VIII Legion by Alan - back from the warp

nhaunter

Looking great man!

Those bikers look absolutely brutal. I particularly love the lightning splattered helmets on a few of them. I've never been able to get lightning to come out correctly on such a small space.

I think this may have even been enough to get me off my butt and finish up my own bikers ^_^

@Flint - well as I said earlier, bikes are such problem to finish, really dont know why because they are not bad models and they sure have a lot of space for freehanding but somehiw a lot of people have problems with them. Lightning is not so difficult when you get a grip with them, just practice and you ll get hold of it.

@Tanith ghost - Well first of all I am finishing my Call of chaos goals (plague marines and Khorne marked marines), on the working table there are few unfinished projects and ideas, count as Obliterators, plastic dread conversion and old metal chunk dreadnought, five raptors and havocs to name few. All in all I have a lot of things on my mind but everything depends on available time and inspiration (we all suffered from blockade when muse leave us:D).

• 3 weeks later...

Merry Christmas to everyone who celebrates it.

Again update after some time, right here are "Tainteds condemned".

Baruk the Tainted is leader of "non-numbered" claw. Instead of usual ways members of Condemned are incorporated under the leadership of Baruk after they receive "red gloves".

Baruk is one of the rare marines in Al Ahns warband that openly worships one of the great pantheon - Blood god, Eternal hunter, Lord of bloodshed or how mortals call it Khorne.

Even in beginning of great crusade Baruk was noted for his lust for blood and was often criticized by members of other Legions for his refusal of speaking High or Low Gothic, it is said that he often argued that he can perfectly understand "Terran", as he called it, but why he should speak it when other Legions refuse to speak Nostraman,

After Horus debacle under the palace he left with his brothers of the 29th company and then his road to the full worship begun to take momentum with increasing speed.

Today he commands those "which are already dead" and is usually sent into thickest fray after he loses himself into blood trances. Members of his claw dont have much choice but to follow him or be shot down by their "brothers" .

gallery_42405_9040_15118.jpg

gallery_42405_9040_42125.jpg

This one is on the blue background to see if tit looks better.

gallery_42405_9040_84427.jpg

And here is their rhino APC "Arianus". Some older players will maybe recognize the inspiration for the upper hull drawing.

gallery_42405_9040_28769.jpg

gallery_42405_9040_421.jpg

gallery_42405_9040_8758.jpg

gallery_42405_9040_10551.jpg

gallery_42405_9040_17975.jpg

@Forte - since I do them pretty fast avoiding too much details while building to spare some time I try to do some freehand on them to help salvage not so detailed exterior. I plan to do some old-style Land rider for my Lord on which I would do much more stuff since, you know, it is personal ride so it had to be a bit more special.

@Forte - well yes, Spawn is on of the rare "American" (I know that he is Canadian) cartoon artist I like, I am more into European style. Well with this one finished I am looking forward to complete my vow with Plague marines (or chem-claw in my case) and maybe pledge another unit (thinking about dreadnought-never gonna call them Helbrutes :D ).

Wow! Just wow. 

I have to echo Forte and Deathspecter. Your rhino is awesome, and the squad in general is the definition of cool. Your nod to the old school Nightlords *waaaaaay* back when they were aligned with khorne is also quite nice. 

I think what really makes them special though, is you have managed to make them look very khornate with there being no doubt which legion they come from. And the basing is top notch, which is something, considering I'm hella lazy at basing.

Excellent work! You do us midnight clad proud. 

@Flint13 - Thank you very much, it is always nice to hear such nice praise especially from someone like you. Like I said before <i really dig your models and I have to admit there seems to be "race" between us midnight clad who will bring something more unique to their armies.

Basing is not hard at all, since I work in restaurant/hotel I have pretty much endless supply of balsa from wine bottles so I just "chomp" them and glue them with PVA glue and add some straws and cocktail sticks. Really quick method with pretty good result (in my opinion of course).

P.S. Your new command squad is great.

Glad to hear it buddy! I may have to try your basing method to go a little beyond my own of "gravel + snow."

I always though of it as a little friendly competition between us midnight clad. We tend to share (and plagiarize happy.png ) ideas pretty freely. Ends up we all become a little more awesome at our hobbies because of the "cosmopolitan" nature of it.

Definitely keep this business up. Your Nightlords are coming along great.

@Flint13 - he he, it is not "stealing" between us from the VIII-th, it is borrowing, and if someone gets in between... :D

Everybody consider us funny hats, bat hats, cowards etc., but the only truth is that we stayed in real space after Horus fell with our brothers from XX th Legion, everybody else fled to the Bleeding Eye to regain strength only to come deformed, possesed or worse.

I despise them, while we were fighting Ultramarine Legion our former allies fought among themselves, while we were haunted across the galaxy Sons of Horus were repainting their armor, but now when the end of a long war is near we are again needed and summoned to war because Despoiler knows that he cannot win without us, so brothers of the VIII stand in midnight clad and prepare to rip the guts of the hated Imperium of the rotten God.

Exactly! The only force we have to rely on in the 8th is other legionaries of the 8th. 

Everyone else has fled, died, or in their weakness, been corrupted by daemons and forced into hellbound servitude. Every Black Crusade needs a little 8th legion. Who else will do all the skinning and terror-causing, the World Eaters or Deathguard? HAH

Well skinning of your pink legion is for decorative purposes and skinning of the VIII is for war, big difference.

And Forte you trully belong to the Dark Prince, I saw that machine Erector in your topic, trully devious thing :D.

Well skinning of your pink legion is for decorative purposes and skinning of the VIII is for war, big difference.

And Forte you trully belong to the Dark Prince, I saw that machine Erector in your topic, trully devious thing :D.

Wasn't in my topic ;)

Not our fault that we enjoy the flaying as much as the terror in their living eyes as we do it infront of their kin.

Your Rhino freehand is inspiring as usual and the tracks are interesting as well. tongue.png

Thank you very much for this comment especially for the bolded part. Tracks are made of some kind of ribbed "gift" paper bag cut into stripes :D .

I know my rhinos look sometimes a bit crude but I simply want to build them pretty fast so I can paint them and use in my games instead of proxy (I play at friends house and we dont have anything against proxies, you have to be sensible in this time of low salaries, unemployment and constant rise of GW prices).

I see a lot people to take gaming to serious and that is complete waste of precious time. Being a father and a husband with crap work time I dont have so much spare time for a hobby and so I refuse to play against anyone I consider boring or HR-hobby ruiner :D . Games usually last around 2 hours with preparation and I really want to spend those 2 hours for nice, fun, relaxing game with beer or two.

So to conclude, edition isnt broken by itself, poor gamers make it broken. Taking top stuff and playing just for the win without any consideration about your army "fluff2 is not my optinon but I dont judge people which play that kind of game. Everyone has its own preferences.

Ah no man it doesn't look crude, a bit sparse, but you more than make up for it with the freehand. There's even a bit of battle damage to add to it. :P It really does look great. I agree when I play I never take the powerful lists unless I go to a tournament but even then its usually not the most optimized. I play for fun as well but I don't really get to play often either thus its more of a painting/modeling hobby for me.

Archived