[HH1.0] Iron Hands Tactics

Noctus Cornix

I like them as my guys will be relatively slow and relying on weathering enemy fire before pounding them at close range - I want 2 squads of jump destroyers and I'll deffo have some castellax and thallax guys but my main hit is still going to be cataphractii terminators, gorgons or immortals backed up by contemptors :)

What do you guys think of Gorgons? They are pretty good what with the FNP and Blind, but.....I can't help but feel disappointed when the Red Butchers/Firedrakes get WS5 and 2 Wounds, given the famed resilience of the Iron Hands. Hopefully,(should they release new units in Extermination) the Iron Hands will get some Morlocks - hopefully T5, W2, WS5 bionic Terminators.

Excluding my bitterness, how do you expect to use them? Are they worth it over normal/Chosen Terminators?

One question...is there a colour scheme for the pre-Ferrus Iron Hands...the Storm thingmabobs?

Edited by Sevatar

I don't think there is and I'm admittedly with you - I feel that as the WBs got Gal Vorbak, Sallies got Firedrakes and WEs got Red Butchers we should've got either these guys or the Immortals to match - especially with our resilience above all except the DG being prominent - so 2W and perhaps T5/WS5 that way they're equals not lesser but ohwell.

I'll be using them as my forefront terminators (unless we do get Morlocks) although I think it was mentioned somewhere that all Gorgons are Morlocks but not all Morlocks are Gorgons (I kinda hope it's the other way around tbh) but we shall see... These guys will be shielding (and hopefully blinding) anyone trying to get to my Praetor or Iron Father and generally working BG duties.

The Gorgons do get FNP5+, which is nice. However it's a bit annoying that the Blind effects of their power fields affect both friend and foe..

It would seem that the best way to deploy them would be via teleport, deep behind enemy lines, in order to minimise harm to your own units.

Well that's something - still wish they had 2W but ohwell - by the sounds of it they can handle themselves okay but will be torn apart by Firedrakes or Red Butchers...

Yep. Still, I dream for T5, W2, WS5, 2+/4++ Morlock/Gorgons. I would love a Terminator/Centurion hybrid......

Anyhow, what is the point of the Immortals? For 2 points more you are getting negligible 6+ FNP, and Gun Them Down (which seems pretty bad - why couldn't it be at full BS!) Barring the awesome models, Breaching Squads simply seem so much better, especially in 20 man squads, since with the points difference you can basically buy an Apothecary.

Edited by Sevatar

It does seem somewhat pointless - I'll be picking up 20-40 to use as regular breachers or swap out as Immortals otherwise not.

What do you guys think of a PoTL force 4x10 Cataphractii, 2x20 Breachers, 2x3 Contemptors led by a Autek Mor and another Iron Father in Cataphractii.

I've been asking the same thing. I haven't figured out why I would take them over regular ones except for fluffy purposes.

It's nice that they can all take Volkite Chargers, albeit for a fee, but their rules don't seem to cut the mustard.

RE: the above list: That looks intimidating. How many points though? You'd need some damn good weapons on those Contemptors as they'll be doing the bulk of your anti-tank shooting. A few Graviton Guns in the Breachers might be worth it if they'll be staying still (Haywire).

Edited by Emperors Teeth

Well to be fair they are still just a suicide unit and their price isn't THAT much cheaper. Rule of cool is the name of the game on this one for me. I'll be taking a full 20 man squad of these bad boys to lead the front. (sooner or later)

The contemptors (I have 2 already) will be 2 dual lascannons, 1 dual multi-melta, 1 graviton + plasma blaster, 1 kheres + plasma blaster and 1 dual plasma blasters haha - the intention being for 3 draw fire and three take out heavy tanks.

Not sure on the points as yet as aside from the Praetor in Cata and 2 contemptors I've only got 20 Cata termies atm - I'll sort a list and post it up for ideas :) though it'll be Betrayal pts as I've lent my mate Massacre :(

I wouldn't say the Iron Hand rite actually encourages you to play static in your deployment zone, but merely prevents your force from running off the board while waiting for the outflanking reserves .

Hi guys
lots of interesting topics being covered…
I'd like to pick your brains for input into an armored list I'm building - it lands at roughly 2000 points. 

HQ: Praetor, cataphractii, cyber familiar, paragorn, combi bolter, trait : PotL

Troops: 7 Cataphractii, 1 plasma blaster + CF, 2 x combiplas + PF, 1 twin LC, 1 power sword, 1 power axe
Troops: 7 Cataphractii, 1 plasma blaster + CF, 2 x combiplas + PF, 1 twin LC, 1 power sword, 1 power axe

Troops: 5 Cataphractii, 1 reaper autocannon + chainfist, 2 axes, 2 swords

Heavy: Sicaran, Heavy bolter sponsons (armoured ceramite? havent bought the book yet)

Heavy: Land raider proteus, armoured ceramite

Heavy: Spartan, flare shield, armoured ceramite

Small and compact army that has great mobility and packs a monstrous punch. Initially i had 4 squads of 5 terminators, but i decided to beef up 2 squads and exchange an LR phobos for another spartan(they are monsters!)..
What do you guys think of this list? Mainly intended to fight other Heresy armies...

