Change is the only constant [Update & Fluff 19.11.13]

Ferrus Manus

So first a bit of back story...

The last few years my interest in the modelling side of the hobby has dwindled for a few reasons, however recently with finishing uni and settling into a job I have some more spare time on my hands so with the Call of Chaos starting up and having some new ideas rolling around my head I decided to re-visit an old idea: the Changlings.

Two of my favourite Chaos Gods are Nurgle and Tzeentch. With having a fantasy army dedicated to the God of Pestilence I decided to give the Lord of change some love. The Changlings are a warband of my own devising that I have been working on sparingly for the last few years so alongside this plog I will try and work on the fluff for them as well.

But anyway, I find it hard to stick to one project for too long I get bored and come up with different ideas to occupy myself so, hopefully, this log along with the Call will give me something to focus on.

SO, enough rambling my pledge for the Call was as follows:

I Ferrus Manus answer the Call of Chaos and vow to complete 1 Chaos Lord, 1 Unit of 9 Chaos Marines, 5 Raptors & 10 Chaos Cultists before January 15th 2014. I promise to update my project at least three times per unit pledged or face the wrath of the Great Changer! If I do this successfully I will receive the Mark of Change Eternal and continue on the path to ruin. If I fail I’ll wear the Mark of the Lost and I expect no mercy on my soul!

It was based on a 2000pt list I want to work toward. So without further rambling here are some pics:

Chaos Lord XXX, the Lord Pantomime

gallery_21935_8950_125399.jpg

and a shot of his mask:

gallery_21935_8950_5044.jpg

The base model is a cut up Commander Culln from Forge world I've had lying around for a while.

Cultist WIP:

gallery_21935_8950_11771.jpg

and finally a very WIP Chaos Marine:

gallery_21935_8950_82553.jpg

++++++++

C&C welcome guys!

the mask is a very cool idea, looking forward to seeing how that looks with paint on.

Thanks mate, the plan is to paint it similar to a Venetian mask to try and make that pantomime feel. I'm going to try and sculpt a little daemon looking like he's playing with a puppet on him somewhere.

I like where this is headed...

I like where this is headed...

Same here, promising concept!

Thanks guys...

a slight update, I wasn't a huge fan of the Lord's pose. It was too static so I've ripped him up and plan on re-building him today. On the up side, it made it easier to sculpt some details on he various parts. Hopefully, some pics tonight. 

Also, if someone could help me find a decent image of the Daemon Armour from the Space Marine game (as well as some of the others) it would be appreciated.

Right then, update time.

First up, I've made some progress on two of the Chaos Marines. Though, running out of ideas for armour decorations so any ideas welcome. As much as i want these guys to look "tzeentch-y" I also want them to look like they are from a renegade Chapter rather than from one of the original legions, so somewhere between Space Marines and Chaos Marines, so striking a balance seems to be harder than I thought.

gallery_21935_8950_52863.jpg

Next, my Lord in his updated pose, which is still only temporary. I think he still looks like he's squatting a bit much:

gallery_21935_8950_20705.jpg

and here's his WIP shoulder pad (sorry for the blurry pic)

gallery_21935_8950_78144.jpg

and finally, this a helmet for the bare headed marine above. Which horn looks more right to you guys? I'm undecided.

gallery_21935_8950_33652.jpg

Once again, thanks for looking. C&C welcome.

Looking damn good so far, dude.

That mask on the Chaos Lord is pure, undiluted badass.biggrin.png

Thanks Ace! I'd keep an eye out, you might see some Rift Lord/Infinity Knights bits and pieces turning up ... ;)

In a hurry but just wanted to say terrific sculpting, buddy. The last two Marines are especially promising, and that mask on the Lord is very well done.

To be honest, I dislike both horns. I'd go for studs across the top.

Cheers mate. Yeah, they sit really awkwardly on the side of the helm, I'll have a look at studs and save the horns for something else.

