[HH1.0] Iron Hands Tactics

Noctus Cornix

So after much reading and thinking I may have found a list I wanna try and build. After listening to "Immortal Duty" via audio book I fell in love with Immortals and Breachers and would like to build a list thematically around them and the aftermath of Istaavan V. 

1500 Points

HQ:

Legion Praetor - Artificer Armor, Cyber-familiar, Iron Halo, Paragon Blade

Elites:

Legion Apothecary

Legion Apothecary

Troops:

Legion Breacher Squad - 14x Breacher Marines + Sergeant, Artificer Armor, Power Sword

Legion Breacher Squad - 14x Breacher Marines + Sergeant, Artificer Armor, Power Sword

Medusan Immortals - 14x Immortals + Sergeant, Artificer Armor

-Spartan Assault Tank: Armoured Ceramite, Blessed Autosimulacra 

Rites of War: Company of Bitter Iron

I know it's not much but at the moment it is just my roommate and I. No one in my area plays 30K so him and I are just having a bit of fun. 

• 2 weeks later...

I like your list, very thematic if you love Breachers and Immortals. 

Aside from your Praetor, who I assume will be accompanying your Immortals in the Spartan, you have nothing else that can deal with 2+ armour in combat.  I rejigged the list a little bit, let me know what you think.

++ The Age of Darkness (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) [1500pts] ++

+ HQ +

Praetor, Legion [200pts]: Artificer Armour, Cyber-familiar, Digital Lasers, Iron Halo, Mastercraft a Single Weapon, Melta Bombs, On Foot, Paragon Blade

+ Troops +

Breacher Siege Squad, Legion [245pts]: 9x Breacher Siege Space Marines, Legion
. Breacher Siege Sergeant, Legion: Artificer Armour, Bolter, Cyber-familiar, Melta Bombs, Power Fist

. Breacher Siege Sergeant, Legion: Artificer Armour, Bolter, Cyber-familiar, Melta Bombs, Power Fist

Medusan Immortals [810pts]: 19x Medusan Immortals, 4x Meltagun
. Spartan Assault Tank, Legion: Armoured Ceramite, Dozer Blade, Quad Lascannon Sponsons, Twin-linked Heavy Bolter
. . Combi-weapon: Combi-weapon: Melta gun
. Veteran Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Cyber-familiar, Thunder Hammer

+ Allegiance +

and Allegiance, Legion

and Allegiance, Legion:   X: Iron Hands, Loyalist

Rite of War: Company of Bitter Iron

++ Total: [1500pts] ++

I like your list, very thematic if you love Breachers and Immortals. 

Aside from your Praetor, who I assume will be accompanying your Immortals in the Spartan, you have nothing else that can deal with 2+ armour in combat.  I rejigged the list a little bit, let me know what you think.

++ The Age of Darkness (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) [1500pts] ++

+ HQ +

Praetor, Legion [200pts]: Artificer Armour, Cyber-familiar, Digital Lasers, Iron Halo, Mastercraft a Single Weapon, Melta Bombs, On Foot, Paragon Blade

+ Troops +

Medusan Immortals [810pts]: 19x Medusan Immortals, 4x Meltagun
. Spartan Assault Tank, Legion: Armoured Ceramite, Dozer Blade, Quad Lascannon Sponsons, Twin-linked Heavy Bolter
. . Combi-weapon: Combi-weapon: Melta gun
. Veteran Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Cyber-familiar, Thunder Hammer

+ Allegiance +

and Allegiance, Legion

and Allegiance, Legion:   X: Iron Hands, Loyalist

Rite of War: Company of Bitter Iron

++ Total: [1500pts] ++

Yes at the moment I am loving Breachers and Immortals for the thematic fact. Not trying to be competitive or anything!

I do like the list a ton! Wasn't thinking of dealing with 2+ when making the list.

• 2 weeks later...

So, with the addition of the termite to the arsenal of the Tenth, what do you think the best unit/character combo is to put in there? Might not be the best, but I think it'd be damn cool to have 10 immortals with volkite chargers and a character ride up through the earth!

So, with the addition of the termite to the arsenal of the Tenth, what do you think the best unit/character combo is to put in there? Might not be the best, but I think it'd be damn cool to have 10 immortals with volkite chargers and a character ride up through the earth!

Oh yeah. That way they are right in the middle of the action. Add an Apothecary for more fun. :)

Oh yeah. That way they are right in the middle of the action. Add an Apothecary for more fun. :)

They have FNP5+ anyway ;)

They have FNP5+ anyway ;)
Oh.

Then.... make 'em 12. :)

Oh yeah. That way they are right in the middle of the action. Add an Apothecary for more fun. :smile.:
They have FNP5+ anyway :wink:
Oh.

Then.... make 'em 12. :smile.:

Right, but I recently realized after re-reading the AoD rulebook that it'd actually add a +1 to give them a 4+ FNP!

Oh yeah. That way they are right in the middle of the action. Add an Apothecary for more fun. :smile.:
Oh.

Right, but I recently realized after re-reading the AoD rulebook that it'd actually add a +1 to give them a 4+ FNP!
What? How?

Oh.

What? How?

Just had a look under the rule, nothing I'm seeing pertaining to this...?

(I quit quoting because it made my head spin)

How do you get a +1 bonus to FnP rolles?

He means that in Book 2; Massacre, they were originally FNP 6+, but in the Black Book Isstvan Campaign Legion Rules Immortals got bumped up to FNP 5+. If someone's gone from Book 2; Massacre to playing the AoD rules, it would appear to be a bump then.

There is no way to gain the Feel No Pain (4+) without having Feel No Pain (4+).

