Corvus's Blood Angels - Command Squad WiP

Corvus_Danseur

NOTE FROM THE FUTURE: This thread has morphed into what is essentially a blog for my adventures with the Sons of Sanguinius. Skip to the end for the latest adventures, and painting that is at least a little improved smile.png.

Hi there!

Just starting this thread as a way to gain feedback and engage with you good folks. Been lurking for a few weeks so figured I should join in the craic!

Last did the hobby over ten years ago as a horrible teenager, and now- mainly the fault of the Black Libary and Wolf_Pack.. I am back on the plastic crack. The sanguinary guard models just demanded my attention! Despite how rubbish they now appear to be on the tabletop according to the internets :'(.

Will be posting and updating on how my venture back into this world goes.

To get things rolling I will show my first three weeks effort... kit bashed chaplain and sangiunary priest, kitbashed (minor) sanguinary guard. Going for tradition(ish) founding chapter scheme, but with a darkened red base armour as not such a fan of 'shoot me now' Blood Red, urban warfare basing scheme is the plan but not sure if I like the result so far...

Glad to have inspired you to pick up the hobby again!

I like the hoods on the sanguinary guard, it gives them a blizzard-esk angel feel.

Go onto an image and right click Copy URL. Then wen you post there's a little icon for image, just past it in the field that will pop up.

There is nothing wrong with Sanguinary Guard mate. I say if you like models they are a great way to start and you will have fun using them.

In a compitition or extremely competative enviroment they might not be the best option, but have a bit of fun and learn for your self before you worry about any of that.

Agreed, sang guard can scare the bejeesus out of power armour units, commonly able to take a full 10man squad out in 1 or 2 rounds of combat. THe fixed, small, squad size tends to put people off but you really don't need more than that in a squad if you pick your targets well...

• 2 months later...

Dear One and All

Apologies for the lack of uploads, I have been busy- and internets is not that available in the Arctic always! However I have still been hobbying along, and have progressed quite far. In the following post I aim to show progress on painting and the modelling front. In the meantime here is a tester photo to see if I can manage to embed a photo!

Ok sorry but I really have no idea what is wrong with my photos... tried all the methods, hosted here and on flickr. Resized the original to make it smaller. But still get either broken code or the message 'you are not allowed to use that image extension on this community'... which I can only take to mean it doesn't like .jpg. So tried to upload .tif only to be told that can't even upload a .tif. I am truly confused :/ 

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/gallery/image/122051-corb-1/

• 3 weeks later...

So, long delayed here is my summary of progression so far! As ever when one does this sort of thing the buying starts to streak ahead of the painting, but I am trying to keep some sort of discipline...

The general ethos/theme of this is Blood Angels... with a slightly darker more secretive twist. Fluff-wise you could say this is a reaction to the Chapter’s recent travails and increasing threat of the black rage. But in reality it’s mainly as I also love the Dark Angels models, their hooded and robed motif in particular, but don’t like their their part colour scheme (green, white, black)!

I started off with the Sanguinary Guard as shown below, combined with bits from the veteran Dark Angels sprue. I liked the way the hoods came off- and was pretty happy with the gold effort. Looks a little brassy but there we go!

SG1

SG2

Followed this up with an assault squad... from which a chaplain was also constructed. Not massively happy with the Chaplain to be honest. I liked the hood over mask effect in general- but not for a chaplain I think, and so a head swap will take place once I have a better option! These assault marines where about the third thing I painted and you can start to see some development in the technique. The squad is 10 man, but I have only painted 5 so far- and I am resisting putting up unpainted models!

Chaplain

AS2

My Sanguinary Priest collective... made from various spares and the terminator from Space Hulk (more on this later). I’m pleased with the Corbulo conversion, this was my first real attempt at more serious greenstuff and it seems to have had the effect I desire. Less pleased with the two normal priests- these where among my first attempts at painting and it shows... but hey I’m holding out for new SP with the new codex (sometime this year if luck holds??). The terminator priest is I think my best painting effort so far, starting to use highlighting more effectively in combination with shading with Nuln Oil.

