IG Reading List

robins_d

Hey all,

I'm presently reading the Horus Heresy paperbacks and am finding myself really digging Space Marines as a result. I wanted to ask for some IG-centric reading suggestions to get me fired up about my IG forces again. I know Yarick's story is supposed to be superb but are there any other good ones out there?

Cheers!

The Cain stories are always good, as are the Gaunt's Ghosts novels.

I can recommend Cadian Blood, and 15 Hours is highly rated.

There is a Death Korps of Kreig story (Dead Men Walking?) That gets good reviews, though I don't think it focuses directly on the Guardsmen. There is also a story based on a tank regiment (Treadheads??) that was pretty good.

There is also a story based on a tank regiment (Treadheads??) that was pretty good.

I think you're thinking of Gunheads - and I agree, it was a good book.  The Hammer of the Emperor omnibus has it, in addition to two other novels (Ice Guard - one about Valhallans that was pretty good, and Desert Raiders about, you guessed it, Tallarn...I didn't enjoy that one as much myself though) and a trio of short stories.  Overall, I enjoyed it, and I would recommend picking that up.

Personally I didn't like the Ciaphas Cain novel I tried. It was amusing for a bit but Cain's schtick wore thin on me after a while and his antics did little to fire me up about Guard.

I agree the Gaunt'a Ghosts books, in the other hand, are very good and inspiring. I especially enjoyed His Last Command.

I thought Storm of Iron portrayed the IG very well also, and highly recommend it.

If you're also looking for some superheavy books, I'd suggest Baneblade. It's quite a good read, and gives you an appreciation of just how cramped it is inside!

I also find that Lords of Mars (and the other books in that series, and while not entirely centered around IG) does portray Guard in a nice light, showing it's relations with the Mechanicum.

IG reading list (in order):

1. Dead Men Walking
  2. Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer
  3. Munitorum Manual
  4. Gunheads
  5. Dead Men Walking
  6. Baneblade
  7. The Vraks' Imperial Armours (V-VII)
  8. Dead Men Walking

Finally, you should also read Dead Men Walking in case you haven't; it really is the best 40K book flat out.  It makes most other Black Library books look like My Little Pony super happy fun time by comparison on how dark, and appropriately Krieg, it is.

I agree that "Dead Men Walking" is one of the best 40K books.

But, 15th hour, Cadia Blood & Rebel Winter are all good books too.

There is a good bit of Imperial Guard story in the Horus Heresy book called Legion too.

Enjoy your reading.

Sounds like I'm going to have to get my hands on a copy of Dead Men Walking. The prices on Amazon.com are hilarious, though -- used copies starting at $45! But one can download the eBook from the Black Library for about $9. It's a bit more than I'm used to paying for an eBook but it isn't any $45, that's for sure.

Definately, 100% Gaunt's Ghosts. They do vary in quality though... some are awesome whilst a few are only good. tongue.png Necropolis still remains one of my fav BL novels and if you haven't read it yet, you really should. Also, whilst not strictly Guard being IN focused, I think Double Eagle deserves a mention (if you can still get hold if it?) as it's a good "Imperium" flavour book too (it'll make you want to add a Thunderbolt, or two, to your IG army...).

The Primer is awesome if you can get it. Not read Baneblade but it's on my kindle to read shortly!

I really enjoyed  Rebel Winter. I put Dead Men Walking down. It didn't do it for me way too slow and I didn't like the civilian characters. 

I only paid about $9.00 or something like that for it a few months ago. Those prices seem really off.

I'll echo my brothers here in recommending the Vraks books from Forge World and the Guant's Ghosts series by Dan Abnett, both for differing reasons. Guant's Ghosts is some of the best sci-fi pulp 40k has to offer and essentially resonates with anyone familiar with the Sharpe tv series. Incidentally, my favourite of the series is also Necropolis. The scale and the grandeur of the battle that is conjured up by Abnett in that book can leave you lost for words.

Vraks parts 1 to 3 are something else entirely. They are much more like historical recountings, scenario books and codices rolled into one, inside hard-backed, glossy tomes. If you are into Guard (and at least have a passing interest in WW1) then these are the books for you. There are hundreds of pages to peruse over the course of the three books and, if you don't mind the slightly dry narrative, you'll enjoy the battle as it unfolds.

Besides this? Well there are plenty of books suggested here but, should you wish to branch out, I'd recommend reading more from Abnett - specifically the Eisenhorn and Ravenor trilogies. Hope this helps.

I'm still going through the Gaunts Ghost series. I'm on of the ones that likes Necropolis a lot but I think Guns of Tanith was just as good. Currently reading Straight Silver so still have a ways to go in the series.

Other then the Ghost series I havn't read much Guard books. I'm planning on picking up Baneblade soon 'cause a book about a big tank sounds cool.

I'm still going through the Gaunts Ghost series. I'm on of the ones that likes Necropolis a lot but I think Guns of Tanith was just as good. Currently reading Straight Silver so still have a ways to go in the series.

Other then the Ghost series I havn't read much Guard books. I'm planning on picking up Baneblade soon 'cause a book about a big tank sounds cool.

Read Dead Men Walking, it is about the Death Korps of Krieg and who they really are.  Almost a character piece on a regiment if you will. 

Read Dead Men Walking, it is about the Death Korps of Krieg and who they really are.  Almost a character piece on a regiment if you will. 

Yeah I'm also going to find 15 hours as well. Wouldn't mind if they released some Imperial Guard audiodramas. I've been enjoying the Garro series so far and think a series of audiodramas would be awesome to listen to.

The Vraks books really ram home what it's like being in the Guard. Six million Guardsmen die in the first two books, their lives expended as casually as you or I might discard a cigarette butt.

The planning for the Siege is just 'how many Guardsmen have to die to retake this world?'

Fasha -- you'll be happy to know that I downloaded and am now reading Dead Men Walking based on your recommendation. I'm on Chapter 8 and enjoying it.

The DKoK are even more hard core than I had imagined. Cool in their own way, but my Kreig-looking army are definitely not Kreigers as portrayed so good thing I've always done them as a DIY regiment.

But I'm wondering how the heck Karis Venner has a name and not a number???

Archived