[HH1.0] Salamanders Tactics

Blacksails

• 1 month later...

Quick quesiton about The Covenant of Fire RoW:

When it says

Hidden Content

• With the exception of the Legion Champion type, detachments using this Rite of War may only take a single Consul as part of their HQ choices.

does that mean you can only take 1x HQ? Does a Praetor count as a Consul? What about Cassian Dracos?

Next question: what is this Cassian Dracos Reborn that shows up in Battlescribe and where can his/its official rules be found?

Quick quesiton about The Covenant of Fire RoW:

When it says

Hidden Content

• With the exception of the Legion Champion type, detachments using this Rite of War may only take a single Consul as part of their HQ choices.

does that mean you can only take 1x HQ? Does a Praetor count as a Consul? What about Cassian Dracos?

Next question: what is this Cassian Dracos Reborn that shows up in Battlescribe and where can his/its official rules be found?

A Consul is a Centurion that has been upgraded to one of the many consul types (Chaplain, Librarian, Champion, Master of Signal etc) so basically, you can take any number of Champion Consuls, but only one Consul of any other type.

Preators are not Consuls and neither is Cassian Dracos, as they are not Centurion with a Consul upgrade.

Cassian Dracos Reborn is an alternative profile for Cassian Dracos found in Book 6: Retribution.

To quote 1d4chan:

Cassian Dracos Reborn: He was so tough he had to be knocked out with an orbital lance strike, but that still didn't kill him. Post-Istvaan-V, most of his rules and stats remain as is but his side and rear armor became significantly weaker (with the latter being only AV10). However, he does gain a nasty trick to make up for it - he can now use some of the Mechanicum's Cybertheurgy powers (Rite of Celerity, of Eternity and of Fury, but with Ld7) and has access to a special power that allows him to hijack enemy battle-automata for the shooting phase, and gets Bloody Handed as a WT, but can only be the warlord if the army has no other HQ besides Xiaphas and Narik. Still a powerful tool, but don't let anyone get behind him or he'll be screwed, possibly even by bog-standard boltgun fire.

So he's an alternative flavour with some buffs/ debuffs to allied/ enemy automata and can be the Warlord.

• 5 weeks later...

Hail!

I am a looking for a bit of advice on what to get next, as I am almost done painting all my Salamanders for the Horus Heresy. My current collection is composed of the following:

HQ

Praetor with Thunder Hammer & combi-Volkite

Delegatus w. Chainfist & combi-melta

Chaplain Consul

Legion Champion Consul

Primus Medicae Consul

Master of Signal Consul

Cassian Dracos

Chaplain No'mus Rhy'tan 

ELITE

5 Cataphractii Legion Terminators (Sgt. w. TH/SS, 1x HF/PF, 3x Combi-Bolters/CF)

5 Firedrake Terminators

2 Apothecaries

2 Contemptor Dreadnoughts (Multi-Melta & DCCW / Twin Kheres & Missile Launcher)

1 Contemptor Cortus (DCCW & Dreadnought Chainfist) 

1 Rapier Quad Launcher weapons battery

TROOPS

10 Tactical Marines (Sgt. w. combi-melta/PF, vexilia)

10 Tactical Marines (Sgt. w. combi-melta/PF, vexilia)

5 Tactical Support Marines w. plasma guns

5 Tactical Support Marines w. meltaguns

10 Veteran Tactical Marines w. 4x combi-meltas, 1x combi-plasma, 1 combi-flamer, 2 multi-meltas, 1x powerfist & combi-plasma, 1x power sword & plasma pistol)

3 Rhinos

HEAVY SUPPORT

1 Whirlwind Scorpius

1 Sicaran Battle Tank w. Accelerator Cannons

1 Spartan Tank

10 Heavy Support Marines w. Volkite Culverins

5 Heavy Support Marines w. Lascannons

10 Pyroclasts

So - what to add next? I am thinking naturally the man, the legend, Vulkan himself, perhaps another 10 Tactical Marines...but beyond that, what might mesh well with what I have? I am thinking these last few things will finish off the army and leave it at that...?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Faithfully,

Master Ciaphas

VULKAN is obviously a zoggin' MUST brother!

Other than that I'd say bulk out some of your others squads maybe? Those Support squads and Cataphractii could use some more members for sure!

Other than that you could look down the Consul route... A Previan with some recovered tempest-galleries robots (Castellax) would be an excellent addition and add something unique to the force. A Librarian would be great too.

You could even look into book 8, an Armistos Consul has a MC Vulkite Culverin and gives the same to your existing squad (plus he has Stubborn!) OR maybe, as we approach the more esoteric nature of the Heresy your Sallies have gone a bit cult-ish and started to develop ritualistic wards; Primus Nullificator and some Nullificators would be great.

• 1 month later...

... I assume you're referring to The Draken Scale ?

