[HH1.0] Iron Hands Tactics

Noctus Cornix

Do rad grenades work with the Immortals "Gun Them Down" rule? That would be a laugh :biggrin.: Personally I would go with the Immortal part bus as it complies with the rule of cool. 

Rad Grenades: These are special grenades that count neither as assault or defensive grenades, but have their own unique effect. During a turn in which a unit equipped with rad grenades launches an assault, or is themselves assaulted, the enemy unit(s) suffer a -1 penalty to their Toughness until the end of the Assault phase. Note: this does affect the victims’ instant death thresholds.

Is falling back still the "assault phase"? 

I'm guess.. Yes!

-How many Malcadors is too many Malcadors? I'm seriously debating 1, 2, or 3 but I don't know if they are over costed for what they do (The rest of my list is just ridiculous anyway, I don't even know why I'm worried about making things point efficient now).

The Malcador is a superheavy Leman Russ battle tank, which can move comparatively fast while still shooting.

Make what you want out of that. ;)

Reguarding the other thing.

Buy a Bunker with an Escape Hatched, but 9 Terminators with lots of gimmiks in that joined by a charakter of your choise and a voilá:

First turn 18" movement and partytime.

Cost about 30€ for the Bunker or in game 80 points. Compare that to a Spartan. :D

Sorry Breakthrough, I don't believe I've seen anything like that

Do rad grenades work with the Immortals "Gun Them Down" rule? That would be a laugh :biggrin.: Personally I would go with the Immortal part bus as it complies with the rule of cool. 

Rad Grenades: These are special grenades that count neither as assault or defensive grenades, but have their own unique effect. During a turn in which a unit equipped with rad grenades launches an assault, or is themselves assaulted, the enemy unit(s) suffer a -1 penalty to their Toughness until the end of the Assault phase. Note: this does affect the victims’ instant death thresholds.

Is falling back still the "assault phase"? 

I'm guess.. Yes!

-How many Malcadors is too many Malcadors? I'm seriously debating 1, 2, or 3 but I don't know if they are over costed for what they do (The rest of my list is just ridiculous anyway, I don't even know why I'm worried about making things point efficient now).

The Malcador is a superheavy Leman Russ battle tank, which can move comparatively fast while still shooting.
Make what you want out of that. :wink:

Reguarding the other thing.
Buy a Bunker with an Escape Hatched, but 9 Terminators with lots of gimmiks in that joined by a charakter of your choise and a voilá:
First turn 18" movement and partytime.
Cost about 30€ for the Bunker or in game 80 points. Compare that to a Spartan. :biggrin.:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I'm thinking of converting the Astraeus into a true scale Caestus assault ram now. Does anyone have experience using the Caestus?

*snip*

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I'm thinking of converting the Astraeus into a true scale Caestus assault ram now. Does anyone have experience using the Caestus?

A little, it's very fast and a great way to get a nice chunk of Terminators around the board.

Only issue is you're looking at a T3 charge at the earliest, so it's more of a strong second wave.

Greetings fellow Iron Brothers!

After a long pause I would like to take up the bolter again, and bring my Iron Hands project to a finish. I would like to order some things from FW for Christmas (mainly Deimos Rhinos and maybe a Spartan). I have 40 Tactical Marines already, which will make fine troops but I also have 15 Immortals.

My question is: how would you kit them out? I put bolters on them, to use the unit as Breachers, but I'm not sure anymore. As I will rebase and repaint most of the army there is the perfect chance to make something different with them.

My goal is 2500 points with the army (3000 if I get Ferrus), mostly for narrative games.

If you have 15 Immortals models, you could field them as they are, or just as Breachers (provided you either keep them with bolters or magnetise them).

Despite their cost, I have heard promising things about Immortals in “Company of Bitter Iron”. They’re Troops, they have Hatred (Traitors) and even get Stubborn in the enemy DZ. They can also take a Spartan as a Dedicated Transport! Of course you won’t be able to field Ferrus with that RoW, but it gives you more options at least.

I use Breachers with my Alpha Legion a bit, and they’re definitely an interesting unit. They can be a liability at times (especially where their points are concerned) but with some finesse and some buffs, they’re pretty good. eg. I often take Counter-attack as my Mutable Tactic, so when enemies charge them they lose an attack and I gain one.

If you have 15 Immortals models, you could field them as they are, or just as Breachers (provided you either keep them with bolters or magnetise them).

Despite their cost, I have heard promising things about Immortals in “Company of Bitter Iron”. They’re Troops, they have Hatred (Traitors) and even get Stubborn in the enemy DZ. They can also take a Spartan as a Dedicated Transport! Of course you won’t be able to field Ferrus with that RoW, but it gives you more options at least.

I use Breachers with my Alpha Legion a bit, and they’re definitely an interesting unit. They can be a liability at times (especially where their points are concerned) but with some finesse and some buffs, they’re pretty good. eg. I often take Counter-attack as my Mutable Tactic, so when enemies charge them they lose an attack and I gain one.

Thank you for your response.

I looked into the new RoW-s, and Ferrus would be the ultimate LoW choice, so the Immortals would be might worth the try. As i wrote I have 40 Tacs already (2 20-man blobs, or one 20-blob and two Rhino riding squads) and I will maybe give a try to a Volkite armed Support Squad too.

