[HH1.0] Iron Hands Tactics

Noctus Cornix

Im currently running iron hands at 3k but REALLY struggling. I run an almost pure vehicle based army, he runs mechanicum with an ordinatus saggitar with calleb decima. 

For anyone wondering what this means:

10" Strength D ap1 that re rolls 1s on the D chart.

Calleb gives it +1 on the pen chart that DOES accumulate with ap bonuses meaning +3 to damage charts. Meaning no matter what, ive lost a gun right off the bat when it shoots. :/

Here's the edited list. I agree with people about the Warlord being easy to get from alpha striking the Sicaran, added a buffed up Praetor and Orth to ride in the no-longer-warlord Sicaran.
So the Gorgons Proteus will just cruise around being annoying with 3 twin linked las shots while the they most likely fly in on the Caestus. (since they can't charge out of the Proteus)

Where should I put the Praetor? Is making the Cataphractii in the Spartan MORE killy worth it? lol

Also added the volkite dread becuase it's super awesome, switching to double Kheres is the same points while a little more generic...

HQ

Praetor, Artificer, Cyber Familiar, Iron Halo, Paragon Blade, Digital Weapons

Master of Armour: Legion Sicaran Battle Tank, Dozer Blade, Lascannon Sponsons

Castrmen Orth

Troops
Legion Pred, Heavy Bolter Sponsons

Elites

Contemptor Dread, x2 Twin Linked Volkite Culverin

10 Legion Vets, Marksmen, x3 Combi-Plas, Rhino

10 Cataphractii, x2 Chainfist, x2 double Lightning Claws, x5 Fists, Sergeant with Hammer, Cyber Familiar
Dedicated Spartan, Flare Shield, Ceramite, Dozer

5 Gorgons, Chainfist, Graviton Gun

Land Raider Proteus, Hull Lascannon, Ceramite, Dozer

Heavy Support
Caestus Assault Ram

Deredeo, Autocannon Battery, Aiolos Missile Launcher

Edited by TheDecay

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

Thinking of investing in a sicaran for my iron hands. Can't decide between the standard battle tank and the new arcus assault tank. My list lacks anti air so the arcus seems like a reasonable choice. My HQ includes Orth, but adding Orth to an AV13 tank costing over 250 points with relevant upgrades seems like a heavy points investment. With HoG you could keep it in reserve to mitigate alpha strikes and outflank it, but on the first turn it arrives you will halve its potential damage output.

So, would Orth be better in a Standard sicaran or the arcus?

Your thoughts please ladies and gentlemen

Cadmus

In my personal experience Orth shines best in the Sicaran Venator. 2 BS5 str10 ap1 ordnance shots with tank hunter. Youre basically guaranteed to pen whatever you shoot unless you're really unlucky.

But to answer your question directly, I'd put him in the Arcus and deploy it normally.

How well does an all dread list work?  I am thinking of running 3 levs as part of it. 1 with both cc and the other 2 with all grav.

Using the Fury of the Ancients RoW, or just cramming a bunch of Dreadnoughts in a list? The RoW isn't reat as every single Dreadnought destroyed give up a VP, and with nothing else to shoot at, a bunch will end up dead. You do have scoring dreads and a general immunity to small arms, which counts for something. You can't go too far wrong with Leviathans in it, as they're tougher to put down than other Dreadnoughts.

No actually, I don't much care about the 8th edition or 40k. I understand why people like it but to me the game is over simplified and the miniatures are cartoony. Forgeworld's take on the Horus Heresy is the only reason I'm in the hobby at all, without it I don't know if I would find warhammer all that compelling. My heart is in the Heresy!

That's definitely true, there is a palpable exodus of 30k players. The Horus Heresy started as a boutique of hardcore fans and I suppose it's returning to that for the most part. I can see how many players would find that disheartening. For me, it's the only thing that matters in warhammer so I haven't lost enthusiasm at all.

On a tactics note, I'm thinking about getting a squadron of Malcador annihilators. Love the models and they are hard as nails, perfect for the Xth. Anyone have experience using Malcadors?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys!