Wow, these guys are looking stunning. Really well done! smile.png

Thanks mate, much appreciated!

Very, very nice work.

Perhaps a bit too late for this suggestion so it might be something you could do in the future on other marines but how about some half masks similar to the theatrical ones where one half is smiling, the other weeping. Give one champion one mask, his twin brother the other. Too Harlequinish?

I'm in love with those two marines you showed us. If that's the basic standard for your warband, then quite frankly this is going to be something to look forward to.

I've seen some fantastic Tzeentch warbands with a distorted chequerboard pattern for the bases, maybe you could adapt this for use on shoulderpads, or something?

Looking forward to more here, Ferrus - I like the way. this is going :D

I'm in love with those two marines you showed us. If that's the basic standard for your warband, then quite frankly this is going to be something to look forward to.

I've seen some fantastic Tzeentch warbands with a distorted chequerboard pattern for the bases, maybe you could adapt this for use on shoulderpads, or something?

Looking forward to more here, Ferrus - I like the way. this is going biggrin.png

Very, very nice work.

Perhaps a bit too late for this suggestion so it might be something you could do in the future on other marines but how about some half masks similar to the theatrical ones where one half is smiling, the other weeping. Give one champion one mask, his twin brother the other. Too Harlequinish?

I like both these ideas, both have given me some good ideas for fluff and modelling. Thanks to both of you.

Just gonna say it's nice to see Tzeentch getting some attention. Over the past two editions he's been looking like a pretty poor choice for CSM players gameplay-wise, so it's good to see someone still wants to fight for the Lord of Change.

Thanks Tankenstein, to be honest I haven't gamed too much over the last few years, I think the last time I played was 4th ed. I'm more interested in the fluff/ modelling side of things. That said a friend of mine is often at the 40k tournaments at Warhammer World and as asked me to go along, maybe I will when I finish a decent amount of these guys.

Must say, I'm really impressed with your GS work and I reallyike that you have chosen to build a Tzeench force that are not 1k sons. You are probably maybe only one of two people doing this right now. Jokes aside, I've subscribed and hope to see more!

Must say, I'm really impressed with your GS work and I reallyike that you have chosen to build a Tzeench force that are not 1k sons. You are probably maybe only one of two people doing this right now. Jokes aside, I've subscribed and hope to see more!

Wow, thanks disease. From you thats one hell of a compliment. I know what you mean though, even if you have a look on Lexicanium 90% of all Tzeentch warbands are related to the 1k sons in some way. When you look at how many Nurgle/ Slaanesh/ Khorne warbands have nothing to do with the original legions it does seem a bit disproportionate.

So update, and I'm pretty proud of this one. Here is my nearly finished Brother-Judaas, I get paid next week and plan to go and buy the paints I need so next time you see him he should be painted and perhaps a bit of fluff. Anyhow, pics...

gallery_21935_8950_56589.jpg

gallery_21935_8950_5092.jpg

Comments and ideas are welcome as always.

O_O

Awestruck,

Stepper

Thanks mate.

Right then update time. Firstly, the bad news - while working on the Lord I slipped with the knife and pulled the GS mask off, now Im in the process of re-doing it, annoying especially when I was fairly happy with it.

Anyhow, here's the next 5 marines in various stages of progress:

gallery_21935_8950_16157.jpg

so, close ups in order, Champion (which is the new Sons of Horus Command mini from FW). I bought the set because they capture the aesthetic I'm aiming for, that half way point between loyal and full chaos marine. I'm going to Tzeentch him and the Icon bearer up a bit then they will be done. BTW, the detail on the banner is incredible. I'll take a pic when I'm finished with it. Some freehand ideas would also be nice.

gallery_21935_8950_14681.jpg

Icon Bearer:

gallery_21935_8950_51467.jpg

and the three marines, one of which you saw earlier on:

gallery_21935_8950_61560.jpg

this next guy will probably have his bolter in one hand, looking over the battlefield:

gallery_21935_8950_27438.jpg

and this guy will be walking forward, blade drawn. I doubt I'll use the helm on him - it just looks kinda off.

gallery_21935_8950_24557.jpg

Comments welcome as always.

