Batrep: DeathWing Vs Guard and RavenGuard

[TA]Typher

I agree that the IG list, in addition to being illegal, was sub-par.  Bassies are only AP3 and AV12.  For 40 points more, you get AV14 with a (24" range, mind you, but what an objective camper...and in this case objective capper) S10 AP2 gun.  Meltavets are nice, but not when they're on foot.  A vendetta to carry them would have been a good call...and the vendetta's godhammers would have been dangerous, too.  Flamer vets...stink.  Flamers don't really kill anything that lasguns can't, and they require a shooty unit to get into assault range.  He spent too much on upgrades like enclosed crew compartments and carapace armor.   For 1000 points, you could have been facing this instead:

naked platoon command squad (hey, it's a 30 point scoring unit, it's required if you want the infantry platoon, and no amount of upgrades overcomes BS3 and only 5 guard models...they die too easy to spend points on them)

2x infantry squad with autocannon (hey, it's all-comers, not anti-DW!), flamer, and chimera (eight heavy weapons shots each...for 120 points)

Vendetta with meltavets and sanctioned psycher (the HQ stays safely on board when the squad jumps out to blast something)

Sly Marbo

2x demolisher

nice stuff.  I agree with the thoughts others had about the IG player.  Still fun though.

How do you keep track of all the moves! I forget the outcome of turn 1 by the end of turn 3  let alone remember enough to go home and make a Vassal recreation about it.

On your Aegis question (and I only know this because it came up in a game recently):  The BRB says that each section must be in contact with another section which supports what your opponents were doing.  However, the BRB FAQ (p. 9, 2nd column, 2nd Question) says: 

Q: Can you deploy the Aegis Defence Line sections in two or more groups of two or more sections apiece (this way, they will still be in base contact with at least one other section)? (p114) A: No – the Aegis defence line sections must be deployed in an unbroken chain, though they can be connected end-to-end such as in the example shown on page 114.

Also, my thoughts on sportsmanship.  I like seeing it, but I believe it is largely a reciprocal thing.  And while there is a virtue in "not arguing" about things in the name of enjoyment, sportsmanship, or just conflict avoidance, there are other considerations.

If you let a poor sportsmanship player abuse the rules at you, you are rewarding them for acting that way.  In essence you teach them to do it again because it got them an advantage this time.  That means in later games against people who are not you, they will act this way again and will continue to do so until they see a negative consequence that they can associate with the behavior.  You also have to consider that in the next game they may be up against someone who is newer than they are and who is going to be learning from them.  That new player not only may learn a rule incorrectly, they learn a style of play based on pushing rules and being argumentative about them.  As a more experienced player, you have an obligation to be courteous, sympathetic, and accommodating by example, but you also have an obligation to their later opponents to correct clear errors and to not allow them to abuse rules.  Don't get me wrong; we all make mistakes and occasionally are flat wrong about the rules.  Sometimes the rules are even less than clear.  But that is vastly different than some of what you were describing from your opponents.  You indicated that one of the guys was very new to 40K - he's learning from every game he plays.  He's learning how to play as much as anything.  Likewise, I think there is a good chance that he did not even really make up his list.  His C:SM buddy may well have "helped" him, so he would need to have list errors pointed out.

I think you did the right thing standing your ground on the LOS shooting through the walls.  I'd have probably done the same on the shooting past the LRC.

I'm glad you pulled this out because that demonstrated that sportsmanship is not anathema to winning.

On your Aegis question (and I only know this because it came up in a game recently):  The BRB says that each section must be in contact with another section which supports what your opponents were doing.  However, the BRB FAQ (p. 9, 2nd column, 2nd Question) says: 

Q: Can you deploy the Aegis Defence Line sections in two or more groups of two or more sections apiece (this way, they will still be in base contact with at least one other section)? (p114) A: No – the Aegis defence line sections must be deployed in an unbroken chain, though they can be connected end-to-end such as in the example shown on page 114.

Damn, that's two I've missed in the same day.  I gotta read the FAQs every time I log on now, this is getting embarrassing!

Seriously nice battle report!

Very nice on the win and thank you for sharing it with us!

A couple of questions I'd like to ask...

Do you feel nervous anymore, playing against lists you aren't familiar with or even with new opponents..? I ask because playing on tilt (where your judgement is clouded by something like anger or rage etc.) really affects me and some bad sport players really lean in on this.

Will you field a Whirlwind again..? (What about two of them..?)

Seriously nice battle report!

Very nice on the win and thank you for sharing it with us!

A couple of questions I'd like to ask...

Do you feel nervous anymore, playing against lists you aren't familiar with or even with new opponents..? I ask because playing on tilt (where your judgement is clouded by something like anger or rage etc.) really affects me and some bad sport players really lean in on this.

Will you field a Whirlwind again..? (What about two of them..?)

Yeah I get a little nervous, but I do lose sometimes. At the end of the day you learn something new. For example I learned how Barrage and direct fire worked because of this battle, How you have to deploy a aegis line, and how IG Troop squads have to be put together. Even if I would have lost it would have been a good game. It's part of the game. So far all my Batreps have been victories, but that doesn't mean I always win. I really should make a lost batrep. Hopefully I'm not giving people a false impression that I'm a pro.

I'm never a bad sport. In this game I cheered when the IG player rolled a well, letting his Basilisk survived. I let him move models and re-pivot out of turn. It's just a game. I once saw a manager of a Games workshop store throw his dice across the room and yell at spectators because he was losing a game. I never want to be that guy.

I like Whirl winds. Some people don't run them as they don't think should be in a DW list, but I try to look at the bigger picture. Being a fluff zealot I find it perfectly reasonable that a DW commander could call in a barrage from a WW. Plus DW doesn't really have anti-horde ability so a WW fits in nicely.

Well done Brother Typher!

I have to say that I loved your description of sportsmanship in games. My friend and I generally let things slide, though we've tried to get better about doing things in the proper order so as to reduce those instances. I also usually will remind him of something he forgot (coincidentally, like issuing orders for his IG!) or that certain rules prevent certain actions that I took in a preceding phase and asking to correct that on my part.

That being said, the trick of the disappearing/reappearing melta bomb is not something I have specifically encountered, but I have seen similar things to it ('My Necron Lord has Mindshackle Scarabs by the way!' or 'Those Bloodclaw Bikers are actually Thundrwolf Cav' make me growl mentally when I recall them, sometimes even vocallywallbash.gif ) and I must admit it can be hard at times to not want call BS.

Edited: Used 'turn' when I meant 'phase'.

Well done Brother Typher!

I have to say that I loved your description of sportsmanship in games. My friend and I generally let things slide, though we've tried to get better about doing things in the proper order so as to reduce those instances. I also usually will remind him of something he forgot (coincidentally, like issuing orders for his IG!) or that certain rules prevent certain actions that I took in a preceding phase and asking to correct that on my part.

That being said, the trick of the disappearing/reappearing melta bomb is not something I have specifically encountered, but I have seen similar things to it ('My Necron Lord has Mindshackle Scarabs by the way!' or 'Those Bloodclaw Bikers are actually Thundrwolf Cav' make me growl mentally when I recall them, sometimes even vocallywallbash.gif ) and I must admit it can be hard at times to not want call BS.

Edited: Used 'turn' when I meant 'phase'.

The best (non-competition) games are the ones that come down to 1 dice roll.

Archived