vulnerable to lists with heavy weapons teams with augury scanners with all those units coming in from reserves. Nowadays with the new FAQed augury scanner that gives interceptor rule full range on weapons I suspect we will see more gunlines in 30k and you will struggle against such lists. People putting their heavy support squads with lascannons or missile launchers with augury scanner and master of signals in a bunker. difficult to take out and will take out most units coming in from reserves.

It looks like it could use some tightening up

Storm eagles are terrible, drop it for a fire raptor.

Drop the lascannons on the speeders for missiles and get double hunter killers too.

Artificer armour and Melta bombs on everything.

Assault marines instead of night raptors.

Divvy the tacs for objective grabbing.

See how many points you have left over for extras

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

Ignore the Eagle loather! Ignore them, they commit blasphemy against the sacred forges of Anvillus and they know their crimes!  

Divvying that many tacs is gonna come back with a premium cost and 10 troopers isn't hard to exterminate.  Not that 20 is much harder, but it's a bigger unit that might be able to stand its ground against a hard push from another similar objective grabbing rhino unit that is likely gonna get the jump on them thus have the upper hand as you're gonna be at a disadvantage if A Talent for Murder doesn't go off.  If hoping to be overlooked for the terror squads is the key, then why not go full pathos and go minimum sized recon squads to try and fade away from the front, because you'd be sacrificing the initiative in mobility and thus very likely the first shot against an armoured opponent, or against some pretty overwhelming odds if that's a full press 20 strong squad.  

Dunno dudes, conventional wisdom might be a thing here, but when you need to outnumber your opponent at the beginning, are stacked up on objectives early and no ability to hit and fade from a lack of rhino or other mobile transport (and can't even relocate if you drop an eagle for a Raptor) then it's giving up all the natural bonuses that the 8th grants when it plays a lot better for other legions that try the same thing.  

Edited by Vykes

Storm eagles are categorically the worst transport you could choose for a single squad, compounded by slot inefficiency in terror assault. Which results in one of the worst heavy support picks out there for his list.

With his spare points from dropping the Raptors for AMs and taking not the storm eagle (I'd go for the fire raptor as I said but quad launchers, Scorpius, sicaran, Combi terminators,whatever else are all more viable) let's you spend points on rhinos and afford the negligible difference of two 10 man's.

A big mistake I've seen often in this tactica thread is using talent for murder as a basis for list building and game plan too much. The real night lord strength is teleport terminators, easy access to pods and turn 1 4+ cover. You can have min units in reserve to cap backfield objectives; with 6 scoring units on the field he'll have the upper hand there, and should have enough fire power to blast people in 2k. Spartans will give him a hard time, but that's kind of par for the course

Dude, I ain't gonna agree with ya if you think that Storm Eagles are categorically the worst (they sure are for a 5-10 man unless we're talking termies) while deriding 20 man squads that can take em as an assault transport. Though you sure aren't wrong about the need for melta bombs to combat the Spartan/Ceramite wall threats.  And I'm gonna assume you mean heavy support as a role rather than Heavy Support as a slot, given they're Fast Attack. 

But whatev's, lets run the numbers: there's 6 scoring units (5 of them 10 strong, 1 5 strong) if you drop the Night Raptors for a 10 man assault squad and split the 2 tacs and add rhinos you get the start of it.  Drop the eagle for a raptor, drop the multi-melta from the speeders and go with hunters+cyclone, and you have 50 points left over. Which, by then, you might as well switch over the chainglaives for power axes to deal with any artificer sergeants/terminators.  Likewise, there's no weapons to combat a Spartan, or Armoured Raiders except the melta bombs which isn't bad but that's being pretty reliant. 

It's light on bodies, it's poor on T2+ mobility, it has no long range support sans the Fire Raptor, 2 rhinos to either bunker up or relocate, 6 vehicles of which 3 are squadroned and with the hardest armour a 12.   Kill Mortis dreads and autocannon squadrons as soon as you see them!

Edited by Vykes

Alright, I've had some thoughts about all your feedback.

Here's an idea:

Praetor - JP, Paragon Blade, Digi Weapons, Meltabombs, Iron Halo, Trophies - 195

Apothecarion Detachment - 2 Apothecaries with JP - 120

Assault Squad - 10 man - 2 PSwords, Sgt with PAxe, Melta Bomb, Arti Armour - 220

Assault Squad - 10 man - 2 PSwords, Sgt with PAxe, Melta Bomb, Arti Armour - 220

Terror Squad - 10 man - Bolters, Headsman with Arti Armour, Melta Bomb & Glaive - 243

Terror Squad - 10 man - Bolters, Headsman with Arti Armour, Melta Bomb & Glaive - 243

Terror Squad - 5 man - Bolters, Headsman with Arti Armour, Glaive & Melta bomb - 158

Javelin Attack Speeders - 2 speeders - 2x HKMissiles, TLCyclone Missiles, Heavy Bolter - 130

Javelin Attack Speeders - 2 speeders - 2x HKMissiles, TLCyclone Missiles, Heavy Bolter - 130

Fire Raptor - Tempest Rockets, Reaper Autocannon Battery - 210

Total: 1999

The Apothecaries will join with the assault squads and advance up the field under the cover of night fighting.

Meh.

Looks way too streamlined and 40k-ish for my heresy tastes.

Your previous list had a lot more character, it just needed a little tweaking.

Also, I was under the impression you already owned the Storm Eagle and therefore wanted to include it in the list ? If not, right, get a Fire Raptor,  but if you got the Eagle include it by all means, they're a good unit.

Personally, I'd tweak this list ...

Praetor - JP, MC Paragon Blade, Bolt-pistol, Digital lasers, Iron Halo, Trophies - 205

Terror Squad - 5 man - 4 Volkite Chargers, Sgt w Glaive & Bolt Pistol - 170
Tactical Squad - 20 man - Bolters, Chainswords & pistols, Sgt with Glaive - 285

Javelin Attack Speeder Squadron - 3 Speeders - TLLascannon, Multimelta - 225
Night Raptor Squad - 10 man - 5 Chainglaives, 2 Meltaguns - 310

... like this:

Praetor, Jump Pack, melee goodies (in Night Raptors or Assault Squad, your choice)

Damocles

Apothecary, Jump Pack (see above)

2 Apothecaries on foot, joining the two big Terror Squads

1 unit of either Night Raptors  OR  an Assault Squad, if you think you need more scoring units (depending on the mission / scenario)

2 identical Terror Squads, 9 strong, 8 Volkites for the squad and Artificer, MB & Chainglaive for the Sergeant

1 Terror Squad, 5 strong, cheap equipment (riding in the Damocles)

2 x 2 Javelins (Missile loadout)

Storm Eagle (Lascannons, Melta)

1 unit riding in the Eagle. I feel a regular Tac Squad is a bit of a half-hearted option here. Sure they're 20 strong and can 'Fury' if the need arises, but the Eagle feels somehow wasted on them, and especially since you're using Terror Squads to fill your compulsory slots. Personally, I'd go for a big juicy (10 strong plus Apothecary maybe) Tac Support unit (scoring !) with weapons to taste (did someone just say CHOOM ?)

Should clock in around 2.2k or somesuch, and then you can still add a Fire Raptor to pump it to 2.4k or 2.5k if needed.

[Edited for spelling]

Edited by Unknown Legionnaire