SP1

STermie

Corb 1

Pre-christmas I got a little click happy and picked up a Storm Wing... woopsie! Anyway had visions of turning the wings into angel wing type things... however when models in hand just couldn't see a good way to do it. So left the Storm Talons (one painted to date) as is and did some more standard conversion work on the Storm Raven. Post Christmas got click happy again and picked up the BA battleforce and some extra DC... DC are painting and whilst my black highlighting is a little... interesting. The models themselves are some of my favourite basic one’s to date!

Rv1

Rv2

Rv3

ST1

DC2

Rh2

Rh1

Future works:  I have another assault squad with a plasma pistol gun slinging sergeant half bought and primed, a heavily converted Inquisitor and his henchmen, Space Hulk termies (look, it was a good price on Ebay, half the normal going cost, I just couldn’t resist!!!), 70% of a tactical squad, Stormtalon and finally a squad of DA Terminator Knights that I am playing around with... probably turn them into thunder hammer/storm shield squad (an idea I’ve had on this front is that they can also be proxied as Knights if choose to run a Death Wing/1st BA company force at some point, with the Space Hulk box I’m already well on the way to a having enough and the hooded terminators look awesome). will hopefully update progress as it happens! Busy month ahead for me but hoping to get some painting time in, and who knows... maybe even take to the table, so if anyone is based in Southern Sweden/Malmo area hit me up!

PS Photos are working!! Miracles!! Or I found a button that worked ~cough~

Thanks Jorre! I am quite proud of that one. Made from the spare side pods from a Storm Talon plus a few random extra's. Make's a lot more sense to me to have it sitting on the front... but it's also magnetized so adheres to the rear top hatch for the more traditional look as well :).

• 1 month later...

A Priestly Update

As predicted a busy month or so has led to not as much progress as liked. However things are afoot... the Sanguinary Priest detachment is complete and I've entered an event, more on this later!

Firstly, a few priests have joined everybody's favourite re-roll generator (images posted before- now final fiddle and edit). I had created and painted two priests with magnetised jump-packs a while back. Indeed they were amongst the first to be painted- and the quality of that is very visible. However with a wee bit of touch up they don't look too bad... from a distance...  Joining these is a Priest in terminator armour. Based on the Priesty typey chap from the Space Hulk boxed set, I added the apothecary back unit from the Dark Angels terminator command sprue to make his status that bit more clear. A minor bit of kit bashing, but a satisfying one. Pictures below! In general my most ambitious kit-bashes/conversions  are not yet ready for posting as they are still on the painting and fiddling stage... Sneak-peak at the end of the post! 

Priest Collective 1

Priest Collective 2

Priest Collective 3

Priest Collective 4

Secondly, my local gaming store popped up on their Facebook group an event called 40k Terrain Heroes- most intriguing! Turns out that it's a rather clever idea consisting of two terrain building workshops before a mini-tournament event (late afternoon/evening affairs spread over three weeks or so). Get's a nice lot of terrain built for the store whilst pulling a small, and hopefully friendly crowd, to what is described as a beginner friendly event. So having not played a game in over 10 years and not read the rule-book, I have signed up! :/ Having spotted a limited edition Dark Vengeance in said store (see, the event's worked already on my wallet!) I picked that up for the rule book and fairly easily converted DA-BA...

The event it's self is in May, so closer to the time I will asking for advice on a proto-list based on what I have and suggestions for last minute emergency buy and paint's. I'm by no means out to win, but be nice not to lose every game... 

And finally the sneak-peaks!

1) Sgt Lorenzo from Space Hulk, really enjoyed painting him and think some of my best work to date.

Sgt Lorenzo1

Sgt Lorenzo2

2) A fragioso. Love this model... bought the basic kit to acquire the bits for what is turning into a centrepiece project heavily inspired by Wolf_Pack's dreads... but quite pleased with the basic kit-bash done on this chap... more detailed photos will follow once he is done!

