Alternate Heresy Community Project

Conn Eremon

OK, that's two of the battlecries dealt with.

I'm a little unsure of using 'Justice like Lightning' for the Emperor's Children, if only because justice is very much Konrad's virtue.

That said, using clan mottoes appeals to me very, very much, what with Medusa being a clan-driven society.

Time to go do some more research!biggrin.png

Somebody definitely needs to pick up Clan Campbell's "Ne obliviscaris!" (Do not forget!) post Heresy. Possibly a Lightning Bearer or Executioners Successor?

Anyway, I was thinking the Seventeenth's female fighting force would be the foundation of our alt galaxy's Sisters of Battle, but they're not there at the time of the Heresy.

Perhaps their expansion into a full fledged Imperial subfaction post Heresy is the Hound's way of cocking a snook at Jonson's "reforms"?

Idea: They guard the Hounds' ships when the Astartes launch boarding actions. I think at the Shattering some of them should either:

A. Rescue Lorgar while fighting off Red Corsairs (bonus points if Leman has ever poked fun at his brother for bringing mere mortals into Astartes fights)

B.Pull a Garro and bring word to Fulgrim on Terra.

Thunder! Thunder! Thunder Cavs HOOOOOOOO!

The battlecry of the IIIrd Legion's Thunder Cavalry, rapid reaction heavy support vehicle squadrons.

Wade: I had already considered that Leman would use mortals heavily for shipwork. You can't crew the whole damn thing with Astartes alone, who are far more useful making war either repelling or boarding themselves.

There could differences, though. Leman would be all for pressganging slave labor, for instance.

Actually, I was thinking along similar lines for the explanation of how a "Shattered" Seventeenth wins at Fenris.

Basically, Leman has lots of ships, but comparitively few Astartes on each ship.

So the Hounds, while outnumbered overall, are able to pull off a "defeat in detail" strategy, with their boarding parties overwhelming the crew of each individual ship.

Edit:

I was also considering changing things so the Hounds get "Calthed" instead of shattered.

Basically, the two Legions are gathering to go after Corax, but first they will each be presented with a "kingship" that was commissioned for the Imperium's two best void commanders.

Leman springs his trap and captures or destroys much of Lorgar's fleet, one kingship is blown up, but battered survivors drag a badly wounded/possibly dying Lorgar aboard the other kingship and flee.

Leman assures Corax the Seventeenth are done, finished, kaput...and then Traitor fleets and supply lines start getting blown out of the sky by a monstrously powerful warship and raided by rag tag squadrons flying Lorgar's colors.

Corax expresses his unhappiness, and Leman grabs the ships he captured in the ambush and heads for Fenris to deal with this situation.

Somebody definitely needs to pick up Clan Campbell's "Ne obliviscaris!" (Do not forget!) post Heresy. Possibly a Lightning Bearer or Executioners Successor?

Agreed, that's a catchy one.

The best I can come up with for the Emperor's Children was Clan MacDougall's 'conquer or die', which in latin was 'vincere aut mori', which google translate tells me is also 'victory or death'.

I think that's a pretty good fit for them, so I'm gonna use it.happy.png

EDIT:

So would the Imperial Hounds still have the Not-Sororitas as part of their legion, or would they be something else entirely after the heresy?

If the ladies saved Lorgar's life during the attack on Fenris, I could see him keeping some of them around with the Legion even if he sets the majority to protecting Terra or similar.

EDIT EDIT:

Thunder! Thunder! Thunder Cavs HOOOOOOOO!

If I had Thunderwolves, maybe, but then I'd have to slap myself for having Thunderwolves, so...

Wade: That reminds me! I had forgotten, but I had also thought about making Kingships a part of the Fenris assault. I had thought that maybe the giant space arcologies around Fenris could double as ship docks and forges. I was thinking that maybe the Imperial Hounds would be the ones who initially build the giant vessels in orbit around Fenris. The Red Corsairs assault Fenris and are the first ones to get the Kingships out of their docks, but of course not all of them. In the fallout of the battle, the docks are pretty much destroyed, irreparable. The Red Corsairs are able to escape off with some of the Kingships they had started off with, the Imperial Hounds are able to salvage a roughly equal amount of their own.

