vonny's Order of the Sacred Rose

vonny

Mine is Saint Arabella. Not THE saint Arabella, but a sister who takes up her name and dons a 'replica' *ahem* of her armour. Which may be spot on, or just as spot on as Sebastian Thor's 2005million knucklebones.

So, I'm coloring it like I color the rest of my sisters - like a sister of the order of the sacred rose.

Smurf, I got the idea for the servo-bird things because I really have a dislike of cherubim, but I wanted to keep the cloak. So I thought of anti-grav supsensors at the top, but that would've been a very boring replacement of the cherubim. Then I thought of the dove in her hand, and figured I might try something like that on top as well - but the scale is way off. So I went and made servobirds/birditors as if someone who'd never actually seen a bird but had heard a description of it had to build a anti-grav suspended version of it. Hence the not-quite-right birds :)

I guess I don't have to explain the flaming sword idea to anyone ;)

Thanks for the compliments everyone, I really appreciate it :)

I would like to see more of your army as it is done. Helps inspire me to do more to mine. I've hit a point that I quit painting any 40k and dove into an araknarok, get a bit of fantasy in. However, now I'm thinking of getting back to the sisters for an upcoming 1325 pt tourney we a having at our LGS in march. Haven't done up a list yet, that I like, so I can paint those models for it. Suggestions are welcomed and I should probably start a new topic for that.

• 2 months later...

well, here's she's finished, finally. It took me long enough, and not all of that is due to it being so much work.

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab205/vonny83/Order%20of%20the%20Sacred%20Rose/celestine_zps66d0b6cb.jpg

Saint Arabella. Not the original of course, but she took on her name (and a replica of her armour). I fancy the mechanical birds holding up the cloak were fashioned by some artificer that never had seen one in real life or something. which is why they look a bit 'off'.

There's a lot of gold and turqoise in the model, which are the colors that will be associated with holy or sacred things in this paint scheme (such as the saint, any holy relic, and simulacri imperialis).

I also tried (and not completely succeeded) to copy gw's 360 degree photos, so you can see her from all sides. For sanity's sake, I'll just post a link and not the actual picture, here: http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab205/vonny83/Order%20of%20the%20Sacred%20Rose/Saints-circle_zps8f43d5a0.gif~original

Of course, with photography, I already see paint chips here and there, which I will endevour to fix, and then I ask of you to please point out an other things I need to fix before I add a layer of varnish onto her. She's chipped enough for me to feel that is really necessary.

edit: Forgot to note: Because I'm still not fully satisfied with the shape of the name banner on the base of the sister superior, I've decided not to place one on this base yet until I figure out how I want them.

I'm afraid your link is broken vonny, it just redirects to this topic as a result. Arabella looks great, her hair is a seamless addition and the colours work very well. I still love the birds and the sword looks cool, especially working with the other colours on the model. The scrolls too with the little aquila, I can't do the script as it's too much for me. Well done, the Emperor will surely look out for her! :D

I like the cloak details, looks good - subtle enough to not distract from the model but fancy enough to not be left out. As for the 360 I think you'll need to be pretty dedicated to get something approaching what GW does. You'd have to set it on something you can rotate and somewhere steady for the camera so you can snap away without moving it. That and quite a few pictures I imagine, and you'd end up with a pretty big .gif!

So in short; probably not worth the effort tongue.png

hehe, basically I wanted people to see the whole model, front and back, and with some idea of how it looks when you handle it - so 'fluidly' from all angles. The fluidity is a bit off, but it's the best I could get within reasonable effort. It's mostly to show off the back of the cloak with the free-handed rose and birds, and how the hair flows, but I noticed it also nicely shows the chain around her wrist to her weapon, for example.

I've said it before and I'll say it again! Those bird things are disturbing tongue.png Looks super sweet!

I think they look like Parrots and Saint Celestine is clearly meant to be painted in a Jamaican vibe.

And another update:

My sister hospitaller

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab205/vonny83/Order%20of%20the%20Sacred%20Rose/AS-Hospitaller_zpsba3e2d78.jpg~original

A sister of the Order of the Eternal Candle sequestered to this force of sisters from the Order of the Sacred Rose.

home-written fluff:

Order of the Eternal Candle - they refer back to the old custom that candles were lit for those who died, to light the way for their souls to the emperors side. Believing that no matter how many the sisters hospitaller could save, there would always be fatal casualties in service to the Emperor, the sisters of this order hospitaller believe that there a candle must be lit eternally to light the way for all those souls.

They wear the white and red robes signifying purity and skin as well as blood and healing - the traditional colors for any medicae. They also wear a funereal grey armourto signify their mourning for the many souls lost in the Emperor's service every day, as well as the lives they fail to save on the battle field and their operating tables.

outgame reasoning: The white and red robes are very recognizable as a cross between 40's nurse caps and a nun's habit, and the colors help reinforce this as well as their role as medics. The dark grey was needed as a contrast to this. It also helped to show that the hospitaller isn't from the ordo militant, and thus cannot be from the order of the sacred rose, while the white and red of the robes and the white details on the model help tie her in with the rest of the army. I didn't paint any freehands or emblems of the order of the sacred candle, so should any official color scheme ever come out for them, and it turns out it's vastly different, my sister suddenly belongs to a different order. I hope not though.

I loved painting this model, it's a really nice sculpt.

I started with the old... what's the name... now I need to find the paint pot because I can't remember...

Charadon Granite! That's the one.

I started with the old Charadon granite and worked my way up by mixing it with the old codex grey and ending up at pure codex grey. Also old color. I started with the charadon because it's not quite grey, but a bit... earthier tone. It helps to get some more warmth/depth into the whole.

They tell you to replace charadon granite with stormvermin fur, but I think skavenblight dinge is probably closer in color. No idea how close dawnstone is to the old codex grey.

Love your  St, the birds, sword and freehand are standouts for me. After seeing your Hospitaller  I have a better understanding of your skill as
a painter the armour panels and face are exceptional. Well done on both counts.

Love your  St, the birds, sword and freehand are standouts for me. After seeing your Hospitaller  I have a better understanding of your skill as

a painter the armour panels and face are exceptional. Well done on both counts.

Coming from someone with your painting skills I take this as a huge compliment. Thank you.

Thanks for all the compliments from everyone else too :) I'm glad you like them.

Archived