Dread1

Cheering for the Chaplain

The Chaplains are among my favourite models and fluff characters in the game- and having picked up the limited edition Dark Vengeance box, I had to paint this chap up. Four evenings work later, and I'm pretty pleased with the result. Painting taken another step forward I feel. Although my black could do with improvement beyond simple light grey highlighting I think. 

Dark Angels Iconography removed and replaced on the shoulder and cloak with green-stuff blood drops. Happy with the shoulder, but think maybe the cloak could be better... always room for improvement. Really enjoyed painting this guy, and definitely going to be fielding him along with his Death Company buddies in the tournament that I signed up for ^^... at least that's the idea. 

ChaplainLtd14

ChaplainLtd3

ChaplainLtd2

ChaplainLtd1

• 1 month later...

Fire From the Sky!

Another big gap between updates, woops! In my defence the PhD has actually started to move somewhere, so have been busy doing actual science, much to the surprise of all! Anyway, to show off today I have a drop pod that I am pretty pleased with- what started off as a quick and basic paint job in order to have a delivery mechanism for my dreadnought in the upcoming tournament (next week... ahrghghghghg! See lower down in post for a list in need of help and painted available models and models that could be painted...), turned into a much more involved job due to seeing this: http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/images-38984-18538_Blood%20Angels%20Drop%20Pod.html.

My pod is definitely not as good, however I am pleased with how it turned out. Pictures below!

Drop Pod 1

Drop Pod 2

Drop Pod 3

Drop Pod 4

Drop Pod 5

And so onto the pressing matter of the local tournament that is next week. 1250 points. Beginner friendly.
Painted and available I have: Stormraven, Sanguinary Guard, 10 Death Company, 10 man melta assault squad, 10 man tac squad with missile launcher and plasma, TL lascannon razorback/rhino, Sanguinary priests incl Corbs, two librarians, two chaplains and the drop pod! Phew. Oh and the dreadnought from a few posts up is nearly done.
In the time available I can probably complete one of: sniper scout squad with missile launcher, three bikes, vanguard vet squad or assault terminator squad...
So plenty of points there. Just a matter of figuring out what best to take. Looking at Chaplain Adametus' thread... I feel like the assault squad and raven are cert with a librarian useful. And am leaning towards including a DC in the raven with Chaplain... Anyway, will put together a proto list for comments here. But if anyone had a thought as to which of the possible units on the too paint list would add the most value it would be appreciated smile.png.
~EDIT~
Came up with a first attempt list. Basic idea is that tac squad sits in back field with librarian as a objective holder and light fire support and warlord body guard. ASM can be combat squad if need be, going after enemy objectives and any armour. Furioso goes after first blood. Raven with DC and Reclusiarch head face first for biggest threat of the enemy and do their best to achieve a glorious death.
Would love some devastators in place of tac squad but no chance of getting any in time!

1250 Pts Blood Angels

HQ

Librarian (100 Pts): FgGren, KrGren, Force Weapon, Bolt
Pistol.

Reclusiarch (145 Pts): FgGren, KrGren, Power Armour, Crozius
Arcanum, Rosarius, Plasma Pistol.

Troops

Assault squad (260 Pts)

- Space Marine(9): FgGren, KrGren, Power Armour, Chainsword,
Bolt Pistol, Melta gun(2).

- Sergeant(1): FgGren, KrGren, Power Armour, Power Fist,
Storm Shield, Melta Bomb.

Death Company (145 Pts)

- Death Company(5): FgGren, KrGren, Power Armour, Bolter,
Power Weapon(2), Infernus Pistol.

Tactical squad (200 Pts)

- Space Marine(9): FgGren, KrGren, Power Armour, Bolter,
Bolt Pistol, Missile launcher, Plasma gun.

- Sergeant(1): FgGren, KrGren, Power Armour, Bolt Pistol,
Power Weapon.

Elites

Furioso Dreadnought (170 Pts)

- Furioso Dreadnought(1): Blood Fist With Heavy Flamer.
Frag cannon.

