BB - Conversions/Sculpting: Luna Wolves Test Model 17/11

I use craft wire 20-24 gauge. I place a strand between two points and "wrap" wire around it as tight as possible. Flexibility depends on the wire material and thickness. You could always use some old wire laying around to make a test piece and then "press mold" it for GS I would imagine.

Not sure that helps at all. Just throwing an idea out there. Your work already looks far superior to mine as is :)

I use craft wire 20-24 gauge. I place a strand between two points and "wrap" wire around it as tight as possible. Flexibility depends on the wire material and thickness. You could always use some old wire laying around to make a test piece and then "press mold" it for GS I would imagine.

Not sure that helps at all. Just throwing an idea out there. Your work already looks far superior to mine as is smile.png

That, is a fantastic idea! I have no idea why I've never thought of actually using wire...to well, make wire. *facepalm*

Don't put yourself down! Your Nightlords are excellent!! I've lurked on this board a lot more than I've posted, though I should probably address that..

Thanks for the comment! smile.png

Just a little update tonight on the Reaver. I've sculpted one side of the collar. It's slightly raised in the image, so I'm going for a similar look; I might have to chop off the rear collar bit that comes stock with marines to fit this one better, but as it stands it's providing an excellent framework to sculpt from so it can stay for now.

The other thing I've done is start to build up the bit that protrudes out of the front and brackets the Eye of Horus. What I put in that part is anybody's guess at the moment, so I'm open to ideas. One must just remember that this is actually a Luna Wolf that I'm making, this image just looks too cool not to emulate.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c320/blissfulbrushes/Luna%20Wolves/Custom%20Reaver/DSCN1917_zpsb0d714e0.jpg

With regards to the Ultramarine, I've started detailing his chest. I've gone for a stylised Ultima symbol, following the curvature of the chest plate. Inside the 'U' will be a silver company marking 'I', while either side, the beginnings of which is visible on the right, is coming together. The legion markings will be sitting astride the Ultima symbol. Oh, and that hair has been purged since taking the photo!

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c320/blissfulbrushes/Ultramarines/Tactical%20Squad%20I/WIPs/DSCN1922_zps93a66617.jpg

Any comments, criticism, suggestions is more than welcome, as ever!

EDIT: I submitted the post, and it only published the first half, and none of the pictures. Anybody got any idea why? Oh, and how to I change the thread title?

Cheers,

Bliss.

Those are looking good BB.

Thanks Mr. Specter! I keep getting the urge to write 'spectre', it vexes me goddammit!

Just a baby update today..again, I've got some more of the collar done on the Reaver, debating whether or not to make it a bit higher though. Once I take a photo of it and stick a head in it we can decide!

The meat of this update it still the Ultramarine torso. I've got the main details of the chest plate in now. The X for the first half of the XIII is in, as is the company marking in the centre of the Ultima symbol.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c320/blissfulbrushes/Ultramarines/Tactical%20Squad%20I/WIPs/DSCN1925_zps8f08b881.jpg

All that's left is to neaten up a bit of the main body where it's got a bit scrappy from using a knife to cut bits of GS away and to even up the disparity between the two 'wings' of the Ultima symbol. Other than that, I'm fairly happy with it unless anybody's got any suggestions to add to it.

As ever, comments, criticism, questions etc. are welcomed!

There may even be another update tonight, depends how productive I feel ohmy.png

EDIT: I have no idea why the image has suddenly quadrupled in size...it wasn't like that before. I'll have to start the Photobucketus Crusade sometime...

eek.gif jawdrop.gif

I'll take that as a compliment tongue.png

Final update before bed then. I think I've found the 'sweet spot' when using greenstuff. I should think Google could have told me this, but I spend the first five minutes roughing out the general shape with what counts as my pencil for sculpting. The next bit is spent cutting the huge excesses of greenstuff away that I don't need. By the time this is done, I'm about 10-15 minutes in, and it's just at the right stage where it's not too malleable to be a pain to work with, but enough for you to be able to use clay shapers as well as metal ones to decent effect.

Anyhow..I didn't feel like doing today's Ultramarine so I tried to get the other cable (our right, his left) on the top of the Reaver, but it wasn't symmetrical at all. It turns out, after close examination, that this is because the arch in the middle of his chest is cock-eyed *insert swearword of choice*.

So, feeling disenfranchised and more betrayed than Loken by Horus I returned to Guilliman's rabble and started detailing a new chest plate.

