Alternate Heresy Community Project

Conn Eremon

So...the treasonous Astral Wolves have what are, canonically, loyalist only toys, while the Black Watch and Overseer Schaeffer are best represented by Khârn & as many Berzerkers as it is mathematically possible to field.

Odd, that.

As far as the Despoiler's themselves go, it seems like if the Wolves are making good use of them every Chaos Warband would pick them up, as there's no "Must be devoted to X God" or "Must do Ritual Y" to restrict their use.

Er, yeah. That's a bit odd, since you bring it up.sweat.gif

Wasn't the Traitor AdMech in our version as paranoid about technology as the canon Loyal AdMech?ermm.gif

If so, the Despoilers could be designed as a result (or cause) of a rift between the Astral Wolves and the Traitor AdMech. Heck, the Traitor AdMech could then make it clear to other legions that anyone caught using the Despoilers would lose all support from the AdMech, or something.

I dunno, just throwing ideas around.sweat.gif

Or...we could have the Chaos Legions be the ones that get all the toys from Codex: Space Marines, with Chapter Tactics redone to model Marks and so on, and let the Chaos Codex represent the fragmented Loyalist Sucessors (Obliterators are now Radical Ad Mech Adaptive Power Armor, Heldrakes are something like the Blood Angels flying Librarian Dreadnaught, and so on.)

Or not.

Despoilers could just be counts-as Obliterators, modelled with a bunch of different guns for appropriateness. That'd probably be the easiest way to do it.

To be honest, I'm just looking for ways to make the Astral Wolves stand out a little. I might need to think up reasons the other Legions wouldn't use Despoilers for that to really work. I could see Roboute dismissing them as inefficient and Ferrous laughing with contempt at the pathetic attempt to ape his magnificent machines, but I'm not sure about the other Primarchs.

I'll sleep on it and see what I come up with, just in case I have a good idea for a change.laugh.png

Well, if you want to play up the "charismatic rabble rousers" nature of the Astral Wolves, perhaps instead of Despoilers their unique special snowflake unit should be something like a Dark Apostle, fiery demagogues (Daemagogues?) trained in rhetoric by Lupercal himself, who can cause entire worlds to rise in rebellion with words alone.

"Workers of Armageddon, unite! You have nothing to lose but your chains!"

You guys are geniuses.laugh.png

So, combining Wade and Cormac's ideas, that'd give me Demagogues who adopt the names of notable figures from a planet's history (which would be obtained by mortal infiltrators, perhaps) and stir the population into rebellion by destabilizing their leadership and general rabble-rousing.

Fun stuff!

That was my own reaction to it as well.

Honestly, I think I like it with Konrad being the only one to say something. Since this is a battle in the mind (/visions/warp/lolidunno), with both Primarchs sort of dueling across the myriad timelines, I can see Konrad, confident now that Sanguinius has no means to escape a fate that the Executioner Lord went to great lengths to set in stone, in spite of the fickle, mercurial nature of their visions, be the one to physically act. At that point, his awareness is back in the real world.

Sanguinius doesn't respond, because he is by no means giving up. When Konrad utters that final condemnation, and the axe cuts into his neck, Sanguinius isn't there. He's still deep in his visions, trying to find the one crack in Konrad's nearly perfect plan.

Technically, he had already found it. He just refused to use it. Until there were no more options left.

Tbh, I wasn't entirely sure that Sanguinius' line was appropriate or in-character. I just thought it was a cool image. smile.png

You guys are geniuses.laugh.png

So, combining Wade and Cormac's ideas, that'd give me Demagogues who adopt the names of notable figures from a planet's history (which would be obtained by mortal infiltrators, perhaps) and stir the population into rebellion by destabilizing their leadership and general rabble-rousing.

Fun stuff!

Reading through what you guys have been saying about the Astral Wolves I've really begun to form a concept of their modus operandi being a highly aggressive guerilla warfare mix of the canon-verse Luna Wolves' devastating decapitating strikes with the Alpha Legion's mortal agents support and advanced, multi-tiered planning.

I can see squads of well-armed and trained cultists/traitor guard units, Astartes Recon and Bike squads being very commonplace in Astral Wolves warbands, backed up by deep-striking Termis (ala SoH)and Assault squads. Dreadnoughts are uncommon but still present via drop-podding with the Wolves having little else in the way of armoured support save maybe Rhinos due to their lack of resources.