- Drop Pod(1): Storm bolter.

Heavy Support

Stormraven Gunship (230 Pts): Bloodstrike Missile(4),
Ceramite Plating, Twin-linked Multi-melta, Twin Assault cannon, Hurricane
Bolter.

Created by epicroster.com

/salute

Fabulous Furioso

Managed to spend an entire Sunday painting, and here are the fruits of the labour! Ready in time for the tournament next weekend. Really happy with this one have to say. Overall a minor but effective kitbash, with decent paint job. Gems are something I really want to improve though...

Furioso 1

Furioso 2

Furioso 3

Furioso 4

Furioso 5

Furioso 6

/salute

That is awesome :) Are they wings from Sanguinor and Astorath?

Not sure which is my fave, the Furioso or Corbulo, which is also awesome. Dark green blood-drops look great and complement the red nicely.

Also like the way you put the danger stripes on the drop pod doors. I have 7 pods and have only done that on one of them..really can't be bothered with all the others laugh.png

Thanks dude, much appreciated! They are actually the angles from the Raven Wing bike command frame (I think...). Work really well as covers for the engines.

With 7 of them really don't blame you!! It took a while!! But managed to speed it up when I used masking tape to outline the areas to be painted yellow... could just whack in on quickly and then tidy up after. Sadly I only realised this having done the outside stripes and one of the doors wallbash.gif . Ah well next time!

I think that the Corbs is probably a better conversion, or at least a bit more involved. But painting definitely better on the Furioso :).

The First Ever Tournament! Preamble

The 4th Company take to the field for the first time! Was a great day in which I had a lot of fun- will post the first batrep and then the other two in separate posts. The whole event was very friendly and good natured. Turned out that it was a) 1500 points and b,)there was a victory point handicap depending on if you brought something considered a bit cheesy or OP for the beginner tournament. Luckily I found out about the 1500pts the day before so brought enough men!

However it turns out that a Stormraven is considered rather good... who knew! So my opponent would always get +1vp and I -1vp... quite a stiff penalty some might think, but actually I didn't mind. It mean't that the more experienced players hadn't bought their super-duper lists and I stood a chance of not dying turn 1!

Final result was two narrow losses and one narrow win. Lot's of lessons learn't and (I think?!) some friends made! All people were nice and didn't argue about rules etc, the 4+ rule applied a few times sorted out anything slightly dubious. Hurrah for Swedish politeness, fairness and niceness msn-wink.gif. I think that the VP handicap rule could be quite good for tourneys elsewhere if they are struggling with over the top builds...

EDIT: I came 9th out of 16, so solid mid-table. Not bad!

First up I have to post this picture of an amazing Space Marine force that was there, sadly didn't play them. But I'm sure the Emperor's Bunnies gave a good account of themselves!! Also apologies for blurry pics... I take everything back everything k ever said about mobile phone pictures taken mid-game.... yeah turns out its very very hard to get nice clear ones!!!

Reports to follow tomorrow as I am super-tired!

gallery_75178_9652_143473.jpg

Game 1

Opponent: Iyanden. Two Wraith Lords, Prince Yriel, 2 Spirit Seers, three units of Wraith Guard (one flamer type, one missile type and one axe and shield type) and some Dire Avengers. His whole army is scoring apart from the lords... Oskar's write up and thread here: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?393630-The-Chalcitis-Insulam-System-the-non-campaign-thread. Has some better pictures...

Mission: Dawn of War deployment, two objectives each to place in opponents deployment zone. Your placed objective is worth 3vp and the opponents is worth 2vp (I think). Slay the Warlord, line-breaker and kill points all in effect.

Won't lie I was a little panicked by all the high toughness, fearless, high fire-power opposite me. Fortunately my opponent was a complete gentleman and was happy to assist the complete newbie that I am when I struggled!

