Savage Midnight: Armored Up an Rolling Heavy for ETL-Pg.109

Flint13

I would go for the middle guy :)

The lighter one would fit for Blood Angels or Thousand Sons though!

And yeah, Flint also makes metallic Word Bearers? Awesome ^,^

If you want the tweaked "official" colour scheme, definitely the middle one. Although I do wonder what happened to the way the Word Bearers used to look, with a fairly different red and without the black pauldrons ...

That said, the metallic recipe seems to work rather nicely. Great job!

Definitely the middle!

If you wanted to go a little darker you can always put down the black metal as a base and then do a zenithal with the gungrey before the clear reds. Same if you wanted to go a little lighter, gungrey first followed by steel. It's a whole extra step but when you're airbrushing in batches it doesn't feel like too long.

Haha, awesome. Thanks for the feedback, guys and girl! I'll admit I made an itty bitty modification on the original FW scheme. My metallics aren't rub n buff, for obvs, but also instead of Tamiya clear red, I went with Minitaire Ghost in a color called "fresh blood." I really like it compared to the Tamiya. For one, it doesn't get me high if I forget my airbrush mask biggrin.png

But also, it isn't nearly as finicky, and is way (way way way) more forgiving with how its applied.

So, secondary question. My allied list is going to be a Burning Lore Chaplain, some Gal Vorbak, a tactical squad, a plasma tactical support squad and a Spartan. My tactical squad is going to be in traditional clotted blood red. The plasma squad I want to do in veterans' black. How does this look for a 90 min marine? Also, helm black or silver?

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/907/vMVMg2.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/903/5uI2dn.jpg

I'm not 100% there with the scripture yet, so any suggestions are super helpful. He needed something to break up the black though.

Replies!

@ Firepower - Ah, if only I were a subtle woman biggrin.png

For serious though, I'm trying a Zenithal version to see if I can actually work some highlights in there.

@ Atia - Thanks girl! You know I'm all about some red and black.

@ K-Sci - I'm actually curious about that myself. I do like the "clotted blood" of the (original) pre-heresy scheme a bit more than the "muddy blood" of the 40k variety. And thanks!

@ Pyscho - I'm afraid they aren't terribly interesting. Just a mix of 180 or so GW cultists and WHFB beastmen with a couple FW renegade militia for squad leaders and rogue pskyers.

@ LYD - A great idea and one I'm currently trying to experiment with. Thanks for the idea! So far it's kinda difficult for me to gauge the correct coverage, but rest assured I'm working diligently!

Nice work for only 90 minutes of painting. wish I could be able to do that(I'm sloooow). lol

I like his helmet and the silver on it.

I echo this. Your 90 minutes would take me 3 hours at least. Infuriatingly good work.

Thanks guys!

Since I've had approximately all the questions over my metallic red recipe, I put together a tutorial that hopefully answers them all in one fell swoop.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/317970-flints-tiny-tutes-4-the-blood-of-loyalist-lapdogs/

Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

Evening bros. I need a few opinions on this. I really want some Word Bearers for allies for my Cult Horde. Which shade of red works the best? I'm partial to the middle one myself.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/910/u7FR9y.jpg

I've heard that FW's metallic red scheme for the Word Bearers described as "too fiddly" before. I can say that is defs not the case. All three of those guys were stupid easy to do, and I think they all look pretty awesome. Plus I really like the duality of the new B@C minis with the old school clotted blood metal scheme. Anywho, let me know what you think!

Replies!

@ Barabbas - That's from the Alpha Legion helms. I love all of them, but that one in particular is my favs.

@ Lokkorex - That's exactly what it's a kitbash of. I never liked the spindly little legs and arms of the FW Castellax, but I don't like the silly dome helm of the Kastelan. They look a lot more solid with just different limbs.

@ LYD - Thanks man! I will admit (as sweet as Dantioch is) I am always drawn more to the idea of traitors from the traditionally loyalist legions. The Ravenguard and White Scars just seem so perfect for defectors.

Should have checked here earlier... my bad. pirate.gif

I'd go for the dark-most - the one to the right... But the middle one is also great - just a bit more... mainstream.

Your work is a great inspiration Flint!

• 4 weeks later...

"Why do you do that, Templar? Are you afraid of dropping your sword?"

~Jubal Khan, Lord of Summer Lightning, The Deafening Silence Before the Thunder, The Swift Death that Comes with Laughter

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/911/hq9rAn.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/907/ViwXzD.jpg

Are. You. :cuss ing. KIDDING ME?!?! Throne, that is badass. Well done, Flint.

• 2 weeks later...

Morning guys!

Just painted my first Night Lord in like six months for the March of Legions. It didn't feel right to not post him here.

