[HH1.0] Night Lords Tactics

Verity

• 1 month later...

Thinking about starting a Night Lords Legion, I like the Terror Assault Rite of War as it gives certain units drop pods as dedicated transports, has anyone had any success/ list ideas for a 1500/ 2000 point starting force besides the 3 squads of Terror Squad?

I was thinking of a "Recon Comapny" RoW with Sevatar. The Prince of Crows goes inside an infiltrating terror squad (thus gaining Shrouded) and uses his WT to infiltrate other units and grant them Shrouded too. The only downside is no terminators of any kind, so no Contekar.

Terror assault is kind of the bread and butter of night lords. You get all the fun of optional pods in addition to mass infiltrating, extended survivability and improved cc. You'd want a fire raptor as the heavy support; it's a modest points cost but has an extreme amount of fire power. Probably some terminators to abuse teleporting with combi weapons and get more scoring in.

Recon company can stack super hard with the night fight and first turn bonus, but it's a coin flip to improve on terror assault's more reliable result. And you have to invest in recons, who are exceedingly overpriced.

So SkimaskMohawk  to expand on the terror squads I've got this list to 1686 what do you think?

Aim is for the contemptor to march up and gun down large blobs of infantry/ pop a few rhino's, the lasers to destroy any heavy armour and as they are separate they can target different units if necessary. The terminators and third drop pod to come down and suppor Sevatar/ land on an objective. Be nice to round the list up to 1750 and then 2000 points.

HQ

Sevatar

Troops

Terror Squad X9 (Sevatar to join this squad)

Chainglaive

Artificier Armour

Boltgun X7

Volkite Charger X2

Drop Pod

Terror Squad X10

Chainglaive

Artificier Armour

Boltgun X8

Volkite Charger X2

Drop Pod

Terror Squad X10

Chainglaive

Artificier Armour

Boltgun X8

Volkite Charger X2

Drop Pod

Elites

Contemptor Mortis

Kheres X2

Extra Armour

Terminator Squad

teleport (to land next to sevatar)

chainglaive

Power fist X2

Chain fist X2

Laser Raipier X1

Laser Raipier X1

Fast

Night Raptor X5

Chainglaive

Artificier Armour

Can anyone point me towards a Terror Assault list that will win against heavy armor? Like, maybe from a tourny or something? I'm struggling about how to expand my army. A list without Curze would be fantastic as I can't use him in Mournival Events.

So is putting volkite charger onto the Terror Squad better than boltgun?

I'm fairly new myself but I think the thought process is that Terror Squads are already so much more expensive than Vet Squads that you might as well take advantage of the Volkite.

I’m just thinking that if they’re in a drop pod and it lands close enough to charge are you better with a mix of bolters (first models to die) and volkite or pure volkite as they are assault weapons and they can charge afterwards? In 9th I’d say more bolters as you can rapid fire and charge but you can’t do that in 30k!

Also apothecaries in each of the Terror Squads?

Terror assault is kind of the bread and butter of night lords. You get all the fun of optional pods in addition to mass infiltrating, extended survivability and improved cc. You'd want a fire raptor as the heavy support; it's a modest points cost but has an extreme amount of fire power. Probably some terminators to abuse teleporting with combi weapons and get more scoring in.

Recon company can stack super hard with the night fight and first turn bonus, but it's a coin flip to improve on terror assault's more reliable result. And you have to invest in recons, who are exceedingly overpriced.

RAW you only need to invest in a single Recon Company. The other 2 compulsory choices can be tacticals.

I’m just thinking that if they’re in a drop pod and it lands close enough to charge are you better with a mix of bolters (first models to die) and volkite or pure volkite as they are assault weapons and they can charge afterwards? In 9th I’d say more bolters as you can rapid fire and charge but you can’t do that in 30k!

Can't charge coming out of a regular drop pod as they are not Assault Vehicles. Even still, you can never charge the turn you come in from reserves(could be wrong on that).

RAW you only need to invest in a single Recon Company. The other 2 compulsory choices can be tacticals.

I point you to this reply from Forgeworld that is, admittedly, 4 years old, but, still:

gallery_87293_12130_15223.pnghttp://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/323068-fw-reply-to-legion-recon-company-row/

Can't charge coming out of a regular drop pod as they are not Assault Vehicles. Even still, you can never charge the turn you come in from reserves(could be wrong on that).

Gosh it’s been that long since I’ve played 30k I’d forgotten the assault vehicle rule! So maybe coming out of the pod a squad of 9 Terror Squad with 3 volkite, 6 boltguns, Chianglaive on sgt. And an Apothecary. Hopefully enforce Night fighting on turn 1 to get a 5+ cover which gets boosted to 4+ because of legion trait or rite of war. (I can’t remember which)

If you're gonna go with Drop Pods, horror cult is a better RoW.

The advantage of terror squads and their volkites is infiltrating. If your plan is shooting only once to get into melee ASAP, then it's better to take a 20 man tac squad in Kharybdiss DT to benefit from "talent for murder".

Which book is horror cult in?

Legiones Astartes Army List book page 107.

Bad you can't charge after firing a rapid fire weapon like a bolter. Mixing guns on a squad is rubbish.

Go full volkite or go home, brother.

So in terms of what to give your terror marines/ what to put them in consider the following;

A drop pod is great for putting shooting units where they need to be, but not great for melee units as they can't especially take advantage of it.

Terror marines want to be charging, so bolters are often counter-productive. Volkites work very well with their statline and special rules.

About recons and the number required, it's 3. It doesn't tell you to remove the Support rule, it tells you they are compulsory; you must take them. None of the non-support troop options are ever referenced to as compulsory in normal list building, the only time when it's used is to force you to take them.

As to list build efficacy, I really have a hard time commenting on less than 2000pts or mournival stuff; I only have experience in playing 2000-3500.

Some basic stuff for strawberry fist is always go with combi weapons on teleporting terminators and always go with chainfists because it's silly not to. Night raptors are a little superfluous to all the melee you have already, swap em for javelins. Laser rapiers could be quads. For 2000, I'd say just get more fire power in there, you already have decent melee.

For Aztec, you kind of need to assess what makes terror assault good from a competitive standpoint. And those are; very good odds to get 4+ cover in the open first turn and access to various pods to manipulate drop pod assault. Give one squad of terror marines a pod and then take a dreadclaw and stuff a melee contemptor-cortus in there (or alternatively a dread-pod) and a leviathan in dread-pod (if mournival axes the leviathan, do double dreadclaw contemptors and a fire raptor for heavy), fill any remaining fast attack slots with javelins with mm, hks and missiles and take two units of two grav rapiers. A bare bones delegatus on top of all that puts you around 2000. You can trim some of the stuff if you want more points for troops, but you're getting 6 haywire shots a turn, a leviathans siege-drill, melta gun, two twin calivers and a minimum 18 str 8 from the speeders. You should be able to kill most vehicles with that amount of fire power, while being able to mop up dudes with the leviathan. Also most games are more than 2000 so you'll have more points for dedicated ap 2 coverage.

For your list as-is to 2000? Fire raptor or javelins; they'll both get you a great amount of medium-anti tank weapons. The fire raptor is better against Troops, can engage more targets at once and is more survivable, but the javelins are better at killing tanks and 2+ armour.