You can never have enough Imperial Guard... My Project Log

Rumour Control

Hello all, Ive been meaning to post on this forum for a while now ,so here I am.

You can never have enough Imperial Guard... Thats what a guy told me when i played his praetorians roughly 16 years ago, those words will stick in my head for years into the future aswell.

Here is my project log of my Death Korps of Krieg and Steel Legion armies.

A little about myself, Ive been into 40k since i was 16. Ive played many armies in that time, the only ones not being dark eldar and tau. I took a break from GW for a few years and the eventually got back into it in 2008. When i took up the hobby again i bought the space marine battle company as thats the army id always played years ago. A few months went buy and then the Imperial guard codex was released in 2009 I made the decision my next army would be the Imperial Guard. This was a little intimidating because I was always put off by the model count needed to field an army, but I thought I have no deadline to meet so just take your time and see how you get on.

A few friends of mine also had the same idea to start Imperial Guard. They bought cadians, i didnt want to do the same army as my friends but it still had to be Imperial Guard. When the Steel Legion were released in 2000ish i bought a few boxes with the intent of starting an army, which never came to anything, remembering i had some Steel Legion somewhere i went digging and dug them out and painted a few up...

Then I saw the Death Korps of Krieg and bought Siege of Vraks part one, I was hooked from that moment on.

I dont really know what else to waffle on about so here are some pics of my recent work, Finished these last week...

http://i39.tinypic.com/1079g94.jpg

I know they are finished but everything else is painted that is built. I could show you photos of unbuilt models in bags but that would be a little boring.

Thats it for now... I'll try post more over the next week or so. Thanks for looking.

For the record, you don't necessarily have to field tons of models for IG. You can run all Vets/Penal Legion as troops, which will keep the count low. Granted, that can be a tough set-up to run since you'll have only a few rather fragile infantry, but I've heard of such lists being done.

Nice DKoK, by the way. Can we get a pic of those tanks I see behind them? Pretty please?

Both the Macharius were Ebay rescues and are in need of a repaint really. Do you think i should repaint them, I was thinking grey camo for them?

Some dont rate the vulcan mega bolter, I think its a great weapon, firing twice if stationary is not to be sniffed at.

The weapon teams came out better than i thought in the pics, natural light for the win. The bases just need weathering powders and tidying up.

Very nice. How about some brown to break up all the green, and since your bases are brown. You could add a bit of grass...the odd clump, too.

I'd say do the tanks in a similar scheme to your infantry, to tie them all together (unless the armour is an attached unit from a different world? But then again they'd probably repaint to suit the battlefield).

Yeah your right Kierdale, a grey repaint is in order, most of my other tanks are grey except my shadowswords which are green.

All my tanks are from different regiments so all look a little different. 

I usually put barbed wire on my bases but forgot! I suppose I can always go back and put it on later. Ive got some heavy artillery crew to paint this week so hopefully i can make a start on those later on today or in the mornings before work.

Contrary to popular belief there is in fact an upper limit to the amount of Guard you can have. I believe the technical term is "storage space" :lol:

Welcome to the Guard section Rumour :D Always good to see some more men of Krieg and so many heavy weapon teams at that! The tanks don't look too bad from here, but it's a bit of a distance shot. If nothing else you shout repaint them to complete the noble rescue mission and to "make them yours" :)

Got any pictures of your line infantry?

Thank you for the welcome. Yes storage is an issue now, most models have a case but there are a few who dont. Like you say i should repaint the macharius to make them mine.

Id like some more heavy weapon teams but like everything else, there is always something at the front of the queue. I will buy some over the next few months. I need to build and paint a warhound titan by christmas for mine and a good friends annual christmas/ new year apocalypse game.

I have some photos of my infantry, though they are from last year but they havent changed. Another thing that needs adding to, i need plasma guns!!!

Here are a few pics...

http://i44.tinypic.com/2vnrrid.jpg

I know there are a couple of units of engineers in the picture but you get the point.

A platoon close up...

http://i39.tinypic.com/8y9vdc.jpg

Thanks for looking/commenting.

Thanks for the nice comment. Yes unfortunatly real life slows the process of this hobby a little, it's just finding the time to do little bits when you can. I did an hour before work this morning at 4:30 am but if I don't then nothing gets done and its easier when my wife and daughter are asleep as I don't disturb them and hobby doesn't get in the way of real life. Ill try post some pics later.

I know they may not be some of the best painted death korps on the Internet but the army is for playing with and not display. When there is over 140 infantry models painted so far I can't justify the time painting them to a high standard, I try save that for the one off units, tanks, super heavies ect.