Coolness is right up there but Immortals are average in AoD. They're much better in ZM. As cliche as it is, Vets would be the ideal choice. They're scoring, can be tooled up to deal with multiple situations and are far more points efficient. Give them an apothecary and independent character for good measure. 

Coolness is right up there but Immortals are average in AoD. They're much better in ZM. As cliche as it is, Vets would be the ideal choice. They're scoring, can be tooled up to deal with multiple situations and are far more points efficient. Give them an apothecary and independent character for good measure.
Yupp, pretty much.

But I guess a ten men Tactical Support Squad with flamethrowers or Volkite Chargers would work too.

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all, I have a small 1500pt game against TotE next week, trying to decide between my alphas or iron hands. Would appreciate some feedback on this list:

Castreman Orth

Tactical squad x10

Tactical squad x10 Rhino

Plasma support squad x4 plasma, combi plasma. (Ride in spartan)

landraider proteus - AC

Landraider spartan - AC

Contemptor Cortus x 2 grav

Contemptor Cortus x 1 grav, multimelta, havoc launcher

I understand 1500 will be a hard slog, I am tempted to suggest 2000.

Cadmus

So, big question - what is the Spartan Achieving carrying 5 dudes with Plasma Guns that a Land Raider can't?

Custodes will mostly struggle with AV14 so it's not bad, but it's a MASSIVE points investment for just 5 guys. You'd be better off with a Proteus for them too.

1500 really is tough, as you can't get loads beyond some Tacs and other bits.

If you want a nice counter assault unit, some Cataphracti with fists + a forge lord with Rad Grenades will do some work against most Custodes.

That's cool then, if it's serving s purpose that's nice. It's just a shame as you pay SO many points for that assault ramp.

If anything I'd try and pump up the members of the plasma squad to ten then, make them your true assassin unit.

• 4 weeks later...

I just saw photos from the most recent 30k channel game and the Iron Hands player had at least two full squadrons of Land raider Proteuses. I don't know how the game went but man they were a gorgeous sight. I was curious if anyone had experience with that many proteuses, are they viable for their points? Also would a squadron be more useful as a firebase or as a vehicle for  troop transport? I just love the look of them and would love to deploy them as a spearhead 

Proteus are an AV14 bunker you use to keep your guys alive, but you're paying 100ish points to move, basically. The shooting is a bit naff.

The guys who want to stay in the transport to stay alive shouldn't have a purpose other than staying alive (and thus staying in the transport). They can thus not take any action, so points spent on that unit doing things is wasted.

But then, you're spending 180pts rather than 35.

• 1 month later...

Question for the IH vets, I'm building up my 9yo sons IH force atm and I'm trying to rationalize HQ choices.

So, he wants to run a Praevian for the battle-automata. Understandable, scary unit when combined with inviolate armour. 1/3 choices down

Now the dilemma. What else to run? Ferrus Manus will be in the force which basically negates the Master of the Legion rules for Castramen Orth and Autek Mor. Im thinking its smarter to run a Forge Lord in the back with servitors to repair Medusa tanks (which are in the force) and just a regular Iron Father Praetor alongside Gorgons. He's already got the Iron Father model. Orth only grants bonuses to the tank he's in (probably a vindicator with laser destroyer) and doesn't require a model per se. Mor is tough as, but minus his warlord trait, less so (plus my WE praetor got a Paragon Blade ID last battle before he even struck).

Thoughts?

Are you running Head of the Gorgon, if so you can take Battle-Automata as an elites choice anyway (they don't get Inviolate armour or Previan buffs) so that free's a HQ choice if not.

Orth is incredible regardless of Ferrus and you can bring him along to buff something like a Sicaran Venator into the Stratosphere.

A Forgelord is pretty nice to bring with something like Gorgons to give them access or Rad Grenades to go with their Power Axes, or even more Graviton Gun shots.

If you have any shooty marines a Master of Signals could be a great shout to buff them.

A Siege Breaker unlocks Phosphex and Tank-hunter for a heavy weapon squad.

A lesser seen option is the Herald too - bring a banner and give those Gorgons the WS5 they deserve!

Are you running Head of the Gorgon, if so you can take Battle-Automata as an elites choice anyway (they don't get Inviolate armour or Previan buffs) so that free's a HQ choice if not.

Orth is incredible regardless of Ferrus and you can bring him along to buff something like a Sicaran Venator into the Stratosphere.

A Forgelord is pretty nice to bring with something like Gorgons to give them access or Rad Grenades to go with their Power Axes, or even more Graviton Gun shots.

If you have any shooty marines a Master of Signals could be a great shout to buff them.

A Siege Breaker unlocks Phosphex and Tank-hunter for a heavy weapon squad.

A lesser seen option is the Herald too - bring a banner and give those Gorgons the WS5 they deserve!

Definitely running Head of the Gorgon. He's decided that Ferrus is definitely part of this army lol. Actually wanted to run the praevian to free up the Elite slot, plus, inviolate armour on T7 MC is scary, need something tough to kill that

Biggest problem is that his HS slots are already filled with a Medusa squadron, and eventually a Vindictor laser destroyer squadron. The BS bonus to the vindicator squadron could help, but really, if they're overpowering, it'll be devastating anyway. The problem with vindicators is that they only come in slots of 1

Biggest problem I'm facing here is that Head of the Gorgon only allows one other Consul outside of Forge Lords, and he really wants a Praevian lol. I might be able to rejig it though. Currently, there's a Gorgon, Immortals and Rapier battery in elites. I figured a contemptor with twin Kheres was good for the fourth for AA ability