Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Sentinels of Terra, Drop Pod style, advise needed

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Arthanor

Arthanor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,112 posts
  • Chapter Name: Black Templars

Armour 12 or less? Bolters are still S4. That being said, one could throw a krak grenade at S6 still using TH.

Very interesting idea. IF 10 men devastators are very interesting! Put one of the new inquisitors in the heavy weapon squad for 2+ save (and prescience/servo-skulls/quad-gun manning) and the lack of bullet magnets is not so bad either.

Marshal of the Laurentia Crusade - Recruitment (WIP)         My DIY: The Radiant Light
Want to know what to expect of your dice? Join us in Arthanor's Mathhammer corner!

gallery_45662_7420_40448.jpg
Life is the Emperor's currency, spend it well.

d@n

d@n

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 771 posts
  • Chapter Name: Spacewolves
Your right I meant armour 10. But that's still the same as most rear armour.

Disruptor_fe404

Disruptor_fe404

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,898 posts
  • Chapter Name: Sentinels

You should try combat squading your devs and drop podding 5 bolter marines. Any tank armour 12 or less is going to get glanced to dead as the bolter drill is giving you 10 rerollable to hit rolls and tank hunter is giving you re rolls on your armour penitratons and even if you don't shoot it to death you still have. Tank hunter with your krack grenades the next turn.

Genius! Really awesome idea...

The Sentinels
Chapter Command ([1]), Throne Company, Grail Company ([1], [2], [3]), Lance Company, Sword Company ([1], [2]), Dagger Company, Shield Company, Sigil Company, Tome Company, Storm Company, Shadow Company.

Current projects: +Penitent Tangent+

kollar

kollar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 139 posts
Big thanks for all the feedback! And good call on "non-heavy weapon" Marines also using Tank Hunter, I never thought of that. I have an army in mind, I'll post it when it's done!

Dorns_fist

Dorns_fist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,012 posts
  • Chapter Name: Crimson fists and a small amount of Imperial fits
Me and gaming group treat the IF bolter drill and SOT bolter drill even when I fire on over watch
"My brothers we have been sorely wounded and brought to our knees, but i ask you to rise from the ashes of despair, by flamer we'll burn, by bolter we'll purge and by blade we'll cut out the heart of the greenskin body, Brothers rise, for you are sons of Dorn, for we the Crimson fists and we shall never fail" - Pedro Kantor

"going up against Stealers with lightning claws marks you as borderline psycho in any case...."

http://image.boltera..._1792_24448.jpg

d@n

d@n

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 771 posts
  • Chapter Name: Spacewolves

You should try combat squading your devs and drop podding 5 bolter marines. Any tank armour 12 or less is going to get glanced to dead as the bolter drill is giving you 10 rerollable to hit rolls and tank hunter is giving you re rolls on your armour penitratons and even if you don't shoot it to death you still have. Tank hunter with your krack grenades the next turn.

Genius! Really awesome idea...
I think taking drop pods, for your devastator squads will allow for a lot of flexibility with the sentinels of terra supplement, as if your facing a horde army like nids or orks then you can use empty pods to block there movement or if your facing tank spam like wave serpents or guard you can combat squad and hull point the rear armour to death as well as using your heavy weapons as normal. also empty pods will allow you to bring all your podding tactical squads down first turn if that's what you want ( I assume with the supplement imperial fists are going to use a lot of tactical squads in pods)

kollar

kollar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 139 posts

So, here is my idea for the first 1000 points worth of Sentinels of Terra.

HQ: Librarian - 90

ML 2

Epistolary Darius Strom

TROOPS: Tactical Squad - 200

10 Marines, Plasma Gun, Heavy Bolter, Drop Pod

3rd Squad, 3rd Company

4th Squad, 3rd Company

HEAVY SUPPORT: Devastator Squad - 213
7 Marines, 2 Missile Launchers, 1 Plasma Cannon, 1 Lascannon, Drop Pod w Deathwind Launcher

Part of 9th Squad, 3rd Company

HEAVY SUPPORT: Centurion Devastator Squad - 290
3 Marines, 3 TL Lascannons, 3 Missile Launchers, Omniscope

