Savage Midnight: Armored Up an Rolling Heavy for ETL-Pg.109

Flint13

Instantly thought of this.  God, that would be perfect.  But pro-level sculpting would be mandatory.  May be best to shoot for an eye, or a mouth.

Not necessarily Firepower-- just find an appropriately open hand bit for the staff's head-- and then either cutting a face/head to fit or making a press mold would probably do the trick just fine.   An eye would probably be easier to do though, just take a bead and put it in the palm, and sculpt an eyelid around it. 

Alright, I got this. Step One - laugh maniacally. Have you laughed? Good! Now onto Step Two! Cut away a one-third section from the ring at the top. Cut it so there's an asymmetrical gap in between sections. Step Three - Using whatever bitz you have at hand, make a small spar projecting from the top of the staff, and put an orb on the end. Make sure the Orb doesn't go past the edge of the inside of the staff head. 
Staff should look like a larger version of this - 
http://www.bitzbox.co.uk/images/empire_wizard_staff_top_1_large.jpg

Step Four! Parchments strips, running the length of the staff, down to just past/over his hand. I'd do at least one on the staff, and maybe one or two running from where his shoulder meets his torso, attached right at the edge of the pauldron, al'la Ahriman. 

(Optional) Step Five - Trim the horns down a par or completely off from the helmet. Add a strip of plasticard or other bit that you might have to the center of the forehead, going up just past the helmet ridge. Fill in the center slit on the helmet with GS, creating a either a hard edge or going completely smooth. 

No idea if you're going for Great Crusade, Heresy, or post-Heresy, but I hope the suggestions help.

Edit - For his base, if you have sort of weird-looking critter, I'd put it on his base as his tutelary. One of my favorite bitz for stuff like that is a plastic Nurgling body, with the head cut away. Put a bird, crocodile or snake head there, fill in any Nurgly-gaps, and it looks pretty swell.

• 2 weeks later...

Good Evening everyone.

Thank you so much for all the lovely suggestions and helpful critiques along the way. Like most things I prepare for the future, I end up getting too excited and painting them anyway... Much like his student and familiar from earlier on, this project was going to be my entry for the XV March of Legions... But I still had a blast painting him and his tutelary. But, on to the business!

So two questions for everyone...

1.) How did I do with my take on Ashur-kai Qezremah, the Pale Seer of the Tlaloc?

and

2.) Who should I tackle next from the Talon of Horus gang? biggrin.png

"If you cared for the lives of your men and thralls, perhaps you should have reconsidered your ill-advised mockery of the enemy commander when he offered you mercy."

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/537/53kUG4.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/901/yrF6Hq.jpg

"A shred of sentience. Firefist will be entirely at home."

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/540/bAXago.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/661/nFwccu.jpg

Replies!

@ Firepower - Oh yay! I was worried I was being a bit lame leaving his staff as is. Imma totally steal that suggestion for another sorcerer I have in mind though...

@ Dantay - How about now he's in full color?

@ Quixus - Oh, that Ankh is a great idea! I think that's going in my next attempt at a XV March of Legions entry! biggrin.png

@ Arkangilos - I do too.

@ Slipstreams - Lazy is a subjective term, haha. How'd the helmet come out sans horns?

@ Firepower x2- Since corrected!

@ Augustus - Third Slipstreams, second Firepower ^_~ How'd he come out?

@ Dantay - Oooohhh... that's creepy. Imma steal that too.

@ SanguiniusReborn - Glad I left his staff as is then. How did his helmet come out?

Oh, I totally have an idea for one of the ToH gang with one of those deathmasks... not Ashur-kai though biggrin.png

@ Grandmagus - A batwinged skull would be awesome for a 90's Night Lord sorcerer! I kinda want to do a hard core 90's nostalgia chaos marine now...

@ Krieg - Ah... I so want to do that diorama idea now...

@ Recon - Still think it looks good by itself?

@ Chaplain - Oh yeah, I'm definitely trying that at some point.

@ Salvation - OMG that is PERFECT for an idea I have later down the road. Thanks for that!

Thanks again for all the awesome responses folks. It always floors me how much support everyone is happy to make with!