That would certainly fit with my idea of them, given our current lines of thought. It's certainly an effective means of conquering worlds, which canon Horus was certainly among the best at such. And it adds a certain level of practicality to it, which was something canon Corax had going for him. While the comparison to the Alpha Legion is certainly apt, I feel that what it has most going for it is the fact that it is a more revealing and faithful combination of Horus Lupercal genetic predispositions and the nurturing effect of Deliverance.

And quite honestly, they sound absolutely horrifying to face. To repeat something I said in messages to Ace, imagine if the United States was attacked by Space Marines, led by a figure proclaiming himself George Washington. Imagine if the Spanish Inquisition or the Gestapo returned to haunt their countries of origin. Imagine if the United Kingdom fell to the fiery wrath and rhetoric of Shakespearre.

Though this got me thinking, we need heroes. We have heroic Primarchs. We have some anti-hero loyalists from Traitor Legions, or those who will come to dominate the traitor warbands. We have the Great Wall of Dead Folk honoring the names of the heroic fallen, but who are to us still nameless. We have the Sigismund, but we don't have a Sigismund. I can't think of any heroes of the Great Crusade whose identities the Astral Wolves would adopt to spread disruption of Chaos (true chaos, too. Not the orderliness of BLOOD! BLOOD! BLOOOOOOD! where nothing ever changes [for example], but truly chaotic Chaos). We should have some. The First Captain of the Emperor's Children, who stood upon the walls and fought longer and harder than any other. The First Legion Champion, who arrived with his Cohort, the only First Legion force to take part of the Siege, whose sacrificial drop and charge relieved a beleaguered loyalist band more than ten times his number and forced the Traitors to realize that reinforcements are arriving. Even though the Champion had been under no orders by his Primarch, but made the decision when the messy Warp business prevented him from getting back in contact with the Palatinate. What about the Executioner who boasted, with honesty, the highest tally of his Legion? 

This ain't no place for no hero . . . 

This ain't no place for no 

better man . . . 

Gah! Now it's going to be stuck in my head all day.

To repeat something I said in messages to Ace, imagine if the United States was attacked by Space Marines, led by a figure proclaiming himself George Washington. Imagine if the Spanish Inquisition or the Gestapo returned to haunt their countries of origin. Imagine if the United Kingdom fell to the fiery wrath and rhetoric of Shakespearre.

Umm... Kind of a severe difference in threat levels for the UK there, what does a modern UK have to fear from one of her greatest poets and playwrights? Ya'know, besides a sudden drop in population as english teachers, drama teachers, poets, classical actors, etc all drop dead from simultaneous heart attacks at the thought of meeting him? laugh.png

Perhaps Henry VIII or Oliver Cromwell would be a more fitting choice? sweat.gif

To repeat something I said in messages to Ace, imagine if the United States was attacked by Space Marines, led by a figure proclaiming himself George Washington. Imagine if the Spanish Inquisition or the Gestapo returned to haunt their countries of origin. Imagine if the United Kingdom fell to the fiery wrath and rhetoric of Shakespearre.

Umm... Kind of a severe difference in threat levels for the UK there, what does a modern UK have to fear from one of her greatest poets and playwrights?

You don't know true fear until you're threatened in Iambic Pentameter, my friend.laugh.png

Regarding non-Primarch heroes of the Legions - are we allowed to just run wild and make some up, or do they have to be tied to the canon?

I seem to recall there weren't many names I could draw on for the EC, is my main motivation for asking.

On the topic of non-Primarch heroes, I would recommend making an attempt on canon figures if available. Making characters up is going to be our only means of having characters for some of us. Emperor's Children and Red Corsairs are pretty much bare of canon figures, because our knowledge of the Terran/home world born is incomplete. Was a decision made on Santar, though? Was he not Medusan? But for the sake of our readers, I would recommend we at least try to show off characters that they are more familiar with. Both to provide a sense of familiarity and to highlight the many departures we have taken from canon.

