[HH1.0] Word Bearer's Tactics

Brother Keyaetus

Thank you for the input!

Well I think I should go trough few WB lists to get inspired, overall its the 30k versatility is love-n-hate thing for me since you can go for almost everything with every legion. 

EDIT:

Few things that I wonder if are worth;

• Storm Eagle with 20 tacticals?
  • Caestus Assault ram with 10 termies/GV
  • that Claw-HUGE-drop pod with 20 tacticals

I think 20 tacticals are just way strong under WB rules did you guys run them in such mass?

Another thing I would like to know your opinion;

• 2xLeviathan in DP vs. 2xMhara Gal  (i guess they would need to get DreadClaws)

I think both cost about the same, while having almost the same survivability (almost-Leviathan being better) did anyone used them in mass?

Thank you!

~BT

I have played 20 man tac squads in the past with and i have to say that i am pleased with them, but having more than 1 you really need a transport for them.

In my experience a 20man tact squad is best made CC oriented, with whole squad throwing down their bolters and grabbing the chainsword and have the diabolist/Kor Phaeron/Erebus/Zardu(i spit on this model and its very existance disgusts me) Layak perform a prebattle ritual and gift them with the dark channeling. 

I have only ever played 1 of either variation of those dread nought at any given time. And both are decent, but i do have to say that leviathan in most cases takes the cake in that comparison, simply because there is no proper way to transport Mhara Gal aside from kharybdis claw. So most of the time Mhara Gal has to footslog, and unless your army is heavy on armor, it will just get shot. Leviathan has a reliable transport in the form of dreadnought DP, and in general with his 4++ save and amazing weaponry, leviathan simply is the better way to go.

I have however experiemented on a hilarious combo of Forewarned and grimoired Mhara Gal for 2++ save, priceless...

edit: I hate Zardu Layak, I just have the need to express this feeling.

Well thank you for input!

I am getting closer to get some list together,  WB seems to be quite a puzzle for me :smile.:

On the other hand, Zardu is one of the models that got me into WB, with Mhara and Blade slaves. On the other hand I must admit I hate that Kor Phaeron model he looks so bad...the pose...the facial expression is like...I just took dump here  so what... But as we say ; 100 poeple  have 100 tastes :smile.:

I would like to ask few more;

• WB HQ choices - I might be still struggling with; no matter what WB HQ has to have 2 HQ 1-Diabolist 1-Chaplain these cannot be combined into 1 choice (Dia+chappy beeing one HQ model/slot)? This continues in the second question more :smile.:
  • Erebus - i have gone trough few treads - there is a consensus that he counts for both chaplain and diabolist. Moreover what does the "if Erebus is your army's WL , than its units may benefit from Dark Chanelling" does it mean that all units can get access to the roll? Or just the named ones ? Moreover they still have to pay the points for it right?
  • Deamons - what kind of deamon allies I should get, seems like Bel'kor is a staple HQ with pink horrors being there for troops. I mean I cant stand the look of the horrors (maybe if I would be 12 I would dig them...)  how about those deamonettes ones or bloodletters? (sorry i am not deamon player in 40k so I might got some names wrong)
  • Could deamons ride in WB transports? For example bloodletters in Strom Eagle? I know in 40k you cannot does this translates into 30k as well?

Thank you all in advance once again!

~BT

Edited by BloodTzar

Storm eagles are good and are fast attack which is not a busy slot compared to the assalt claws heavy slot. Saying that the kit is garbage and everyone I know that had one hated life while building it.

The assalt claw is also a beautiful model and a very effective delivery system. A friend often uses his with 18tacs and a forgelord or praetor and it's a pain to deal with.

Leviathans vs mhara is pretty simple, levi is just better for the points although they get really expensive with a pod. Thing with the levi is you get more variety in weapon, ac option and a better save.