But that was my initial idea. Making them gifts to both are fine as well.

Making it a Calth-parallel has my approval.

Ace:

Damn you, I got attached to the idea of a Thunder Cavalry! Why'd you have to bring the wolves into this?

Edit: Forgot to say, Ace, that is the canon Raven Guard's motto. Victorus aut mortis.

As far as we know, there were only three kingships ever created: Furious Abyss, Blessed Lady, and Trisagion. I figured in this alt verse, two of them were built by the Mechanicum, and each of the space Legions was supposed to get one.

I had the Corsair kingship get blown up because if I recall correctly Leman already has Phalanx after stealing it from Bron (I doubt those two sit by each other at family functions).

Also, I had an idea for Konrad, Anubis, and Barabbas:

ESCAPE FROM OLYMPIA.

Roboute has turned the whole planet into a dumping ground for prisoners, where the Thirteenth watch over them from mountaintop fortresses. It's the perfect place to keep his Prosperan brother for a few friendly chats.

Ace:

Damn you, I got attached to the idea of a Thunder Cavalry! Why'd you have to bring the wolves into this?

Edit: Forgot to say, Ace, that is the canon Raven Guard's motto. Victorus aut mortis.

It is? Blast! Back to the drawing board.sweat.gif

Also, you sing the Thundercats theme on a 40/30k Forum and expect me to not think of Thunderwolves? laugh.png

As far as we know, there were only three kingships ever created: Furious Abyss, Blessed Lady, and Trisagion. I figured in this alt verse, two of them were built by the Mechanicum, and each of the space Legions was supposed to get one.

I had the Corsair kingship get blown up because if I recall correctly Leman already has Phalanx after stealing it from Bron (I doubt those two sit by each other at family functions).

I don't remember that! blink.png

I'm cool with it, though, provided Cormac doesn't mind the White Scars coming to discuss the matter of the Phalanx's ownership occasionally. whistlingW.gif

I mean, Bron might even use coherent words once in a while between his howls of pure, concentrated rage.laugh.png

It was in the initial snippet where he introduced Leman "Russ", SPAAACE PIRATE!

Of course, that was long before all the Primarchs were nailed down, so it may have changed. As for Bron....

"Aye, matey, she were one of the finest ships I ever had the privilege to captain. I'd be overjoyed ta return her to you...if it weren't for those xenos. Horrible things, they were! All a'them like snakes down below, but with more arms than any decent thing should ever have and every arm with a weapon, a screaming in joy even as me crew kilt'em. Scuttled her, they did, and 'twas a terrible sight. Mr. Ranko wept for three days after."

If Cormac decides that Leman didn't get Phalanx, then yes, the Corsairs should get a kingship or two.

Thought:

Lorgar and co. escape on the one unfinished kingship that hasn't even been named yet, but after the death of Fenris and well into 40k the Imperial Hounds are based from their mighty flagship, "Queen Elanin's Revenge".

I could see Leman on the run from both the White Scars and the loyalists during our equivalent of the Scouring.laugh.png

Was Queen Elanin Lorgar's adoptive mother?

'Cause if so, then censored.gif yeah.

For the Emperor's Children Warcry, the Armstrong clan motto of 'Invictus Maneo' or 'I remain unvanquished' could work.

It's more of a cry of defiance than a 'come and have a go if you think you're hard enough'. More like a 'I've faced down worse before and lived to speak of it'.

Fulgrim himself probably wouldn't really use a battlecry, but I could see his Legion getting attached to it, especially post-heresy.happy.png

"The High Queen's Revenge" might fit better.

