Call of Chaos VI: Deprecators!

Ammonius

It's that time of year again! It's the Sixth Call of Chaos, and for me this will be a special challenge:

First, I am going to build a Chaos Land Raider with Dirge Casters:

gallery_60727_7283_243639.jpg

But also, I have vowed to finish my Chaos Warhound Titan:

gallery_60727_7283_212224.jpg

In addition, I hope to settle on a name for the Warhound. I have already decided that the Titan Legion that accompanies the Deprecator fleet is the Legio Extirpator, known as the Ruiners. I am confident that with the motivation that comes with the Call, a name to strike terror into my foes will be found.

Let the Call of Chaos Begin!

• 3 weeks later...

+++ FIRST OFFICIAL UPDATE: CHAOS WARHOUND +++

At last! Enough things are far enough along to merit an update.

First, the initial burst of construction has resulted in two legs, capable of supporting the hip module without it (the hip) being glued in place!

gallery_60727_7283_190837.jpg

That's about 63 separate parts in this picture, not including the 34 pins. Still, it's an awesome model, and as soon as you start to go vertical with the legs you really want to just put it all together, painting concerns be damned. Well, that's how I felt :)

Next, I spent time airbrushing in several layers of color into the interior spaces, and tonight I brushed on the metallic basecoats. I think Leadbelcher is one of my favorite GW paints.

gallery_60727_7283_182399.jpg

And finally, the rest of what I have been working on: The head plate has a few layers of color as I work up a dirty bone white. The upper arms for the weaons have all been drilled through with 1/4" bolts to allow for swapping, and the double-barrel turbo lasers have undergone some "chaosification".

gallery_60727_7283_246843.jpg

Also, I have made a pre-heresy symbol for the Legio Extirpator, which I think sums up the grim purpose of these war engines, even during the Great Crusade:

gallery_60727_7283_20028.png

Well, that's this update. I still need to decide on a name for this titan, but I have some time :) Thanks for looking!

I still need to decide on a name for this titan, but I have some time

You can always look to history for some ideas in that department.  For example, on French cannons King Louis the 14th used to inscribe the phrase "ultima ratio regum"  or "the last argument of the king"; a colloquialism of "the last resort of kings and common man" (the act of declaring war).    You could easily port that into 40k with something like "ultima ratio imperator" (last argument of the emeperor/warlord) for loyalists or "ultima ratio vastantis" (last argument of the despoiler).

History is full of little tidbits like this, and finding them and adopting them makes the hobby just a little more fun (well, it does for me, but I studied history, what can I say?)

That said, this is an ambitious vow- and I wish you all the best on it!

jawdrop.gif

How on earth did you do the interior of the warhound? It looks as if a tech-priest is bound to the machine as a sacrifice?!!!

Say more!

P.S. Excellent sculpting.

Whoah whoah whoah. The good folks at Forge World did all of the interior sculpting. The Chaos Warhound is different than the loyalist ones.

Ok, here are some of the ideas that I have been kicking around for the name of this Titan:

Either going with the hound imagery:

Canis Invisus "Hateful Dog/ Hound"

Canis Sceleratus "Accursed (along with a host of connotations) Dog/ Hound"

Or avoiding it:

Immolator Perfidiosus "Faithless Sacrificer"

Exitiosus Ustor "Destructive Cremator"

What do you think, O reader?

+++ FIRST OFFICIAL UPDATE: DEPRECATOR LAND RAIDER+++

I took a little time off from the Warhound to build the second unit in my Call of Chaos 6 vow. The difference in scale is noticeable, as is the confidence level of doing something you've already done twice :)

So, after Pre-Priming the sprues, doing some partial assembly and superglue texturing, we have the following:

gallery_60727_7283_279094.jpg

Sinister without looking half-alive. With the Defiler sensor in the driver's spot, and the tornado siren dirge casters, I think I kept the tank looking firmly like a machine.

Next, after some minor adjustments, I applied a final coat of black primer which resulted in:

gallery_60727_7283_173078.jpg

I am really happy with the result!

As always, Machinator's Oppressor style treads set the tank apart from the loyalist version, and even though I am trying to keep the spikyness within a certain range with my Deprecators, check out the silhouette of the assembled Land Raider:

gallery_60727_7283_19149.jpg

So there you go, thanks for looking!

Are you sure that Land Raider is spiky enough? I worry people may not realize it's a Chaos one with so few of them.laugh.png

Joking aside, I also like the look you've given the Raider. Gribbly and all mutated up has its place in Chaos armies, but I actually like less tentacles and more spikes and machine-y bits.

• 3 weeks later...

+++ SECOND OFFICIAL UPDATE: CHAOS WARHOUND +++

I realized that I had been working but not posting updates, so here we go!!

