Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Squats on this Forum

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

TRIBUN

TRIBUN

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 304 posts

Hi,

I like to Show some of my Squats here in the hall of honour, but one rule of this Forum is: No Xenos!

But Squats are no xenos, they are transhumans, like the Astartes, not by genotech, but by Evolution.

What do you think?

Similar Problem: Are IG Players allowed to Show their Ogryns and Half...err ...Ratlings?

Grotsmasha

Grotsmasha

++ TORTOR PUMILI ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,880 posts

Sadly, if they are not covered by an Imperial codex, no dice. There was a thread like this one where Brother T (iirc) made it perfectly clear, but having said that, that clarification was prior to the sites includion of IG.

Cheers,

Jono

gallery_48988_6285_23120.png ETL_2018_Medal_02_Oath_Breaker.gif ETL_Medal_06.gifgallery_48988_10069_34672.png gallery_48988_11572_25584.pnggallery_48988_10069_10569.jpg

Check out my current and past projects HERE  Heralds of Devastation

Help fund the B&C : Buy a model painted by me

Brother Tyler

Brother Tyler

++ FIDELIS MILITUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 19,193 posts
The abhumans that are included as units/rules in Codex: Imperial Guard are allowed.

The Squats are another issue that we'll have to discuss among the mods/admins. While the Squats were abhumans (not transhumans) and would seem to fall under the same provisions as Ratlings and Ogryn, they were effectively removed from the game universe by the Tyranids. The last indicators we had were that the dwarves in space concept that the Squats represented was being resurrected as the Demiurg in Battlefleet Gothic, but nothing really ever came of that. Whether the Demiurg were xenos or abhumans was never really revealed. Both the Squats and the Demiurg have been mentioned in recent lore, but not as units/rules.

gallery_26_548_13550.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifgallery_26_548_4494.png

Azatoth

Azatoth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 367 posts

Well assuming that he plays Squats as IG under current rules, can he not present them as count as?

Edited by Azatoth, 30 October 2013 - 09:51 AM.

Growler67

Growler67

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,121 posts

Power Armor proviso aside, perhaps it would be prudent to wait until the Mods/Admis confer and contact him through this thread or PM.  Without a current rule set or Codex, my guess would be "no" but I'm not staff here so......

Just leave me some ammo, a little water.........and some chips if you got 'em.

Lysimachus

Lysimachus

++ LUMINARCHUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 2,035 posts

I  know someone who did some Squat conversions with WFB Dwarf bodies, IG arms, GS'd their chainmail into greatcoats and replaced helms with miner style hats. Used IG tanks, C:IG unit/weapon options, etc.

Looked very cool and on the basis that it's a count-as Imperium codex, I'd be happy to see stuff like that.

However, guess the problem is that fluff-wise, they're not associated with the IoM (when they were still alive, anyway!)

Edited by Strike Captain Lysimachus, 30 October 2013 - 12:29 PM.

Kurgan the Lurker

Kurgan the Lurker

++ INQUISITUS EXTERMINATI ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 18,582 posts

Well assuming that he plays Squats as IG under current rules, can he not present them as count as?

People tried to do this in the past with exo armour squats saying they were just their space marine army.

Conversion armies are fun but at what point do we say nope can't go there. People have tried similar things with Tau on here too.

We don't allow Gue'la units for example. We didn't allow exo armour squats back in the day either.

So it gets to be a question of drawing that line. We don't want to stifle creativity but we also have a very particular focus that we need to maintain.

The Cult of Orange -- None Can Withstand Our Color!
Duck Blind Miniatures - The website has been gone for a long time so I've put up a FaceBook page to show what photos I have left or may add in the future.
Duck Blind Minis IG - I do post on IG too but fair warning there are other things (mostly the gym) on here besides minis.
Kurgan's Twitter Feed

Kurgan's FaceBook Page

"And maybe the Traitor Legions would come to their senses, renounce the Ruinous Powers and return to the light of the Emperor." -- Ciaphis Cain on the likelihood of a Mawloc being scared off by a melta blast.

Selling off the PILE OF SHAME! Links to my ebay page for everything that is going up over the next 10 days:
Kurgan's Pile of Shame auctions

TRIBUN

TRIBUN

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 304 posts

Ok, thanks for clarification.

Veteran Sergeant

Veteran Sergeant

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,359 posts

The abhumans that are included as units/rules in Codex: Imperial Guard are allowed.

The Squats are another issue that we'll have to discuss among the mods/admins. While the Squats were abhumans (not transhumans) and would seem to fall under the same provisions as Ratlings and Ogryn, they were effectively removed from the game universe by the Tyranids. The last indicators we had were that the dwarves in space concept that the Squats represented was being resurrected as the Demiurg in Battlefleet Gothic, but nothing really ever came of that. Whether the Demiurg were xenos or abhumans was never really revealed. Both the Squats and the Demiurg have been mentioned in recent lore, but not as units/rules.

I don't know if the Tyranid thing was ever official, however, that seems to have been retconned by 6th Edition anyway, as Squats are mentioned in the rulebook as one of the abhuman races found in the Imperium.

