[HH1.0] Iron Hands Tactics

Noctus Cornix

Strongly advise against Immortals. One of the worst unique units in the game.

HotG with Ferrus makes for ridiculously tough tanks. Free Blessed Autosimulacra and IWND for any vehicle with AV13 or greater. 

Orth in a Caestus Assault Ram could be funny. It's a flying tank that can carry 10 models and Terminators do not count as bulky. 

• 1 month later...

Greetings brothers,

I’m about to start building a Praevian for my iron hands. I’ve had a good read of the forum but I’m still a little undecided regarding his loadout, especially in light of the FAQ. I plan to run my praevian with 2-3 castellax, probably in games of 1500-2000pts. My castellax have maulers so his equipment needs to compliment that.

My ideal loadout would be: Artificer armour, combi-flamer, refractor field, thunderhammer. But this brings him to 140pts, which seems like a heavy investment of points to me for just for 2-3 castellax.

Would anyone recommend running him differently?

Cadmus

Greetings brothers,

I’m about to start building a Praevian for my iron hands. I’ve had a good read of the forum but I’m still a little undecided regarding his loadout, especially in light of the FAQ. I plan to run my praevian with 2-3 castellax, probably in games of 1500-2000pts. My castellax have maulers so his equipment needs to compliment that.

My ideal loadout would be: Artificer armour, combi-flamer, refractor field, thunderhammer. But this brings him to 140pts, which seems like a heavy investment of points to me for just for 2-3 castellax.

Would anyone recommend running him differently?

Cadmus

Ditch the hammer. He doesn't really need it. Same with the Combi, just keep him with a bolter. Even artificer isn't that worth it as they'll have to kill the Castellax first anyway!

Fair point regarding the artificer armour, my original thought was to have him tank AP3 shots, but that would leave him vulnerable to any AP2 fire. With two wounds he’s not going to survive long.

The other use would be in a challenge, but it may make more sense to decline these and hide in the unit. Therefore a decent CC weapon would be useless. I suppose you either equip him for challenges or avoid them.

The combi flamer is there to gain preferred enemy if I’m charged. Plus a 2pt bolter skews the overall points, so I will always be down by 3pts with a list (minor niggle!).

Any other thoughts?

Fair point regarding the artificer armour, my original thought was to have him tank AP3 shots, but that would leave him vulnerable to any AP2 fire. With two wounds he’s not going to survive long.

The other use would be in a challenge, but it may make more sense to decline these and hide in the unit. Therefore a decent CC weapon would be useless. I suppose you either equip him for challenges or avoid them.

The combi flamer is there to gain preferred enemy if I’m charged. Plus a 2pt bolter skews the overall points, so I will always be down by 3pts with a list (minor niggle!).

Any other thoughts?

Bolter, AA and a Refractor Field works very good.

• 3 months later...

So I had a cool fluff idea for a heretical Iron Father who was reserectibg the dead of Istvaan in Castellax like quasi Dreadnoughts and I happened upon a tactic conundrum that I wanted to run by you all:

So I wanted to run a terminator forgelord with a conversion Beamer accompanied by two darkfire Castellax. They would lose out on the healing benefits of a servo arm and the durability of the IH traits brought by a pravian. However it would serve as an incredibly sturdy fire base for the beamer. What do you guys think? Would it even be worth it? (The rule of cool is driving this one for me, but I did want to make sure the tactics make sense

Unfortun

So I had a cool fluff idea for a heretical Iron Father who was reserectibg the dead of Istvaan in Castellax like quasi Dreadnoughts and I happened upon a tactic conundrum that I wanted to run by you all:

So I wanted to run a terminator forgelord with a conversion Beamer accompanied by two darkfire Castellax. They would lose out on the healing benefits of a servo arm and the durability of the IH traits brought by a pravian. However it would serve as an incredibly sturdy fire base for the beamer. What do you guys think? Would it even be worth it? (The rule of cool is driving this one for me, but I did want to make sure the tactics make sense

Unless the new rule book changes things, I don’t think ICs can join monstrous creatures to form a unit?

Just put him with some T5 servitors.

Cadmus

Unfortun

Unless the new rule book changes things, I don’t think ICs can join monstrous creatures to form a unit?

Just put him with some T5 servitors.

Cadmus

Craaaaaaaaaaaap. Ok thanks. For whatever reason I thought they could with their cortex controllers 

So, having just read the rules again, does anyone run Orth in a Vindicator laser destroyer squadron? I mean, Orth's only downside is no Master of the Legion. Laser destroyer squadron of three, firing with overpowered shots, that'll easily glance a flare shielded Spartan to death in a turn, and if it's not flare shielded, well...

Someone said earlier his tank hunters will benefit entire squadron, but I thought he'd only benefit the tank he was in? But for 35 points, you can make one a command tank and same difference

• 1 month later...

So, what do you guys think about new FAQ? Points drop and little buff for immortals, no more castellax immune to bolter fire. Any thoughts?

Always liked Immortals and now they're even better. Stick a nasty character in there to help them win a combat and proceed to ~CHOOM~ the bajeezus out of the mewling traitors who run.

Castellax immune to bolters was always a bit OP, free autosim is a nice and fluffy change.

Immortals getting a base points drop and a drop in points for volkite chargers is a massive change. You are now paying 5 more points for the unit than standard breachers.

My standard loadout at the moment is x10 immortals with chargers, AA on the sergeant.

Previously that came up to 310 points, you are now paying 235 points for the same loadout.

The gun them down rule is now at full BS, which is great. I tend to run immortals with Autek, giving them fearless, preferred enemy infantry and via the RoW they are also scoring units. They can never sweep thanks to Auteks cataphractti plate, so gun they down is really, really useful now.

Breaching charges have dropped in points as well.