I am new to HH. Can you tell me how vindicators are doing in IH lists? Both normal and laser destroyers. Can I put two different vindicators in one squadron? Is it gonna work?  Or is it better to keep them separately in two different slots?:)

Yes, you can mix up a unit of Vindicators between laser destroyers and Demolisher cannons. Would you want to? Probably not. The laser destroyer wants to stand still to get it's Overcharge shots, while the Demolisher wants to move forward to put its Large Blast in range (this means taking Machine Spirit as an upgrade, allowing it to move and shoot).

Iron Hands have a brilliant Rite of War called "Head of the Gorgon", which gives all Tanks Outflank and (effectively) 6+ FNP. Imagine outflanking a Demolisher cannon?! :) It also allows for Battle-automata as Elites choices, and everything is Stubborn in your DZ. Very few meaningful restrictions too.

They have another Rite of War called "Company of Bitter Iron". Very underrated. It allows Medusan Immortals as Troops & makes them Stubborn in the enemy DZ, and all LA:IH units gain Hatred (Traitors). However, you can't take Ferrus Manus or Allies. Army-wide Hatred is pretty damn amazing! Not that helps Vindicators at all... :P

• 2 months later...

Good evening guys!

First post here in the IH thread and I see there hasn't been a ton of activity lately. I just made my first FW order ever and went pretty hard with IH. Got a bit of everything, honestly wish I had gotten a few more special weapons but otherwise think I will have enough to be building in painting for a few months lol.. My question is currently, and forgive me if I have this wrong but don't have my books yet they are INC, what fast attack do you guys normally take if any when you only have the option of 1 when taking the ROW I think is the Gorgon one? The one that grants tanks outflank.. which seems like the first one I would like to try to build around.

Well hopefully we can get this tread rolling again with some tips, tricks or just list that people are currently running.

THE FLESH IS WEAK!

A big question and it depends a lot on the rest of your army... BUT some stand out choices:

Primaris Lightning

• Will (most likely) blow up what you point it at
  • Great counter to enemy armour
  • Nice opportunity to to add some cybernetics to a cool model

Attack Bikes/ Jetbikes

• T5 + Inviolate Armour = no instant death from shooting!
  • Relentless Heavy Weapons
  • Personally feel Attack Bikes are better for the 2W

Tarantula Sentry Gun Battery

• Cheap Anti-Air encampment or other heavy weapons

Xiphon-pattern Interceptor

• Very cool model and a great image of a Red Talon one in the books
  • Kills other flyers dead, not too bad against medium ground vehicles either

Good evening guys!

First post here in the IH thread and I see there hasn't been a ton of activity lately. I just made my first FW order ever and went pretty hard with IH. Got a bit of everything, honestly wish I had gotten a few more special weapons but otherwise think I will have enough to be building in painting for a few months lol.. My question is currently, and forgive me if I have this wrong but don't have my books yet they are INC, what fast attack do you guys normally take if any when you only have the option of 1 when taking the ROW I think is the Gorgon one? The one that grants tanks outflank.. which seems like the first one I would like to try to build around.

Well hopefully we can get this tread rolling again with some tips, tricks or just list that people are currently running.

THE FLESH IS WEAK!

Welcome aboard brother! A true Iron Hand has zero fast attack options, but if I had to choose I would go with the Xiphon as it is definitely the coolest looking option in my eyes at least. What are you planning for in the rest of your list?

Also I have a couple of questions to whoever has wisdom on the matter

-Should I get a second spartan (my other one has Autek Mor and ten Gorgons)? If so, should I fill it with 20 Immortals and a Forgelord or have them footslog and fill it with 10 terminators? Does anyone have experience with a party bus full of Immortals?

-How many Malcadors is too many Malcadors? I'm seriously debating 1, 2, or 3 but I don't know if they are over costed for what they do (The rest of my list is just ridiculous anyway, I don't even know why I'm worried about making things point efficient now). 

Additionally, I just discovered something wonderful. If you couple Mor with a character or squad with rad grenades, he instant deaths any T4 model at initiative. I'm pretty jazzed about that currently