Part of 9th Squad, 3rd Company

TOTAL: 993

Nothing spectacular. This is more as a starting point towards a bigger army. I wanted to include Centurions due to the fluff of 3rd Company using them extensively. I decided that the 3 Centurions and the 7 Devastators would form the "complete" 9th Squad. My aim is to deploy the Librarian with the Devastators, either at the start, and drop their pod as a distraction further in the game, or drop the entire squad plus Librarian if it's more beneficial for the mission. My aim is however to almost always keep their pod as the "odd one out", so I can bring down two Tactical Squads on turn one. The normal Devs are kitted for multi-purpose targets. My aim was that at most one of their heavy weapons would be "useless" against any enemy (Plasma Cannon versus AV14, Lascannon versus Hordes). The Centurions are of course kitted for proper armour hunting. I am considering dropping the TL Lascannon on the Sergeant with Omniscope on this group, but keep the missile launcher. Still haven't decided on this yet. 

My aim to increase this army to 1500, would be to include a third Tactical Squad in a Pod, a Ironclad in a pod, and another armored support element (AutoLas Predator, Autocannon Dread etc), always keeping the number of Pods uneven to get the most out of the "Drop Pod Assault"-rule. Comments and criticism very welcome!

kollar

kollar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 139 posts

Ok, so I've changed my plan a bit. I figured I wanted to focus more on the "normal" marines of the company, and include a captain as well. With that in mind, my current idea look like this;

HQ: Captain - 115

Relic Blade

Command Squad - 230

Apothecary, Banner of Staganda, 2 Plasma Guns, Power Fist, Drop Pod

HEAVY SUPPORT: Devastator Squad - 245

10 Marines, 2 Missile Launchers, 2 Lascannons, Drop Pod

I'd most likely combat squad the Devastators and bring down their pod empty in this configuration, or bring it down with just five vanilla Devs in it (for glancing hits in the back). The command squad would be used to anchor the battle-line and support the tacticals needing help.

Gentlemanloser

Gentlemanloser

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,527 posts

Why doesn't Close Range Bolter Drill work with Sternguard Special Issue Ammunition?

Models with this rule re-roll all failed To Hit rolls made with bolt pistols, boltguns, storm bolters, heavy bolters, or combi-weapons that are firing as boltguns when firing at a target up to half the weapon’s maximum range away.

"or combi-weapons that are firing as boltguns" is a single statement, clarifying that you get the reroll with a Combi-Melta, as long as you're not using the Melta portion.

If you're shooting a Sternguard Bolter, it should get the reroll, regardless of what 'bolter' ammo it uses.

Unless there's more to the Close Range Bolter Drill than has been posted?

QUOTE (Seahawk @ Jul 30 2011, 05:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We all feel different ways about different rules, but if you're traveling between different gaming groups or to tournaments, the only commonality is the rules as they are written. If you can get your opponent to agree with you on house-ruling something then that changes things, but until then all we can do is go by how things are written.

phatosen

phatosen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 97 posts

Why doesn't Close Range Bolter Drill work with Sternguard Special Issue Ammunition?

Models with this rule re-roll all failed To Hit rolls made with bolt pistols, boltguns, storm bolters, heavy bolters, or combi-weapons that are firing as boltguns when firing at a target up to half the weapon’s maximum range away.

"or combi-weapons that are firing as boltguns" is a single statement, clarifying that you get the reroll with a Combi-Melta, as long as you're not using the Melta portion.

If you're shooting a Sternguard Bolter, it should get the reroll, regardless of what 'bolter' ammo it uses.

Unless there's more to the Close Range Bolter Drill than has been posted?

There is more than posted, I'm afraid. The entire special rule reads:

Close Ranged Bolter Drill: Models with this rule re-roll all failed To Hit rolls made with bolt pistols, boltguns, storm bolters, heavy bolters, or combi-weapons that are firing as boltguns when firing at a target up to half the weapon’s maximum range away. This rule does not apply to models firing Hellfire, Kraken, Vengeance or Dragonfire rounds.”

What you quoted was probably merely what was relevant to the discussion.