That works for the EC, yeah. Maybe trim it to a simple "Unbroken!" or possibly "Unbowed!" when the bullets are flying? And I'm a touch disappointed no one went with a Legion motto of "Venite ad me, fratere!"

Maybe post Heresy.

I'd asked you some time ago if it was still acceptable, but I never got a response, Ace. Might be on the lost thread.

Since you're cool with it, I'll keep it. But not as a ship of the line. It would be a fortress-monastery, more like the Rock than canon Phalanx. A port for the Corsairs, safe and hidden. Bron would have words, but he could never prove what he never finds. Lupercal's tale would be explained away as some Space Hulk that has since broken apart and drifted away.

I would still love a Kingship as a flagship, but if people think it's too much, I can grab a Gloriana or something.

I had honestly forgotten how few there were, so having only two ready is fine.

If the Imperial Hounds do take the still unmade ship and want a remembrance ship for Elanin, what if they modify it as they build it up to completion? Making it slightly different to the Kingship it was meant to be. A Queenship. Named Furious Vengeance or somesuch. Never mind, that's just Vengeful Fury without sounding good.

I'm not quite sure how you're going to pry Bron's prized flagship out from under him, though. It might call for some skulduggery. pirate.gif

Also, and this might be one of my infamously silly questions, but why is Lupercal telling tales again?

All right, let's try this:

The Kingship production facility at (insert name of important planet here, maybe Nostromo? It's stupidly rich in adamantium, and it isn't as if the inhabitants will care if the Ad Mech sets up shop there) has just started rolling them out. Currently, there are two of them finished and a third in production.

The first two are earmarked for the Hounds and the Corsairs, and named something like "Red Wake" and "Heart of the Pack".

The two Primarchs are supposed to have a big ceremony where they take command of their flagships simultaneously, swear oaths of brotherhood, mend old wounds, blah de blah blah, then go out and murder Corax's face.

Welp. Leman puts paid to THAT. Corsairs board and are crawling all over "Heart of the Pack" and Lorgar's been carved to doll rags.

A skeleton crew of Hounds, Mechanicum, etc. blows up the (scrapcode infected?) Heart and the facility so the Corsairs don't get their hands on them, and so the rest can board the unfinished, unnamed kingship and escape.

Red Wake fires on the incomplete ship as it breaks into the Warp, damaging it badly and Leman thinks that's that.

At least until Corax calls him in to have a quiet chat about this giant ship that's wreaking havoc behind their lines.

And no offense but I like "High Queen's Revenge" for the name of the new flagship of Lorgar's fleet, but I also like your idea that they have to complete most of the work on it themselves under adverse conditions, so it ends up a very different vessel than Red Wake.

The original idea I had for the Cerberus:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2013/1/13/451997_md-Potential%20AL%20symbol.jpg

The Effrit were just going to have the Omega, chained across it's width. I'm open to suggestions, though.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

IV Legion - Iron Hoplites
Primarch - Perturabo the Hypaspistai
Home World - Chemos
Heraldry - The Iron Mask of Chemos, twin lightning bolts striking from it (see profile pic)
Colors - Iron and Gold, trimmed in Hellenic artwork
Tactics - Phalanx walls, Close sword work. Protect the weak at all costs.
Warcry - "Honour Within, Iron Without!"

VII Legion - Blackened Fists
Primarch - Rogal Dorn / The Haunted
Home World - Fleet-based, recruits taken from orphans
Heraldry - Obsidian spiked gauntlet, clenched, haloed in black thorns
Colors - Unification Grey, arms blackened to elbows in streaked patterns. Black leather cloaks and spiked chains are common.
Tactics - Hand to hand, night ambushes, terror tactics. No sign of restraint when released. All VII warriors wear thick adamantium gauntlets, officers have powered variants.
Motto - None. Vox-screams, at highest decibel setting possible, are extremely common.

Man, first the Thunder Cavalry gets rejected, then the Queenship?

