1500 Luna Wolves - Now With Battle Reports

Moonstalker

Raising the thread from the dead for a bit.  I've already bought my first round of models, started working the resin into shape with knife, file, and putty, and generally been focusing on hobby.  I got one 750 point game in against Terry, pulled out a win at the end even though I got really worked over by the dice in the early game.

Anyway, despite having already bought my set of Culverins, I don't think I'm going to put them on any models.  Likewise, I am not going to put artificer armor and powerfists on my tactical sergeants.  The why is largely related, but I'll talk about the Culverins first.  They're great weapons, and when I've been able to shoot with them they do great work for me.  However, I usually don't get any first turn fire with them.  I like to call down the bombardment on turn 1, before my opponent can disperse his forces too much, and try to immobilize or destroy some transports on the other side of the table or something.  The second issue is that on turn 1 I'm usually hiding the squad.  Between my HQ and the Heavy Support squad, that's 20% of my army in 2 T4 2+/5+ wounds and 5 T4 3+ wounds.  Alpha striking that off the table is not hard, and it's only my good fortune that my opponents haven't been doing that.  Soon enough, they will wise up and stop letting me rip them up with such a fragile squad.

Second is the wargear on the tactical sergeants.  I like the flexibility it gives the squad, but it's also expensive... and 30k isn't really about flexibility.  So I'm stripping the sergeants of their powerfists and artificer armor, and just leaving them with bolters + meltabombs.  I am also adding augury scanners to the apothecaries to help protect my gunline from infiltrators and deep strikers.

With the points from all of this, I'm adding a new squad.  Hopefully, this squad will cover two aspects that I feel my list is weak in: melee and MC-killing.  With the prevalence of MC's in 40k (and now 30k with more Castellax showing up everywhere) I think it's more important than ever to have a good answer to them.  Likewise, with vehicles being tougher, it's going to be even harder to stop a Land Raider or Spartan from reaching your lines and delivering a load of terminators.  This squad will also be more resistant to shooting than the Heavy Support Squad it replaces.  Freeing up all three of my heavy support slots also allows me to split my Predator Squadron up, giving me additional flexibility and protection from overkill from enemy shooting.

So, the new list:

Legion Centurion

-Master of Signal, Artificer Armor, Refractor Field, Power Sword

Apothecarion Detachment

-2 Apothecaries with Augury Scanners

Contemptor-Mortis

-2 TL Lascannons

Legion Terminator Squad (Tartaros)

-4 Terminators with Powerfist/Combiplasma, Terminator Sergeant with Power Sword/Combiplasma

Legion Tactical Squad

-18 Tactical Marines, Legion Vexilla, Tactical Sergeant with meltabomb

Legion Tactical Squad

-18 Tactical Marines, Legion Vexilla, Tactical Sergeant with meltabomb

Legion Predator Strike Armor Squadron

-Legion Predator with Predator Autocannon and Lascannon Sponsons

Best part of all is I am now down to 1500 even, and no longer 5 points over.

My expansion towards 2k will likely still start with Machine Spirit for the Predators and then get rounded off with a big tank.  Top contenders are a Spartan with Flare Shield/Armored Ceramite for the Terminators to ride in or a Typhon with Armored Ceramite/Lascannon sponsons for blowing things up.  Part of me wants to field a Macharius counts-as a Typhon, simply because I prefer the looks of the former and the rules of the latter (heavy stubber sponsons?  gross).  It would be pretty simple to swap the heavy stubbers in the sponsons for some lascannons, and the hull-mounted TL heavy stubber could be a pintle-mounted heavy bolter upgrade on the Typhon with another weapon swap.  Otherwise I would just have to ignore the fact that the Macharius is fully turreted and only fire the main gun forward, and it'd be a pretty fair model swap.

I mean no offence when I say that your list looks very generic Kitwulfen. Excluding the tac squads and hq I'd go as far as to say almost 40k like.

How do you find the foots logging termies?

Are the three predators and mortis enough at? I guess it's 8 lascannons targeting 4 seperate units.

Had any games with it yet? How did it go?

Also, where does your master go?

I haven't had many games lately, and none with this newest list.  My gaming group is in a bit of disarray, some people moving off for new jobs and the like, others busy with Real Life things.  Most of the list, points-wise, I've gotten some playtesting in with.  The Contemptor-Mortis, Predators, and Tac Squads have been a staple of my list for most of this thread, and they work well together.  One of my earlier playtests had a footslogging squad of Cataphractii with a librarian, and they were kinda useless (except for the Librarian, until he killed himself with perils).  I'm hoping these Tartaros suits will be less useless.  Even if they aren't amazing, I still really want to get some of FW's awesome terminators for my army.  I really prefer the look of Cataphractii, but they just won't have the mobility for footslogging.

I agree that the list is kind of generic overall, but I don't really see that as a bad thing.  I know a lot of people like to concentrate on the most iconic units and heroes in the HH, but I always wanted something that was more... everyman.  I want to portray terra-born legionaires during the Great Crusade, the rank and file who helped build the Imperium.  The kind of guys who might've been on a deployment so far away from Horus that they may not have even gotten the memo that they were now "Sons of Horus" and that they were supposed to repaint their armor.  The exact kind of guys who would've been betrayed at Istvaan III because they were soldiers of the Imperium first and foremost.

That, combined with my own preferences for gunlining with a lot of tanks and supporting infantry, does make things pretty generic.

The predators and Mortis have been enough AT so far.  I expect I'm better off now with the Predators in multiple squads of single vehicles than I was with them in a single squad, since it'll make it easier for me to do things like flank a Spartan to get around the flare shield.  Master of Signal should go with the Termies.  He doesn't really benefit them as much as he did the Volkite heavy support squad that they replaced, but I really like the concept of a commander who holds all aspects of battle in his hands.  Being a Master of Signal with all that gear kind of rounds him out into someone who can hold his own in melee, buff his troops/lead them effectively in battle, and call in fire support.

I did create a variant of this list that uses Imperial Fists rules.  Essentially dropping the Master of Signal consul-ship from the Centurion, giving him Tartaros armor instead, upgrading him and the Terminators to have Deep Strike, and putting nuncio voxii in the tactical squads.  I believe that list is mechanically better than remaining with SoH rules, but I don't want to play IF and I'm not so certain I want to play this legion with the rules of another.

Edit: On the other hand (pun intended), pictures like this kind of make me want to play IF.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/d904395df3c070f9da4146f1b91fc469/tumblr_msstasiLxp1rneqlno1_500.jpg

Just... painting all that yellow :<

Archived