Eagle Eyes ongoing army log -- Libby's face, & some base

JeffTibbetts

I'm starting this plog in an ongoing attempt to keep myself on track and document my progress towards a fully painted Eagle Eyes army. Feel free to read and offer C&C on my Index Astartes project (you can find the link in my sig) if you want to know more about them. 

Comments and advice are always welcome. My colors are straightforward, my marines are clean, their adornments are few. 

I had been storing WIP pics in an album, but now I'm hosting my images off-site for the most part. (EDIT: I'm back to storing them in the WIP folder). Feel free to take a look at that if you like here:

I'll start with some Land Raider pics because I just got done laying down the base coat with an airbrush last night. 

http://linguartisan.com/IMG_2373.JPG

I masked off a few areas that were painted ages ago. Some better than others. 

http://linguartisan.com/IMG_2374.jpg

Front view. Good, strong colors over the tracks. I use two colors for my base, but you can only see the Snot Green top coat in most areas. Same with my marines.

http://linguartisan.com/IMG_2375.JPG

You can see that some dust and cat hair always seem to make their way in somehow. Ugh. This model was straight up dusty and I thought I got it all off. Of course not.

Thanks! Not much here yet... I will be laying down some shading and base colors for the metal bits and whatnot soon, and I've done some more work on the tactical squad as well including the red weapons finished and decals added. We'll see how much hobby time I get in over the next few days. 

I haven't posted in a while but I've been working on some things.

So… On these pics you may or may not notice some insanely subtle shading. I have been using a super-thinned wash of Coelia Greenshade spiced with a tiny bit of dish-washing liquid brushed only into the cracks and around details. It dries so thin that you can seriously hardly tell it's there. I do, however, notice if I DON'T do it. It's one of those things that just adds some depth, but after doing the land raider I really did have one of those moments where I felt like I just wasted an hour or whatever. You can't even see it, really. I'm not complaining, it's just one of those hobby things.

gallery_74115_8912_879061.jpg

Weapon red pretty much done. Transfers applied. Need to go over the black again and add a final highlight.

gallery_74115_8912_489681.jpg

I think they're coming along nicely.

gallery_74115_8912_969823.jpg

The sergeant's helmet stripe really pops.

gallery_74115_8912_900767.jpg

The land raider has had the black for metals blocked out as well.

gallery_74115_8912_1105017.jpg

Front view.

Thanks, man! They're a Raven Guard successor, so the comparison to Raptors works for me. As for the green, they are almost the same as the GW recipe for Sallies but my metal is bronze. I love painting that vivid green. It will end up a bit lighter with the striking scorpion green highlights. 

I considered it pretty much starting yesterday when I learned about it… :D I need to decide if that's what I should do or not. I think in temperament they're closer to the Raptors than the RG, but my fluff places them directly off the RG so I dunno. Take a look at the IA I've been writing (link in my sig) and tell me what you think. I don't see why I couldn't switch around from one set of tactics to the other depending on the army I'm facing. Frankly, I rarely play games so the question is pretty academic. 

Thanks for taking an interest, Pheidias. I appreciate it. The more I read about them I think it makes a lot of sense to use their CT at least sometimes. They are more suited to my dudes in a lot of ways. I think it might be interesting to have them either serve with the Raptors at some point or maybe have some interaction with them. Too bad they're both such anti-social chapters but maybe that's my in: they're quite similar in many ways so maybe they would have sought each other out at some point. 

Just a little progress last night. I got the black done on the whole tac squad (not picture worthy) and the first stage highlights on the sergeant.

gallery_74115_8912_354521.jpg

He is very nearly finished now. I reserve the final highlight for VERY sparing use. Side note: this angle makes his head look so huge!

gallery_74115_8912_445681.jpg

And there you can see the stray black brush stroke on his backpack, and the choppy highlights on the vents up top. Ugh… These pics always highlight the flaws. No pun intended.

One of the most dedicated DIY chapter, I like it a lot (be it the IA or the minis).

