Thousand Sons in a tournament environment 4-1

Ethrion

Well the weekend's over and I just thought I'd give a little mention of the local tournament I went to. I took my Thousand Sons and out of a 5 game tournament I went 4 wins 0 losses until the final battle against Tau in the relic mission where I came unstuck and lost. Unfortunately I slipped up and played it badly, but I don't think anything I could have done would have survived the ungodly amount of firepower he put out.

In the end I fell from being 4-0 on table 1 to finishing 3rd but ultimately I think that's pretty alright for Ahriman's boys!

FYI my list was simple but as it turned out surprisingly effective in:

Ahriman, 22 Cultists, 18 Rubrics, 2 Heldrakes, 3x2x2 Obliterators (T5)

I won't bore everyone with tedious text battle reports but briefly I won against Orks at the 5 objective heavy support mission, beat Ultramarines in the 2 bases mission, beat a daemon list of screamers, horrors, plague bearers and soul grinders in kill points and another daemon list of 4 tzeentch princes, kairos and horrors in the varied value fast attack objectives mission.

I came unstuck in the relic mission as I said against a Tau deathstar army of a riptide in with broadsides and drones and a commander with all sorts of upgrades. Ultimately only losing 2-1 in VPs but he got 1st blood and warlord opposed to me just getting his warlord. So he just sat back and didn't bother going for the relic because I couldnt pick it up anymore. I did get his riptide and most of his broadsides, his warlord and his other HQ so I got a bit of pride back for my Thousand Sons.

What was a little more galling was that the daemon army I smashed easily in the kill points mission leap frogged me by virtue of killpoints amassed throughout the tournament to finish second. People did say I should have placed 2nd because in a head-to head I'd actually beaten that daemon player so should have been put ahead of him but oh well, tournament organizers rules, can't argue with it and 3rd was nice and respectable.

All rubrics got fried by the tau shooting, all the cultists got killed too and Ahriman...obliterators and heldrakes carried the day getting me victory points but the game was lost regardless by that point :(

This is awesome news to hear, well done. It just goes to show that with the correct generalship even the mighty TS can win against the cheesiest of lists. What psychic discipline did you use for Ahriman?

I've personally always used telepathy for the maximum chance to get puppet master, this power can win games by itself if not denied by the enemy.

Nice one Ethrion! Grats! How many points? The tournaments I've been to with my TS I've been without drakes unfortunately, so against horde armies I always perform badly (damn you Orks!!!).

Praise be Tzeentch!

Thanks guys! (Although my poor generalship cost me bad in the end but ah well...)

Anyway, I went with 3x Biomancy + obligatory one from Tzeentch and pretty much always rolled a combination of Iron Arm, Endurance and Enfeeble. I think actually game 1 and 4 both managed to get those three exactly. I had toyed with the idea of going for one from Telepathy but in the end I wanted the security of going all out in Biomancy.

The tournament was 1750 and in the first game against orks I managed to blow up both his death roller toting vehicles carrying huge amounts of orks thus thinning them about considerably and getting them in the open for the drakes, rubrics and obliterators.

Overall Ahriman died 3 times, twice I could have done better to make sure he didn't but game two he was with his cultists up against first 5 tactical marines which they finished off but then got hit by 9 hammernators! Cultists killed 3 hammernators though so I count that as a moral win ;)

I managed to roll 2 - 3 infiltrated units each time which I used to outflank most of the time but infiltrated all 3 in one game (rubrics and 2/2 obliterators) against the flying daemon princes list so that I was in range of his only 2 troop choices of 12  horrors each to take them out to prevent him scoring at all. Heldrakes then flew on and dropped the last unit of horrors.

Final game was relic vs. Tau - my one defeat. I infiltrated two onto the relic but no, it was a horrendously bad idea. Both the cultists, Ahriman and the rubrics were smashed by the obscene amount of firepower the tau put out and I couldn't weather it even with the rubrics. What I should have done was hide my cultists and Ahriman and basically take them out of the game by keeping them at range (it was long ways deployment) and I should have hidden the rubrics and just lay in wait for any deep striking crisis suits (he had 2 units of 3) that came towards the relic. I should have denied him picking it up and thus got first blood in the process and would have won 1-0. As it was I went aggressive, he denied the objective and got the first blood. My mistake, I'm frustrated I played badly in that one game but you live and learn.

Like I said being pipped into 2nd by the daemon list I already had beaten along the way was a little more of a bitter pill to swallow. But again, nowt I can do so...

I recommend everyone to take Thousand Sons and Ahriman to tournaments - the infiltrating ability throws people off, gives huge flexibility for putting dangerous units into perfect range right away or for putting them in the backfield. Marines hate AP3 (obviously) and rubric 4+ can tank most firepower. Just BEWARE OF THE TAU BROADSIDE/RIPTIDE DEATHSTAR! No one can tank that firepower.

Well done. Well done indeed.

I'll be trying this at a tournament soon:

1996pts

Ahriman

10 Thousand Sons- Rhino

10 Thousand Sons- Rhino

Heldrake- Baleflamer

Heldrake- Baleflamer

5 Chaos Spawn- Mark of Nurgle

5 Havocs- Plasma Gun x4, Rhino w/ Combi-Melta

Herald of Tzeentch- Grimoire, Disc, Level 3

10 Horrors