My only two issues with the unit are:

1) lack of access to melta bombs - which could be argued either way.

2) pointless free upgrade to a close combat weapon (they can never claim the extra attack due to the breacher shield).

My plan is to build another 15! Thank you FW

Cadmus

Hei! Is there anyone who would like to take a look at my list and tell me what would be a nice and usefull unit to add to reach 3k points (412 points to spend). I was thinking about second sicaran (venator? Arcus?), primaris, graviton cannons or quizing somehow typhon. Or maybe something different? Please, help me obi wan!

+ HQ +

Iron-father Autek Mor

Spearhead-Centurion Castrmen Orth

+ Elites +

Gorgon Squad , Compulsory:

3x Chainfist, 9x Gorgon Terminator, 2x Graviton Gun, 6x Power Fist

. Gorgon Hammerbearer: Cyber-familiar

. Spartan Assault Tank, Legion: Armoured Ceramite, Blessed Autosimulacra, Dozer Blade, Flare Shield, Quad Lascannon Sponsons x2, Twin-linked Heavy Bolter

Medusan Immortals:

9x Medusan Immortals, 9x Volkite Charger

. Land Raider Phobos: 2x Twin-linked Lascannon Sponsons, Blessed Autosimulacra, Dozer Blade, Twin-linked Bolter

. Veteran Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Cyber-familiar, Melta Bombs, Power Fist, Volkite Charger

+ Troops +

Tactical Squad, Legion ,Compulsory:

9x Tactical Space Marines, Legion

. Additional Wargear: Vexilla, Legion

. Rhino Armoured Carrier, Legion: Blessed Autosimulacra, Dozer Blade

. Standard Wargear: Bolters

. Tactical Sergeant, Legion: Cyber-familiar, Melta Bombs, Power Fist

Tactical Squad, Legion , Compulsory:

9x Tactical Space Marines, Legion

. Additional Wargear: Vexilla, Legion

. Rhino Armoured Carrier, Legion: Blessed Autosimulacra, Dozer Blade

. Standard Wargear: Bolters

. Tactical Sergeant, Legion: Cyber-familiar, Melta Bombs, Power Fist

+ Heavy Support +

Sicaran Battle Tank: Accelerator Autocannon, Blessed Autosimulacra, Lascannon Sponsons

Vindicator Siege Tank Squadron

. Vindicator Tank, Legion: Blessed Autosimulacra, Combi-Bolter, Demolisher Cannon, Dozer Blade, Machine Spirit

. Vindicator Tank, Legion: Blessed Autosimulacra, Combi-Bolter, Demolisher Cannon, Dozer Blade, Machine Spirit

Rite of War: The Head of the Gorgon

Playtest Rules

Total: 2588pts

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Which one of those would be the most usefull in HotG army list with some lr, spartan, rhinos, vindicators, typhon andlightning striker:

-master of signals

-forge lord

-damocles rhino

Alright Iron Fathers, I'm thinking about running some Tox flamer Nullifactors with a Forgelord in an Assault Ram and modeling them as a heavy Destroyer unit. What are everyone's thoughts on their loadout, options, and tactics?

Alright Iron Fathers, I'm thinking about running some Tox flamer Nullifactors with a Forgelord in an Assault Ram and modeling them as a heavy Destroyer unit. What are everyone's thoughts on their loadout, options, and tactics?

Bring a couple fists just incase, probably don't need maximum flamers, just a few will do. But otherwise love it!!

Hi All,

I'm after some general Iron Hands tactical advice regarding how to defeat my regular opponents. I have quite a large, varied Iron Hands army, but I always seem to get wiped out by my opponents, who mostly favour Assault-based armies. My main regular opponent fields Emperor's Children and Sons of Horus, and as soon as he gets into Close Combat, I might as well pack up and call it a day :blush.:

His Emperor's Children force usually consists of mostly large Palatine Blade Squads and Assault Squads, all backed up by Apothecaries, Chaplains and Praetors etc. Even if I build similar Iron Hands squads, they will get annihlated due to the assault bonuses that Emperor's Children get in Close Combat.

My other opponents are all similarly assault-based - World Eaters, Blood Angels, Space Wolves, and Imperial Fists (Sigismund & Thunder Hammer/Storm Shield Terminators).

I'm guessing that the best approach is to gun them down before they lock me into close combat, but I always run out of turns and get over-run!

Units I can field currently are:

• Ferrus Manus
  • Shadrak Meduson
  • 5-Man Terminator Honour Guard (Volkites & Axes)
  • Various Praetors & Centurion Consuls, plus I can make loads more, including the new guys from Malevolence.
  • 3 x Apothecaries
  • 20 Cataphractii (Axes & Combi-Volkites)
  • 3 Contemptors (various loadouts)
  • 3 x Graviton Rapiers
  • 40 Tactical Marines (all Bolters)
  • 20 Breachers
  • 3 x 10-Man Tactical Support Squads (10 Volkite Culverins, 10 Flamers, 10 Graviton Guns)
  • 20 Heavy Support Marines (10 Lascannons, 10 Volkite Calivers)
  • 2 x Spartans
  • 1 x Landraider Proteus
  • 1 x Achilles-Alpha Landraider
  • 3 x Conversion Beamer Predators
  • 3 x Medusas
  • 5 x Multimelta/Graviton Gun Landspeeders

I'm also working on the following at the moment:

• 10 Destroyers
  • 10 Gorgon Terminators
  • 10 Tartaros Terminators (all dual-Lightning Claws)
  • 20 Breachers
  • 20 Medusan Immortals
  • 20 Assault Marines
  • 1 x Sicaran / Sicaran Arcus
  • 2 x Leviathan Dreadnoughts
  • 1 x Fire Raptor Gunship
  • 1 x Falchion
  • 1 x Typhon
Edited by Urza