The progressive building of your chapter is a pleasure to read/see and even keeps others (at least me) motivated to build and share their own progresses.

Why do you think I'm freaking out about trying to make my white decals, man? Haha! They are noticeable up close, and these pics are cropped and zoomed in tight. I don't mind you pointing it out. It's nothing I'm not aware of, and I've already cried myself to sleep over it. ;) 

Yeah, the decals are standing out a bit, though the paint is a bit thick too in places.

Things are still looking a bit flat after the highlights.  Although I wouldn't go another shade lighter, unless you want a more stylized look.  I would actually do another wash to darken the recesses for more contrast.  Have you considered trying an oil wash?  I've had great results with it, and it's wonderfully easy.

You know, I think you're right about the wash. But, I probably will never do it... I just don't dig strong shades except rare cases. I think it's usually too drastic. Just not my style. My highlights are always more subtle than what's common now. I guess I prefer a flatter look.

I also think I'd benefit from an intermediate highlight. It's tough to get a blended look with one stage highlights.

I have to agree with the other comments here regarding decals and shades/highlights, sorry!

With the decals, have you considered making a stamp (perhaps contoured to fit the shoulder pad)? You can stamp the icons on in white paint and touch up by hand.

Alternatively, you could try a spray mask perhaps? Not sure if the mask could be cut from something like neoprene or silicone to give it a little stretch, and that way you can fit it somewhat taught over the pads. Again, some tidy-up by hand.

Lastly, is there any way of getting the decals custom-cut (with a fine robo-cutter or such)? Because then they can be cut from plain white decal paper and arranged in peices on the model's pad. That way, you have crisp edges, and no issues with colour-matching the green.

In terms of shading and highlighting... I understand what you mean about extreme shades/highlights. I do think that the green wash you use could be a little stronger though, as it seems to be a mostly wasted step right now. I'd suggest cutting the green wash you used with a spot of Vallejo game Colour Black-Green Ink. It's more of a Dark Angels green colour on it's own, but cut with the light green wash you used and applied as you have, it will deepen the shadows a little more without losing the colour vibrancy.

Finally, the highlights. I do think that touching a few extreme edges and corners (like, just a few around the helmet and the tops of the shins/knees, and the top of the backpack for example) with some white would help to define them without being too high contrast. The trick to this looking subtle is to cut a drop of white paint with three drops of matte medium and three drops of clean water on a clean palette. Then, apply with a lightly-moist brush very thinly. After about 24 hours, the matte medium "settles" and goes much more clear, leaving you with very fine soft white highlights that mimic light reflection in a natural way. Because these are very delicate, you can control them quite well, and you can build them up more if you want to later. Also, they are not really "pure white", since they are translucent enough to allow the colour underneath to come through.

Here's what's coming up next… Got a box of Vanguard Vets and some Assault Marines with the intention of making:

A) a ton of options for weapons, via magnets.

B) less blinged-out vets. Still decorated, just less over the top I hope.

C) a full-strength unit for those times when you just need to feel like your RG chapter tactics are getting put to good use.

gallery_74115_8912_66199.jpg

Doesn't look like much yet. Took three pairs of legs from the new kit and swapped one leg with the regular assaults to reduce the Bling-Per-Model (BPM) ratios and add a little more variety to poses. You won't find the legs with the leather straps over the crotch here, as I decided that will do nicely on a planned jump-chaplain kit bash I'm thinking about. You will find a pair of standing legs with a really add pose (doesn't look like much in this angle) that is actually two separate standing legs mixed, to get the bending knees, and one of the legs ended up a full repose to make one leg raised up a bit to lend weight to an overhead strike I'm framing up. Right now they bodies are just blu-tacked on. I want to add strategic bling to up the BPM on a couple, clean up mould lines, fill in gaps from hip surgery, etc.

I'm pretty pumped about a couple that I have planned, but I'm stalling out on their arms because I'm still not certain how I'm arming them.

Archived