Having said that the mhara gal is a stunning model and is fun to use with odd little rules, i5 all the time, forcing moral checks from shooting and the forced reroll of saves it causes in combat. If it was immune to melta and armourbane or had a good amount of attacks I'd take it in every list but it often feels lacking for 305pts

Also Layak is boss (until argel tal is here) shame on you for the hate

Edited by Jimm

Daemons:

Be'lakor is great but expensive and hated

Daemon princes get destroyed by volkite, kheres, Sicarans... You get the gist, an expensive trap imo but can be OK.

Herald can be fun and have some nice tricks like reducing your enemy entire army by 1ld or i10 ap2 for anti praetor.

Keeper of secrets is excellent for the price

Best troops imo are daemonetts, cheap, quick, high ini & attacks with rending for low points.

Thank you for the input!

Well I think I should go trough few WB lists to get inspired, overall its the 30k versatility is love-n-hate thing for me since you can go for almost everything with every legion. 

EDIT:

Few things that I wonder if are worth;

• Storm Eagle with 20 tacticals?
  • Caestus Assault ram with 10 termies/GV
  • that Claw-HUGE-drop pod with 20 tacticals

I think 20 tacticals are just way strong under WB rules did you guys run them in such mass?

Another thing I would like to know your opinion;

• 2xLeviathan in DP vs. 2xMhara Gal  (i guess they would need to get DreadClaws)

I think both cost about the same, while having almost the same survivability (almost-Leviathan being better) did anyone used them in mass?

Thank you!

~BT

Well I personally run the Serrated Sun Rite of War Almost exclusively, I like Argel Tal, I like his chapter, and that rite runs REALLY well both in game and thematically....Think about it, you are LITERALLY raining hell down on your opponent. 

All my infantry come out of pods, all my tanks and dreads start on the board. The Mhara Gal is incredibly useful but most definitely overpriced at 305 points, he was good at around 270-280 or so, so hes overpriced but not by a huge margin but still most definitely has his uses (looking at you storm shield drakes and Pallsaidareum Custode squads!) 

Because of the restrictions regarding Gal Vorbak and Tacs in Pods I use Zardu or Erebus for Dark Channeling alot, which makes the units far better and when hitting the ground means they need less support. 

Well thank you for input!

I am getting closer to get some list together,  WB seems to be quite a puzzle for me :smile.:

On the other hand, Zardu is one of the models that got me into WB, with Mhara and Blade slaves. On the other hand I must admit I hate that Kor Phaeron model he looks so bad...the pose...the facial expression is like...I just took dump here  so what... But as we say ; 100 poeple  have 100 tastes :smile.:

I would like to ask few more;

• WB HQ choices - I might be still struggling with; no matter what WB HQ has to have 2 HQ 1-Diabolist 1-Chaplain these cannot be combined into 1 choice (Dia+chappy beeing one HQ model/slot)? This continues in the second question more :smile.:
  • Erebus - i have gone trough few treads - there is a consensus that he counts for both chaplain and diabolist. Moreover what does the "if Erebus is your army's WL , than its units may benefit from Dark Chanelling" does it mean that all units can get access to the roll? Or just the named ones ? Moreover they still have to pay the points for it right?
  • Deamons - what kind of deamon allies I should get, seems like Bel'kor is a staple HQ with pink horrors being there for troops. I mean I cant stand the look of the horrors (maybe if I would be 12 I would dig them...)  how about those deamonettes ones or bloodletters? (sorry i am not deamon player in 40k so I might got some names wrong)
  • Could deamons ride in WB transports? For example bloodletters in Strom Eagle? I know in 40k you cannot does this translates into 30k as well?

Thank you all in advance once again!

~BT

Answering on your questions regarding WB HQs

Yes, you must at all times have atleast two HQs in a WB primary detachment, and one of those has to indeed be a chaplain or a centurion.