The theme of this army is going to be very Roman because I'm a history student (for another two weeks anyway) and Rome is the period that wasn't offered at university that I really wanted to do. I thus Googled up this image:

http://www.wisdom-square.com/images/eagle-roman.jpg

and decided that I'd see if I could sculpt that on the chest plate. It turns out that I can (ish) though not the entire thing in one sitting for a variety or reasons, chiefly my slightly ADHD (undiagnosed, but the GF thinks I have it, and my record for sitting still at a task would seem to confirm this) nature, boredom and time. You have about 40 good minutes with GS, and let's just say that's not an hour job...

This is where I'm at at the moment:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c320/blissfulbrushes/Ultramarines/Tactical%20Squad%20I/WIPs/DSCN1927_zps915476ca.jpg

If we treat the 'smooth' bits almost as a basecoat you get an idea of what I'm trying to do. The image implies quite a lot of depth which is very hard (for me at any rate) to sculpt without actually using physical depth. I am, therefore, going to be adding another layer onto the head - because there was a tiny piece of plastic stuck in the GS right in that part which, when I was cutting the shape of the beak chose to rear its ugly head and mess everything up. Another layer to the main body, rounding it out a little bit more, and onto the legs which will be done as a relief to the bottom half of the stomach.

As far as the lightning bolt that it's clutching goes, I'm not sure yet.

Do I include it? Or think of something else to put in Edgar the Eagle's feet, or leave him hanging?

On a different note, is it possible to do a vow for two armies? I was going to do the Reaver as a SoH Centurion/Praetor and a combat squad of ultramarines.

Any comments/criticism, the usual tongue.png More than welcome, and thanks to everyone that has commented so far!!

I got my mate back home to take a decent photo of the first completed Luna Wolf, and he certainly looks better in a decent photograph! I've written some fluff for him too, because I'm procrastinating (this essay is hurting..)

It’s been a while I’ve been this exhausted, I thought wryly as I bisected yet another soldier. That said, I suppose, as I mused to myself, it has been a while since I fought another marine outside the cages.
It was over in in a few short seconds, the rush of ex-Imperial Army soldiers petering out as they met our blades and bullets, my recently repainted pearly white armour awash with blood and smoke.
It was then that the fight would begin again in earnest. We all knew this. The soldiers hadn’t stopped coming because they’d lost momentum. They’d stopped coming because their mission was to hold us up. It was our mobility that was causing the traitors so much trouble. Even now, after having heard the reports of Isstvan it was hard to believe, hard to call warriors who had been our brothers enemy. Harder yet to believe that they were camped outside our city walls attempting to lay waste to all that we held dear.
Now they came for us. Warriors of Iron. The Fourth. A melancholy breed indeed, but good in a fight. They die hard. Out of all of the legions, other than the World Eaters, it was the Fourth who surprised me least, they were always bitter, always angry. They were given the bad jobs and Perturabo wasn’t popular, always overlooked, mocked. It ground at their spirit, and then Olympia…we’d all heard about that.
They moved with perfect economy, bolters sweeping around corners, grenades thrown through entrances, Salamander, Iron Hand and Raven Guard kill trophies hanging from their belts, keen to add the Luna Wolves to their collections.
“Steady lads, give ‘em a volley then get your iron into them.” Sergeant Artos spoke confidently down the vox. “You know the drill.”
As they rounded that last corner we were waiting for them.
“Fire!” Artos roared.
Three fell, dead. One dropped wounded, his arm seared clean by a melta gun.
“Into them Venatores, for the Emperor and the honour of the legion!”
I took the first shot onto my chest, knocking me back with a wince of pain. Then I was among them, goring my blade up through the groin cabling of the first, my oath of moment flapping in the wind. I felt the blood wash up my chest. A quick squeeze of my blade’s trigger cleaned it of the detritus of war: mangled ceramite and muscle. The next came for me, with a short-hafted siege axe, his bolter empty.
I took the blow onto my shield, allowing the softer metal to catch and hold the head while I butted him and twisted my arm away from him. My other hand released the chainsword and reached for his belt, drawing and stabbing him through the throat in less time than it takes to tell. I was screaming, my face awash with blood as I wrenched the dagger out of his body.
Then, silence. Just the eerie whistle of the wind blowing away the smell of cordite and blood.
Twenty short seconds had left twelve dead marines, two of ours. Ten of theirs.
As I crouched by the dying Iron Warrior, sucking in oxygen I gasped, “welcome to Aesir traitor.”

