[HH1.0] Iron Hands Tactics

Noctus Cornix

Hey guys, I was thinking of running an ununsual Iron Hands list, using the Sky Hunter Phalanx RoW. On paper, Iron Hand jetbikes seem pretty good with a 2+ and inviolate armor, but I'm wondering if anyone has any actual experience running them. After some playing around, I came up with this list at 2,500 points.

Autek Mor

Primus Medicae - cataphractii, combi-weapon, chainfist

Command squad - 3x legionaries, cataphractii, 3x combi-weapons, 2x powerfists, chainfist

Terminator squad - 5x legionaries, cataphractii, 5x combi-weapons, 4x powerfists, chainfist

Sky Hunter squadron - 6x legionaries, 2x volkite culverins

Sky Hunter squadron - 6x legionaries, 2x volkite culverins

Dreadclaw

Dreadclaw

2x Javelins - each with multi-melta, missile launchers and 2x hunter-killer missiles

Fire Raptor - reaper autocannons, hellstrike missiles, blessed autosimulacra

Sky Slayer Squadron - 5x legionaries, 5x multi-meltas

Sky Slayer Squadron - 5x legionaries, 5x plasma cannons

Thoughts? Comments? Any help would be appreciated! 

INFANTRY Autek Mor

INFANTRY Primus Medicae - cataphractii, combi-weapon, chainfist

INFANTRY Command squad - 3x legionaries, cataphractii, 3x combi-weapons, 2x powerfists, chainfist

INFANTRY Terminator squad - 5x legionaries, cataphractii, 5x combi-weapons, 4x powerfists, chainfist

BIKE Sky Hunter squadron - 6x legionaries, 2x volkite culverins

BIKE Sky Hunter squadron - 6x legionaries, 2x volkite culverins

Dreadclaw

Dreadclaw

2x Javelins - each with multi-melta, missile launchers and 2x hunter-killer missiles

Fire Raptor - reaper autocannons, hellstrike missiles, blessed autosimulacra

BIKE Sky Slayer Squadron - 5x legionaries, 5x multi-meltas

BIKE Sky Slayer Squadron - 5x legionaries, 5x plasma cannons

Thoughts? Comments? Any help would be appreciated!

The list is legal. There are not a greater number of units of bike/jetbike/jump than there are of infantry, including Independent Characters.

Hey guys, very knew to 30K but have been playing 40K Sons of Medusa for years. Recently (Adepticon) I bought into 30K Iron Hands and picked up the books and some models I knew that I loved. Been reading the forum here for a bit and gathered a couple things, but I do have some questions.

What is the Rite of War typical for us? I enjoy the idea of running multiple Land Raiders 

I picked up probably more Immortals than I should have, but I love how they look. What is the best way to equip them? I picked up Volkite Chargers for them.

Any other boots on the ground (other than the Gorgons and basic Tacs) are good for us? 

Best HQ other than Autek Mor, he is a beast. Kitted out Praetor? 

Here is a list of what I currently own:

Leviathan Dreadnought - Claw and Storm Cannon (that was all they had left)

10x Immortals

5x Iron Hands Legion MKIII Squad

Dereado Dreadnought - Base Arms

Contemptor Dreadnought - CC Arms with Plasma/Grav

Special Event Praetor in Cataphractii Terminator Armor - Combi Volkite and Hammer

(I have plenty of MKIII Tacs from Prospero so I am not concerned about getting bodies for that)

Thanks! 

Hey guys, very knew to 30K but have been playing 40K Sons of Medusa for years. Recently (Adepticon) I bought into 30K Iron Hands and picked up the books and some models I knew that I loved. Been reading the forum here for a bit and gathered a couple things, but I do have some questions.

What is the Rite of War typical for us? I enjoy the idea of running multiple Land Raiders 

I picked up probably more Immortals than I should have, but I love how they look. What is the best way to equip them? I picked up Volkite Chargers for them.

Any other boots on the ground (other than the Gorgons and basic Tacs) are good for us? 