+++++++++++++++++

Oh and some of you might have seen a few posts I made recently in a certain HH army thread, so here's a hint at what I'll be working on alongside these guys:

gallery_21935_8950_45335.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Hehe, I envy your funds to be able to do what you're doing with those Word Bearers, sir.

The use of the Sons of Horus Command guys is awesome - I'm curious to see what you're going to do with them, but as for that helmet, I'd suggest keeping it for Chosen or other high-ranking members of the warband.

I'm loving these Changelings - you have some incredible skill with GS, and the marines you are crating seem to have so much character. Bravo!

Very nice work, Ferrus. As others have said, GS is very impressive and the theatrical theme is cool too.

My only suggestion would be that the FW SoH bits need to tie in with the rest of the squad a bit more? I know you said you're doing some GS on them, maybe also you should swap backpacks around a bit so that the plastic ones get spiky packs and vice versa. Might just help to tie the whole squad together aesthetically?

Anyway, lovely stuff!

Lysimachus

Hehe, I envy your funds to be able to do what you're doing with those Word Bearers, sir.

The use of the Sons of Horus Command guys is awesome - I'm curious to see what you're going to do with them, but as for that helmet, I'd suggest keeping it for Chosen or other high-ranking members of the warband.

I'm loving these Changelings - you have some incredible skill with GS, and the marines you are crating seem to have so much character. Bravo!

Firstly, thanks man - all this positive feedback is keeping really psyched for the project. Its much appreciated.

Fortunately, I was lucky enough to walk out of uni with a job that pays fairly well and I currently have practically no outgoing expenses which leaves more money for resin crack haha. Nice suggestion with the helmet, I'll keep it in mind.

Dude, the level of converting here is just...I am in awe. I can't wait to see these guys with paint on.

Cheers. Hopefully I'll get chance to go out and buy some paints - mine have all dried up after years of being left on the side, so next week should yield so painted minis. The plan is to have the marines and raptors done by the end of the coming month giving me 6 weeks or so to worry about the Lord and cultists.

Very nice work, Ferrus. As others have said, GS is very impressive and the theatrical theme is cool too.

My only suggestion would be that the FW SoH bits need to tie in with the rest of the squad a bit more? I know you said you're doing some GS on them, maybe also you should swap backpacks around a bit so that the plastic ones get spiky packs and vice versa. Might just help to tie the whole squad together aesthetically?

Anyway, lovely stuff!

Lysimachus

Thanks SCL! Yeah, I know what you mean. The plan is add a few more spikes to the non-FW marines and more eyes and arrows to the SoH. 

As for some other sources of inspiration, these models kind of remind me of the possessed marionettes in the devil may cry computer game. Similarity, there is a sorcerer by hell dorado miniatures that has a very puppet master theme. It wouldn't work for my blight drone hell drakes, but having a flying model supported or lifted from the ground by a demonic hand or a wooden cross with the strings connecting to the models extremities could be really cool. In any case, I'm sure you will think of something to impress us with :)

As for some other sources of inspiration, these models kind of remind me of the possessed marionettes in the devil may cry computer game. Similarity, there is a sorcerer by hell dorado miniatures that has a very puppet master theme. It wouldn't work for my blight drone hell drakes, but having a flying model supported or lifted from the ground by a demonic hand or a wooden cross with the strings connecting to the models extremities could be really cool. In any case, I'm sure you will think of something to impress us with smile.png

Ah I only hope I can live up to such praise. Thanks for the suggestions mate, I had a look at the marionettes and they've given me a few ideas. As for the sorceror do you have a pic of him?

Also, the wooden cross thing, I'm using that. Thanks :)

Archived