First, here are some images of the interior with most of the paint work done:

The cockpit:

gallery_60727_7283_185631.jpg

The rear compartment (held together by rubber bands for the photo)

gallery_60727_7283_91763.jpg

And the tech priest/ enginseer. Personally, I think he may be the only one still "alive" on board, fully integrated with whatever daemonic intelligence that drives the rest of the machine.

gallery_60727_7283_15853.jpg

Unfortunately, I got ahead of myself, and masked off the (mostly) completed interior, so for now, you get a teaser photo!

gallery_60727_7283_91126.jpg

Also, I have begun the metallics for the exterior! Here I have mixed some not-so-bright gold with a medium grey to get a slightly dull gold base coat that should support the final weathered steel color.

gallery_60727_7283_23182.jpg

And finally a little bit of Engineering. Since I want to be able to swap between all those weapons you see above, I have installed a bolt and washer setup based on this tutorial at Wild Boar Blog. These are two sections of PVC pipe that I have carefully cut to make sure the top and bottom are as paralel as possible. Then I installed the four magnets apiece you can see in the photo. Four seems to hold pretty well, but if needed I could install another four.

gallery_60727_7283_267170.jpg

So, there you go for this update! I will try to do a better job of taking photos as I progress, but only time will tell if I really do!

Thanks for looking!

And the tech priest/ enginseer. Personally, I think he may be the only one still "alive" on board, fully integrated with whatever daemonic intelligence that drives the rest of the machine.

Alive? Clearly you hadn't noticed the rather large hole in his chest... Don't think he is doing a whole lot of the living thing really... :P

Astounding work, I have always wanted to actually build a Titan but that is a project I will sadly put off for a bit.

-the boater

Alive? Clearly you hadn't noticed the rather large hole in his chest... Don't think he is doing a whole lot of the living thing really... tongue.png

Astounding work, I have always wanted to actually build a Titan but that is a project I will sadly put off for a bit.

-the boater

Heh, the more I look at this thing the more I think that too many things are alive that shouldn't be msn-wink.gif

Funnily enough, I have the piece that goes into the hole and connects him to the back compartment. I'm basing my judgement on the fact that he still has eyes and compared to the Princeps, the Priest seems focused and aware. once I everything is put together, I'll be sure to get what I'm talking about in a photo.

@the boater. This is a Chaos titan. I doubt a trivial thing like a huge hole in the chest would stop someone being alive ;)

Touché good sir...

@Ammonius: didn't know there was a piece that went there. That would make sense as to why it's a very semetrically made hole... I saw the hole and assumed that he had been ritually sacrificed or something chaos-ey like that. :P

-the boater

Edit: addition: @forte: for that matter I'm not sure if "alive" should be the correct term... It at least wouldn't be the term I would use ;)

+++ NOT AN OFFICIAL CHAOS TITAN UPDATE+++

Heh, I make myself laugh sometimes :)

Anyways, after a grueling day of airbrushing and then waiting for paint to dry, etc. I have the layered up base colors for the titan pretty much how I want them. Since I'm not all that creative (and I didn't want to buy all new paints) I'm using different parts of the same palette as I do for my Deprecators. I figure that Legio Extirpator seems well represented in orange and grey (and white and goldesque and silverish). Anyway here are a couple of bonus pics from the long weekend:

gallery_60727_7283_10295.jpg

gallery_60727_7283_302732.jpg

Thanks for looking!

+++

+++ OFFICIAL UPDATE: TITAN AND LAND RAIDER +++

Here we go!

First, some pictures of how the Land Raider is coming along:

gallery_60727_7283_105587.jpg

I like how well the brass symbols are coming out

gallery_60727_7283_190713.jpg

Especially on the Heavy Bolter mount:

gallery_60727_7283_119352.jpg

Wait...what the??!??! ATTACK ALL MOLD LINES!

gallery_60727_7283_89733.jpg

Ahh that's better :)

+++

Ok! Now to check in on the Warhound:

Here are some pictures of the assembled caps that will go on the shoulders to cover the weapon swap hardware:

gallery_60727_7283_142141.jpg

gallery_60727_7283_335811.jpg

Note the washer cunningly glued to the shoulder mount.

gallery_60727_7283_157062.jpg

Magne-tastic!

Next up, here are some pics of the results of my salt weathering experiment. I'm not 100% percent happy with the result, but like Bob Ross, I don't believe in mistakes, so I am going to go with the subtle rusty effect and see if the washes I plan to use pick them out any. Either way, I think I'm still on track to that "ancient battleship, risen from the black depths" effect I haven't ever mentioned :)

gallery_60727_7283_31538.jpg

gallery_60727_7283_112390.jpg

gallery_60727_7283_169531.jpg

And there we have it!

If you feel so inclined, let me know what you think. Thanks for looking!

+++

Archived