[HH1.0] Iron Hands Tactics

Noctus Cornix

So, since everyone else is doing it, I thought the Iron Tenth deserved our own little tactics thread, just to see what everyone else is doing.

Honestly, I'm really liking the way our rules are turning out. Firstly, I think we should capitalize on our option of the Cyber Familiar. 15 points isn't really that much and it can significantly beef up characters where its possible. Say for example on Breacher Sergeants, give him artificer armor and he has 2+/5++ with a 4++ in close combat. Give him a lightning claw or a power fist and this bad boy can go toe to toe with a Centurion almost no problem. I would say lightning claw would be best but that's because I plan on taking lascutters for my special weapons. I mean seriously, essentially 4 powerfists in a 20 man squad is pretty devastating. The same can be done when it comes to command squads and praetors. A praetor with an Iron Halo or Cataphractii armour will have a 2+/3++ and just bog standard chosen have artificer. Drop them a combat shield and a cyber familiar and every single one of them will have 2+/5++ with a 4++ in close combat, and that's not even mentioning the fact that they can still receive the extra attack for being doubly armed. And then what if you give them cataphractii? That's a 2+/3++ on the entire squad while still giving them two free hands. Attach an apothecary to these bad boys and you've got a 5+ FNP. That's madness.

Honestly, what I love about Iron Hands is with all their rules and options, you can really turn these guys into an unstoppable force. Whether you go with an armoured spear with lots of land raiders and Spartans or you just march them in perfect order across the board, these guys can take a huge amount of fire power and just shrug it off.

Another thing we should keep in mind is Autek Mor. This guy is a freaking monster. His stats are insane (just a standard bolter would need 6s to wound him) he can be surrounded by a beefy cataphractii command squad as seen above and on top of that this guy has a Cortex Controller. You can march this unstoppable terminator squad surrounded by a deadly 5 man squad of the massive Cybernetica Constructs and you can just tear through loyalist Marines as if they were just play things. What's not to love about him?

What do you guys think?

So, since everyone else is doing it, I thought the Iron Tenth deserved our own little tactics thread, just to see what everyone else is doing.

Honestly, I'm really liking the way our rules are turning out. Firstly, I think we should capitalize on our option of the Cyber Familiar. 15 points isn't really that much and it can significantly beef up characters where its possible. Say for example on Breacher Sergeants, give him artificer armor and he has 2+/5++ with a 4++ in close combat. Give him a lightning claw or a power fist and this bad boy can go toe to toe with a Centurion almost no problem. I would say lightning claw would be best but that's because I plan on taking lascutters for my special weapons. I mean seriously, essentially 4 powerfists in a 20 man squad is pretty devastating. The same can be done when it comes to command squads and praetors. A praetor with an Iron Halo or Cataphractii armour will have a 2+/3++ and just bog standard chosen have artificer. Drop them a combat shield and a cyber familiar and every single one of them will have 2+/5++ with a 4++ in close combat, and that's not even mentioning the fact that they can still receive the extra attack for being doubly armed. And then what if you give them cataphractii? That's a 2+/3++ on the entire squad while still giving them two free hands. Attach an apothecary to these bad boys and you've got a 5+ FNP. That's madness.

Honestly, what I love about Iron Hands is with all their rules and options, you can really turn these guys into an unstoppable force. Whether you go with an armoured spear with lots of land raiders and Spartans or you just march them in perfect order across the board, these guys can take a huge amount of fire power and just shrug it off.

Another thing we should keep in mind is Autek Mor. This guy is a freaking monster. His stats are insane (just a standard bolter would need 6s to wound him) he can be surrounded by a beefy cataphractii command squad as seen above and on top of that this guy has a Cortex Controller. You can march this unstoppable terminator squad surrounded by a deadly 5 man squad of the massive Cybernetica Constructs and you can just tear through loyalist Marines as if they were just play things. What's not to love about him?

What do you guys think?

This is a great idea....

but I can hear your wallet screaming from here.

Castellax are my reason for liking the kakophoni. All I need is one or two wounds and the entire cohort can vanish.

Though this is balanced by the shear resilience of the rest of the iron hands army. -1 strength for shooting attacks, bonuses to your invulnerable saves.

You guys shouldn't be allowed apothecaries, since there isn't enough flesh for them to work on :D

Edited by spu00sed

You'd think that, but im making sure my sweet sweet 20 man Breacher squads have their 5+ FnP. Its only natural. ;)

Remind me though, how would the Kakophani do well against Castallex? I'm not at home so I can't check.

