'Guardians of the Dead' - Heresy Era Death Guard

Reaver

gallery_19480_602_32109.jpg

"We were fools. We should have seen the madness within Horus, Mortarion and Typhus. We should of seen the madness in them all.

Are we deserving of this fate? Is this our punishment for failing to protect ourselves...from ourselves.

Where we meet our end only the Emperor knows, but we shall not forsake each other! All who are loyal to the Emperor shall stand and fight for him...and die for him. We will not let Horus achieve victory. We shall not abandon the hallowed name of Death Guard, for we are now true guardians of the dead. We shall avenge our fallen brothers! Our arm shall once again be stained red with the blood of the Emperor's justice and all traitors who fall into darkness and decay shall know our fury"

- Centurion 'Whiskeyjack'

Survived the initial virus bombing of Istvaan III but would later perish in the ground war.

--- I now step onto the blasted surface of Istvaan III and turn a grim eye to the hordes of traitors bearing down on me and my brothers. I know I shall probably die here on this war torn rock, but I am at peace with that for I still stand shoulder to shoulder with these loyal few, this band of brothers. We will not turn against each other, we will fight to continue the Emperor's dream of a united galaxy ---

So...what we have here is the start (again, after the crash a few days ago) of my loyalist Death Guard plog fighting for their lives on Istvaan III. I don't have a specific army list in mind as of yet but that shall happen in time. I am starting this with the "Loyalty and Treachery" thread in mind (have already signed up there) and shall hopefully continue the army long after it as well.

My idea for the army is one that is fighting to the last, making the enemy pay for each yard. Shall try to show the stoic brutality of the DG, no flashy show offs here. Painting wise they are gonna be rather gritty and dirty (helps that my painting isn't that up to scratch haha) with a fair amount of weathering. Shall try to imbue them with character and individuality, helped along by some fluffy snippets as I come up with them.

Enough jibber jabber, onto pics. These are no were near finished but some colour in a first post is always nice right? smile.png

gallery_19480_602_93474.jpg

Have 3 more tacticals, 5 marine squad of multi-meltas and a praetor terminator on the bench, but will be needing to order 5 more tacticals and some DG shoulder pads from forgeworld in order to fulfill my vow on loyalty and treachery.

Thanks for looking

Reaver

Excellent intro. I'll be following this, I've been meaning to make a pre-heresy force of DG just not got round to it yet.  In terms of rules to represent them, (unless using the 30k HH stuff) you may want to consider the latest Forgeworld badab war updates - a red scorpions proxy would give you an apothecary (so feel no pain rule) in each squad, but perhaps more interestingly, the star Phantoms character allows you to take devastators as both elite and heavy support. This would suit and all infantry force such as most DG companies.

Looking forward to more

Thanks Laborious and disease! There shall indeed be some more Bridgeburners scattered about, fell in love with Whiskeyjack's name the moment I saw it and even though it may not be very death guardy, my leader was thus named.

Very true Laborious, we must remind these wayward brothers what it means to be an oathbreaker. With bolter shell and jagged metal we shall etch that oath onto the sky.

Not sure what I shall be running them as yet disease. TBH have never actually played a full game yet, but have read through rules and have a pretty decent grasp of what is what. have not got a copy of Badab but I like the idea of the 90% infantry and apothecaries in each squad. Can go along nicely with the idea if 'guarding' the dead. Being able to bring home atleast a part of the fallen, a memory and a promise that can fuel the next 'generation' (same gene seed procedure was done in 30K as is done in 40K right?)

Just have been thinking ahead to how may bases shall look. The new special effects paints have caught my eye, particularly the cracked earth and nurgle's rot. Am thinking of having a mixed destroyed industrial/desert wastes bases with wicked deadly toxic waste, courtesy of the nurgle's rot paint. Piping, concrete, twisted metal, all from industry that was decimated in Horus' virus bombing and firestorm and have now been partially covered in dirt and other debris. What you think? Suitably Istvaan III with a little hint as to what the rest of the legion is going to go through...

Reaver

A Marine Dying

It hurt, It physically hurt him. Each time he took aim, each time he fired and each time he saw superhuman blood spray it hurt. He was slowly dying. With each astartes death he saw and each act of murder he committed a little part of him died. For this was not war, this was poor bloody mindedness and he was struggling against a tide of anger. Anger at himself, at his brothers, at his father and yes, even angry at the Emperor. He could not help it. "How did we come to this? What happened that made killing fellow marines even possible?"

He so desperately wanted to find someone to blame. But he knew deep inside, that finding that individual would utterly break him. To point finger at a brother he had known and fought beside throughout the decades would be too hard too bare. To come face to face with the knowledge that but for a cruel twisting a fate, it could have been him that fired that first deathly, finite shot was a mountain he could not climb. So, he would place no blame, take no pleasure and feel no pain as he fired upon faceless brothers who had fired upon him.

He was a marine dying. A slow, soul crushing death, from which there was no escape. He was trapped in a living hell.

---

Tiny update on the two

gallery_19480_602_36474.jpg

Still got lots to do but progress is being made.

Archived