"You can't keep a good Dog down" - Return to the Hobby

Imperial_Dog

Today i was contacted by a very stroppy and unhappy individual.

I realized that it was my inner child, I'd seen something online that i hadn't dabbled in, in Years. 

My Inner Big Kid was very irate that i was no longer Dabbling.

There is only one known cure. Emperor forgive my abandonment! for I think its high time i returned to the hobby and its fantastic, unbeatable community. My Aim's for This time. Nov 14th 2014 to have:

1. Done a "successful" army build. Between 1500 and 3000points worth
  2. Paint at least one thing, Single model, for a contest entry. 
  3. Find a games workshop. And find a game, before my inner child holds me under duress!
  4. Post here about Works in progress. Completions.
  5. Get to know some of you Grumpy bittervet's and eager cannon-fodder recruits 

Little bit of complementary 'about myself':

I am a serving British soldier, Setting foot in the UK for the first time this year (2013) since i've been hauled like a wet fish across the world. Any people keen on writing novels and guardsmen stories who wish to have an insight into Modern military tactics and behavior. Its all fresh for me. I am, an Avionics Technician by trade (Even though i did my HERRICK with the infantry. My damn luck.) so any procedures on how aircraft (Valkyries? Thunderhawks?) are maintained in the real world military, you can ask me, it is my Best subject, believe it or not? Crazy right? you may be able to adapt them to the similar an- ahem, "Rigid" methods of the Tech priests and Tech-marines. 

I cart myself around the UK at a rate of Knots~ so i don't have a 'local' Games workshop. but it does mean i have flexibility in any events and tournaments arranged. And if its short notice, i can be on hand to help run little events if small, privately run battle bunkers need an extra pair of eyes or just someone to help out, we all know how hectic  trying to keep your eyes on the front of the store can be when a few of the younger, newer wargamers are trying to drag you down to table height to side with them over their line of sight cuffufle. 

My name is Richard. I dont expect everyone to look at this or know this!

So DOG does just fine.

Just don't Whistle me.(unless you are of course 19 - 23, female, and incredibly good looking)

I will now take any questions~!

Dog

how much performance/supply degradation would require a military unit to start retro fitting older tech and/or cannibalizing assets around them to continue to perform at a relatively able combat ability?

hehe. this question i ask because of the Horus heresy.

Welcome back brother to the greatest community on this earth. Yes, our inner child is the one that gets us into trouble if we don't focus it on something creative and productive.

If you haven't decided yet, the Templars are always looking for dedicated brothers to join in the Eternal Crusade.

Our inner children carry chainswords and unmatched zeal to the far corners of the galaxy, the physical manifestation of the Emperor's divine wrath.

Come check us out.

Hail and welcome to B&C, brother! I shall be keeping you in mind should I need any realistic info for my scribbles. msn-wink.gif

Where are you in the UK atm?

I am currently posted to the Aviation Hub known as the Wallops. Middle Wallop to be exact, Its what Portsmouth is to the Navy, But for Army Aviation (Hopefuly, in regards to the Portsmouth reference. In recent Light)

So to answer your question more helpfuly. Hampshire!

how much performance/supply degradation would require a military unit to start retro fitting older tech and/or cannibalizing assets around them to continue to perform at a relatively able combat ability?

hehe. this question i ask because of the Horus heresy.

This is a really really really good question. Cannibalism is a very taboo subject when it comes to army aviation. Simply coming down to everything being procedural and by the book. If you have say. Aircraft one has a major component within it that it needs. And you take this component from Aircraft two! Aircraft two is now in the same position that aircraft one was in. Cannibalization happens because of operational requirement, sometimes if one Aircraft needs to fly, and aircraft two is currently grounded for 12 hours due to maintenance. it can be Very Very tempting to pinch the part. but again. Aircraft two now has two things wrong with it.

Cannibalism is therefore Avoided at all costs. because it is simply not good practice.

However! there are things called. Contingency operations. Only carried out during wartime operations (and the British army haven't had to rely upon them yet. maintaining full capability and operational smoothness in maintenance all through Afghanistan and Iraq and Libya.) where only maintenance that is integral to flight and sortie requirements, operational requirements and defense is carried out. So for example. Cabin and Cockpit heating breaks. on contingency operations, tough, in the most dire circumstances the aircraft is made safe to fly and fight and those things alone ext ext.

But again, its a well oiled machine. We haven't done that yet (so yes, we were repairing things like chipped paintwork in Afghan. Because we were ontop of everything :'P)

In order to further try and answer your question. The units capability to repair an aircraft would also depend on its ability to have the parts supplied to it, If the supply route was cut. Perhaps then instead of having two unsearchable# aircraft, It would be made one serviceable aircraft with an ample supply of spares. Due to the fact no spare parts and equipment for proper maintenance would arive

• 3 weeks later...

Archived