+++

Siege of Aesir

+++

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c320/blissfulbrushes/Luna%20Wolves/1960156_10203250835097368_1532636177_n_zpse26be892.jpg

Since this model a lot has happened with regards to how I approach truescaling. From now onwards the chest will be a little bit smaller, and the legs, specifically the thighs, will be broader (everyday's a leg day!) because a lot of the comments that I've had have been that he needs to get squatting a bit more, so squat he shall!

For the marines I have that are on foot, I will be organising them into a Reaver army, and with the advent of this unbound malarky, I should be able to field some nice fluffy lists without having to have the two least mobile HQ choices holding up my line (Malgohurst, and a Master of Signals; neither of which can jump pack, or do what I want).
The next FW order that I make will depend entirely on whether I have a job for one, and if I do, how feasible it is to truescale Bikes. If it is, I want 60 Outriders.

That's all for now folks, there's a chance of a further update on the eagle chest plate, but the Reaver is doing my head in at the moment! Any comments, criticism etc. is more than welcomed!!

Me Again.tongue.png Nice Fluff send those dogs of the 4th to HELL!!!! . The Eagle, Wow a lot of detail.

Hey, it's all good, the more support the better! It was a hard deciding who was going to be the XIV Company's nemesis but I settled on Iron Warriors in the end.

Emperor's Children - They may have burnt their bridges with the Iron Warriors in Angel Exterminatus..

Iron Warriors - Not overly chaosy, just bitter, twisted. Perfect match for my bitter and angry Captain.

Night Lords - Didn't want my civvies getting pulled apart by a bunch of crazy psychos.

World Eaters - ^^ Also Shadow Crusade.

Death Guard - Colour scheme too similar to Luna Wolves tongue.png I also have a healthy disrespect for Papa Nurgle

Thousand Sons - Been curbed by Russ' puppies.

Sons of Horus - Too cliched.

Word Bearers - Shadow Crusade and I'm doing some Word Bearers elsewhere in the future..

Alpha Legion - You never know, my Luna Wolves may actually be Alpha Legion...

So I've committed to the ETLIII. I went for the rather ballsy approach. Massive vow by anyone's standards: a mighty 385points, 2 models.

My Reaver century Captain, and my Outrider Techmarine.

We've seen some GS work of the Reaver (Venatores in my Company), and it continues to his helmet:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c320/blissfulbrushes/Luna%20Wolves/Custom%20Reaver/DSCN1942_zpsd55fcf66.jpg

The picture hasn't come out very well, but it was even worse green...I just need to give him his plume and cabling on the side of his cheek and it's done. Not sure whether the vent at the top is staying though, may jazz it up a bit; I'm open to ideas on that front

Well good luck on your vow.

I shall need it! I haven't painted a model from start to finish since the start of the year, let alone two!

Some awesome work here since I last checked in. Those torsos are sweet.

Thanks brother, you should pop your head in more often then shouldn't you tongue.png

So I've done a bit more to the helmet. By bit, I mean a tiny bit lol. I've done the cabling on one side while I had some excess GS from the Reaver body, still, it adds a bit to it I think.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c320/blissfulbrushes/Luna%20Wolves/Custom%20Reaver/DSCN1945_zpsd8f3b115.jpg

Then there's the torso. It's still driving me mad. It's not symmetrical enough for my liking, so I might have to go and play with it again. This is where we stand as of tonight though.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c320/blissfulbrushes/Luna%20Wolves/Custom%20Reaver/DSCN1944_zpsd269671d.jpg

The Luna Wolves will march again soon enough!

As ever, any comments or criticism is more than welcome!

Great Job on the Helm.

Thanks for the support as ever!

A rather lacklustre update today I'm afraid. I've done the basic crest for the helmet but it's in no state to move to be photographed. A bit more work has also been done to the torso with the fancy eagle sculpt - the head, legs and body have now been done properly. All that remains is the wing and other half of the laurel...I say 'only'..

The only thing I have managed to photograph is the left arm for the Reaver. I'm going for the "Are you not entertained?" *Hurls gladius at passing punter* pose, with my addition being the left arm (his swordless arm) will be a bit straighter with the hand a bit more palm-down. If you take a palm facing forward as 12 O'clock, I'm going for about 2 O'clock (using forefinger as the marker). I want something in his hand, ideally a head, because I reckon I can get some awesome blood draining down his forearm, and blood makes everything better. Right?

There are two dilemmas that I face presently. First, how viable do people think that his arm being unarmoured from the elbow and lower would be? Perhaps partially armoured as if the vambrace has cracked and half has come off.

The other dilemma is that marines tend to be bald for helmet purposes, unless you're a Space Wolf who just hold their breath in the void, and Delvarus because he must have commissioned a rasta helmet for his dreads. This is a problem because what can my reaver be holding his victim's head by?! It'd be a bit of luck if the marine he killed had a full set!