I’ve fielded immortals (all with volkite chargers) in a Ferrus list recently and they didn’t do a great deal unfortunately, they are a little overcosted for what they do. When run with Ferrus their 5+ FNP seems a little wasted as Ferrus hands out 6+ FNP for everyone.

However, I have had more success using them with Autek Morr in a spartan assault tank. Morr essentially makes up for all their deficiencies and compliments the unit when he joins them. FNP 5+ becomes more valuable, when Morr joins them he makes the unit fearless, gives them preferred enemy and helps support them in close combat (he’s an absolute beast - check out the recent mathammer thread). Also, Morr cannot make sweeping advances thanks to his cataphractii plate, here the “gun them down” rule seems to have some use. He is even equipped with a charger so there’s no duality in the units role.

It’s almost like they were made to work together...... ;)

Cadmus

Edited by Cadmus Tyro

Thank you for your response.

I looked into the new RoW-s, and Ferrus would be the ultimate LoW choice, so the Immortals would be might worth the try. As i wrote I have 40 Tacs already (2 20-man blobs, or one 20-blob and two Rhino riding squads) and I will maybe give a try to a Volkite armed Support Squad too.

Unfortunately you cannot use Ferrus Manus in the Company of Bitter Iron RoW. The fluff and the rules explain that the formation of the RoW was developed specifically after Ferrus died. 

As far as Immortals go, as others have said they're overcosted. They're essentially an upgrade to Breachers who are also a bit overcosted and have a narrow band of application, especially when compared to Vets (either in the Elites or Troops slots dependent on RoW) who can do everything. Immortals would work well in Zone Mortalis games but again, you'd pay a premium for them over Breachers. 

That said, the models are awesome. Get some and paint them up. You can use them as Breachers if you find they don't fulfill your requirements as efficiently as desired.

• 1 month later...

The Malcador is now a Heavy Support choice for the Legiones Astartes. Comes in a Squadron of 1-3.

The Macharius variants (Battle Tank, Vanquisher, Vulcan, Omega) are all available in a War Machine Detachment for every Horus Heresy army, ie. 1-2 Super-heavy vehicles of 8HP or less. Space Marines can upgrade them to BS4.

The Omega is really good, but it isn't in production at FW anymore. It has a slightly toned-down version of the Stormblade's plasma blastgun with 2 fire modes:

- 60", S7, AP2, Primary Weapon 3, Large Blast (5")

- 72", S9, AP2, Primary Weapon 1, Massive Blast (7"), Meltdown (roll a 2+ each turn to fire as normal. On a 1, it doesn't fire and you suffer D3 Glancing Hits on a further roll of a 1, 2 or 3).

The Vulcan will be easier to get. If it stands still, it shoots 30 60" shots at S6 AP3.

If it's in a Legion list, it should probably have Legion colours. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, Iron Hands people :-) I'm building an IH army for my son and just wanted to clarify. With Head of the Gorgon ROW, Iron Scions, what units exactly can he take from the Legio Cybernetica? From the list I'd interpret it that Castellax are the only unit, they're the only "battle automata" in that list, but I may be wrong. Help please :-)

(Yes, I know this should probably be in the rules forum but I figured you guys would be more onto it)

I’ve fielded immortals (all with volkite chargers) in a Ferrus list recently and they didn’t do a great deal unfortunately, they are a little overcosted for what they do. When run with Ferrus their 5+ FNP seems a little wasted as Ferrus hands out 6+ FNP for everyone.

However, I have had more success using them with Autek Morr in a spartan assault tank. Morr essentially makes up for all their deficiencies and compliments the unit when he joins them. FNP 5+ becomes more valuable, when Morr joins them he makes the unit fearless, gives them preferred enemy and helps support them in close combat (he’s an absolute beast - check out the recent mathammer thread). Also, Morr cannot make sweeping advances thanks to his cataphractii plate, here the “gun them down” rule seems to have some use. He is even equipped with a charger so there’s no duality in the units role.

It’s almost like they were made to work together...... ;)

Cadmus

I've been looking at the rules for Immortals, and against an army like mine (World Eaters), they're gonna be a right pain, especially if sat on an objective. All my attack bonuses go right out the window and inviolable armour makes it difficult to drop them without massed shooting. Painfully resilient roadblock lol

So, Iron Hands people :-) I'm building an IH army for my son and just wanted to clarify. With Head of the Gorgon ROW, Iron Scions, what units exactly can he take from the Legio Cybernetica? From the list I'd interpret it that Castellax are the only unit, they're the only "battle automata" in that list, but I may be wrong. Help please :-)

(Yes, I know this should probably be in the rules forum but I figured you guys would be more onto it)

My understanding is that you can take any from the battle-automata: castellax, artalax, vorax, or domitars. No thanatars (as they are seige-automata) or vulturax (as they are strato-automata).

My understanding is that you can take any from the battle-automata: castellax, artalax, vorax, or domitars. No thanatars (as they are seige-automata) or vulturax (as they are strato-automata).

Ah cool, thank you. Are the rules for those in the Mechanicum list i assume?

Yes, all are in the Mechanicum book.