If so, then your answer is clearly in the latest FAQ:

Vulkan (Page 113)

Under the heading The Draken Scale, replace the text with the following:

Vulkan’s armour was a marvel of the Imperium and a famed relic in its own right. Its crowning glory was the skull of the great Firedrake Kesare

mounted upon the Primarch’s shoulder, upon whose image the Legion’s symbol was based. The Draken Scale provides Vulkan with a 2+ armour

save and a 3+ invulnerable save. It also halves the Strength (round down) of any flamer, fusion, volkite, melta or plasma weapon when rolling To

Wound against Vulkan only.

Now, that was hard to look up.

Hello,

Im still trying to pick a legion and the saladmancers are still in the running.

Here is a 1500 point list i conjured up. Im more than open to any C&C as my actual exposure to playing any wh is minimal.

1 question i have, if the fire drakes alrdy have a 4++ why take the dragonscale shield? Does it buff it to a 3++?

++ Crusade (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) [1,500pts] ++

+ HQ +

Praetor, Legion [195pts]: Artificer Armour, Digital Lasers, Dragonscale Storm Shield, Iron Halo, Mantle of the Elder Drake, On Foot, Paragon Blade

. Chainsword or Combat Blade: Combat Blade

+ Elites +

Firedrake Terminator Squad , Compulsory [350pts]: 4x Dragonscale Storm Shield, 4x Firedrakes, 4x Thunder Hammer

. Firedrake Master: Dragonscale Storm Shield, Master-crafted Thunder Hammer

Quad Launcher Support Battery, Legion [140pts]: 2x Rapier, Legion, Shatter Shell

+ Troops +

Tactical Squad, Legion , Compulsory [200pts]: 9x Tactical Space Marines, Legion

. Additional Wargear: Vexilla, Legion

. Rhino Armoured Carrier, Legion: Dozer Blade, Multi Melta

. Standard Wargear: Bolters

. Tactical Sergeant, Legion: Artificer Armour, Bolter

Tactical Squad, Legion , Compulsory [200pts]: 9x Tactical Space Marines, Legion

. Additional Wargear: Vexilla, Legion

. Rhino Armoured Carrier, Legion: Dozer Blade, Multi Melta

. Standard Wargear: Bolters

. Tactical Sergeant, Legion: Artificer Armour, Bolter

Tactical Support Squad, Legion Meltagun [170pts]: Meltagun, 4x Space Marines, Legion, Support Squad

. Sergeant, Legion: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol

. . Combi-weapon: Combi-weapon: Meltagun

+ Heavy Support +

Sicaran Venator Tank Destroyer [245pts]: Lascannon Sponsons, Multi Melta

+ Allegiance +

Legion and Allegiance: XVIII: Salamanders, Loyalist

Rite of War: The Covenant of Fire

++ Total: [1,500pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Yep, the shield buffs it to a 3++ :)

Oh the list:

-You *need* a transport for the terminators, or they are just too slow sadly.

-5 man for a Melta squad is very small, and no point paying for a combi on the sarge when he gets a full Melta gun anyway.

-Save some points on the venator by removing the lascannons and multi melta. If the main gun shoots they're only snap shooting anyway.

It's up to you my dude! 1500 is very small for heresy, so something like a Firedrake squad in a raider is either going to dominate or be dominated

I know its not alot im just trying to get a basis for an army. Whichever legion i pick i want to start with about 1500 then 1000 more and then a primarch.

Even if the list the 1500 points isnt 'functional' just dont want to buy wasted models. So eventually itll be played as 2500 or 3000 with the prinarch

• 9 months later...

How would you guys make a Caestus Assault Ram work in a Salamanders Army? I love the model and think it looks fantastic with a nice Salamanders hot-rod flamey paint job.

I am trying with an oribital assault list or doing Covenant of Fire.

In CoV it would get the special 5++ save to make it pretty durable. But how do you make it effective coming out of Reserves?

Also would 2 in an army be too much?

• 3 months later...

There is no 'best' RoW, regardless of Legion or Allegiance, and regardless of how many times someone asks in various 'tactics' threads.

The answer always depends on what you want to run in your respective army, and how you would like it to perform and especially look like. 

If you really really, need an answer, here it is ... ... ... obviously Outcast Sons.

The best RoW for traitors is "Sacrificial Offering". Having your entire primary detachment outflank is just nuts.

:|

There is no 'best' RoW, regardless of Legion or Allegiance, and regardless of how many times someone asks in various 'tactics' threads.

The answer always depends on what you want to run in your respective army, and how you would like it to perform and especially look like.

And I may add:

Against who you play, how many points you play etc.

Edited by Gorgoff

How would you guys make a Caestus Assault Ram work in a Salamanders Army? I love the model and think it looks fantastic with a nice Salamanders hot-rod flamey paint job.

In CoV it would get the special 5++ save to make it pretty durable. But how do you make it effective coming out of Reserves?

You don't have go worry about flyer reserves in CoV. The Rite of War forbids deepstriking. Edited by The Scorpion

You don't have go worry about flyer reserves in CoV. The Rite of War forbids deepstriking.
Well, only if he wants to deep strike with them.

Yeah, flyers dont _need_ to deepstrike. They just can if they want to. If a RoW prevents deepstriking, it doesnt prevent flyers because they can still outflank or come in from your own table edge(s).