VIII Legion by Alan - back from the warp

nhaunter

Just quick update to, last few days were really busy.
Here is my Night Lords commander or leader, whatever suits you. Pics are not so good as usual bu I believe you can get some idea how is he going to look. Cape is covered in small chains with some heads attached, arms are magnetized (as a matter of fact all my heroes and most of the champs have those tiny little pieces of happiness), piece on his shoulders is somewhere from tank accessories and I also put him some Catap. shoulder guards to get some bulk, after all he is my leader he should be big, strong and intimidating. He stands on some Dark Mechanicum dreg conversion (It was built years and years ago and personally I dont like it very much but for some reason my wife is attached to him so she put "veto" on replacing him. Well you know its not very good to argue with better half .).
 As you can see by these photos I start armor color with ultramarines blue and then work it up to the tone I like. Problem is I have only this one dry old school, pot so I have to literally scratch pigment from the bottom to apply it to the mini.
Hope you like this extremely PIP, WIP etc figure and I will try to finish it in next few days.

Thanks for watching...

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2013/11/8/554645_sm-.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2013/11/8/554646_sm-.JPG

Hello everybody, short delay in process but here is new update.

Lord Al Ahn, he has face tattoo to recreate skull image (dont know can you see that in my photos) and also on the left shoulder he has small heraldy of my hometown (sometimes I fell very homesick, so this is a really big satisfaction for me when I manage to put some reference that reminds on it). Town is called Karlovac if you want to search it to see how does town heraldy looks.
I know that pic is pretty blurry but just couldnt get better one and wanted to show you some progress.

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2013/11/14/556419_sm-.JPG

These are my count as Noise marines with their champion which went plastical surgery to get that bestial look (long time in warp travel doesnt help either, I presume) with their rhino Gos`podan.

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2013/11/14/556416_sm-.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2013/11/14/556417_sm-.JPG

And last, update on my count as Ahriman.

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2013/11/14/556418_sm-.JPG

Hello brothers of the VIII. and rest of you who dont realize the power of the Night Haunters sons.

A little update to show that I am still alive and that I am working painfully slow but still manage to do some progress.
Pictures coming in a hour or two...
First better pictures of my Lord. He is still PIP but coming along really nice. I still have to do some battle damage on chainfist and paint that servitor under his foot.

gallery_42405_9040_57556.jpg

gallery_42405_9040_8419.jpg

gallery_42405_9040_34568.jpg

gallery_42405_9040_45023.jpg

Here we have count as Ahriman. Colors of "souls" under him are kinda washed out. In real life (not photographed) they are more, how would you say, vibrant. Still need to finish his cloak and some minor details.

gallery_42405_9040_21620.jpg
gallery_42405_9040_26929.jpg

gallery_42405_9040_47853.jpg

This here is bodyguards of my Lords, Al Ahn (terminator lord) and Csaba (count as Ahriman). They are not Atramentar but lets call them terminator claw. I need to paint lightning on them some freehand on shoulders and details on the base. Kinda went overboard with light radiating from lightning claw but what can I say I got carried away.

gallery_42405_9040_56161.jpg

gallery_42405_9040_39104.jpg

gallery_42405_9040_45952.jpg

These are my count as Plague marines. As I dont like mutations on my army (as I said previously) they count as something like elite, breacher squad. To represent their higher T and lower I I made them collars (to represent heavier armor) and shields for protection. Each one of them also carries a plague knife and also champion uses banner top with Nurgle mark, so it is easier for my opponent to differentiate them from "ordinary" marines. There is also WIP of their still unnamed Rhino APC (always wanted to have one of those older variants-you know legion relic from beginning of the Long War).

gallery_42405_9040_28408.jpg

gallery_42405_9040_47709.jpg

@Bungicats - Thanks Bungicats, "souls" are part greenstuffed part various bits (zombies + spare horns I cut from my marines). I am still learning sculpting stuff.

As a person which likes to draw (If you want to see some stuff I have drawn please check my Deviant art page, link is in my signature) the most difficult part is transferring idea in 3D. When you draw you are free to draw anything within your canvas but with sculpting it is very hard for me to adjust that there is a "backside, depth, etc" of canvas (I hope that you understood what I was trying to say - bear in mind that I am not a native English speaker so sometimes I have problems with expressing ideas, views or opinions. Also, for me the hardest thing with sculpting on this scale is time. I dont have enough patience to wait for sculpt to dry, then sculpt another thing then wait, ad nauseam...

So hats to everyone who manages to master that fantastic skill of green stuffing :D

@ Tanith Ghost - Well I looked at your topic and I am not so sure that you cant do decent freehand. Your lightning is great but thing that surprised me is the progress in quality of your painting and conversion  skills.

I want lie, we, warriors of the VIII, have the "prettiest" armies of all "traitor" marines (loyalist scum doesnt count).

nice sons of the sunless world brother :tu:

i like the green stuff on the sorcerer and you've got some nice conversions going on.

my only nitpick would be your scratchbuild brass scorpion like creature. i think it needs some refinement to look more like a 40k model.

i've also checked your deviant art profile too, nice work there as well!

keep it up!