Erebus does count as a chaplain, and so fills the Charismatic Leadership rule of our legion. You also need a second compulsory HQ, which can be a praetor, centurion, or any consul type without the support officer rule. For the Rite of War: Dark Brethren, Erebus checks also the "must have a diabolist in your army" requirement. 

As for the dark channeling thing on Erebus, it just means that if you have Erebus as the warlord of your army, it unlocks you the ability to buy dark channeling for the units mentioned in the DC rule, just like having a diabolist in your army would.

And to answer the question about the 2 flyers, I'd say why not both the Storm Eagle and the Caestus are good but the main issue I have with these is the fact that they come from reserve. At standard point game (2,5k/3) you are killing yourself if you reserve rolls are bad. Plus the fact that these units mainly pay for themselves when they are in mele it's almost like you play with a 300/400 pts loss for 3/4 turns which can make a huge difference. The caestus is even more pricy mhich makes it even worst and he is in the very "competitive" Heavy Support slot + the fact that 10 termis is really expensive means that I won't really consider the Caestus for lower point games unless you have some reserve manipulation like a damocles or scrier's gaze from Lorgar (never underestimate that one, it can be game breaking) 

Concerning daemons I always ply the Tzeentch guy but I guess that all of the others are decent, plaguebearers are very versatile with the ability to damage vehicles, the girls for the rending and the mobility and the bloodletters for the ap3 sword to melt marines (quite handy in 30k ^^) if you want more detail take a look at the daemon tactica I guess. 

Don't hesitate to post you list on the related section if you want some advice :) 

Oh and on the daemons in transports question unfortunately allies can never ride in transports in 30k. Shame as 20 daemonetts and a few heralds would be amazing in a Spartan!

Also 10 gal vorbak can't fit in the assalt ram with R.a.w as they aren't in Terminator armour and the rules only applies to this rather than just ignoring bulky. Some people wouldn't mind you doing this but others may call you names!

Well once again big thanks to all replies! It is getting me closer to finally put up a list; that  I just need to somehow write down :whistling:

Furthermore, as mentioned before I have some number of "left-over" models, that I would not like to use for BA, one of the is my Caestus, but yeah that thing at current costing is way too useless...There are more probably...

Moreover, I just made a bargain with a friend of mine and bought his FW Khorne DP with Herald, one of the many factors why I decided go for WB, however I have a feeling that I might never place those model on the table since they are both close to unless as well :wacko.: Its all Tzeench and some Slaneesh...Yet I am so new to 30k and deamons, I think I never faced pure deamon army in 40k... (oh the price for DP+Heral=18EUR...he had it in box since he got it from FW for 3yrs:yes: :wub: )

Lastly, I am more keen on the Dark Brethren RoW, although when sum-ed up there is little gain for much lost. On the other hand, Shattered Sun RoW is neat, but way to close to my 40k BA. So I wanted to go for something little different, I like the idea of weirdo-psychers that play with the (warp) fire.  Furthermore, I just don't want to get into the 30k, copy pasta OP units all over my lists, this might be reason why I think my SoH would use dual Levies. I think WBs should use Mhara :wink: (cant find a way how to slide 2 in, while having some fun core)

~BT

PS. Few questions at the end;

• WB Librarians - do we use them? I know we have the burning lore thingy, however these guys are solid beat-sticks with a chance of getting 3+1 spells...what is their problem?
  • Aphotecaries - can they join Zardu and fat-boys? I mean they become a command squad, and the white-guys can join one of those; does it mean they might just form some sort of super unit with some CC preator/Lorgar?
  • Ashen Circle - 5 of them going suicidal with the phospex? Or the are still expensive?
  • Phospex - is there any place for Siege breaker - I know I get the cheesy part, just bought 3xQuads for the WB (maybe they will end up in SoH army) is hardly cant think of any better cost/effect ratio in game, but do they need phospex as well?
  • Prefered anti AV for WB? lascan batteries? Lonely Spartan doesn't seemt to do the job alone. I was thinking about veteran squads in rhinos with ML, however than I need to go for some other RoW than Dark Brethren.

