Savage Midnight: Armored Up an Rolling Heavy for ETL-Pg.109

Flint13

new guy is looking cool!

the blue lens contrast is really nice and as a son of the sunless world, i hate him for using a chainglaive :wink:

my one nitpick is the mold line on his head...

Wow.  You're up to 100 pages.  And some of those actually have pictures of your models in them ;)

Good work on this guy.  I'm not sure how I feel about the base though.  A grey base for a black marine...I always urge contrast for bases. 

Afternoon everyone.

So I decided with a little bit of freetime left to me this weekend, I'd get a jump on the XV for the March of Legions. I'm 90% of the way finished with building the model himself, but I need a little creative advice.

**What would look good for the head of his staff?**

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/538/zQBelJ.jpg

Replies!

@ Slipstreams - Haha, so noted. Please review small, fluffy edit ^_^

Thanks! This one was my favorite of the five Death Company. His chest is stock from the Blood Angels DC sprue in the BA vs Tyranid kit that just came out (Shield of Baal, correct?)

@ Arkangilos - Thanks! Icy blues are my favorite color, and they're the one thing I feel like I can point at and say "I'm pretty good at that."

@ KBA - Appreciate it! Always glad to hear I inspire.

@ Dantay - Ah yes, the whites. I have started mixing just a teeny bit of Vallejo glacier blue into my topmost highlight of Dead White, and it makes all the difference in the world.

Well, the helm is the one "uniform" bit my Savage Knighthood DC share. The chainglaive (both his and the other DC with one) is up to your imagination.

Not like my original Bloody Nine had any Nostramans or anything whistlingW.gif

@ Helter - Thanks! I feel like I'm really starting to get the neater edge highlight thing down.

Ah, it's a mix of Dutch, Swahili and whatever Dan Abnett used for the Blood Pact scatted about from Traitor General on up.

@ Augustus - Heretical? ... I think you may have missed the sign on the door, Sir :P

@ Radiation - Thanks! I thought it looked a bit boring without the red saltire.

@ Kol - I'm as clueless as you. I just thought it sounded cool.

@ Wicced - Thanks! Rest assured it has been purged.

@ Firepower - Indeed. I have a whole company worth of pages :D

I suppose I should have gone a little more snow than stone eh?

@ Atia - Me too. You can take the girl out of the midnight clad...

@ Brother Jim - Glad to hear it! I was happy to try and bring a little more depth to an unfortunately often overlooked chapter that is totally badass.

I'll try to get a class shot together soon ^_^

I kinda like the staff as is, really.  But seeing as he's a filthy traitor and an all around evil doer, something typically equal to his ne'er-do-well status would be a head of some sort.  Oh, no, wait...a hand.  You always see heads at the end of these staffs.  But a hand, like a monkey's paw, but with even more evilishness...yes, yes I quite like that.  Not some armored or iron cast hand, mind you, but a proper furry, fleshy fetish from which fiery flameballs flicker forth for fiendish...phurposes?

Edit- For something that looks more exotic and mysterious than a human hand, I think a Genestealer claw or hand could make for an interesting shape.  Not sure how it'd fit, but worth a look.

Hmmm. not getting much of a Prosperine vibe from him.... You got any snakes (cobra's) or Tzeentchy symbols to go on the staff?

Like the Emperor Zurg helm though!!

Will the sorcerer be of the XV Legion? If so, maybe make the loop at the top into a spiky ankh. A scrab would probably also fit; an ouroboros as well, but at that scale that is going to be hard. Or something else entirely like tentacles as if they were coming from the portal that is the ring at the top.

@Firepower: I like the hand/claw idea.

If you can make an Ouroboros as the head of the staff, well, you know what my answer is.

As for a XV MoTL entry, you're way less lazy than I am, thats for sure, since I'm using Servin Loth as is :p

The Horned helm doesn't really seem to fit for Crusade/Heresy era Thousand Sons, tbh.

The zombie hands wouldn't fit in that ring. And they're anything but 'to-scale' laugh.png

Although, you could chop the fingers off at different lengths. It may look more arcane-y that way...probably not, though.

A hand with an eye in its palm or a triangle (pyramid) with an eye in it?

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/3/38826/1106336-0lefthand.jpg

Instantly thought of this.  God, that would be perfect.  But pro-level sculpting would be mandatory.  May be best to shoot for an eye, or a mouth.

Or this hand maybe from a bits supplier, Empire battle wizard set, a squiggle on each finger as a warding symbol??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Empire-Battle-Wizard-Left-Arm-A-/291386980355?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43d8047803

And this in the other hand, The flaming bowling ball of doom!!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Empire-Great-Sword-Command-Banner-Icon-A-Comet-/291411167810?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43d9758a42

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Empire-Battle-Wizards

Cobra staff top and gold wizard mask?????

Afternoon everyone.

So I decided with a little bit of freetime left to me this weekend, I'd get a jump on the XV for the March of Legions. I'm 90% of the way finished with building the model himself, but I need a little creative advice.

**What would look good for the head of his staff?**

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/538/zQBelJ.jpg

confused.gif Honestly Flint I don't think there's much we can suggest for his staff top given the small space to work with inside the halo ring, an orb of some kind would be the most obvious suggestion but I imagine you were looking for something more interesting or you'd have gone for that already. I've done a bit of looking around and I found a few bits that might work, a High Elf crystal staff head, a pair of scarabs from the Tomb Kings Warsphinx (though I'm unsure of the size), the masked head of an Empire Gold Wizard (minus the beard of course) and an impish-looking horned skull from the Wood Elf range.

So, if he's a Thousand Son than which of the Temple-Cults does he hail from? I can imagine a Athanaean Telepath or Pavoni Biomancer being quite popular if he's seconded to your Night Lords. Just imagine the terror he can cause by broadcasting horrifying voices into the minds of their foes, set foes aflame by boiling their blood, drive them to murder one another in paranoia or echo the VIII's armour by unleashing torrents of bio-electric lightning. devil.gif

Also, I have to agree with Slipstream and Augustus, I don't think the helmet works for a Son of Magnus, perhaps you could convert something more fitting? *thinks for a moment* Oh! ohmy.png How about this, a Sanguinary Guard Deathmask converted to resemble King Tutankhamun's Mask? smile.png

I think a bat-winged skull would look awesome for the staff. Like the VC grave guard banner top, something like that. But thats mostly because I like skulls.

(Being a loyalist I want to scream "AQUILA" but Im trying not to.. tongue.png )

EDIT: grammar...

I don't know, judging by the look the marine is giving I would think he'd have a hand giving the middle finger on his staff. tongue.png

SanguiniusReborn' mask idea would be cool.

Also from another thread if you ever decide to make a diorama involving Sevatar that should be it. Maybe have him sitting by a fireplace sharpening his blade...oh or standing all prideful and arrogant(I think they're the same thing) looking at those helms on the wall. :D

Archived