@Wicced - thank you for comments. Well that creature, I must admit I am not totally proud of it but it will have to do since I rarely go back to change something on my models. Maybe I will try something else when I scratchbuild Maulerfiend.

i know what you mean, sometimes the finished project just ain't what it's supposed to be. i can't count anymore how many finished marines i ripped apart and rebuilt in another way wink.png

looking forward to your maulerfiend project!

He he, that is true. Well Maulerfiend will come in some distant time I believe, first I have to finish my count-as obliterators, count as vindicator and maybe count as thousand sons (everything depends on Ultramarine blue which is almost finished, and I sadly dont have spare money right now to buy another one).

As the title says here it is, done some freehand. It is pretty late here so i photographed it under poor artificial light so you cant see highlights on skull. Probably will take one more shots of PIP and then you will see details hopefully..

gallery_42405_9040_76268.jpg

gallery_42405_9040_966808.jpg

gallery_42405_9040_1161722.jpg

@Maximvus - Like all Lords should be biggrin.png

Hello everyone here is some update.

First of all I managed to finish my count-as Heldrake. Lets say I am quite satisfied, although my wife cant stand this model (She says that she just cant look past those shaving razors and that they ruin the whole concept).

I played with those OSL and maybe did mistake with trying to do them properly over such big surface but thats how I imagine it in my head so couldnt resist trying it. Ok, enough of the talking pics:

gallery_42405_9040_72170.jpg

gallery_42405_9040_54497.jpg

gallery_42405_9040_28509.jpg

gallery_42405_9040_4214.jpg

gallery_42405_9040_18545.jpg

gallery_42405_9040_12258.jpg

I was saying (typing to be precise) in Brother Heinrich Night Lords topic how I share his "pain" with painting bikes, so here is some kind of proof, my biker squad which waits around two years to be finished. I dont know why are they such a pain in the bottom to do since they are not ugly models but something about them IS problem. Constantly they get pushed back on my working table and I have just some minor things to do on them (some shading and highlights, repairing shields and trophy racks that fell off, and repainting bone details).

gallery_42405_9040_55971.jpg

gallery_42405_9040_24176.jpg

gallery_42405_9040_42580.jpg

gallery_42405_9040_56183.jpg

gallery_42405_9040_6275.jpg

And last, pic of me with young apprentice. This is my son Abel, two years and four months old and full of interest for a hobby. I red a lot of things about kids destroying precious miniatures and stuff but we really dont have any kind of problems with him. He picks my figures looks at them and then returns them at their place. He is quite interested in everything we do so when I sit down to paint, convert or model something he is like my shadow :D. He can sit by me patiently for hours asking questions: What is this, what color is this, Mom look at the bikers and so on. Please bear in mind that these are morning photos so we are still in pijamas (I dont wear that usually). :D

gallery_42405_9040_49212.jpg

gallery_42405_9040_100570.jpg

@Forte - Well as I wrote above I really dont have problems with him, he never broke anything that is not his :D (although I am prepared that such thing will eventually come). Glad you like army also, it is not very hard to keep them going if you like them :D.

It's great he can be involved. If you're lucky you be able to production line your minis soon with him too. And you're right about being able to finish things you like. Funny that even with the questionable codex that there's still live for Chaos.

@forte - He he I play Chaos since always :D so this is not the worst incarnation of our army "book" so I think I will live trough this one and hope that in a 4-5 years span they will manage to put decent codex to represent us (by decent I dont mean good rules but cohesion between good enough rules and interesting choices, looking at loyal scum codex they ARE after all capable of doing codex with enough diversity to represent all of those corpse loving marines).

Loving all the detail work on the *flying razor* but I have to agree with her I also can't stand the model itself. Sheilds on the bikes are unique, not seen that yet and of course the kid pics are always priceless (him not u) teehee.gif As for his carefulness, Id trust my models with a kid any day over my cats, they don't understand NO, GET OUT OF THAT, STOP, GIVE THAT BACK..or the endless obscenities when they run off with a figure or bit.

@Bungicats - It probably has something with females and razors, I guess all that legs and under arms shaving left some trauma :D.

Yes you can teach kids and dogs not to touch anything or to be careful, but cats on the other side... I heard once summary of cat vs. dog way of thinking:

DOG - play, play, play, food, food, food, sleep, sleep, play, play, play, food... repeat

CAT - 256 th day of imprisonment, today I tried to push my warder of the stairs, stupid human thought that I was playing roll on the floor like dog. Tomorrow, on the 257th day, I will try to lure him into trap by stealing some of his/hers precious stuff.

P.S. As a disclaimer I like both cats and dogs.

@Bungicats - It probably has something with females and razors, I guess all that legs and under arms shaving left some trauma biggrin.png.

Yes you can teach kids and dogs not to touch anything or to be careful, but cats on the other side... I heard once summary of cat vs. dog way of thinking:

DOG - play, play, play, food, food, food, sleep, sleep, play, play, play, food... repeat

CAT - 256 th day of imprisonment, today I tried to push my warder of the stairs, stupid human thought that I was playing roll on the floor like dog. Tomorrow, on the 257th day, I will try to lure him into trap by stealing some of his/hers precious stuff.

P.S. As a disclaimer I like both cats and dogs.

Yes yes yes women and razors don't mix,whether in shaving or on miniatures for that matter!

Archived