Alternately I could just put a knife in his other hand and keep things simple..

So here's the arm. I didn't have any left arms on my desk to convert from and the only bit of a left arm I had was the shoulder from a prior conversion. The sprue with all the arms was on the other side of the room and I'd already been for a run...so y'know post-run laziness meant I'd do a full custom sculpt of the arm. It's still pretty rough at the moment, but a reasonable start IMO.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c320/blissfulbrushes/Luna%20Wolves/Custom%20Reaver/DSCN1949_zpsf784671d.jpg

Any comments/criticism is more than welcome! Anyone who can give some suggestions on those two dilemmas would also be welcome ^^

Until next time one and all. Glory to the Luna Wolves!

Actually there are lots of marine chapters with hair.

Wolves, Blood Angels, Night Lords and even Emperor's Children spring to mind first as they are often portrayed as gothic northern (central) European. I don't think the marines are "bald" for their helmets. I think they are that way due to early sculptors really. As GW recruited more talent, more marines came about with long hair. I tend to look at the old artwork rather than the miniatures themselves. What they could draw and what they could sculpt tended to be very different and still is when it comes to fine detail really.

European knights as well as Greek warriors often had long hair. It was plaited under their helmets and served as padding in some cases. I have read many accounts of Spartans oiling their hair especially. Not that history has any direct meaning in 40K, but there is precedent for marines to have hair other than Wolves.

Bear in mind this is all opinion on my part and I am just throwing my two cents out there :) Sorry to ramble........

Just bought Masqmini's tube maker. Hopefully it's just as good as the vaunted tentacle makers of GSI. If it is it's a cheaper alternative to those of us who don't live in that benighted land across the pond (No offence, I've just wanted to use that word for a while, and I couldn't legitimately squeeze it into my dissertation). They were charging me $25 for postage!! So the cheaper alternative is the German Masqmini's equivalent, which works out as £24.50, rather than £29.69 from America. Exchange rates are ridiculous at the moment...

Hopefully I'll get the arm finished today though and at least the basic shape of the hand started on. Then I'll just have to find a head that I'm willing to chop and make look dead.

Actually there are lots of marine chapters with hair.

Wolves, Blood Angels, Night Lords and even Emperor's Children spring to mind first as they are often portrayed as gothic northern (central) European. I don't think the marines are "bald" for their helmets. I think they are that way due to early sculptors really. As GW recruited more talent, more marines came about with long hair. I tend to look at the old artwork rather than the miniatures themselves. What they could draw and what they could sculpt tended to be very different and still is when it comes to fine detail really.

European knights as well as Greek warriors often had long hair. It was plaited under their helmets and served as padding in some cases. I have read many accounts of Spartans oiling their hair especially. Not that history has any direct meaning in 40K, but there is precedent for marines to have hair other than Wolves.

Bear in mind this is all opinion on my part and I am just throwing my two cents out there smile.png Sorry to ramble........

Rambling's cool! If it helps me with ideas and justifying the rule of cool I'm all for it tongue.png

Have him holding the head by the hair:tu: . like what 200Plus said, I have long hair when I wear a helmet I just tie it back and tuck it in.I saw a picture of a Marine with part of his Vambrace missing due to damage so do it.yes.gif

It seems that the two of you have persuaded me, hair it is!

So I've been a bit busy these last couple of days - I had an essay in on the 12th and 13th (last ever essay biggrin.png) and an exam today...so I haven't managed to get much done.

Off camera I've reworked the centre piece of the reaver chest plate because it was a bit uneven. I've also got the arm going quite nicely, I've sculpted a damaged vambrace and his forearm, just the hand to go!

At a bit of a loss for inspiration on the Luna Wolves front I returned to the Ultramarines, and thanks to Apologist, I've discovered Praetor pattern power armour (mentioned as a locally sourced mark in Know no Fear by Abnett) was actually a nod to his own Praetors of Calth so he's sent me the artwork that he used. Now that his work is officially canon (must be feeling smug!) I've used those photos to come up with the beginnings of my own praetor patterned marine.

So without further ado:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c320/blissfulbrushes/Ultramarines/Tactical%20Squad%20I/WIPs/DSCN1950_zpsf096aeb7.jpg

Here he be!

Any comments, criticism or questions are more than welcome as ever!!

That was good of him,looks good.

Yup, gotta love getting on the right side of those tech-adepts! and thanks msn-wink.gif

You are one talented bloke. These Ultramarines are going to be fantastic when finished.

