Legion tactical squad question?

recon0321

I don't have either HH book (yet). But i heard that that legion tactical squads can only have bolters BP/CCW is this true? What is the idea behind the legion tac squad and the legion support squad...is the legion support squad the dev squad for HH

Essentially, yes. Legion tactical squads are unable to purchase almost any upgrades. Its simply bolter or bolt pistol and chainsword.

Support Squads are you special weapons boys. Flamers, meltaguns, plasmaguns. Things like that. EVERYONE in the squad carries one

Devastators perform the same task but with heavy weapons.

A thing to note about support and devastator squads is that they all have to have the same weapon no matter the squad size. so if you want a 10 man devastator squad with lascannons? you can totally do it, so long as they all have JUST lascannons. This includes the sergeant.

That is correct. The Sergeant has the usual array of options, but otherwise Legion Tactical Squads either have Bolters/Bps, exchange their Bolters for a CCW, or take an additional CCW for points. They also have a special rule Fury of the Legion, which allows a stationary squad to fire their Bolters/BPs at a single target twice at the cost of Overwatch and shooting in their next turn.

Also, Legion Tactical Squads may contain up to twenty Marines.

The idea behind the LTS, one suspects, is Forgeworld attempting to reproduce the "feel" of the era - the Space Marines are Legions, and frequently deploy rank and file battle-brothers in massed formations.

The Legion Tactical Support Squad is not a Devastator Squad - that still exists as its own entry. The LTSS is a Troops selection that may not be used to fulfill the Compulsory Troops selection. The LTSS carries Special Weapons, the Devastator Squad carries Heavy Weapons. 

ALL members of Tactical Support Squads carry Special Weapons, and must be equipped uniformly (ie. all Flamers, all Meltas, all Plasma). The idea again is to convey the tone of the era - there are enough Astartes and enough toys to go around for them to be running around in groups of dedicated toy-bearers.

The background is that Legion Tactical Squads are generalists while the Tactical Support Squads provide specialized firepower depending on the foe they deploy against.

Curious about the reasoning behind this. Was it the breaking of the legions into chapters that forced the tactical squads to begin to carry heavy weapons and support weapons? Which really gave "tactical marines" the tactical ability to be tactical?

Aye it would've made sense just calling them Legionnaire Squads but ohwell - but yes pretty much after the breaking of Legions on Chapters there was less equipment to go around, much of the ancient weapons/armour had been destroyed or left in a terrible state by one side or another and there simply weren't enough men to be carrying 10 of everything, be it kit that stayed around (melta/plasma/flamer/las) or kit that has since disappeared (volkite and enhanced plasma/melta/las) so they spread the weapons thinner giving them more tactical flexibility, after all it does mean that even if 1 brother is OOA in the battlefield another can pick up his weapon and keep fighting.

You can use Fury of the Legion with bolt pistols and then charge. I may have been thinking about World Eaters a lot recently, which is why I read that rule very carefully. whistlingW.gif

While we're on the subject of Tactical Squads, could someone lay my mind to rest about an issue that's been bugging me....

Tactical Sergeants, and Veteran Sergeants for that matter, don't have the "Infantry (Character)" profile, unlike their 40K counterparts. Is this correct or am I missing something elsewhere that would enable them to take part in challenges?

ooooh I like that tongue.png Fury with pistols, that sounds great for WEs and CC Sallies alike. Plus what's better than a mass charge preceded by a hail of bolter shells??

Justaerin and Abbadon deep striking? Thats seems to be pretty good ;) Lupercal, Lupercal.

They are characters facmanpob.

But where does it say that in the book? In the army list section they don't have the usual "Infantry (Character)" profile, they are just labelled as "Infantry".....

But where does it say that in the book? In the army list section they don't have the usual "Infantry (Character)" profile, they are just labelled as "Infantry".....

Never mind, FW clarified it on their Facebook page earlier today....

Hi, they are indeed characters. At the time Betrayal was written the layout for the unit entries for veteran sergeants etc. had not been finalised. Character types on page 63 of the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook mentions that 'characters' belong to squads and have a separate profile, but not a separate entry. This applies to all the unit sergeants in Betrayal.

They really need to add this to the FAQ

I guess they were thinking people would just assume and go on treating them as characters as quite a few Night Lords did when thinking about the Nostraman Chain-glaives in their army lists.

That was my starting point until I suddenly noticed that they didn't have the character unit type ..... Cue a few hours wondering if everyone was playing it wrong or I'd missed something... :P

Never mind, FW clarified it on their Facebook page earlier today....

Hi, they are indeed characters. At the time Betrayal was written the layout for the unit entries for veteran sergeants etc. had not been finalised. Character types on page 63 of the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook mentions that 'characters' belong to squads and have a separate profile, but not a separate entry. This applies to all the unit sergeants in Betrayal.

They really need to add this to the FAQ

That was me who asked the question :P

They will add it to the FAQ eventually.

Archived