Thank you in advance

~BT

Edited by BloodTzar

1. Yes, they're good for Word Bearers. Zardu, a Burning Lore Chaplain and a ML2 Librarian is well-worth-it.

2. No. Apart from the fact that the Blade-Slaves are not a Command Squad (they just can be taken like one) they are also Daemons: Apothecaries can't join Daemons.

3. Not worth it. All Heresy units are better value at their max unit size, and Ashen Circle are overpriced even then. Pass.

4. Quad Mortars have more than just phosphex canister shot. Shatter shells are brilliant for anti-armour! Siege Breaker is good, but I would maximise his utility - take some heavy weapon Infantry to give Tank Hunters to, and put him with them.

5. Same as the other Legions - graviton for Spartans, laser destroyers for heavy armour, shatter shells for medium armour (among other things). Also, Daemons can help - if you can summon Horrors in a rear arc, Flickering Fire will threaten most Tanks.

Well once again big thanks to all replies! It is getting me closer to finally put up a list; that  I just need to somehow write down :whistling:

Furthermore, as mentioned before I have some number of "left-over" models, that I would not like to use for BA, one of the is my Caestus, but yeah that thing at current costing is way too useless...There are more probably...

Moreover, I just made a bargain with a friend of mine and bought his FW Khorne DP with Herald, one of the many factors why I decided go for WB, however I have a feeling that I might never place those model on the table since they are both close to unless as well :wacko.: Its all Tzeench and some Slaneesh...Yet I am so new to 30k and deamons, I think I never faced pure deamon army in 40k... (oh the price for DP+Heral=18EUR...he had it in box since he got it from FW for 3yrs:yes: :wub: )

Lastly, I am more keen on the Dark Brethren RoW, although when sum-ed up there is little gain for much lost. On the other hand, Shattered Sun RoW is neat, but way to close to my 40k BA. So I wanted to go for something little different, I like the idea of weirdo-psychers that play with the (warp) fire.  Furthermore, I just don't want to get into the 30k, copy pasta OP units all over my lists, this might be reason why I think my SoH would use dual Levies. I think WBs should use Mhara :wink: (cant find a way how to slide 2 in, while having some fun core)

~BT

PS. Few questions at the end;

• WB Librarians - do we use them? I know we have the burning lore thingy, however these guys are solid beat-sticks with a chance of getting 3+1 spells...what is their problem?
  • Aphotecaries - can they join Zardu and fat-boys? I mean they become a command squad, and the white-guys can join one of those; does it mean they might just form some sort of super unit with some CC preator/Lorgar?
  • Ashen Circle - 5 of them going suicidal with the phospex? Or the are still expensive?
  • Phospex - is there any place for Siege breaker - I know I get the cheesy part, just bought 3xQuads for the WB (maybe they will end up in SoH army) is hardly cant think of any better cost/effect ratio in game, but do they need phospex as well?
  • Prefered anti AV for WB? lascan batteries? Lonely Spartan doesn't seemt to do the job alone. I was thinking about veteran squads in rhinos with ML, however than I need to go for some other RoW than Dark Brethren.

Thank you in advance

~BT

My 5 cents:

1) Librarian has its place, because being the supreme psychic force in age of darkness that the word bearers are, its always useful to have more casters and warp dice on the board. Remember that a librarian can't get the burning lore upgrade, as its available only to Centurions, Praetors and Diabolist/Chaplain consuls. So mastery lvl 2 is all a librarian can get in the legion.

2) as said above, apothecaries can't join the blade slaves, but a primus medicae consul can, and if feel no pain is what you are after, rolling on biomancy for the sake of getting endurance, can often be quite fruitful, at least in my experience.

3) As cool as their concept and models are... as they are now, ashen circle is quite over costed for what it brings to the table no matter how much i want to love them, they are much like possessed marines in 40k csm codex in that respect.