Deployment:

gallery_75178_9652_75762.jpg

Sanguinary Guard are being used as objective markers for me, whilst barrels are the Eldar's objectives. As you can see above I only deployed the tac-squad with the librarian in the ruins. The ASM are not combat squaded (mistake 1) and are going to deep-strike with their Sanguinary Priest (mistake 2). DC with Reclusiarch and Corbs are in the Raven. Dread and drop pod will be arriving turn 1.

Turn 1:

gallery_75178_9652_121375.jpg
Eldar: Go first and just generally move up, wiffing on the psychic test for fleet and perils on the Spiritseer with the axe and shield Wraithguard... a good start! msn-wink.gif A few pot shots are taken at my tac squad, removing the plasma gunner due to bad placement by me (mistake 3).
Blood Angels: The dread turns up and scatters backwards a fair-way. Not enough to go off the table, but enough that my template coverage of the dire avengers is massively reduced. The wound rolls are decent enough but four or so Avengers remain... not good as my overall plan was to refuse the flank and remove the Avengers from that right flank (opposite end of the table in the photo), which would have greatly reduced the the scoring units available to grab the objective in that area. The tac squad opens up and does... exactly nothing. The missile launcher missing by a country mile... this theme continues throughout the day > the missile marine in particular will get a stern talking too when back on Baal!!
Turn 2
gallery_75178_9652_114962.jpg
Eldar: Two missile wraiths are in range of the dread and manage to get one pen, immobilising it and therefore basically removing it from the game as he can safely avoid the templates with ease now. My objective being just out of range (did I mention that scatter?). More pot shots at the tac squad remove one or two I think, Shield of Sanguinius cast by the Librarian the previous turn helping out a fair bit.
Blood Angels: All reserves arrive... I was kind of hoping that the ASM squad would delay at least one more turn to allow him to spread his forces out more and leave them a bit more vulnerable to me. Raven is lined up with an eye to helping the tac squad survive by pushing that left flank (nearest end to photo). And at this point I make a fairly massive mistake and deep-strike my ASM (mistake 4) right next to his flamer, AP3, toting Wraiths.... ruh-roh!! He did point this out to me just after I did it and offered to let me re-think it and re-do it, however I felt that it was my mistake rather than accident or forgetfulness so declined.
Whilst Corbulo face-palmed in the Raven, a quick plan of action was drawn up to try and rescue the ASM from certain doom... Firing with both ASM metlas and bolt pistols onto the Wraiths they managed to kill two or three of them. A good number but at least five still remained. Therefore the Raven had to open up with all its might on the remaining flamer-Wraiths.... some distinctly average shooting later they were all dead, the final roll with the multi-melta taking out the last one! Phew. However a Wraith Lord looms painfully close whilst the axe and shield Wraiths along with Yriel are making threatening looks towards to my Warlord and his buddies in the ruins...
Turn 3
gallery_75178_9652_27803.jpg
Eldar: Missile-wraiths blow the dread, scoring a KP and effectively taking that entire right flank for the rest of the game. The Avengers scurry forward and sit on their objective on said flank. The Wraithlord snipes out my powerfist/storm shield sergeant (bad placement by me again, mistake 5) from the ASM and proceeds to charge them. However some bad rolling on his part and some awesome FnP rolls from me end with a tied combat! Let the tarpit begin... Although neither of us were really sure who was tar-pitting whom at this point! The Prince Yriel axe and shield Wraiths attempt to charge the tac-squad. However some luck falls my way and they fail the distance! Needing about 5" and getting 3"! Two wraiths fall to over-watch fire to add insult to injury. The Librarian wipes the sweat from his forehead and pretends that the suspicious stain on his power armour is just an oil leak...
Blood Angels: Things are looking grim for the Sons of Sanguinius as the yellow tide bears down upon them. However here come the Death Company, frothing at the mouth and out for revenge! I take a gamble at this point and put the Raven into hover mode to allow an assaulting dismount from the DC. I reckoned that with the missile wraiths out of LoS and one Wraith Lord tied up with the ASM I stood a good chance of killing the other Wraith Lord with the Raven and then using the DC to charge the axe and shield wraiths meaning he had nothing with which to kill the hovering Raven... well that was the thought...