As for the ghosts of heroes past, the threat they represent isn't just militaristic. That is provided first and foremost by the Marines' actions in and of itself. What provides the extra 'oomph' is the rhetoric. The existential crisis that must surely come from a people being assaulted by the most influential members of its own past. Imagine the canon Night Lords, taking over the communications of an entire world so that everyone on the planet, by way of radio, comm signals, visual, whatever, can hear their own death screams. 24/7. Applied to our current line of thought, imagine an Astral Wolf demagogue, trained by the galaxy's second most charismatic figure in a history of charismatic figures, coming to a world and taking over its communications. He has been debriefed on the wealth of information that is this world's past, and he has selected key figures that most shaped it to its current status quo. Figures who had a profound cultural impact, such as a political juggernaut, famous playwright, conductors of social experiments whose knowledge redefined not just their own societies but those that were founded upon theirs, all of these individuals have their words taken and parroted back at the world, a world unable to stop the signals or tune out the noise. The words seem unchanged, but they paint a bleak picture of life on this world, of its people and its governance. It rallies them to stand and fight, or hide and die. But these aren't the only people who have shaped this world. Some were conquerors. Warriors. Leaders of men and women in battles that reshaped the course of history. Certainly, the words of these individuals can be blasted across the globe just the same, but with them, other opportunites arise for the Astral Wolves to spread terror and anarchy. With these historic individuals, the Marines and their cultists can adopt not just their rhetoric, but their strategies and tactics. An ancient conqueror, who forced half the world to kneel at his feet before he was done, loudly declares his return. At first, there is disbelief. And then the land of his birth so many millennia ago goes dark. The ancient scar that was his path of destruction, healed long ago, is torn anew when forces the world cannot fully comprehend, let alone defend against, marches upon it. With so many overlapping voices and destruction, the world erupts with madness. And anarchy reigns supreme.

Ah, Gabriel Santar!

I'd entirely forgotten about him, to my shame.pinch.gif

I think there's probably room for a rousing tale about The First Immortal and his incredible feats of heroism at the Siege of Terra. I'll see what I can come up with.turned.gif

On the topic of non-Primarch heroes, I would recommend making an attempt on canon figures if available. Making characters up is going to be our only means of having characters for some of us. Emperor's Children and Red Corsairs are pretty much bare of canon figures, because our knowledge of the Terran/home world born is incomplete. Was a decision made on Santar, though? Was he not Medusan? But for the sake of our readers, I would recommend we at least try to show off characters that they are more familiar with. Both to provide a sense of familiarity and to highlight the many departures we have taken from canon.

As for the ghosts of heroes past, the threat they represent isn't just militaristic. That is provided first and foremost by the Marines' actions in and of itself. What provides the extra 'oomph' is the rhetoric. The existential crisis that must surely come from a people being assaulted by the most influential members of its own past. Imagine the canon Night Lords, taking over the communications of an entire world so that everyone on the planet, by way of radio, comm signals, visual, whatever, can hear their own death screams. 24/7. Applied to our current line of thought, imagine an Astral Wolf demagogue, trained by the galaxy's second most charismatic figure in a history of charismatic figures, coming to a world and taking over its communications. He has been debriefed on the wealth of information that is this world's past, and he has selected key figures that most shaped it to its current status quo. Figures who had a profound cultural impact, such as a political juggernaut, famous playwright, conductors of social experiments whose knowledge redefined not just their own societies but those that were founded upon theirs, all of these individuals have their words taken and parroted back at the world, a world unable to stop the signals or tune out the noise. The words seem unchanged, but they paint a bleak picture of life on this world, of its people and its governance. It rallies them to stand and fight, or hide and die. But these aren't the only people who have shaped this world. Some were conquerors. Warriors. Leaders of men and women in battles that reshaped the course of history. Certainly, the words of these individuals can be blasted across the globe just the same, but with them, other opportunites arise for the Astral Wolves to spread terror and anarchy. With these historic individuals, the Marines and their cultists can adopt not just their rhetoric, but their strategies and tactics. An ancient conqueror, who forced half the world to kneel at his feet before he was done, loudly declares his return. At first, there is disbelief. And then the land of his birth so many millennia ago goes dark. The ancient scar that was his path of destruction, healed long ago, is torn anew when forces the world cannot fully comprehend, let alone defend against, marches upon it. With so many overlapping voices and destruction, the world erupts with madness. And anarchy reigns supreme.