Edited by noctus cornix

Aye I'm working on a Terminator army, currently running 21 Cataphractii (inc 5 command squad & praetor), a 5 man Arti comm sqd-cum-breachers, Consul/Arti-Praetor and 2 contemptors :p also got my first 3 Thallax on sat, I want another 15 for 2 full Cohorts and then 15-20 Castellax :)

You'd think that, but im making sure my sweet sweet 20 man Breacher squads have their 5+ FnP. Its only natural. ;)

Remind me though, how would the Kakophani do well against Castallex? I'm not at home so I can't check.

If the unit gets wounded by the kakophoni it must take a leadership with a negative modifier equal to the number of wounds taken. If failed it suffers D6 AP2 instant death wounds ignoring cover. Though a unit of 10 kakophoni will on average only cause 0.75 wounds to a unit of castallex.

So whats the opinion on having Iron Hands Tactical Support Squads equipped with 9 x Graviton Guns? This is possible if you are using the Head of the Gorgon Rite of War:

War-relics: Any infantry model in the force equipped with a flamer may upgrade this to a graviton gun for +10 points

Are they worth it? A buddy of mine who runs Emperors Children/Sons of Horus armies thinks that they have serious potential :cool.:

Problem with the graviton gun equipped tact support is they now have a shortish range and no move and shoot.

For less you could take volkites.

Thanks Sanct! Theres got to be some merit to using them: STR test to wound, AP:4 Heavy1, Blast, Concussion, Graviton Pulse, Haywire?

Also, they cause difficult and dangerous terrain tests on the affected area on the subsequent turn.

9x Haywire shots has got to be pretty nasty against vehicles?

Edit: Looking at it, it seems that the idea of the Head of the Gorgon rite is that the Iron Hands player sits in their deployment zone and waits for the enemy to advance and attack. In this situation, masses of Graviton weapons (including Rapier Graviton Cannons) would be ideal. Tactical placement of the Dangerous Terrain markers would enable a canny Iron Hands player to 'channel' their opponent towards kill zones, deny assault charges and deprive them of areas of cover.

Edited by Urza

I wonder - by that wording would it enable a terminator to take a combi-grav gun? If so that could well be brutal - it's a shame this doesn't tie in so well with my own plans being TDA-Heavy with Dreadnought & Spartan support.

Theres no such thing as a combi-grav gun in the Horus Heresy - thats 40k only.

Awh fudge - that'd be so awesome haha - ohwell, guess I'll be sticking to my meltas and plasmas of old, with the occasional volkite - could give the support squad a pod and use them as a semi-suicide if your opponents going tank heavy - d'you guys think it would work?

The grav gun just isn't fun on infantry units (and that's the rub) and where there's not many places it can't be taken normally when a flamer is already available.

One idea is that a tactical support squad doesn't have to completely upgrade to the grav guns.  Maybe 6 flamers, 4 grav guns for 215pts? Seems a bit hazy on legality but the war-relics section does say 'may upgrade'.  

Makes a fair alrounder; shoot me - at -1s, assault me - through overwatch flamers, stay near me - you won't move far after, move vehicles near me - they WILL die next turn. 

Edited by Sanct

One idea is that a tactical support squad doesn't have to completely upgrade to the grav guns.  Maybe 6 flamers, 4 grav guns for 215pts? Seems a bit hazy on legality but the war-relics section does say 'may upgrade'.

The original page for the Legion Tactical Support Squad states that if their standard loadout (flamer) is upgraded, then all the flamers in the squad must be upgraded for the same weapon.

Also, whilst not wishing to come across as being pedantic and not aiming this at anyone in specific - we are discussing Horus Heresy tactics for the Iron Hands. There is no such thing as a 'Grav Gun' in the Horus Heresy, it is a 41st Millenium Weapon. The Horus Heresy weapon is a Graviton Gun, and it has a completely different set of rules.

Edited by Urza

I know - I was merely shortening it as I'm on my phone so Grav is far quicker than Graviton to type, anyway.

I may pack a single support squad with them, to take out tanks and scare off deepstriking or jumping troops - any others would be running something else.

I may pack a single support squad with them, to take out tanks and scare off deepstriking or jumping troops - any others would be running something else.

Agreed - I think one or two Support Squads armed with Graviton Guns would be especially effective in a dense-terrain board such as a ruined City. You could effectively block off entire roads, forcing the enemy to head down alternative routes where you have LOS from Laser Destroyers, Conversion Beamers etc.

But rad and phosphex weaponry do the same thing but so much better....

Honestly I can't bring myself to use any graviton weaponry. I'll constantly start getting flashbacks of Half-Life 2 and imaging Space Marines running around with stuff like that is just..... no.