The Raven fires all weapons, including two Blood Strike missiles, at the un-engaged Wraith-Lord. But when the smoke clears it is still standing there on one wound! Disaster! As my opponent commiserated with a large smile on his face I had to choose whether to leave the lord to either blow the Raven and/or counter charge my DC the next turn. Or use the DC to kill the lord with either the Infernus pistol or close combat... I chose to shoot the lord... felling him with the Infernus pistol but having to use Corbulo's re-roll in the process! However this now mean't that I couldn't charge the Prince Yriel unit (I learn't this as I went along, mistake 6). And Yriel was looking like he mighty fancied some Blood Angel steaks. ~Gulp~
Oh and of course before I did this the tac-squad tried to pop the Lord with the missile launcher... who missed... couldn't hit the side of a barn door!!!
The second wraithlord continued to dance with the ASM. Only one marine falling due to some excellent FnP. Krak grenades bouncing off the toughness of the Lord like rain. Thank god I had brought Sanguinary Priests instead of Sanguinary Guard as I was going to do! ASM lose the combat but pass leadership.
Turn 4:
gallery_75178_9652_56543.jpg
Eldar: The missile wraiths on the right flank try to get into the central ruin to get a line on the hovering Raven but roll snake-eyes on the difficult terrain and fail to get anywhere. The remains of the Dire Avengers continue their wee party on the objective.The lord and ASM continuing to tickle one another. This time the ASM passing ALL their FnP tests, by this point my opponent was starting to wish that he had sniped the Priest rather than the sergeant!
However the inevitable happens and the Yriel unit charge my DC. Overwatch kills one wraith but the rest make the distance and smash into my lines. Yriel challenges and Corbulo braves steps up to let the Reclusiarch use his club on the Wraiths (good god I wish I had charged with furious charge for the +1 strength). Fortunately FnP again came to my rescue and the Wraiths only managed to take down three DC and Yriel only puts one wound on Corbs due to his awesome 2+ goodness! The DC take out one wraith and the Reclsuiarch another two. Making for a lost combat by 1, which I then pass. Could have been worse but I was going to struggle to hurt the wraiths and FnP may not be so kind a second time round...
gallery_75178_9652_4697.jpg
Blood Angels: The Raven goes back to zoom mode and positions its self to have a crack at the missile wraiths holding my right flank objective. Everything else is either locked in combat or is about to be. The Raven fires at the missile wraiths, but only manages to kill two... at this point I am strongly wondering what the fuss is about these new fangled flyers... The ASM and Lord continue to rollick in the meadow. Sadly two ASM are lost in the boisterous romping, but hold morale.
Girding his loins the Librarian looks his lads in the eye and declares 'Right boys, this is it, you've missed every shot you made so far today so time to do what the Blood Angels do best and do it hand to hand!". With these inspirational words ringing in their ears the tac-squad break cover and charge the ongoing combat between the DC, the Librarian supercharging his strength with the Sword of Sanguinius power. And the tac squad benefiting from Corbulo's presence nearby.
The result's of the charge are impressive, the Librarian accounts for three wraiths and the tacs two more. Allowing the Chaplain and DC to kill off the rest and the Spiritseer before they have any chance to strike back! However, sadly Corbulo falls to Yriel at last. His death giving the Eldar one much needed point in the combat... as with that Yriel must pass a leadership test on 3+... much to my horror and disbelief my opponent rolls three!!!! Oh.:cuss. Apologies for the expletive but this is entirely apt considering what was about to happen... the before and after photos below tell the story better than any words can. You see, Yriel has an eye... an eye that explodes... filthy xenos. An eye that explodes with a large blast, str something or other AP3. And now he was on his own surrounded by marines...
Turn 5
Eldar: The missile wraiths take some pot shots at the Raven... and hit with two 6s! Two pens later the 'feared' raven is a smoking wreck. There goes all of my long-ranged fire power! The lord and ASM jazz concerto continues. This time one ASM goes down as FnP once again proves to be ridiculously successful. Once again leadership is passed.