4) Phosphex is a strong anti infantry solution most of the time, and does absolutely demand a degree of respect from anyone who is forced to face it. But the terror of Phosphex is often overrated and overhyped, as it is not the unstoppable end of all life, as it can be circumvented with 2+ saves and even a lowly rhino can protect legionaries from the most of it, not to mention the somewhat "limited" range phosphex rapiers have. Since Siege breaker doesn't come with the support officer rule, i can easily find a place and use in the WB force.

5) For strong, cost effective and reliable antitank power is best provided by a unit of Laser vindicators, their only and perhaps biggest downside is that they occupy the only HS slot open to you in the Dark Brethren rite.  But laser rapiers are a waste of both an elite slot and points in my opinion.

Hello guys once again many thanks!

I go right to the questions; 

• In regards the Libby upgrade; I have gone trough all the HH books, probably I must have overlooked it , but I have found entry in book one that mentioned consul upgrade where you can go for 3 levels 25p per lvl. Did I miss something?
  • Thank you for the clarification on the Aphotecary I have re-readed and Slave blades are used INSTEAD conventional CS. Firstly, I tought they are considered to be "unconventional" CS however they are just HQ
  • Lastly, what is your anti tank choice when going dark brethren? All I can think of are Storm Eagles; pain-to-build models, yet getting me closer to Shattered Sun RoW
  • Few deamon questions - DP of Khorne yay or nay? Anyway point of fielding anything khorne related besides the looks?
  • Warp charges - what is the optimum I should aim for while going for 3k army with Lorgar, Zardu the summoner and some random psy-fun?
  • Centurion = Consul or Centurion =/=Consul? I am sorry, my local club is being hyper competitive, so I am used to this kind of Rule-layering. While centurion gets the Consul upgrade - he is no longer centurion thus being able to contribute from burning lore?
  • Shattered Sun Row - no immobile units - does this cover the rapier batteries? I mean they are artillery aka immobile

I mean I am getting the impression while fielding EREBUS and ZAYAK I should not go for DB RoW but for some "common" non-legion-specific ROW that allows me to get some handy FOC switches or Shattered sun. 

PS. My first WB list :)

Edited by BloodTzar

Quick question if I want to take a librarian since he is a support officer does that mean I have to take a normal compulsory HQ in addition to the Charismatic Leadership requirement ??? I can't just take a librarian and chaplain my only HQs can I ????

Quick question if I want to take a librarian since he is a support officer does that mean I have to take a normal compulsory HQ in addition to the Charismatic Leadership requirement ??? I can't just take a librarian and chaplain my only HQs can I ????

Correct. As a Word Bearer, anything with Support Officer must be your 3rd HQ choice.

-Liby is only up to lvl 2 

-Apo for the blade slave an only be a primus medicae 

-Storm eagle is mainly a transport with some guns, not the opposite. It's not really a main anti tank unit. PS: it's Serrated Sun, not Shattered Sun ^^ 

-Take a look at the daemon tactica, will be more efficient I guess. 

-I'd say at least 9 WC. 

-For me the limitation of the rite only limits you to not taking tarentulas and jump units with no transport. 

Hello guys once again many thanks!

I go right to the questions; 

• In regards the Libby upgrade; I have gone trough all the HH books, probably I must have overlooked it , but I have found entry in book one that mentioned consul upgrade where you can go for 3 levels 25p per lvl. Did I miss something?
  • Thank you for the clarification on the Aphotecary I have re-readed and Slave blades are used INSTEAD conventional CS. Firstly, I tought they are considered to be "unconventional" CS however they are just HQ
  • Lastly, what is your anti tank choice when going dark brethren? All I can think of are Storm Eagles; pain-to-build models, yet getting me closer to Shattered Sun RoW
  • Few deamon questions - DP of Khorne yay or nay? Anyway point of fielding anything khorne related besides the looks?
  • Warp charges - what is the optimum I should aim for while going for 3k army with Lorgar, Zardu the summoner and some random psy-fun?
  • Centurion = Consul or Centurion =/=Consul? I am sorry, my local club is being hyper competitive, so I am used to this kind of Rule-layering. While centurion gets the Consul upgrade - he is no longer centurion thus being able to contribute from burning lore?
  • Shattered Sun Row - no immobile units - does this cover the rapier batteries? I mean they are artillery aka immobile