++Audio-log, GH382. Sub-32: 1.768.008.M31++

Authorized, Gamma-Espilon-Tau-Rho-Epsilon-Kappa.

Record Engage:

Warden-General Harlon Locke - "Tell me of your time before you came to the legion. There must have been a time when you were... not yet disillusioned."

Prisoner 6L914T13 - "But of course. Like all the other children, I wanted to grow up to become a mighty Astartes. I could crusade amongst the stars, bringing peace and Imperial enlightenment to the poor, lost colonies of humanity."

HL - "And what happened, prisoner?"

P6 - "The Thirteenth wasn't recruiting."

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/921/IOVjS3.jpg

HL - "When did you know you had the gift?"

P6 - "The Coven wytches wracked it out of me. Seven hundred sixty two hours and forty seven minutes until it manifested again. Stronger than they had expected too."

HL - "Yes... we have records of your first... escape."

P6 - "I think I bled at least three of them. They were looking forward to putting me through the rest of the induction process."

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/923/L4xULy.jpg

HL - "But you survived the induction and were initiated into the Librarium."

P6 - "That wasn't a question. It would have been a stupid one."

HL - "No... it wasn't. But your gift. It was rare among the Covens of the Eighth, was it not?"

P6 - "They said it was my Terran blood. Or the years of eating dung and irradiated rat carcasses. Honestly it could have gone either way."

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/923/OXTvug.jpg

HL - "But you came to blows with some of the Coven. There were attempts on your life. They feared your power?"

P6 - "Hardly. The Dreameater wytches had been scrying and divining for decades before I came to them. I was a young idiot."

HL - "Yes, you were one of the last of the Terran induction. But why did you cause such a problem among the ranks?"

P6 - "The Coven was old and set in its ways, but even in a Nostraman heart, there is still a sort of twisted pride. There were several ambitiously martial pre-cogs among them. They hated that I was too fast to for them to cheat their way to third blood."

HL - "Your brothers made multiple attempts on your life because you beat some of them in sparring matchs? That sounds ludicrous."

*** Log records pause of roughly twenty seconds***

P6 - "Are you positive you've actually read my file?"

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/922/ocgaBJ.jpg

HL - "Prisoner, I haven't seen a single indication that you are even fit for a psych-stab certification, much less release. Can you give me any reason whatsoever not to have you disposed of to save the cost to my facility of keeping you alive?"

P6 - "If I was released, I'd go back to murdering my worthless kin, or any bastard sorry enough to be standing between me and one of them at the time. Seeing as that's why I'm in these... charming accommodations... no. Not a single one."

HL - "Yes, well, unfortunately for absolutely everyone involved besides yourself, the order comes from far higher in the Imperium's command structure than I am at liberty to disclose."

P6 - "Or comprehend."

HL - "Quite. Your trappings have been removed to a secure location two miles from the facility's south gate. You are to proceed straight to the designated location and await further instructions."

P6 - "And the wytch-shackles?"

HL - "They will be removed upon your departure from the South gate. Any attempt to harm a warden, any overtly hostile action or attempt to manifest your gifts before you reach said designated location, and you will immediately be put down by snipers. Am I clear?

P6 - "As an Ultramarine's conscience."

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/923/sTYqYv.jpg

~Ko'satha Sar, 8th legion Librarius, Division Biomanticus

Replies!

B1 - Sadly, not until the Vth's March of Legions. Jubal was a super fun one off happy.png

Hyenas - Thanks man! He came out surprisingly well for as quickly as I painted and assembled him.

Prisoner 6L914T13 - "But of course. Like all the other children, I wanted to grow up to become a mighty Astartes. I could crusade amongst the stars, bringing peace and Imperial enlightenment to the poor, lost colonies of humanity."

HL - "And what happened, prisoner?"

P6 - "The Thirteenth wasn't recruiting."

Almost sprayed my coffee all over my monitor over this one tongue.png.

Evening guys. Thanks for all the lovely replies!

@ Haelim - Haha, thanks man. I had one good e-buddy compare my Night Lords fluff to Joe Abercrombie in space (ie the blackest black humor). Which is something I strive to replicate every time I write. 

@ Lokko - Thanks! See above ^_^

@ Quixus - Possibly! Or possibly just a jerk who was lucky enough to have already been killing the right people :D

@ Psykic_Scribe - Thanks! I do my darndest. 

@ Salvation - I wanted to get in some bronze practice with these Vallejo liquid metals I just picked up. Glad to hear they came out well. I wanted Ko to be a little "louder" as a Night Lord, thus the bronze details like the terror mask, the red spot colors and the black trim.

@ Fire golem - Me too! Glad to hear I strike the right notes. 

Archived