This sounds so amazing, thinking about it this kind of tactic could really divide the defenders and seriously slow the mobilisation of organised resistance as people argue over things.

Is the "resurrected" figure really who they say they are? If so, should they join or fight them? If they aren't the historical figure does that mean their promises/ethos/whatever, is all bull or do they mean it? Etc, etc.

Perhaps in addition to the demagougue's speeches they have a marine (or the demagougue's himself) undergo surgical procedures so they resemble the figure the Wolves have co-opted for their cause to further add weight to the whole "Holy :cuss: the great conqueror is back as was prophesied!" due to witnesses spreading word of their return after having seen it with their own eyes.

Damn, this is a really twisted way of war, you don't just go after the enemies' armies, you go after their heroes, the very legends that embody their people's pride and strength. But that's not enough to simply attack those figures, you take them and turn them against their own people until their spirit is completely broken.

Hearts and minds indeed.

The question I have is "Why?"

That is to say, why did Lupercal and the Wolves create and perfect this particular method of warfare? While it would be death on a stick against human cultures (assuming you are able to get your preliminary scouting/intelligence gathering done) it seems to be of limited use against xenosbreeds, whose history is going to be just a bit trickier to comprehend and weaponize.

Especially if we're talking about greenskins.

Maybe they adopt more conventional tactics against xenos, reserving their anarchistic approach for Mankind. As it is an extension of their own ideological beliefs, it makes sense that they would only act this way where they deem it appropriate. They only destabilize the governance of humans because human governance is the only kind they care about.

Or maybe they have other means of destabilizing gaggles of xenos. Assassinate Warbosses. Hell, the Astral Wolves could be the instigators that sparked off the Tau rebellion against the Eldar.

But you are right to question why, and I look forward to hearing Ace's explanation. It really makes me want to know how Lupercal liberated Kiavahr's moon-colony-prison.

That is, of course, if Ace Debonair is for the idea. It sounds like it, but he is free to change his mind or tweak it as he sees fit.

Lupercal saved the moon-colony of Kiavahr by rallying the slaves and stealing some ships.

After that it was a case of 'blockading the ports', so to speak - the slaves and their ships boarded and looted incoming vessels, taking any useful supplies and preventing the wardens from getting any sort of support. Once the wardens were too weak to stop the revolution it happened quickly.

That's pretty much how they wage war, attacking supply lines and isolated targets to weaken the enemy. Once weakened, they come in and mop up.

It's how they try to fight Jonson's well-defended Empire, looking for weakness and preying on it where available. Although I'd imagine they only find the weak points Jonson wants them to find.

When it's not an option, well, they're still a Legion and can fight like one.

I think them using the Ghost/Demagogue tactics on human worlds fits really well - they're ultimately seeking to leave people alive, and even post-heresy it works well to effectively neutralize Imperial worlds' fighting strength.

For xenos, as mentioned, it's not really used. But then most armies have some sort of supply lines that can be taken out, so that becomes their primary tactic. happy.png

Though this got me thinking, we need heroes.

AEVALRYFF THE PENITENT

Legion: Imperial Hounds

Jarl Lorgar gave me the rarest gift of all: a second chance. As long as I live, I will never fail him.

Even as a child, Aevalryff was prone to uncontrollable rages, where he would lash out at anything around him.

On old Fenris, this might have marked him as a future champion or reaver lord. But in the orbital habitats the Imperium constructed for the Seventeenth Primarch's people, matters were far different.

Although his parents sought to temper the child's fury, matters came to a head after a violent incident where he killed a would be bully with his fists, and then struck his own younger brother in a blind frenzy.

While his parents tended their youngest child's wounds, Aevalryff sought out the Legionaires charged with maintaining order in his hab and begged to be judged for his crimes, prefering death or imprisonment to endangering his loved ones.

Instead, he was inducted into the Legion, where hypnoconditioning and military discipline wrought as loyal an Astartes as could be expected....loyaler, for Aevalryff fought with the zeal of the redeemed.

Large even by the standards of Space Marines, he specialized in leading a "Boar's Tusk", the wedge shaped formation the Hounds utilized against foes arrayed in a phalanx or shieldwall who withstood their initial ponderous advance.