Best HQ other than Autek Mor, he is a beast. Kitted out Praetor? 

Here is a list of what I currently own:

Leviathan Dreadnought - Claw and Storm Cannon (that was all they had left)

10x Immortals

5x Iron Hands Legion MKIII Squad

Dereado Dreadnought - Base Arms

Contemptor Dreadnought - CC Arms with Plasma/Grav

Special Event Praetor in Cataphractii Terminator Armor - Combi Volkite and Hammer

(I have plenty of MKIII Tacs from Prospero so I am not concerned about getting bodies for that)

Thanks! 

The Rite of War that is both fluffy and powerful for us is The Head of the Gorgon. It especially matches your idea to run lots of Land Raiders! It allows any unit that has a Rhino as a dedicated transport to instead take a Land Raider Proteus. It also lets any of our vehicles take Blessed Autosimulacra for free (it's like a pseudo It Will Not Die) and yes, that includes Dreadnoughts! Furthermore, it lets you take Mechanicum Battle-automata Maniples as elites choices in your army, your infantry in your own deployment zone gain Stubborn, and vehicles with the Tank type that are placed in reserve get the Outflank special rule. So having land raiders with 3 TL lascannons that outflank is a pretty good strategy. Sure, they may not be Assault Transports, but you are going to be shooting them down more often than running into combat anyway.

The downsides are that you can only take one Consul type other than a Forge Lord, you can take no allies, and you only get one Fast Attack slot. Most of those are not typically a big issue for us Iron Hands players, though! 

You picked up the perfect amount of Immortals, as you need 10 to field a squad. Not quite sure why they only sell them in packs of 5 since you can't run them that way. I find they work best when equipped with full Volkite Chargers. They are not relentless, so Graviton Guns look cool but being a Heavy weapon are not the most effective unless you plan to keep them in one spot. In 30k, only Troops or units with a special rule are scoring, and the Medusan Immortals are neither, sadly. Some people prefer to run them as standard Breachers instead so they can score, and just use the models for Immortals because they look cool.

I prefer to run an Iron Father Praetor, as it is fluffy for my mechanized force, but there is no single "best" HQ out there. We have a lot of tools in the box. If you are taking a tank-heavy list, Orth is a great HQ to stick in a tank. Delagatus are great for low-points games where you need access to a RoW, Praetors are the standard way to get it. The Praetor you snagged for the event will work great, as Cataphractii looks especially good in Iron Hands colors ;)  If you want to convert him into an Iron Father, all you need to do is stick a servo arm on the back somewhere and it usually does the trick!

13938000_1255638484446354_87309303497750

The Rite of War that is both fluffy and powerful for us is The Head of the Gorgon. It especially matches your idea to run lots of Land Raiders! It allows any unit that has a Rhino as a dedicated transport to instead take a Land Raider Proteus.

The rite let's you take Phobos' too, not just Proteus'.

Unless that was just recently changed??

Edited by ShadowCore67

The Rite of War that is both fluffy and powerful for us is The Head of the Gorgon. It especially matches your idea to run lots of Land Raiders! It allows any unit that has a Rhino as a dedicated transport to instead take a Land Raider Proteus.

The rite let's you take Phobos' too, not just Proteus'.

Unless that was just recently changed??

You are correct, Proteus and Phobos are legal DT's for infantry units with 10 or less models in the unit if they already had access to a Rhino as DT.

Hey guys,

My FLGS is going to be gearing up for a summer Heresy campaign and I just wanted to send my list out into the eternal ether that is the internet for a little feedback.
The list is based on stuff I've got, and while I do have other models, I thought the Armoured Breakthrough Right of War would be fun to try.

The list is 3k and we wont be playing with any LoW.