Thanks, that means a lot msn-wink.gif Finished being the operative word :/ Still, one can always hope!

So I started work on a 'praetor' pattern helmet. The classic one from Visions. It's a bit lopsided at the moment, making those peaks is a pain in the rear! Still, the next one will be better I hope..

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c320/blissfulbrushes/Ultramarines/Tactical%20Squad%20I/WIPs/DSCN1956_zps3c8c8377.jpg

With the helmet comes an update on the chestplate that was in the last update. I've got the winged symbol done now, though I'm not sure what's uneven about it, the chest or the symbol. So there may have to be some rejigging involved..

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c320/blissfulbrushes/Ultramarines/Tactical%20Squad%20I/WIPs/DSCN1954_zps7e6279c5.jpg

Finally, this is just a generic chestplate at the moment, I'm aiming to make a lip around the collar, not quite MkVIII style, but something that could have a similar function.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c320/blissfulbrushes/Luna%20Wolves/Custom%20Reaver/DSCN1955_zps0fcf6f0e.jpg

The other issue I'm having is thinking of a design for the chestplate of my praetor. He's the leader of the Venatore (my Luna Wolf equiv of Reavers, just a bit less gangsta, which translates as the hunters). So Wolf and a hunter theme, but I cannot, for the life of me think of a decent design. Any input here would be most appreciated!

Another day for the smurfs. I've finished the Roman eagle on this Chestplate, though again it seems a bit lopsided, might have to go to the optician sometime soon.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c320/blissfulbrushes/Ultramarines/Tactical%20Squad%20I/WIPs/DSCN1957_zps441be300.jpg

This is the picture that I've been basing my 'praetor' helms off. I still need to do the wires along the bottom of the cheeks, but other than that, they're done I'd say. Oh, and that tiny piece of plastic that got stuck on...it's gone now ;p

http://a2.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/76/1939f547435e419d8d7b73eef00f69e1/l.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c320/blissfulbrushes/Ultramarines/Tactical%20Squad%20I/WIPs/DSCN1958_zps1910f9de.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c320/blissfulbrushes/Ultramarines/Tactical%20Squad%20I/WIPs/DSCN1960_zps6212796a.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c320/blissfulbrushes/Ultramarines/Tactical%20Squad%20I/WIPs/DSCN1961_zps58fdbe34.jpg

Any comments, questions, criticism etc. are more than welcome as ever msn-wink.gif

Those Praetor pattern helms are superb, remind me of the Rocketeer, heh. Seeing you do all this just makes me all the more excited for when I can start my Heresy Ultramarines in earnest.

Thanks msn-wink.gif No time like the present!

Not a hugely productive day today, I've been busy a-revising :/ I've managed to get two torsos kind of fleshed out, the first is the beginnings of an Legio Custodes member, as I figure that with some of the larger expeditions without the presence of a Primarch, there'd be someone of the Emperor's brood to keep an eye on things, just in case.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c320/blissfulbrushes/Luna%20Wolves/DSCN1962_zps2354fbe2.jpg

Clearly very early days at the moment. I'm going to be going for a blend of the Imperial Truth artwork and some of the old classic paintings.

Again a very basic plate so far, MkIV, the beginnings of.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c320/blissfulbrushes/Luna%20Wolves/DSCN1966_zps2aa3bcf5.jpg

So I got bored and decided to plan what my Contemptor was going to look like - he's getting stripped and remodelled 'cause it looks crap at the moment.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c320/blissfulbrushes/Luna%20Wolves/DSCN1967_zps56a6de64.jpg

Ye, so drawing's not my thing...Anyway, as a basic design I think that it gives a reasonable overview of what I intend. Sculpted wolves on the main chestplate, and the Pacification of Luna symbol on either the knee or outside shin. Probably the shin to be honest, it'd a pain in the rear to paint/model it as small as it'd have to be on the knee.

The last thing I've done today was draw a mockup of the Company banner. (This procrastination lark...)

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c320/blissfulbrushes/Luna%20Wolves/DSCN1968_zpsb2e2f178.jpg

So along the bottom there's a wolf, Company marking and a moon with 'Lupos et Vaga' in a scroll across it. Hoping to make the rest of the moon a bit of a light haze like in eclipses, 'cause it looks cool.

Considering the Company name of 'The Exiles' and Lupos et Vaga meaning the Wandering Wolves, I was thinking of doing a path into the night sky, but that could look a bit rubbish.

Any suggestions/comments/criticism would be more than appreciated, I'm not the most artistic of people, and inspiration comes by rarely!

Archived