New Army Blog: Storm Brothers (Primaris Chappy WIP on p.33)

geektom

I think the yellow edge on the shield is fine; it just means yellow is more prominent on them than on rank and file.

Thanks! It's still pretty prominent on the troops, because they have yellow helmets instead of white.

Regardless, I tried a few different options in Impcat, and I keep coming back to the yellow edge and white center.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, a few updates and thoughts as I get the Army "list ready" for a tournament in July:

• Primaris feel huge to paint, and man, the models are made really well.
  • Bigger size aside, my eyes are really deteriorating. Thought I was just out of practice (I am) but I also found out last week I am developing cataracts. Damn. More motivation to get this army complete while I still can.
  • A 5-model Squad is the perfect size project for me- enough "assembly line" to feel really efficient, not so much of any one thing that it makes me antsy, impatient, or frustrated. I find that just as I am finishing the 5th backpack or whatever, I am ready to be done with that "thing".
  • Disadvantage to using my system when learning new models: I don't know what everything is because I don't completely assemble models before starting to paint, so I miss things like Infiltrators only have 1 large shoulder pad each. This caused me to accidentally prep all 10 that came in the kit, and incorrectly base coat the other shoulders the wrong color, which is a big pain in the butt because I airbrush shoulder pads, and now I have to carefully mask the rest of the arm, not to mention setting up all my airbrush station again- so I lost time, instead of gaining any. I also almost forgot to add the leg-pouches and grenades.
  • It's been a lot of fun getting back in touch with the lore of my chapter again- remembering why sergeants have fur cloaks, and the bikes have horse tails and a battered wooden shield on the back. I forgot how much I like my army!
  • I have a *lot* of work to do to be ready in July- and that doesn't even account for learning how to play 9th edition! 
Edited by geektom

Dipping my toes back in too and honestly just focus on completing your army before learning the rules, Tom!

I can relate to the recent health concerns and I'm focusing on completing my army whilst I can before playing as I'm not sure how long I have left for painting in any speedy way!

Dipping my toes back in too and honestly just focus on completing your army before learning the rules, Tom!

I can relate to the recent health concerns and I'm focusing on completing my army whilst I can before playing as I'm not sure how long I have left for painting in any speedy way!

What part of the Central Valley do you live in?

Stockton, San Joaquin bud. You in the CV too?

no, I live in So CA, but I am from the Bay Area originally, go up that way often, and my daughter lives in Sacramento- we should get a game in!

Stockton, San Joaquin bud. You in the CV too?

no, I live in So CA, but I am from the Bay Area originally, go up that way often, and my daughter lives in Sacramento- we should get a game in!

Oh I am so down for that! Let me know the next time you're headed up, there's a few good gaming stops between here and Sac.

Well, these infiltrators are taking a lot longer than I had hoped, but they are finally coming together. Trying to find the right level of detail so that they look good enough for me to be happy but also keep on pace for the tourney.

Infiltrators WIP

Well, these are as done as they are going to get for now- if I have more time before the tournament, I will go back and push the contrast on the purple more, do some more lining, clean up some details... but I can't take any more time on them if I am going to have a chance of finishing the other models I have to add before the tourney in July.

On to Outriders next!

Storm Brothers Infiltrators

Ok, got started on the Outrider bodies, adding the lightning bolts and horse tails- cleaned up and ready to prime.

Also experimented with the “Mold It” silicone molding stuff for the first time to make faster emblems for the sides of the bikes- so easy to use and super happy with the result!

Outriders WIP

Using Silicone Mold

Edited by geektom

• 2 weeks later...

ok, 31 bases converted!

That's a lot of prep work! I know I'm not looking forward to the bases for my guys.

I found some "drop in" converters on etsy that are making it a lot easier- this fit pretty well, and I just need to fill in the gap- I will take some step by step pictures to show everyone.

Slowly but surely making progress on the outriders- justn need to basecoat the purple, then they can be assembled. Helmeted heads and backpacks are pretty much done except for detailing:

Outriders WIP

Also, pretty happy with this kit-bashed Libby with Jump Pack. Going mostly blue, but with yellow accents to tie to the army. Maybe add purple to the sword, still deciding.

Libby with Jump Pack WIP

Maybe purple blade or the symbols? I like using purple for my loyalists to denote force weapons over power weapons. The kitbash looks great, are you going to use a standard jump pack or one of the more blinged up ones from the vanguard veteran set? Also can't wait to see those outriders fully painted up. They are going to look so good in your paint scheme!

Maybe purple blade or the symbols? I like using purple for my loyalists to denote force weapons over power weapons. The kitbash looks great, are you going to use a standard jump pack or one of the more blinged up ones from the vanguard veteran set? Also can't wait to see those outriders fully painted up. They are going to look so good in your paint scheme!

Thanks so much!

Using the Sgt. one from the VV set- the one with the big Aquila on it, plus some extra purity seals- and going all yellow on that, like the rest of the army, so it will really pop against the blue.

Man here i am drilling holes and pitting all my helms on sticks! I need to try leaving them on the sprue next time.

Yeah, I even clip them and then re-glue then *back* onto sprues, like I did here. Kind of silly, but it works for me!