He is absolutely wonderful Flint! That familiar works so well. My only - very small - gripe is the way he grips his helmet: It somehow looks like it's just about to slip from his grasp. Maybe it would still be possible to move it upwards a bit, making it look more like it's actually held in his hand?

As for your second question. Firefist, please -- but you probably suspected that ;)

The Solar Priest.

Feedback: Not feelin' the blue trim on this one. I think they can do with some serious trimming down. I don't remember the bird myself, so this might be what it should be, but it looks like an extension of the armor, like ornamentation, rather than a living (or otherwise) thing come to roost.

Nice gold.  My one complaint would be the mud (or given the base, more likely just dirt) on his cape.  It has a very distinct border, but you'd expect dirt to have a more blurred edge to it.  Perhaps a bit of very light drybrushing along the edge of the brown would help, but more likely the edge of the previous layer would still show through, and you'd be left with something particularly strange looking.  I had the same thing occur once or twice, though for the life of me I can't remember when, now.

As for who's next, Firefist?  I'd consider Gyre, but really that'll more or less just be a black wolf with white eyes.  Not much to work with there beyond posing and her base.

Evening guys!

@ Krieg - Nah. I got dared plenty in my cheerleader days. I'm now impervious to dares happy.png

@ Recon - Excellent! That sounds kinda like Ashur-kai should.

@ K-Sci - Funny you should mention Lheorvine (Don't call him Firefist...) Ukris.

Who do you think wore it better? biggrin.png
Still need to find a good backpack for him, drill the bolter barrel and add a few chains, but mostly there.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/537/mt9Vkc.jpg

or

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/537/gJrS1p.jpg

@ Conn - Trimming down like... not as bright?

Ah, Tokugra. In typical A DB style, I only had the vaguest description of a "nattering raven" to go off of. S'the only raven I could think of happy.png

@ Firepower - Like this Gyre? biggrin.png

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/537/tXsLD7.jpg

@ Recon x2 - Glad to hear it! Since we're on the topic, how about Lheor?

That'd be the one, yup. I just pop in and read the latest posts once in a while. I don't do research laugh.png

Now, if you were a celebrity like me, I might put in the effort.

Yes, that will haunt you always. devil.gif

Also, Ragged Knight?

Ukris looks amazing, Flint! The only thing I'd suggest would be a skull faced helmet.

The Seer turned out really well. The blue looks great and the glowing eyes on the bird are excellent. Nice tattoo on the head too :tu:

Something about Ashur-Kai seems... off to me. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I think that it's the fact that I always viewed him, more than any other Space Marine, as more of a scholar and less of a warrior. He should be stooped and mystical, still a living weapon, but one past his prime. Your version is an amazing miniature (as always), but at least to me, it's not the White Seer.

Now, on Lheor, he looks good. I will overlook the fact that you skipped his chest aquila because it's a nice model (people always seem to disregard that little detail about him), but other than that (and the above-mentioned skull helm), he's a perfect Firefist.

Also, Valicar the Graven next. No one's done him.

Wasn't the White Seer the albino?

EDIT: I didn't realize Flint had finished him. I dunno, he looks like a decent cross between mystic and warrior with that "Moses parting the Red Sea" vibe he's got.

Lheor is looking great, Flint! I second the awesome idea of tackling the Ragging Knight next! I wouldn't even have thought of that...

Valicar the Graven is that Iron Warriors chap minding that space station, right? He would be a very cool candidate as well! Heck, you should just build and paint the entire Dramatis Personae of the book and be done with it ;)

Was browsing KrautScientist's awesome thread of Khorney goodness and came across this guy he made:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/3/22/697872-Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Khorne%2C%20Khorne%27s%20Eternal%20Hunt%2C%20Kitbash.JPG

Is it me or is that helm just made for Lheor?

Nice Lheor so far ! Not sure about his faceplate though. And great Ashur-Kai !

I'm hoping you have Sargon or Falkus next on your list of awesome stuff smile.png.

If you do Sargon, a meat puppet on the base is mandatory :)

Ashur-Kai looks good very nicley painted, only nitpick would be the helm on the side looks a bit off. I think you could have placed it a little higher. But that's only a small thing.

Lheor looks very badass, can't wait to see him painted.

Archived