Savage Midnight: Armored Up an Rolling Heavy for ETL-Pg.109

Flint13

• 2 weeks later...

Oh wow, it's been a little while. Well solace in the fact I haven't been idle. Thanks for all the awesome feedback on Ashur-Kai and Lheore. Speaking of whom...

Just need to get a backpack sorted and he should be good to go. Feel very free to yell helpful things at him before he catches primer happy.png
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/913/rMGg3y.jpg

After I get his backpack sorted and him all dolled up in blood and brass, I'll get on to my next project, the Ragged Knight! I think I have a decent conversion idea sorted out for him.

@ Recon - Thanks! I really have a thing for out of place World Eaters, so Lheor kinda spoke to me. My very first XII legion models were a librarian coven after all biggrin.png

@ Firepower - Haha, I will keep that in mind. Ragged Knight coming up right after this!

@ Kizzdougs - (First, I want you to know my Ipad keeps wanting to autocowreckt your name to kiss doug, just fyi) Second, how does this skull helm look? Just had it laying around since it's my least favorite of the Terror Squaddies.

Thanks! I am surprised that my green mini-osl comes out hella better than my blue, but I've been doing the green far less often...

@ Black_out - Will do! I dunno if my modeling skills are up to in-action skull regurgitation, but his base will definately have a few gross daemon-hairball bits biggrin.png

@ Firepower x2 - I know right?

@ Psycho - I can see that. I tried for the scholarly aspect as much as possible with the scroll/book combo, staff and as passive a pose as I could get him in.

How does Lheor look with his brand new chest aquila?

Valicar is a pretty good choice... I was going to try for him and the machine mistress in one fell swoop.

@ Kol - Indeed. I painted him the same way I do my true-kin eldar's skin tones and with red eyes. How'd he come out?

@ K-Sci - The entire Dramatis Personae may be a bit of a steep order, but I'll do my best. I know I wanted to do a lot of the lesser focus characters... Not going to lie, I've already got the parts set aside for Tzah'q biggrin.png

@ Midnight - Thanks! I'll bring him out as soon as all his pieces arrive.

@ Retributis - Ah yeah... I really want that Khorne set for all the amazing conversion bits it would provide. A little bit out of my price range at the moment though.

@ Vesper - How does his new skull-helm sit with you?

Oh Sargon is definitely on the short list, don't you worry biggrin.png

@ Firepower x3 - Will do!

@ Salvation - How's he look now? Haha, I don't exactly remember where the bird is from... its something from the fantasy range, but it's been kicking around my bits box for literal years.

Lheor looking a little more fluff-precise now?

@ Vesper x2 - Yep yep, Tokugra. Still clueless on its origins though.

@ Hydra - Ah yeah, he does look a little like he's about to drop it. I can fix that pretty easily though. Hows updated Lheor looking?

@ Salvation x2 - Apologies I can't be a little more specific... I'm thinking its from the Ogre kingdoms range... like a crow that sits on a flagpole or some such.

Haha, I'll know who you're talking to if I ever see 'kiss doug' :P

The skull helm is looking pretty awesome! The actual helmet itself looks a little narrow in comparison to the Khorne icon head piece, but there isn't much you can do about that. 

Looking forward to seeing him painted :tu:

In regards to the future possibility of a mid-regurgitation pose, it could be rather simple, if you instead make it immediately-post regurgitation.  If he's hunched or low in some way, having a long tongue hanging down to or nearly to the ground beside a corroded helmet, along with some gratuitous vomit-style painting, will get the point across fine I think.

I'm gonna guess you're already planning to make him a throne of butchered marines.  If that's the case, giving him a lousy slouching posture would be enough to pull that off.  But a lot of this really depends on how big you make him.  The book seems to put him somewhere between a Bloodthirster and Bloodletter in size, leaning towards the former.

Evening folks! Nothing super exciting, but here's Lheore's backpack and rear shot. Going to sand the GS a bit to neaten as soon as its dry, but hopefully I can pull off that gross daemon flesh (albeit a much smaller amount) that I used with Argel Tal a few pages back

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/905/Wo0YwH.jpg

Replies!

@ K-Sci - Thanks! That's pretty steep praise coming from the master of Khorne Konversions :D

Yeah, while I absolutely love the artwork of Lheor, the horned headdress thing is just a bit too big for my taste. I thought this slight  more reserved helm could work while retaining Khorne-ness.

@ Kiss Doug Kizzdougs - Funny enough, the NL helm is the exact same width as the 'crusher helm that it replaced. It was actually a super simple conversion to clip out the old one and just slot the new terror squad helm in place. That being said, I think I'm going to GS the join there to make it look a little more solid.

@ Atia - Thanks girl! Glad to hear my po-mo interpretation helps :D

@ Firepower - Glad to hear it! I'm hoping the pile of dead stuff he's standing on will help with any height discrepancies. Truth be told, the size thing was what was causing the most problems when I sat down to try to figure out how I wanted to build the ragged knight. Some of the Khorne Wrathmongers from fantasy looked the part, but were too small. The FW Khorne daemon prince is something that would probably be closer to size, but not heavily armored enough and I'm not a good enough GS sculptor to armor him up yet.

