No, he went to earth to basically hijack it. But at the time, the hole was tiny and manageable and Terra was warded. Then Magnus came along, made the hole substantially bigger and then broke the wards. The only thing holding back the tide after that was the Golden Throne.

At least, that's what I have been able to piece together.

I know that Eldrad claimed he wanted to stop the heresy but is it possible the eldar had a hand in it? They certainly wouldn't have wanted the imperium having free access to the webway if they had got wind of it. I know the Emperor was super secretive but still... The cabal had eldar members too!

I believe the Cabal is serving Malal.

Thought the Emperor did know how to fix/repair it which is why he went back to earth with a bunch of Mechanicum folks and along with his psychic might coupled with the golden throne he was able to repair and forge new paths. Then again, this is all probably fan inserted "information" that I read on the wiki and am now mistakenly citing as "fact."

Kol: I've heard of this double obliteration thing before here on B&C. Is it that he zapped him killing him then destroyed his soul? Or like you said a double soul zapp?

The Big E retired after Ullanor to work on the Crusade's next phase: conquest of the Webway. Near as I can tell warp travel was always a risky stopgap/temporary solution, given its unreliable nature. The Throne and its one-of-a-kind tech was built to somehow accomplish this. Magnus's meddling broke it, to the point that a second front in the Heresy opened up in the bowels of the palace itself, further straining the reserves of Terra and the war effort against Horus. What remained of the Throne's functionality seemed insufficient to holding the Webway closed, particularly after Magnus pierced the Webway and allowed daemonic incursion into the Terra leg of the network.

What remains to be seen is whether the Custodes have been continuing to fight the Webway war for ten thousand years, or if the Throne gets repaired enough to stave off the daemons and somehow mend the rift in that portion of the Webway. In theory, the Eldar know how to close parts of the network, so they or the Emperor could have done so in the latter days of the Heresy/Scouring.

But if not, that's a whole new level of grim dark right there: the Custodes waging a silent battle all these years, with the rest of the Imperium clueless to the daemonic time bomb buried in the roots of the Throne itself.

Archived