I mean I am getting the impression while fielding EREBUS and ZAYAK I should not go for DB RoW but for some "common" non-legion-specific ROW that allows me to get some handy FOC switches or Shattered sun. 

PS. My first WB list :smile.:

1) I have no memory of seeing a librarian being able to go to ML3 in heresy, if such a rule exists, it is beyond my knowledge and out sight for the majority of the community as well.

2) Bladeslaves  are a iffy unit, can only be brought together with zardu and zardu has to hang around with them, their low model count makes me scared of using them.

3) Storm Eagle isn't really an antitank tool, as said above, its mostly a transport. I am occasionally using a duo of Fire Raptor Gunship for wrecking tanks, hellstrikes can dent a tank and the autocannons are nice for getting to side and rear armor.

4) Daemon princes are bit meh in their current form, regardless of their alignment in my oppinion, but i believe that with proper planning and tactics, anything can be made viable, even if its not optimal in effectiveness. Who ever says that "Khorne is useless and you should just go with daemonettes and tzeentch" is fooling you and themselves, for even if the Blood Crushers are lacking even in age of darkness, the Bloodletters and Flesh Hounds however are not, not to mention Bloodthirsters. How i often play daemon allies is that i use the daemon elements for cc oriented tools, and leave the shooting for my legion. Khorne is viable, even if the rest of the world thinks that just because tzeentchian psychic mumbojumbo is the only way to go. Its time to let go of the traumas of 40k everyone.

5) getting a lot of WCs is hard, and i too think that trying to get more than 9 is gona cost you too much for it to be actually beneficial.

6) Centurion without any consul upgrade = a Centurion. Centurion with a consul upgrade, for example, a chaplain upgrade = a Consul. They are two very different things. So if you buy a librarian upgrade for your centurion, you can't give him burning lore.

7) Immobile units are considered unable to move at all, such as tarantula sentry guns. Rapiers are capable of movement, even if its not a wise thing to do most of the time, so they are not "immoblie"

And tho it was said already, im going to repeat it, its Serrated Sun, not a shattered sun :). With Zardu you can't bring daemon allies however due to RaW being :cussed up and RaI is a mystery to us, because the rules don't tell us what lvl of alliance do the daemons hold with the word bearers when supposedly "unlocked" via Layaks special rule. Same goes for Erebus, but that i somewhat debatable because the Rule is the same "Harbringer of Chaos" that Kor Phaeron has, and in Kor Phaerons entry the daemons are listed as Fellow Warriors. 

Quick question guys, can we roll DC with Lorgar?

What is this DC? Dark Channeling? If so, then no.

Having Lorgar in your Army doesn't unlock the ability to take dark channeling, nor can Lorgar roll on the Dark Channeling table in order to get buffs.

I have to say, this thread is quickly becoming the Word Bearers Q&A thread.

Having Lorgar in your Army doesn't unlock the ability to take dark channeling, nor can Lorgar roll on the Dark Channeling table in order to get buffs.

Ah balls, would've been a nice addition.

seems to be a few drawbacks to running Lorgar :/

Alot of the questions asked are generally style of play on normal legion units.

In a more tactical fashion,

I'm struggling to find a row I like to fit an idea I have in mind, so I'm running no row

Idea i've got is:

Layak and Blade Slaves

Erebus and a 15 man tactical squad

Lorgar and a 15 man tactical squad

2 squads of Gal Vorbak, PF and power axe

Mhara Gal

2 Sicaran Venators and Lascannons

supported by militia:

Force commander with cult horde and tainted flesh

2 x 50 man units of inducted levy.