I was having a look through the rules in massacre and was wondering how worthwhile it would be to have a unit of Castellax with a praetor attached.  I was planning on running a foot slogging list, using the Castellax to help shield the praetor before getting into combat.

Hi guys

lots of interesting topics being covered…

I'd like to pick your brains for input into an armored list I'm building - it lands at roughly 2000 points.

HQ: Praetor, cataphractii, cyber familiar, paragorn, combi bolter, trait : PotL

Troops: 5 Cataphractii, 1 reaper autocannon + chainfist, 2 axes, 2 swords

Heavy: Sicaran, Heavy bolter sponsons (armoured ceramite? havent bought the book yet)

Heavy: Land raider proteus, armoured ceramite

Small and compact army that has great mobility and packs a monstrous punch. Initially i had 4 squads of 5 terminators, but i decided to beef up 2 squads and exchange an LR phobos for another spartan(they are monsters!)..

What do you guys think of this list? Mainly intended to fight other Heresy armies...

I take it you are using the Spartans as transport options for the Cataphractii, rather than as heavy support choices, since you have too many.

I make your list 2049, so either 49 points over or possible 201pts under.

If you are going for a 2250 list then I would suggest frag assault launchers on each if your land raiders, and the rest turning the proteus into a spartan and upping the number of models in your third unit, or possible find a way to include a second sicaran.

Either way it is a nice looking combat assault force.

EDIT: I would also swap the reaper for a third plasma blaster. They are much more in your face weapons, and you already have the sicaran and 6 quad las cannons to deal with armour.

Edited by spu00sed

Thanks for the input spu00sed..

You're naturally correct in that the spartans are transports for the two large cata-squads. Thanks for the points in put - i guess i have to toss some stuff overboard, as the list is designed for 2000.
I took the autocannon because i had run out of plasma blasters and the squad is going in the proteus which lacks the assault ramp. The idea for this squad is to go with the sicaran and provide a stabile firebase for the two large assault squads and then zoom in and grab objectives at the end of the game. I felt that an autocannon was better suited for this task.

Thanks for the 2250 input - my idea was to go for 2500 instead and toss in a Typhon to deal with mass infantry armies

• 3 weeks later...

Breacher Sergeants, give him artificer armor and he has 2+/5++ with a 4++ in close combat. Give him a lightning claw or a power fist and this bad boy can go toe to toe with a Centurion almost no problem. I would say lightning claw would be best but that's because I plan on taking lascutters for my special weapons. I mean seriously, essentially 4 powerfists in a 20 man squad is pretty devastating.

Quick question: Whats the attraction with Lascutters? They look pretty useless to me on paper, as they only attack at WS1.

Am I missing something? :huh.:

I guess if you have a 20-Man Breacher Squad you could take 4 Lascutters, which greatly increases the chances of hitting something, but they still seem pretty rubbish compared against the likes of Graviton Guns, Meltaguns or Volkite Chargers.

Edited by Urza

Immortals are sadly a waste.

Gorgons on the other hand I'm a fan of. The key is to remember that they aren't an especially elite unit, they're simply normal terminators with different gear. Don't compare them to Firedrakes and so on. From that perspective, they're terminators with enhanced resilience (FNP) and a neat Blind effect that hurts the enemy more than you. They also have slightly different equipment options that seem roughly equal to standard Terminators. Finally they are 5 points more per model and have -1 initiative, which is hardly noticeable as they all carry unwieldy weapons anyway.

With the Iron Hands Legion benefit and the 5+ FNP, shooting is a minimized problem. Once you're face to face the enemy will be faced with the Blind effect, which can be enhanced by shining a small pen light into your opponents face over and over like a deranged disco ball. I wouldn't say Gorgons are distinctly better than other Termies, but they're fluffier so in my book they're a win.

I'm sure we'll get Morlocks in the next book.

Edited by Icarus1138

• 1 month later...
If the Gorgons have a 3++ that's really good in my opinion coupled with FNP... The combination makes them quite resilient. They are much more tactical than the Red Butchers which is what you want for Iron Hands. I run a fairly big squad of Justrearin with a Primus Medicae for my SoH army... A lot of points for 1W terminators but they have been clutch time and time again. 4++ is so much better than 5++. 3++ with 5++ will be really good.

Also, remember that cyber familiars can be taken by all characters, so a cataphractii command squad can get a 3+ invul. Throw in an apothecary and now you have some very elite terminators.