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lr1emcaVds1ql9l8xo1_400.gif

Nice Badab War reference there, Wade. I might keep the Red Wake, though it may be too much, y'know? RED Corsairs, RED Wake.

Gonna give a flat no for Nostromo, in my opinion. It is a dead, forgotten world when Dorn leaves it, and it cheapens it if the AdMech shrugs and moves in. I'm sure another world could work. Hell, we could still use Calth, or make one up.

Otherwise, that all works for me.

Ace: In case you haven't been able to find it yet and now that I'm off work, here is the link:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/280098-nature-vs-nurture-the-what-if-edition/page-5?do=findComment&comment=3462278

It will of course need to be rewritten. But gist of it was is that, in the outskirts of Inwit, as Bron stares out the viewport of the station that built the Phalanx, he watches the skeletal crew, made up of a mixture of Inwit natives and hired help from nearby systems, pilot it free of its womb for the first time.

Suddenly, alarming reports start coming in, of entire crews going dark. Suddenly, the Phalanx's bridge is attacked, as part of the crew turns on their brothers with smuggled weaponry. Scanners report the warp drives activating and charging.

Bron is livid, absolutely livid. He orders the engines disabled, and boarding details hustled up. It takes a while, because nobody was prepared, making Bron even more furious. However, he is sure that he can disable the vessel before it makes for the Warp.

BAM! Small to medium-sized fleet pops out right over the, guns blazing. The fight is beutally shirt, but Bron's men do some damage. However, Phalanx uses the time to disappear. Unknown ships quickly disentangle themselves and disappear themselves. A chase is attempted, and some of the ships are found, but no Phalanx.

Exasperated and immensely furious, Bron is forced to accept that he was led on a merry chase, but he never forgets.

Didn't I just say that I liked the thought of ship Lorgar makes his getaway from being hammered togather by the survivors of the Sevenreenth so that it becomes a completely different design than the Ad Mech started it off as?

And I'd rather not use Calth, to be honest. SAY!

Why not use the Boros Gate from the Dark Disciple novels (convergence of stable Warp routes in a single system that enables fleets to muster there quickly.)

That seems a sensible place to put a shipyard and an excellent spot for the two fleet based Legions to link up.

Alternate universe is humorous:

Post heresy a Seventeenth Legion sucessor Squadron bases itself out of Boros Prime, and defends the Gate against attacks by warbands of the heretical Thirteenth.

Edit:

Heathens, did you see my idea that the Iron Hoplites would be one of the Legions heavily damaged in the Shattering, Pertutabo would accelerate the Mechanicum constructs project to rebuild their numbers, and Jonson would insist Pert's "Iron Sons" be shut down post Heresy?

Legion: XIX

Name: The Chainsworn

Primarch: Lanista Corax

Homeworld: Nuceria

Colours: Dusky Red armour often adorned by binding chains

Heraldry: A Bloody Hand-Print

Tactics: Vicious lightning strike attacks and crippling stratagems.

Battlecry: We will not be denied!

I just realized we need a replacement Loyal Legion for the Imperial Hounds at the Shattering.

Also, Noctus:

I had the crazy idea that while Barabbas and his men are on their millenia long voyage through the Warp falling to Nurgle, they emerge into a Warp Maelstrom to encounter and do battle with a force of "armored daemons", including one that fights Roboute to a standstill.

Said force is in fact the Post Scouring Chainsworn led by their Abaddon figure, so changed Barabbas doesn't even tecognize them as Astartes.

The Chaos Gods using these particular time warping shenanigans as an oppurtunity to kick Barabbas's belief in his own prowess out from under him and test He Who

Would Bear The Mark of Chaos Ascendant.

Well, does it have to be a Chainsworn? The Astral Wolves, Red Corsairs, and Celestial Angels are all possible sources for the Warmaster to arise from.

And yes, the Nucerian Legion is going to be tricky...we either need original characters or for Noctus and myself to divvy up Skane, Delvarus, Kargos, Esca,

Tagore, etc.

Archived