I liked the idea of word bearers talking militia and standard soldiery into fanatacism so I really wanted to run the levy.

My idea of word bearers were large squads, and these seem the most fitting place to put Lorgar with his rules

I wanted to run some nails cc units, and Gal vorbak are insane and I love the models.

Mhara Gal for fluff and rule of cool. plus his rules seem fun

Venators for the needed anti tank

layak because, well, layak.

Idea being the 100 levy with zealot, fear, fnp and rending run infront of the astartes providing a 3+ cover to everything behind them due to the warmaster's due rule.

the Venators blast tanks, layak floats around summoning things and the rest of the force moves forward.

any suggestions on this list?

make it more competitive?

cheers in advance

I'm struggling to find a row I like to fit an idea I have in mind, so I'm running no row

Idea i've got is:

Layak and Blade Slaves

Mhara Gal

supported by militia:

I liked the idea of word bearers talking militia and standard soldiery into fanatacism so I really wanted to run the levy.

My idea of word bearers were large squads, and these seem the most fitting place to put Lorgar with his rules

I wanted to run some nails cc units, and Gal vorbak are insane and I love the models.

Idea being the 100 levy with zealot, fear, fnp and rending run infront of the astartes providing a 3+ cover to everything behind them due to the warmaster's due rule.

the Venators blast tanks, layak floats around summoning things and the rest of the force moves forward.

cheers in advance

I have questions, such as is the militia an allied detachment? or is this an army of Dark Compliance? 

Second question being: how many points is that list supposed to be? you have 3 master of the legion models in the list atm, and you can have one for every 1k points. 

Having Erebus, and Zardu alongside Lorgar in a list is inconvenient. Not only do i have an issue with its fluffiness, but also its a huge waste of points to have all those special characters, Erebus most of all is a waste if you deicide to bring  Zardu, whom i would leave home as well. I would drop them both and just go with regular Diabolist(if you are into the Dark Brethren RoW) and Chaplain consuls to fill the charismatic leadership.

If you're bringing Zardu nonetheless, i would recommend switching the bladeslaves for another squad of Gal Vorbak to act as his bodyguard.

Gal Vorbak work as body guards for Lorgar as well, because they have that Fleet&Crusader synergy to roll those sixes for running to boost their footslogging speed. Im always pretty iffy about putting Lorgar into low toughness units like tacticals, it always feels like Lorgar is either tanking for the worthless mass in a more vulnerable state, or his presence in the squad is close to pointless, so i would suggest you put Lorgar into a squad of Blessed sons as well. 

I can't help myself, but i believe majority of the community are really overlooking the laser vindicator, and go for Venators instead. I believe that Laser Destroyer Vindicator is superior to Ventator, when it comes to pure tank destroying capability. Sure, venator is s10, but Laser is twinlinked and can be fired as heavy 3 plus the vindicator is way cheaper than a sicaran.

Edited by NoLifeKing

Idea i've got is:

Layak and Blade Slaves

Mhara Gal

supported by militia:

cheers in advance

I have questions, such as is the militia an allied detachment? or is this an army of Dark Compliance?

Second question being: how many points is that list supposed to be? you have 3 master of the legion models in the list atm, and you can have one for every 1k points.

Having Erebus, and Zardu alongside Lorgar in a list is inconvenient. Not only do i have an issue with its fluffiness, but also its a huge waste of points to have all those special characters, Erebus most of all is a waste if you deicide to bring Zardu, whom i would leave home as well. I would drop them both and just go with regular Diabolist(if you are into the Dark Brethren RoW) and Chaplain consuls to fill the charismatic leadership.

If you're bringing Zardu nonetheless, i would recommend switching the bladeslaves for another squad of Gal Vorbak to act as his bodyguard.