Don't get me started, it's not even a joke when I say I spend more time complaining about my lack of time for painting than I do painting lately... :( Such is life. As for the quality of the painting, if we're honest most of us have "table top" quality models - even more so in the Guard. Can you imagine the amount of time required to expertly paint so many Guardsmen? :lol:

Evening all, I managed to do a little to the heavy artillery crew this morning.

First a blurry group shot...

http://i42.tinypic.com/2pqrvgg.jpg

A couple of single models...

http://i39.tinypic.com/16h4zl2.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/2nlsu3q.jpg

Hopefully get some more done tomorrow.

Sorry for the blurry pics, i'll try get some better ones next time.

Thanks for looking and commenting.

on the painting standards topic, i would rather have a table top quality army than 5 or 6 really well painted guardsmen, just getting models to tabletop standards is hard when you dont have more than maybe 4 hours a month free for the hobby.

that pic of 100+ guardmen is inspiring :)

Hi all, I finished the basecoat on the heavy artillery crew, just got to give them a 50/50 badab black/agrax earthshade wash then they are ready for basing.

I'd rather have a fully painted tabletop quality army than just a few well painted models. I try make it a rule that if I play at my local store or at warhammer world, everything has to be painted and based. If I play at home I still feel odd playing with unpainted models buy I let the rule slide a little when I'm in the comfort of my own home.

Thanks for the kind words, if I inspire 1 hobbyist to build/paint/base a single model in their collection I feel like my project log is working. You all are inspiring me lots through your words of encouragement. Of which I am very grateful for.

Ill try get some pics up tomorrow of the crew, may paint the next guns crew before moving onto finishing the guns them selves.

Many thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, sorry i havent posted in a little while, ive been busy gearing up for an apocalypse game around christmas so ive been busy building my warhound titan, i was gonna post some pics but didnt know if titans would be allowed in the imperial guard section, i can post a few but i dont want to ruffle and feathers.

I wouldn't mind at all. After all, IG welcomes all who fight for the Emperor of Mankind!

We know that we may rest somewhat easier upon laying eyes on one of the holy war machines of the Mechanicum!

Heres a couple of WIP pics of Mars Pattern Warhound Titan #2765

http://i40.tinypic.com/jrwk1u.jpg

All the joints are pinned and glued apart from the toes which are just pinned so when it/he/she goes on a base i can decide how i want them.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2942xzd.jpg

The main body and carapace are just pinned so far. I need to check my paint levels to see if i have enough left from my last warhound and buy some more magnets to interchange the arms between them.

TheMightyFireDrake: yes I'd love some more infantry and some is in the pipeline. In a ideal world is like 150-200 guardsmen, so a long way to go yet. I'd like to fill 3 gorgons at least. I have death riders and grenadiers to build after Christmas and also 2 tables to paint, so 2014 will be a busy year again for the Krieg.

Warriorfish: I intend to crush my enemy's with a few more Titan feet by Christmas, if this one goes on schedule it will happen.

I've just resupplied with more model air paint and magnets which should be here by Thursday (hopefully) so I can really crack on with the Warhound on Thursday night when my mrs is at work.

A suggestion for magnetizing the arms (Seeing as my dad owns 2 warhounds...) 

The bigger the magnet, the better connection you'll get (if you want to change the weapon arms. What we've got is roughly 1/4"x1" (height x length) for the arms, and the same in the guns.

Also had to design a special plug for a reaver's carapace mount (as it can mount Warhound weapons in place of the missile launcher!) Plug wasn't that much bigger than the magnet, and worked wonderfully.

Hi all. Ive been a busy over the weekend, family birthdays and general family stuff. I did manage to find time to do a little hobby so more on that in a moment...

Argun: Thanks for the advice on the magnets. I found out to my cost when choosing magnets make sure they are big/strong enough! I had a bit of a nightmare building my first titan. These are what i used on my previous warhound

http://i39.tinypic.com/fbmgxe.jpg

They are 20mm x 2mm and really really strong! They hold the arms and torso on and i used 2mm x 2mm magnets to hold the void shields on (useful for remembering how many they have left!)

WarriorFish: There will be three titans hopefully by christmas, two warhounds and a reaver. Progress is good so far.

So, i managed to get a lottle hobby in over the weekend, here is what i came up with...

We have colour! Not much but its progress!

http://i42.tinypic.com/2w3u8eo.jpg

With a little gold bling

http://i41.tinypic.com/spc6qu.jpg

Thats all for now, any questions please ask, i know im not the best painter/modeller in the world but i try.

Archived