[HH1.0] Word Bearer's Tactics

Brother Keyaetus

• 5 weeks later...

I'm quite close to finishing my RG so I was looking for making some trades with friends in order to set up my next one: Word Bearers.

I already have a spartan which will hold a Breacher Squad (+ QG and/or Apotechary you tell me) and a Land Raider to host something else. I'd like to deploy ghal Vorbak as well and then finish the points (to 3k) with Daemons (Let's say roughly 2k WB 1k allied, minding also the new book coming this year, so on these I'll be holding a bit longer).

How do you think I should plan the army? Corner pieces:
- Spartan full of breachers
- Land raider (full of what?)
- Ghal Vorbak
- Maybe a Deredeo or Leviathan since I don't have them in my RG and I don't dislike their model :)

Regards: )

First if you want to ally with daemon you will have to limit your army to one heavy support choice. So if you want to pick a spartan, you'll have to take it as a dedicated transport for terminators or burn the precious heavy support choice instead of taking a leviathan or a deredeo. Same for the land raider, though you can take a squadron of phobos raiders.

Best way to get some Gal Vorbaks (no h :p ) is to use a spartan or some drop pods like dreadcalw if you have 5 of them or Kharybdis if you want 10 dudes in the face of your opponent. 

You can also avoid the daemon rite of war and run no RAW at all hence getting all your support slots open. 

• 2 weeks later...

Question. In looking at Last of the Serrated Sun as I like fluff of drop armies, and 8th edition is depriving me of my droppod fix.

Can you Null deploy in 30k the same as you could in 7th 40k? I know the rules are largely the same but I have seen subtle nuancess here in the discussion boards. If so, is a full drop army viable for WB or is ground support basically mandatory?

Edited by Myrkul

Question. In looking at Last of the Serrated Sun as I like fluff of drop armies, and 8th edition is depriving me of my droppod fix.

Can you Null deploy in 30k the same as you could in 7th 40k? I know the rules are largely the same but I have seen subtle nuancess here in the discussion boards. If so, is a full drop army viable for WB or is ground support basically mandatory?

Yes you can null deploy. You only lose the game at the end of game turn (after both players took their respective turns) if you have no models on the Battlefield.

Yes you can null deploy. You only lose the game at the end of game turn (after both players took their respective turns) if you have no models on the Battlefield.

Cool thanks.

Have any of you tried a full drop list and if so, is it viable; or is running some ground support needed?

Cool thanks.

Have any of you tried a full drop list and if so, is it viable; or is running some ground support needed?

I had run a only Droppod list quite some times. It works quite fine.

Edited by gizur

You some time need to get some cheap unit in your DZ to contest some defensive objectives. Rapier do the jop pretty well, they are cheap, quite durable and don't take one of the holy heavy support slot. You can also bring some anti air support like deredeo or mortis if you don't want to get planes on your own. Most of the sicaran variants are quite good. So yes I think really consider getting some ground support for this rite in order to complement the offensive forces.

Full drop pod can run into problems against lists that screw over reserves.  However strong your alpha strike, it will struggle if support takes a while to show up. Some ground elements can provide a consistent board presence and back-up for your initial pod force. 

On the other hand, we can finally run Orbital Assault as an orbital assault, so go nuts!

Edited by Withershadow

I need help choosing what unit to put into Caestus Assault Ram in 2500 pts list (armored breakthrough RoW). The list I want to consists of some Rhino marksmen veterans and some tanks mostly troops predators and sicaran and maybe some land raiders. I’m afraid that I want to put way to much points into a big basket. I was thinking 8 Terminators with combi-plasma+Chaplain but that is over 700 pts. The other option I was thinking absurdy is a unit of Weaponmaster Veterans with combi-flamers or meltas nad a bunch of swords/axes to put the unit under 600 pts. I want a unit that brings punch but not to expensive to mitigate eventual delay. Any other suggestions?

AFB, but does the Caestus allow Gal Vorbak?

Also, loading up with Plasma isn't the best. Keep them in the Caestus AV13 Hull, and have them move and assault the Melta popped target the following turn. Put your points into chainfists and Lightning Claws instead.

Even 5 Terminators with a Rad Nade Forge Lord is going tocput down serious hurt. No need to put any more into it.

Edited by Hesh Kadesh

Well, my playgroup decided that Caestus can take 5 Gal Vorbak only. So they are no-go. I chose Chaplain because he (or plain Centurion) is compulsory HQ. my warlord will be Sicaran Battle Tank and For the troops I want to use a duo of very basic Predators. I also want two 10- man Veterans in outflanking rhinos with combi-weapons and thus I need a transport place to put my HQ. I don’t have a Spartan, but I do have the Ram. I wanted to put my Terminators into a LR but then my Chaplain can’t join them due to lack of space. So I just thought I could put them inside a flying Tank.

If you just want to run 4 termis and a character consider the terminator command squad.but you will need a praetor or Zardu to get the ability to take them. Not sure why you would take cs terminators (if I remember correctly they just have the ws 5 compare to standard ws 4 termis and the banner which is a bit useless as word bearer anyway) but that can work to put all this guys in the same land raider so no ram issue. And I'm I I fond it quite hard to put so much points in a mele squad which is not going to pay off til t3 or t4 especially if you are unlucky with the reserve roll.

I was thinking about good unit for Caestus as I have it. Maybe 9 Weaponmaster Veterans?

IMO, if you are running a Caestus you want Terminators in it to take advantage of the fact is a very fast transport that can transport up to 10 terminators (or fewer with characters).

Tartaros are pretty awesome charging out of one going for the sweep!

Seems like a good idea! A Chaplain with Shield and Fist, and 6-8 Tartaros Terminators with Power Axes/ Fists.

Diabolist + Dark Channeling on Terminators could be fun for either Zealot or +1S... but you run the risk of just getting the Daemon rule :o

I'm on the fence with the Diabolist, since I don't know if he does grant the unit he joins Preffered enemy. If he does, he is superb. If he doesn't then he is inferior to Chaplain (better and cheaper to upgrade axes to fists than hope for +1 S and Chaplain has Zealot).

Edited by Dhar'Neth