HQ
Master of Armour: Legion Sicaran Battle Tank, Dozer Blade, Lascannon Sponsons

Troops
Legion Pred, Heavy Bolter Sponsons

Support Squad, x5 Plasma Guns

Elites

Contemptor-Mortis Dread, x2 Kheres

Legion Vets, Marksmen, x3 Combi-Plas, x2 Missile Launchers w/ Suspensor Web
Rhino

10 Cataphractii, x2 Chainfist, x2 double Lightning Claws, x5 Fists, Sergeant with Hammer, Cyber Familiar, Grenade Harness
Dedicated Spartan, Flare Shield, Dozer Blade, Ceramite

5 Gorgons, Chainfist, Graviton Gun

Heavy Support
Caestus Assault Ram

Deredeo Dread, Autocannons, Aiolos Launcher

Proteus, Exploratory Augory Web, Ceramite, Dozer Blade, Hull Lascannon

So Gorgons in the Caestus and Support Squad scouting in the Proteus

Thoughts?

Currently the list is illegal for an Armoured Breakthough list. Infantry units in an Armoured Breakthrough list MUST purchase a Dedicated Transport if they have the option, which they do. They don't have to ride in it, but they do have to by one, sorry. Same Applies to the Gorgons. They have a Dedicated Transport option, so must buy one.

Quoted for reference:

Limitations

* All Infantry units that can do so must purchase a Dedicated Transport, and those without the option must be deployed mounted in...

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike the list, though wary of the small unit sizes of the power armoured squads.

Edited by Emperors Teeth

Currently the list is illegal for an Armoured Breakthough list. Infantry units in an Armoured Breakthrough list MUST purchase a Dedicated Transport if they have the option, which they do. They don't have to ride in it, but they do have to by one, sorry. Same Applies to the Gorgons. They have a Dedicated Transport option, so must buy one.

Quoted for reference:

Limitations

* All Infantry units that can do so must purchase a Dedicated Transport, and those without the option must be deployed mounted in...

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike the list, though wary of the small unit sizes of the power armoured squads.

Oops Vets are a full 10 man, but you're right I didn't realize they HAD to purchase dedicated transports, I just thought they all had to be IN transports...crap, back to the drawing board I guess

I don't see anything in the rule stating that it counts as a master of the legion, only that it gains the Command Tank upgrade and +1 BS if it's the warlord.

By my understanding of it, a Master of Armor can't be taken if you take a Delegatus either, because if the Sicaran wants to be in the HQ slot, it has to be the warlord.

Edited by raeho

I would advocate for a Praetor to avoid giving away slay the warlord too easily. The sicaran is an annoying tank, give extra VPs for killing it on top of that and it will go up in flames far too quickly.

You are suprisingly light on ranged anti tank, I would advise lascannons on the troop preds.

@ raeho I'm literally sat with the red book in front of me, the exact line is: a single sicaran battle tank or predator of any type available in the legiones a started age of darkness army list may be taken as a company command vehicle, counting as a HQ choice and for the purposes of selecting this Rite of War only, counts as having master of the legion rule allowing this rite to be taken.

Page 100 in the red book, is pretty clear.

And I agree with wolfpack depending on your local scene, if you're confident you can keep the tank alive by all means run it solo, however you do have more chance keeping a praetor buried in a unit and alive. Pays your money, makes your choice.

I don't see anything in the rule stating that it counts as a master of the legion, only that it gains the Command Tank upgrade and +1 BS if it's the warlord.

By my understanding of it, a Master of Armor can't be taken if you take a Delegatus either, because if the Sicaran wants to be in the HQ slot, it has to be the warlord.

page 100:

Master of Armour: A single Sicaran Battle Tank or a Predator of any type available in the Legiones
Astartes Age of Darkness Army list may be taken as a Company Command vehicle, counting as
a HQ choice and for the purposes of selecting this Rite of War only, counts as having the Master
of the Legion rule allowing this rite to be taken. The may also be the army’s Warlord. If this is the
case instead of rolling for a Warlord Trait, this vehicle has the Super-heavy Command Tank vehicle
upgrade (regardless of its type) and has +1 BS at no additional cost.