Loyalists of the XIV: The tyrant's ruin and rival's fall

Thank you, sister. The Wilhelm will be a beast.

I have made a plan for the future of this army, something to follow when I start working on it again.

I like lists.

- I'll be rewriting much of the background for the Last Judgement itself. This break has given me a new ideas.

- Finishing the Contemptor is my first priority.

- The König Wilhelm

- The Commander, the Lion of Albia, will finally get his model.

- 3rd squad Charon. Veterans excelling in close quarters, trench fighters in mk III armour. I got inspiration for a few improvised trench weapons after reading a lot on WW1 lately (yes, I'm a Great War nut).

- About time I started painting the Cremator Guard I built in march/april/may. Need to figure out a colour scheme first.

- A tactical support squad with flamers (I'm pushing the chemical warfare theme to the max).

- The Grave Wardens and their leader Warden-Centurion Shabraste. He'll be a conversion based on Typhon.

Ambitious? Yes, especially when I also have my pyromaniac VIII legionaries and the Warriors of Chaos army I recently brought back to life.

Anyone remember the Cremator Guard?

gallery_73590_8946_58371.jpg

They have glared at me from their corner in my pain box since May and now I'm finally going to do something about them. I've been thinking of two possible colour schemes ever since I built them:

1. Paint them in blackened armour. The Cremators are elite Destroyers and this will give all my Destroyers a unified look. The downside is that it feels like I'll be doing the models and the detailing an injustice. Can't really explain it.

2. Paint them like the rest of the Death Guard. It will give me an opportunity to add better freehand markings and be more rewarding after the hell I had assembling the flamer. Downside is that they will look a little out of place with the Moritat they are supposed to be guarding.

Thoughts?

I would go with the rule of unified look and paint them in the good old destroyer colours, 'cause they are supposed to be elite destroyers, so they should be darkened (as it's seen in conquest, newer destroyer units still have the death guard colours, but veteran destroyers and these from the DG poison ships are blackened).

What rules are you going to use for them =)?

Edited by Atia

Blackened armour it is.

@ Atia: I agree, black is the Destroyer colour. As for rules, I have played with the thought of giving them a few homemade ones just for fun. Something like a superior chemical flamer, armour that offers better protection against flames and radiation, and special rules to show that they are dead men and guardians of the Moritat. I'll probably do it one day. I might also run them as Pyroclasts with a little houseruling, which is funny because they are everything the Pyroclasts are not meant to be.

@ Anaziel: Hmm, I'm not sure that would fit with the Death Guard's theme.

@ gogmagog: Thanks a lot!

@ Argent aquila: I could add some remains of green paint on the shoulder pads.

• 2 weeks later...

Let me introduce Eirikr Blood-Axe, Slayer of Kings and Kin, outcast of the VI Legion. I took the name from the second king of Norway, who killed many of his brothers to remain in power.

gallery_73590_8946_36856.jpg

gallery_73590_8946_36903.jpg

gallery_73590_8946_54648.jpg

All I can say of this charming Wolf's backstory is that he was exiled after murdering three of his brethren in a power struggle. He ended up with the Death Guard because his superiors wanted him to suffer the slow death of a Destroyer, but something didn't go as planned.

@ Anaziel: Thanks! It looks a lot more similar to a Dane axe this way, and I've never liked the two headed axe as it looks so impractical and over the top.

No better weapon than a Dane axe ;) Although a boltgun provides a good (and loud!) argument :P

@ Anaziel: I would take an axe over a bolter any day of the week. Must be the viking blood.

As any Dane I love close combat, but things that go boom are next on the list :D But anyways, I love that mini. Im interested in knowing his fluff, you call him an outcast, Im curious as to why.

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing new, just a reposting of 4th squad Thanatos to clear up the first post. Not sure if I have improved much since summer 2013.

4th Squad Thanatos

gallery_73590_8946_32367.jpg

Veteran-Sergeant Harkus

gallery_73590_8946_22939.jpg

Caleb Harkus is a Terran and was a veteran of the Dusk Raiders when the legion reunited with Mortarion. Calm, disciplined and an infantryman to the bone, Harkus is perhaps the best line officer of the Battalion with a deep knowledge of all the roles a member of the Death Guard is required to master, and therefore often given responsibility over the younger legionaries. Because of this, many call him "The Mentor". Harkus should have been part of the Legion's elite, but hasn't been promoted in over a century. The reason behind this stunted career, is a stubborness and unwillingness to part with the traditions of the Dusk Raiders that Harkus still values above those of the Death Guard. By the ones in Mortarion's inner circle, he is called "The Red-Handed Relic". But his skills on the battlefield and unflinching loyalty to the Commander can't be questioned.

Legionary Tolgahan

gallery_73590_8946_81701.jpg

Legionary Ishak Tolgahan is the second-in-command of Thanatos, best described as grim and cold hearted with a macabre sense of humour. Born on Barbarus years after the reuniting, Tolgahan proved himself early to be a deadly warrior and was marked with the Scythes by Mortarion after heroic fighting in the trenches during the Karos-Campaign. His marksmanship is only rivaled by the Huntsmen. Many in the Battalion see him as a future officer, but Tolgahan doesn't seem to care about such speculation. He lives to fight the enemies of Man, whatever the cost.