We need a chat box

The amount of participants in the message system is pretty limiting, however. It was wholly inadequate for me recently.

I had the same problem a couple of days ago. If there's a way to up the number of participants allowed in a PM, that would be great.

What about a semi-official IRC room? Not really advertised on the forum itself but run with tacit acknowledgement of the admins that as long as there are no shenanigans we can use a name like #ezBnC or some variation there of.

A chatbox is almost impossible to moderate if someone comes in and posting inappropriate stuff...     Bad Idea.  Go to MSN or anyother chat software for your group discussions.  They already exist and you guys can have it open in another window while having the main B&C thread up too.

Well put Brother dean. It is unfortunate that the limitations of the PM system do not meet requirements sometimes needed but them's the breaks, I'm afraid. There's always other options. :)

Well put Brother dean. It is unfortunate that the limitations of the PM system do not meet requirements sometimes needed but them's the breaks, I'm afraid. There's always other options. smile.png

I used to help run a few irc chat rooms and to be honest, it's time consuming, costly (or at least some channels expect the user to pay) and largely redundant. More modern chat room software cost even more, are resource hungry and unless someone is in Moderating twenty four - seven, can be a minefield of problems.

I can understand that the PM system might be limiting, but it's better than irc Channels *shudder*

What about a semi-official IRC room? Not really advertised on the forum itself but run with tacit acknowledgement of the admins that as long as there are no shenanigans we can use a name like #ezBnC or some variation there of.

No chat, official or unofficial. Chat just pulls people away from using the board itself. If you want to chat in that way, you have Google Hang outs and Skype and all those other messenger programs.

We could consider upping the participant # in a multi-pm but don't expect that to happen fast if we decide to do it.

Well put Brother dean. It is unfortunate that the limitations of the PM system do not meet requirements sometimes needed but them's the breaks, I'm afraid. There's always other options. smile.png

I used to help run a few irc chat rooms and to be honest, it's time consuming, costly (or at least some channels expect the user to pay) and largely redundant. More modern chat room software cost even more, are resource hungry and unless someone is in Moderating twenty four - seven, can be a minefield of problems.

I can understand that the PM system might be limiting, but it's better than irc Channels *shudder*

and the server doesnt have problems as it is... wacko.png

No chat, official or unofficial. Chat just pulls people away from using the board itself. If you want to chat in that way, you have Google Hang outs and Skype and all those other messenger programs.

We could consider upping the participant # in a multi-pm but don't expect that to happen fast if we decide to do it.

As nifty as it would be if it was increased, I don't believe it would be a priority by any means.

Chat scripts are extremely resource consuming; most shared hosting providers ban them, or at least have a de facto ban on them, as using them will result in getting banned for being a resource hog.

I set up an IRC server, and I have a 40k channel for it.  If it's alright with the staff here, I could look into setting up a B&C channel or server for it.

Yeah, there's really no viable option.

On server – Too much resource consumption

Off server – Still requires admins to maintain

Community run off server – Obvious problem with the name being used in something not regulated by the staff

I'd say make your own thing (your own name) on a free IRC channel provider and have a separate community for those who want to join.

Archived