Call of Chaos VI: Deprecators!

Ammonius

The land raider looks amazing. Where did you find those treads?

Machinator248 sells them on ebay, they come in the three main sizes you may need. I love 'em.

I really dig the spikes on that Land Raider! Very original and well done. The paint on the Warhound is looking really nice, too. thumbsup.gif

Thank you! I have spent quite some time scouring ebay and the bits bins at GenCon looking for that one sharp-spiked "rake" so that I can use them on all Deprecator equipment.

+++ OFFICIAL UPDATE: DEPRECATORS LAND RAIDER COMPLETE +++

Behold! After painstakingly layering grey paint upon slightly different gray paint, mottling it with another slighlty different gray paint, and then slathering on washes of yellowish-brown, orangey-brown, black-brown, brown black, just black, slightly thinner black, and at least one wash of pretty much warm water, I declare this Land Raider fit for the table!!

gallery_60727_7283_14385.jpg

gallery_60727_7283_100176.jpg

gallery_60727_7283_76278.jpg

gallery_60727_7283_157919.jpg

gallery_60727_7283_126220.jpg

gallery_60727_7283_175792.jpg

So there we go! With the Land Raider done, it's all Titan, all the time from now till completion! Thanks for looking!

+++ UPDATE: LEGIO EXTIRPATOR CHAOS WARHOUND +++

And so, with the holidays upon us, we find ourselves with more time to get more done! Here are a couple of pictures of the past couple of day's progress:

Here we have the interior, with all the walls and extra parts in place. As you can see the hole in the tech priest's chest has been addressed :)

gallery_60727_7283_79291.jpg

And here we see the intricate hydraulics of the ankle, which I think will be completely hidden by armor. I considered doing the trim, etc on these hydraulics as practice for the much more visible ones at the hip.

gallery_60727_7283_276027.jpg

All in all, things are looking good!

+++

• 2 weeks later...

+++ UNOFFICIAL UPDATE: CUSTOM DECAL +++

As we charge down the home stretch of the Sixth Call of Chaos, I find myself in need of advice regarding custom decals. I have printed up a couple of sheets of 41st Millenium Legio Extirpator symbols on Testors Transparent Decal Paper.

Some of the sheets I sealed with Testors decal bonder, and it created a pink-orange halo around the black decals, and was really hard to work with once I floated the decal free from the backing (Thin and easily crinkled). After seeing that, and doing more Internet research, I tried sealing a page of symbols with gloss spray varnish, which performed much better, until I applied the decal, and then there was a really visible edge.

Since I have worked with purchased decals before, I went through my normal routine of applying Micro-sol repeatedly until I got the smooth edges I wanted, and eventually seem to have prevailed. I have also sprayed on a layer of Krylon matte varnish art seal, touched up the edges with paint, and put a layer of wash over the carapace, decal included. Here is what I am looking at now:

gallery_60727_7283_15259.jpg

And for reference, here is the full Post-Heresy Legio Extirpator Symbol that I used:

gallery_60727_7283_9983.png

So, does anyone have suggestions for making this process easier next time, or is the price of custom iconography a complicated pain-in-the-aft process? I guess it's a point that this is the biggest decal I have applied, but other modelers do things like racing stripes, etc right? Also, I wonder if I should have designed my Icon differently, to make it easier? Perhaps putting the ruined tower on a shield or the like?

Anyway, feedback and advice is definitely appreciated. Thanks for looking!

+++

+++ FINAL UPDATE: LEGIO EXTIRPATOR WARHOUND COMPLETION +++

Brothers! The time has come. Behold the Nuntius Exitii, "Messenger of Ruin"

gallery_60727_7283_265501.jpg

gallery_60727_7283_223231.jpg

gallery_60727_7283_65436.jpg

gallery_60727_7283_80379.jpg

gallery_60727_7283_180491.jpg

gallery_60727_7283_38037.jpg

gallery_60727_7283_148916.jpg

gallery_60727_7283_193606.jpg

gallery_60727_7283_191324.jpg

gallery_60727_7283_75030.jpg

gallery_60727_7283_113934.jpg

gallery_60727_7283_107162.jpg

And there you go! It's been quite an experience and I am happy with the results. Considering how many new things I tried for the first time with this model, and not only did I not ruin it, but I have a model worthy of the expense to bring it to the table, even if it's only there for deployment and a shooting phase. wink.png

Nuntius Exitii is also exerting influence over my project list. I intend to finish a set of LOS-blocking sandstone formation terrain pieces that I started last Spring, and alongside that, I have a mass of cultists and renegade guard to assemble and paint to stand between the Warhound and the inevitable packs of deepstrikers and outflankers that I will no doubt be facing from now on (bring it!)

Thanks to Captain Semper for running the Call to Chaos and to everyone else on B&C, together we inspire each other to greater acts of madness modeling thumbsup.gif

+++

Archived