Breaking such intractable masses was one of the most difficult and casualty inducing roles in infantry warfare, yet from his days as an iniate to his final battle no enemy formation ever withstood his might.

Founder of the Red Bears Successors? Better than Bulls, I suppose.

Ace: I forgot that the Liberation of Liberation had already been given, my bad. I was kind of hoping for Lupercal going all psychological warfare on Kiavahr. "Kiiiiiiavvvvaaahrrr. Kiiiiiiiavvvvvvaaahrrrr. Mars is here, Kiavahr. And they are not happy with the current state of things, Kiavahr. Oh, they do not like . . . Hold on a second. Yes? What do they want? The fleet is how big!? Patch me through. Yes, this is Lupercal. Uh huh. Uh huh. Right. No :cuss ing way. Really? Okay. Yeah, see you soon. Ahem! Kiavahr? You still there? Yeah, so turns out Mars actually is here, and they actually aren't happy, because I'm the son of their Omnissiah. I know, it's a riot, right? Ohhh, too soon? Badabubuh Bye!" *click*

But I can actually see the idea of this new theme not originating from Lupercal, but from his Legion. Thinking about it, canon Horus Lupercal is the first Primarch found, who is found so soon that it is difficult to tell if he was ever even gone. His Legion, the Luna Wolves, have forged a semblance of an identity fighting on Terra and Luna, but are almost entirely made in their Primarch's image from that point on. Everything we know about them is pretty much canon Horus' influence. Like the Iron Tenth becoming the Iron Hands, only at least the Iron Tenth showed signs of what they could have become. So, what would the Luna Wolves have become if they hadn't been with their Primarch so soon? What identity might they have forged for themselves?

Well, what if they began to glorify and emulate figures of the past? Not just warriors, but figures of any kind who were influential to Mankind, according to the mindsets of those brainwashed into the Emperor's ideals. Maybe they weaponized it, too. What if the Luna Wolves came into orbit over a world, and they conquered it for the Emperor, while blasting the rhetoric of the remembrancers and proving the superiority of the Imperium of Man by assaulting the world like the Legion's glorified ancient warlords of legend. It needn't be a major aspect of their identity. It could be small, or rare to see.

But when Lupercal the Destabilizer is united with his Legion, and catches wind of this practice, an idea begins to form. And you end up with a Legion like we described above, forged by combining the anarchistic ideologies of their Primarch, his talent for disruption and the fixation on the influences of historical figures.

DELVARUS "THE HAND OF ANGRON"

Legion: Celestial Lions

Wits cut deeper than swords.

Recruited into the ranks of the XII from a feral world, Delvarus initially rose to prominence among the Lions as a duellist and blademaster, with some claiming he possesed greater skills than even notables like Khârn or Aemilius.

But fate had other plans for the brash young warrior. In a battle against renegade eldar corsairs, his right arm was severed by a shuriken cannon.

To make matters worse, the xenos blades were laced with a posion that ravaged the nerve endings to the point that bionic replacement was impossible.

Maimed and useless, Delvarus sank into a deep depression, languishing in the apocetharion until the Lord of Maccrage himself paid the once promising Astartes a visit.

No records are kept of what was said during the meeting, but from that day forward the dark skinned Astartes was a changed man.

Studying tactics and logistics with the same focus he once applied to personal combat, he rose to officer rank, eventually organizing one of the many unique formations within the XII.

Delvarus's "Longstriders" drew inspiration from the hunters of his homeworld, who would singlehandedly trail the planet's deadly megafauna for weeks at a time, wearing it down ambushes and snares until the time was right for the killing blow.

They and their lord earned a reputation for shrewdness and craft, and where Delvarus was once famed as a fighter among the Lions, his skill as a commander was acclaimed throughout the Eighteen Legions.

@Cormac:

Actually, he'll found "The Crimson Tusks", whose look is based off that fellow with the snazzy red power armor and tusked warhelm on the cover of "Treacheries of the Space Marines" who TOTALLY might be a loyalist, you can't 100% prove he isn't.

You mean this magnificent bastard?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-LuaR9uJvMSM/TlFEJ2BMt4I/AAAAAAAABHE/e4pjJIEHZkI/s1600/000.jpg

Because not only did I always just assume he was a Red Corsair, but it was actually the image that sealed the deal for having my VI Legion be the Red Corsairs. I even intended to use the image as a representation of the Legion's second in command, following his corruption.