Gal Vorbak work as body guards for Lorgar as well, because they have that Fleet&Crusader synergy to roll those sixes for running to boost their footslogging speed. Im always pretty iffy about putting Lorgar into low toughness units like tacticals, it always feels like Lorgar is either tanking for the worthless mass in a more vulnerable state, or his presence in the squad is close to pointless, so i would suggest you put Lorgar into a squad of Blessed sons as well.

I can't help myself, but i believe majority of the community are really overlooking the laser vindicator, and go for Venators instead. I believe that Laser Destroyer Vindicator is superior to Ventator, when it comes to pure tank destroying capability. Sure, venator is s10, but Laser is twinlinked and can be fired as heavy 3 plus the vindicator is way cheaper than a sicaran.

Yes, sorry I should clarify,

- 3k Army List

- the militia are an allied detachment

- I've since dropped Erebus for a normal chaplain

- Looked up that purely having Layak in the force gives access to DC so he doesn't have to be warlord. I feel he's also a solid investment, being able to choose his two powers is enough for me :)

However I'm not up to date on the books, I've just finished first heretic and so how is it not fluffy?

The Venator is more for the model, it's a awesome model. Also, the strength 10 ordnance is especially helpful as my group runs Spartans/Custodes tanks with flare shields in abundance, so the armour pen helps.

I'very dropped the blade slaves, was mainly using layak for summoning so he'll be at the back somewhere or in a tactical squad. Lorgar with the vorbak sounds like a good move so I'll likely do that. The adjustments have given me around 100 - 150 points to spare. Any recommendations?

Imo Layak is well worth taking over a standard diabolist as hes a major buffer and works amazingly well in a squad of gvb and Lorgar.

His weaknesses is he gets stomped in combat but when lorgar is there that's not a problem.

On a plus side he buffs your combat res and sweeps by 1, can buff your gvb inv by 1 and then utilise any other power you fancy. This and he adds an extra wc dice over other hq. Oh and he adds zealot which with gvb is fantastic.

He's an auto Inc for most of my lists that include Lorgar as they just work so well together with gvb or even slaves if you want to pod them.

But that's just my experience of him

Edited by Jimm

Hello guys, 

quick one, I wonder what you think of this little combo;

What you need;

• Zardu Layak - since he can get sacrifice 
  • Mhara - plasma cannon or dual plasma for max use
  • Erebus - not needed but can be a nice addition to the whole combo

How it work;

• Drop Erebus into enemies force,DP RoW, just to give them the 12" debuff, best with some suicidel-plasma tactical  support unit, 
  • Use Layak in Psy phase, to get out the Herald of Nurgle - that can get 40p of wargear - one of them is Doomsbell (-1 LD) artifact (effective once the bearer is on board)
  • When using Erebus, he can now do some nasty Psy-shrieking (YAYAYYA...scary screams). Going for lowest LD -1 is that on avg somewhere around 7(6 if going for those pesky rappiers) and the avg on 3D6 is around 11, almost a squad wipe...or at least LD check at the end of phase on the lowest LD -1 :whistling: 
  • Shoot the Mhara at juicy stuff now at -2 LD , trying to clip most units and profit if they are in Erebuses 12" LD de-buff zone. This can be devastating even for units with IC.

On paper this might make lot of armies run home before all the fun has even started. I know it is somehow pricey and needs some dedication, but can be just mean :smile.:

Opinions?

~BT

Edited by BloodTzar

Well it sounds nice on paper but to enact this combo you'll need quite a lot of luck. Get the spell off, being close enough, hit with the guns. Maybe you can try with the herald as an ally to avoid any of the random effect of the combo ^^ 

Yep. 

It all sounds good, and don't get me wrong, I love combos like that, but all in all the effects and potential outcome are depending on to many variables, especially with the summoning.

Go for it, more power to you, really. But don't expect it to work particularly well.