New Army Blog: Storm Brothers (Primaris Chappy WIP on p.33)

geektom

New Year, new focus!

I only painted *1* model last year (and sadly, it wasn't even a Space Marine!).

For 2020, I am determined to turn that around!

I am still not 100% convinced to jump on the Primaris train, but the future seems pretty clear. To get ready, I am setting a goal of finishing all of my non or partially painted models in my existing army. I will then decide which Primaris/New models to incorporate.

Keep an eye on this space for a list and pictures of my painting commitment for 2020!

Hey dude, I remember following your project ages back, it's good to see you getting back to it. If I may be so bold, I'm currently running a painting challenge with a simple criteria, paint 1 model per month. I ran it last year to do exactly what you're doing now, to motivate me to be more hobby productive. If this sounds like something you're interested in. check it out here, The 12 Months of Hobby Challenge 2020.

Oooh exciting! This is a lovely looking army I've never actually seen before, despite it being on here 6 years or so. Looking forward to some updates.

thank you! Wow, I can’t believe it has been 6 years! Even more motivation!

• 1 year later...

ok, I know I have said it before, but this time I am really back- I have committed to a tournament in July, my first ever games in 9th unless I can sneak some in beforehand, and have new models on the way. Now it is a matter of determining the best, most efficient, easy to learn, and easy to travel with list that keeps new models to a minimum while upgrading enough to make it current. Stay tuned for more updates!

Ok, here is the list I will be building for the "Forcing Myself to Have a Balanced and Fun Life" Tournament 2021

Please keep in mind, the individual loadouts are because *that is what I have*: ie, both my tactical sgts have a powerfist because I built them that way. Because I like big fist go smash.

If I have time, I can go back and do replacements, but I need to start with a core list that I can finish in time for the tournament. I only have a couple of hours a week modeling time, so I have to be smart how I use it. All 9th edition/Primaris models will be new. Anything previous to that I have painted or mostly painted.

I am hoping I don't have to change the base size of my old models, but have to allow time for that just in case.

I have heard from a few folks that 3 Outrider squads isn't the best idea- I hear that, but I am committed to the theme. I have close to zero chance of winning my battles anyway, so I want to go "vrrrooom vrooom!" as much as possible.

Any critical errors, let me know!

Strikeforce - Grand Tournament (9CP - 1998PT - 2PT)

Battalion Detachment ( 3CP - 1382PT )

HQ:

WARLORD: Captain on Bike (105) Power sword

TRAITS: Chogorian Storm

Chaplain (105) Jump pack

RELICS: Master-Crafted Weapon (White Scars)

LITANIES: Exhortation of Rage

TROOPS:

Infiltrator Squad (168)

6x Infiltrator

1x Infiltrator Sergeant

Tactical Squad (210)

7x Space Marine

1x Space Marine Sergeant: Astartes chainsword, Power fist 1x Space Marine: Flamer 1x Space Marine: Missile launcher

Tactical Squad (215)

7x Space Marine

1x Space Marine Sergeant: Power fist 1x Space Marine: Missile launcher 1x Space Marine: Plasma gun

ELITES:

Vanguard Veteran Squad (209)

1x Vanguard Veteran Sergeant: Relic blade, Jump pack

2x Vanguard Veteran: Astartes chainsword, Jump pack, Storm shield

2x Vanguard Veteran: Lightning claw, Lightning claw, Jump pack

2x Vanguard Veteran: Thunder hammer, Jump pack, Storm shield

FAST ATTACK:

Bike Squad (220)

1x Attack Bike: Multi-melta

1x Biker Sergeant: Power sword

3x Space Marine Biker

1x Space Marine Biker: Grav-gun

Storm Speeder Hailstrike (150)

Outrider Detachment ( 3CP - 590PT )

HQ:

Primaris Chaplain on Bike (140)

CHAPTER COMMAND UPGRADE: Master of Sanctity

LITANIES: Canticle of Hate (Aura)

FAST ATTACK:

Outrider Squad (150)

2x Outrider

1x Outrider Sergeant

Outrider Squad (150)

2x Outrider

1x Outrider Sergeant

Outrider Squad (150)

2x Outrider

1x Outrider Sergeant

Welcome back! I look forward to seeing your Primaris! Especially as the owner of a biker chaplain and outriders myself, who also happens to be thinking of tackling a squad of Infiltrators some time this year...

I'm unironically hoping that is the tournament's actual name too! :biggrin.:

Welcome back! I look forward to seeing your Primaris! Especially as the owner of a biker chaplain and outriders myself, who also happens to be thinking of tackling a squad of Infiltrators some time this year...

Wouldn't that be great?

As a follower of this thread from the beginning, you know that I created my own Chaplain on Bike, so he is definitely the new model I am most excited about!

Quick question: are regular bikes still on the same sized bases? I assume the Outriders are larger, correct?

The painting is really nice! 

Wouldn't that be great?

As a follower of this thread from the beginning, you know that I created my own Chaplain on Bike, so he is definitely the new model I am most excited about!

Quick question: are regular bikes still on the same sized bases? I assume the Outriders are larger, correct?

Regular bikes seem to be on 75mm oval bases. On the webstore the loyalist bikes are on the long, oval style base but in the Codex there's a picture of the bikes on wider bases. 

The Chaplain and Outriders are on 90mm oval bases. 

ok, Primaris are on the way, but in the meantime, I need to finsih some long overdue models to fill out the list: the rest of my V Vets, their accompanying Chappy, and the Attack Bike- technically the first model ever painted for this army! The bike part of it, anyway!

New bases and base-converters on the way, too. Updating the infantry will be pretty easy- I am bummed the Tournament is forcing me to upgrade the regular bike bases, too. Hopefully I can find some good converters for them.

2021 WIP

Speak of the emperor! Look what just arrived!

Against some wise advice, I am going with 9 Outriders for the new list- since I have minimal chance of winning anyway, I might as well go strong on scheme. Hoping I can still find a way to incorporate the "Lightning Bolt Fork" look from the classic bikes.

2021 Tournament Add

These are going to look really nice in your color scheme!

Thanks! I hope so! The old bikes had some very natural places to place the colors- like how the fender insets were the same height as the lower leg, so painting them the same purple tied everything together in a line, and like I said above, trying to find a way to incorporate the lightning bolt.

Basic bike template

Ok, messing with the Outrider kit a bit.

First of all, soooo much better than the regular bike kit.

Secondly, if I carefully separate the cowl away from where it is attached to the foot, not only will it be a lot easier for me to paint, but if I use a thinner plasticard sheet, i can just fit in a lightning bolt. Here is my first test, just messing around for size and placement. Once I finalize this, all I have to do it cut out 20 of them, lol.

Outrider Bolt Test

I'm so happy to see this thread still going after all these years!

You have improved hand over fist and I applaud you!

I look forward to seeing the Primaris bikes in the Storm Brothers colors.

Thanks so much! I feel rusty as heck, to be honest.

Am I late to the party on the Impcat app? It is *awesome* for testing out paint schemes.

I love the Bladeguard Vet models but always worried my scheme would be too busy to work on such a detailed model- now I can test it out with no risk! What do you think?

Impcat App Bladeguard Vet TEST

Edited by geektom

You scheme on the Bladeguard is really good. They are going to look great when you paint them up yourself! I really like the yellow tabard.

thanks! I posted in a FB group also, and got a lot of feedback that the yellow border on the shield was too much yellow, but I like it and it is consistent with the smaller shields on my Vanguard Vets and Terminators.

I wish I could paint swords as well as the app, lol