Of course, it is a great image, and I never mentioned this before, so I can't be surprised that someone else thought about using it as inspiration. Ah well, no reason why the image can't be related to two separate things.

Makes me think, though. What of the Eye of Horus in the picture? I had intended to say it was just a Chaos Star, with the eye-shape just something to make it  appear more ornate and star-like, something that has relevance to the star-crazed Red Corsairs in their corrupted future.

But the actual Eye of Horus is from the Eye of Terra, minus all of the Chaosy elements. Which should still be a thing in our universe. Should Corax adopt it upon being made Warmaster, as a symbolic gesture? If so, I wouldn't see him renaming it to the Eye of Corax. Or does it become a unifying symbol across the loyalist forces, illustrating loyalty to the Emperor on Terra above all else? Both befitting and a nice distinction from canon. Both have merit in my eyes, though I lean a bit on the latter. That might just be the native loyalist in me, though.

That's the pic I was thinking of (although I missed the Chaos Star on his shoulder somehow)

Heh.

Eye of Terra.

To be fair, it isn't as if there's a shortage of red Marines in canon (Word Bearers, World Eaters, Blood Angels, Genesis, Crimson Consuls, Red Corsairs, Crimson Slaughter, etc, etc) and tusked Terminator helms aren't a Traitor only thing either.

Or at least, the sets of Tactical Dreadnaught Armor Talos & Co. looted from the Salamanders and used in Void Stalker had the tusks as well.

I like the idea of using the EoT to display one's allegiance to the Emperor over the Warmaster, although it'd have Horus spinning in his grave.

If Abaddon hadn't cremated him, that is.

You mean this magnificent bastard?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-LuaR9uJvMSM/TlFEJ2BMt4I/AAAAAAAABHE/e4pjJIEHZkI/s1600/000.jpg

Because not only did I always just assume he was a Red Corsair, but it was actually the image that sealed the deal for having my VI Legion be the Red Corsairs. I even intended to use the image as a representation of the Legion's second in command, following his corruption.

Actually the guy in the picture is from the Oracles of Change, a Tzeentch-worshipping warband: http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Oracles_of_Change#.Uy1K0OMgGc0

GABRIEL SANTAR - THE FIRST IMMORTAL

Lord-Commander of the Avernii Millenial at the time of the Heresy, up until the Siege of Terra. Gabriel Santar was known to be an excellent leader, and amongst the finest warriors of the III Legion. He was known by reputation even in the other Legions as a fearsome combatant.

After the walls of the Imperial Palace were breached, Santar and his followers fought their way down to the breach, rallying against the tide of enemies arrayed against the loyal defenders of the Emperor.

Though too late to stop the Warmaster from entering the palace, the Lord-Commander and his Morlock Terminator bodyguard managed to hold the breach for several hours, battling against the finest warriors the Traitor Legions could muster.

They were driven back eventually when a Champion of the Chainsworn severed Santar's right arm and left him with a vicious stomach wound that hampered his ability to walk. Apothecaries worked quickly to stabilize the Lord-Commander, and while the Morlocks rushed back in to defend the breach, they were killed to the last man.

The news that his friends and fellow warriors had died sent Santar into a towering fury. Shrugging aside his wounds, he took up one of his twin power swords, and, in the company of a small force of Emperor's Children and Solar Tigers, marched back into the breach once more.

After the siege, Gabriel Santar was found slain, slumped against the wall of the Palace with a son of Sanguinius* impaled still on his broken sword, having finally suffered too many wounds.

In the aftermath, it was the Legion's other Lord-Commanders who petitioned the Primarch to allow Santar's weapons and armour to be repaired and issued to the foremost warrior in the Legion, and with Fulgrim's blessing, the practice was extended to include all the Lord-Commanders who had fallen in defence of the Palace.

From that day onwards, in the most difficult conflicts and seemingly impossible battles, a marine by the name of Santar, clad in gold and purple armour, with twin power swords, has often been seen leading the charge for the Emperor's Children.

* Were Sanguinus and his legion at our Siege? If not I can swap it out for someone else.turned.gif

Archived