Anywho, I'm going to try to use this bro as a base since he's bigger than a Wrathmonger, suitably daemony and Khorne as all hell, then use the dead pile of marines to boost him vertically a bit. Obviously going to loose the goofy axe flails though. Plus that sweet topknot will give me a head start on Telemachon :D

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/673/CzLOnA.jpg 

Hm, gonna replace the head with something more demony?  The whole regurgiskull thing probably won't fly with what he's got going on now.   But he's in such an action pose that puking (a fairly static activity in most cases) probably won't be something you could easily portray regardless. 

Still, I do love that model.

'That's for lying to me,' said the World Eater. 'It was nothing like teleportation.'

In the middle of reading The Talon of Horus and read that line earlier. Lheor is now my favorite character.

He's going to look sweet painted up.

Morning all! 

Lheore is coming along quite well, his final matte coat is drying as we speak. In the meantime...

I am now equipped to build what may be the most challenging model of my lil project.

Here lies a (piecemeal) Ragged Knight :D

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/911/bgvfEm.jpg

Replies!

@ Firepower - Well, what I'm thinking (if my GS and surgical xacto skills are up to it) is to remove Skarr's chin and graft that bloodletter's bottom jaw and tongue into place under the helm. I may have to stick to a pile of gross body parts :D

@ Augustus - Thanks! Lheor is tied with Telemachon for my favorite of the ToH gang, so I wanted to do him justice. 

@ Krieg - I feel like Lheor fulfills the same "knock the main character down a peg" roll that Xarl did in the Night Lords trilogy. As such, I love them both bunches.

@ Salvation - Glad to hear it! I had it just lying around, but I'm surprised it was such a good fit (both inside the Khorne crest and thematically).

Hope your search yields helpful results!

Hmm, well, if you're gonna go the Violater-jaw method, you may want to look at the Lizardmen Temple Guard sprues from WHFB.  There are a couple of bitz in there which are just long jawbones.  One on either side, 'opening' horizontally, a simple greenstuffed flap serving as a 'chin,' and a long, freaky tongue hanging out...simple in theory.  Sorta like making a man-sized Mawloc.

Considering the guy is swallowing Marines nearly whole, and that he's a demon to boot, a somewhat disproportionate, freakish set of chompers seems like something you could get away with.  By contrast, the demon head there has a mouth that's roughly the same size, just open rather than closed.  

Could never quite picture how the Ragged Knight looks in my mind. I might have to read that part again when I finish the book. All I know is that it was a cool scene. laugh.png It'll be interesting to see your take on it.

Are you going to have cuts in him that shows eyes, faces and hands? I definitely remember that part. lol

"It seemed likely to get someone's attention." 

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/540/7pvG2P.jpg

"Tell your pet it can keep that one."

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/538/gJncI0.jpg

"I'm with the Tizcan, but if you surrender now, perhaps I'll be merciful."

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/538/lMpU9X.jpg

"Forgot about him. He's not so pretty now."

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/661/x4nZhn.jpg

"Don't call me Firefist."

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/661/7WTLoZ.jpg

Oh wow, that is outstanding, he looks so... Angry.

Not sure if he plans to shoot me or bludgeon me to death with his big-ass heavy bolter

Outstanding!!

Very nice work on the brass/bronze. It gets a bit muddy with the skull-exhausts on his backpack, though.

The red is also very well done, but again, it gets a bit chunky on his right pauldron. Somehow I feel like that's deliberate, but I can't tell what the purpose would be. But while I would never admit that you do Templars as well as me (cuz you don't, so there!) you definitely have a much better relationship with red than I do. I will have to rectify that failing on my part...verymad.gif

Really should go back and sharpen up those black highlights, too. You've got the experience for it now ;)

With that nitpickery complete, I do think it's a solid model. I'm only now seeing some little touches that I missed before, like the chain on his chest piece. Very clever modelling work all around.

I've been remiss Flint, I have been watching but not commentating - I'm a bad hobby-bro. My apologies.

So, Lheor looks, well, like a boss. A big fat angry boss. He's quite nicely squat and wide. Suits him. Your painting seems to have developed a lovely loose, almost scratchy style over these last few Chaos conversions, which I quite frankly love - it certainly suits these models and is a nice visual contrast to your cleaner Templars. In a way, it's making these characters more like pieces of art rather than gaming figures, which I guess they are really.

And you're clearly getting better and better and more confident with your skills as well - for me personally, this guy is leaps and bounds ahead of your earlier Luna Wolves characters.

Looking forward to seeing the Ragged Knight - considering our little brainstormer about what to use, I reckon you've made the perfect choice - I was even aware stuff like that had come out, that's how out of touch with GW I am now.

Anyways, TL-DR : looks the shizz, will comment more

Lheor looks fantastic Flint, great work on the helmet especially (just had to sneak a bit of 8th Legion in there didn't you?). It's really refreshing to see a Khorney Marine armed with something other than the tired and played out chainaxe and bolt pistol combo, I like that he uses a heavy weapon instead, it reminds me of the old "Khorne's Teeth" Havocs that ran around with Heavy Bolters and Autocannons. :)

Not sure if he plans to shoot me or bludgeon me to death with his big-ass heavy bolter

Both, he'd blow your legs off at the knees with the Heavy Bolter than club your helpless, screaming form into paste with it, t's the best(worst?) of both worlds! :D

Archived