I can't imagine GW ever brings back the Squats given their current business model. Just pointing out that technically the unofficial story about them being eaten by Tyranids seems to have been removed, or at least the idea that Squats were extinct has been changed. 

Nothing to do with the forum rules though, obviously. 

Marneus Calgar is referred to as "one of the Imperium's greatest tacticians" and he treats the Codex like it's the War Bible. If the Codex is garbage, then how bad is everyone else?

True Scale Space Marines - 31mm Space Marines Tutorial
lmnusighdfin.pngsig-tauorkcultist-fxfinlttr1.png
The Brief and Humorous History of the Horus Heresy                                                          Litanies of Hate & Discontent; Index Astartes: Invectors

momosgarage

momosgarage

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,257 posts

People tried to do this in the past with exo armour squats saying they were just their space marine army.

That was me

http://www.bolterand...-ie-exo-armour/

My citing Adeptus Mechanicus Squats in Exo-Armor, wasnt good enough at the time:

http://www.ninjabrea.../25/repair-man/

http://chaossquats.b...ude-squats.html

According to the B&C moderator thade my "appeal to authority falls on deaf ears"

The Demiurg are "Space Gnomes" because the Squats were "Space Dwarves" and Ratlings are "Space Hobbits".  The Demiurg are basically "fleet based" Squats that were born and have lived away from the original Squat Homeworlds for many generations

The Demiurg are "Space Gnomes" because the Squats were "Space Dwarves" and Ratlings are "Space Hobbits"

Tonal

Tonal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 105 posts
Well, the Squats are a official, not-extinct, race of abhuman Imperial citizens according too the newest rule book. Given their proud tradition of service in the Imperial Guard, close relationship with the Adeptus Mechanicus, multiple contributions to Imperial Technology, and their worship of the God Emperor and adherence too Imperial Law, I honestly don't see how they could be considered as anything but loyal and valuable members of the Imperium and this board.

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,247 posts
I have some ratling squat homo sapiens rotundus refugees serving as snipers in my IG army alongside beastmen homo sapiens variatus penitents.

I hope I don't need to grant them the Emperor's Mercy.

Kurgan the Lurker

Kurgan the Lurker

++ INQUISITUS EXTERMINATI ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 18,582 posts

That was me

http://www.bolterand...-ie-exo-armour/

My citing Adeptus Mechanicus Squats in Exo-Armor, wasnt good enough at the time:

http://www.ninjabrea.../25/repair-man/

According to the B&C moderator thade my "appeal to authority falls on deaf ears"

The Demiurg are "Space Gnomes" because the Squats were "Space Dwarves" and Ratlings are "Space Hobbits".  The Demiurg are basically "fleet based" Squats that were born and have lived away from the original Squat Homeworlds for many generations

Oh the decision on squats was long before you were ever here Momo. This was from back in the days of EZBoard B&C.

The Cult of Orange -- None Can Withstand Our Color!
Duck Blind Miniatures - The website has been gone for a long time so I've put up a FaceBook page to show what photos I have left or may add in the future.
Duck Blind Minis IG - I do post on IG too but fair warning there are other things (mostly the gym) on here besides minis.
Kurgan's Twitter Feed

Kurgan's FaceBook Page

"And maybe the Traitor Legions would come to their senses, renounce the Ruinous Powers and return to the light of the Emperor." -- Ciaphis Cain on the likelihood of a Mawloc being scared off by a melta blast.

Selling off the PILE OF SHAME! Links to my ebay page for everything that is going up over the next 10 days:
Kurgan's Pile of Shame auctions

Tonal

Tonal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 105 posts
I don't suppose any sort of progress has been made concerning the Squats' place here on the B&C? Assuming these are Imperial Squats being discussed, not Xenos-hugging pretender races such as the Demiurg and their ilk.

Squats_are_common.jpg

Brother Tyler

Brother Tyler

++ FIDELIS MILITUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 19,193 posts
There has been discussion, but we're holding off on a final decision because there are a couple of other issues that we'd like to deliberate on. Ideally, we'll make decisions on all of the issues in a way that ensures everything is considered and the final outcome is an integrated one.

DinoDoc

DinoDoc

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 833 posts

And the Squats clock is reset yet again.

Brother Tyler

Brother Tyler

++ FIDELIS MILITUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 19,193 posts
=][= DECISION =][=

Squats are approved.

Keep in mind, though, that they must be clearly WH40Kified. If a "Squat" army looks like they are hiding a book of grudges under something that barely resembles carapace armour, we may consider excising them.

Also, whether or not the Demiurg are actually Squats, or if they are simply a xenos replacement for the Dwarves in Space concept that the Squats used to fill, is yet to be determined. So the Demiurg remain prohibited for now (this really only affects our Battlefleet Gothic fans).

Please don't abuse this. We want everyone to be able to enjoy the hobby, but it takes time and effort for the mods to clean up the abuse. If we reach a point where too much mod/admin time and effort is wasted because people are abusing this, we'll kill the Squats again. Don't screw this up for everybody else.