[HH1.0] Salamanders Tactics

Blacksails

Hello Sallie-players!

I'm thinking of using a unit of Firedrakes as a "Rewards of treason" perk in an Alpha legion list. What I've thinking about is the weapons load out. Surely I'll kit them all out with storm shields, but I'm somewhat divided with thunder hammers, Since thunder hammers cost 10p and regular powerfist cost 5p, and the weapon stats are the same except for thunder hammer having concussive special rule.

In a unit of Firedrakes, is it really worth having all of them equipped with thunder hammers? If you get a wound in from one hammer, the concussive rule is applied on the unit suffering the wound from the hammer, so why spend 20-30p more in a unit of 10 firedrakes to equip them all with hammers? Is it not more point efficient to just have 30-40% of them equipped with hammers and the rest with powerfists? You'll likely still have at least one hammer guy getting a wound done causing concussion on the enemy unit. So why have hammers on all of the models in a unit?

The models are cool!

Nah, there isn't much reason beyond rule of cool to put it on all of them.

It's good to note too that concussive only affects the model wounded and not the entire unit. So Thunder Hammers are effectively Power Fists against anything single wound or less than/ equal to T4. So will only really help against things like Atuomata, Primarchs, Bikes, Cutstodes & Daemons.

A nice mix of Thunder Hammers, Chainfists & Power fists is good.

There is no real reason to it, apart from the base models being WYSIWYG compatible, so you'll need to have some Powerfists or Chainfists set aside. Without Chainfists, you may find the unit gets held up by a suicide Dreadnought on a turn of bad rolling.

No, it is not worth having them all equipped with Thunder Hammers. Some of them you expect to die, so use Power Weapon guys instead to die, and save the points for use elsewhere. The annoying thing is that you can't get a Master Crafted Chainfist, or even a Chainfist on the Master. Ah well.

Thanks for your advice guys, and the concussive rules clarification, looks like I'll need to find some chainfist bits or build ones out of power fists and chainswords.

• 2 weeks later...

Hail!

So, I am finally getting around to assembling my Salamander Company Veterans. So far I have but two assembled and primed; one with a combi-flamer, the other with a plasma pistol & power sword (my thoughts were that he would serve as the squad "champion" / second-in-command...

BUT! That said - is it still a valid option to equip the squad with as many combi-flamers and heavy flamers as they can carry, or should they "ideally" be equipped with something else? I will - mostly - be playing against Alpha Legion. And yes, they will most likely be chucked into a Rhino and seconded an Apothecary...

And are template weapons still good with the "sniper" / marksmen veteran skill to gain rending? I thought I read somewhere, that template weapons no longer get rending, but I have not been able to track it down again...

Cheers!

Master Ciaphas

They no longer get sniper on templates

Hmm. So, I remembered right. 

Can someone provide me a link to the Horus Heresy Rulebook errata? I assume it is there...but I have not been able to find the erratta on the Forge World website, nor on the Warhammer Community website...

Additionnally; seeing that the "obvious" way of approaching Salamander Veterans seems to be gone, how should Veterans then be kitted out? I am thinking that trying to have them do too many things will result in them being able to do all equally poorly, that they should be directed to either close combat, heavy infantry hunting, tank hunting or something else?

I am open to suggestions...

Cheers!

Master Ciaphas

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

What do we think about the following:

Termite with 5-10 heavy support heavy flamers with a pyromancy librarian for support.

I'm also considering pyroclasts for better saves, tactical support with flamers for scoring or breachers for scoring and defense.

What do guys think of Running the XVIII with Orbital Assault? No special Salamander rules but flamer and melta squads podding in seems pretty cool.

Don't pod them in - drill them in ! 

Subterranean Assault just screams Salamanders to me, and the improved transport capacity even lets you attach a character or apothecary to a unit.

What about 5-10 heavy support heavy flamers eith promethium pipes and and a siegebreaker?

What are Promethium Pipes?

A 'fortification' type structure from the 40k line of buildings whose availability in 30k is debatable since it no longer appears in the official set of scenery (30k rulebook) but appeared in the 6th ed. 40k Stronghold Assault sourcebook IIRC.

It essentially bestowed the torrent USR on Flamers and Heavy Flamers I believe.

So, I guess it would be 'with opponents permission' nowadays.

What about 5-10 heavy support heavy flamers eith promethium pipes and and a siegebreaker?

What are Promethium Pipes?

A 'fortification' type structure from the 40k line of buildings whose availability in 30k is debatable since it no longer appears in the official set of scenery (30k rulebook) but appeared in the 6th ed. 40k Stronghold Assault sourcebook IIRC.

It essentially bestowed the torrent USR on Flamers and Heavy Flamers I believe.

So, I guess it would be 'with opponents permission' nowadays.

Ah, those things.

In a houserule enviroment they sound good, yes.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I got myself a termite! What to put in it?

Thinking veterans with heavy flamers, a combi or 2 and some power weapons.

Or a support squaf with flamers and ccw

Or a heavy suppory with heavy flamers...

Or a pyroclast squad..

I will also have a drop pod with dread and a dreadclaw with firedrakes ;)