gallery_75178_9652_105327.jpg
gallery_75178_9652_79585.jpg
So... the eye... Well as you can see in the before and after photos above it did not go well for the marines. All but one tac marine dead, one wound on the Librarian and only two DC left... really felt the loss of Corbulo's FnP. However in the ensuring challenge the Reculisarch gained some measure of revenge by pulping Yriel into a fine paste and spreading it over his Croziums, mmmmmm tasty. With that over the tac-'squad' and librarian consolidated into range of the Eldar's left flank objective whilst the DC moved round the difficult terrain to potentially assist the ASM if the game continues...
At this point the Eldar hold one of their objectives and one of mine, line breaker and three kill points. Whilst I have one Eldar objective, slay the warlord and three kill points...
gallery_75178_9652_98579.jpg
However the game continues!
Turn 6
gallery_75178_9652_64420.jpg
Eldar: The missile wraiths again attempt to move from my objective on the right flank and get into the central ruins for line of sight on the pitiful remains of my force. But this time roll a whole 2", ah well! At this point careful measurement allows the up until this point entirely silent Dire Avengers to target my missile marine... (mistake 7 I think by me... placement again!!). Of course the useless cucumber fails his armour save, meaning I now hold no objectives. The ASM and Lord continue their Irish jig with the Lord killing one and forcing a leadership check... which is passed.
Blood Angels: The Librarian moves around the crater looking to get a charge in on the Lord next turn if the game goes on. Meanwhile the two DC and Reclusiarch move into potential charge range of the longest combat of all combats...
The DC roll for the charge of 10"... and make it on 10! Luck was with me clearly. However their charge doesn't kill the Lord, taking it down to one wound. The ASM do nothing and FNP/Reclusariarch's invul save prevent the Lord from doing anything.
Does the game continue? If it ends here I have no objectives to the Eldar's two and will be in for a heavy loss... The dice is rolled and comes up 5! The game goes for one more turn!
Turn 7
gallery_75178_9652_88409.jpg
Eldar: The Dire Avengers shuffle and try to get a bead on the Librarian for slay the warlord, but fail. The missile Wraith's finally remember that they have a Spiritseer with them that can cast fleet... which succeeds. But rolls very low again on three dice and fail to draw a bead on the Librarian! In combat neither side manages to do anything to one another.... what a surprise!
Blood Angels: Ok folks, this is it. IF the Librarian can get a charge off of 8", and pass a psychic test for Sword of Sanguinius then this thrice dammed Lord might go down! The Emperor clearly favours the bold as he makes all of these and splats the Lord with one mighty swing of his stave. Excellent.
This allows the ASM to consolidate onto my objective on the left flank and claim it. Phew.
With that the game ends, final score 11-10 VP win to the Eldar. Which after my penalty is applied results in a 8-4 tournament point win to the Eldar.
Final Thoughts
Wow, that was quite a first game after over 10 years out! Full credit must go to my opponent who made it such an enjoyable experience. I had such a blast playing and ended it with a massive grin on my face. Yriel passing his leadership test and using his eye has to be the top moment of the game. We both may have been the loudest people in the room at that point! I pulled off a closer loss than I thought due to the game going on that one turn longer.
Main lessons learn't from this: 1) Positioning is so important!, 2) Must get the charge, particularly against high toughness people, makes such a difference and 3), don't deep-strike ASM as one blob. Go well it does not. And really I got away with it this time, but still suffered due to having to switch fire to the flamers. Really can't afford to be so caviller with one of my only two scoring units.

The opponent here =) 

Nice write up. A bit more in-depth then mine. ;) 

I'd like to point out that the "Warlocks" are actually spiritseers. So double the cost, double the power, more or less. =) Anyway - it was great fun playing you as well, and as I've said since the battle, I'd be happy to play again in the near future. And yriel blowing up most of the marines was no doubt the main event this game. 

Cheers, 

Archived