Edited by phatosen, 27 November 2013 - 02:36 PM.

QUOTE (Marshal2 Crusaders): "In true Teutonic style the Fists descended on traitor worlds and burned everyone. Literally everyone. None were spared. For ten years they moved across the galaxy, not reconquering like the Ultramarines, but punishing."

phatosen

phatosen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 97 posts

Ok, so I've changed my plan a bit. I figured I wanted to focus more on the "normal" marines of the company, and include a captain as well. With that in mind, my current idea look like this;

HQ: Captain - 115

Relic Blade

Command Squad - 230

Apothecary, Banner of Staganda, 2 Plasma Guns, Power Fist, Drop Pod

HEAVY SUPPORT: Devastator Squad - 245

10 Marines, 2 Missile Launchers, 2 Lascannons, Drop Pod

I'd most likely combat squad the Devastators and bring down their pod empty in this configuration, or bring it down with just five vanilla Devs in it (for glancing hits in the back). The command squad would be used to anchor the battle-line and support the tacticals needing help.

Don't forget the worth in having extra marines with your Devastators. These are great for soaking up wounds that will kill a bolter-marine instead of a marine carrying an expensive heavy weapon. I see your idea for sure, but it's worth a mention. I have 7 marines total in my Dev squads - that could mean my heavy weapons will survive an extra round of shooting.

QUOTE (Marshal2 Crusaders): "In true Teutonic style the Fists descended on traitor worlds and burned everyone. Literally everyone. None were spared. For ten years they moved across the galaxy, not reconquering like the Ultramarines, but punishing."

kollar

kollar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 139 posts

Don't forget the worth in having extra marines with your Devastators. These are great for soaking up wounds that will kill a bolter-marine instead of a marine carrying an expensive heavy weapon. I see your idea for sure, but it's worth a mention. I have 7 marines total in my Dev squads - that could mean my heavy weapons will survive an extra round of shooting.

Aye, true. Hmm. Having a bit of think around, and browsing some interesting pages, I have another idea...

HQ: Librarian - 90

ML 2

ELITES: Ironclad Dreadnought - 180

2x Heavy Flamers, Drop Pod

HEAVY SUPPORT: Devastator Squad - 158
7 Marines, 4 Missile Launchers

HEAVY SUPPORT: Devastator Squad - 158
7 Marines, 4 Plasma Cannons

All of this ends up at 986 points. This would give me a gunline to start with (two 7 man Dev squads), Libby goes with one of them. On the first turn, I'll drop the Ironclad and one of the Tacticals most likely, and when the other Tactical becomes available, drop it either to reinforce the frontline, or take another objective entirely. Roles goes something like this;

Missile Devs: Multipurpose Heavy Weapon, can either tank hunt quite effectively with Str8 and Tank Hunters, or go for any horde I face with Frags.
Plasma Devs: Should probably always have a target to shoot at. Either transports, units or similiar. I figure I'll probably put the Librarian with these guys and try to get Endurance.
Librarian: See above.
Tacticals: Objective holders/first wave attacks.
Ironclad: Suicide unit/first wave. AV 13 makes all the difference when facing Krak grenades, and being able to flame twice on the drop is quite nice. Mostly there to draw fire and put a few dents on the enemy on the first drop.

My ides for expanding up to 1500 points from this would be a third Tactical Squad in a pod, a second Ironclad in a pod, and a Stormtalon.

VoteForPedro

VoteForPedro

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 140 posts
  • Chapter Name: Crimson Fists

I'm currently using the Sentinels of Terra supplement at 1500 points, have been enjoying using 3 Drop Pods in my force, equipped as below:

Tactical Squad, 10 Marines, Flamer, Heavy Bolter

Sergeant - Combi Flamer, Melta Bomb

Tactical Squad, 10 Marines, Flamer, Heavy Bolter

Sergeant - Combi Flamer, Melta Bomb

Sternguard 5 Marines
3 x Combi Melta, 2x Heavy Flamer

Works out quite nicely, loads of anti infantry close range firepower and some anti tank at a pinch though I mainly rely on the rest of my force for tank busting. An allied Inquisitor with Servo Skulls really helps ensure the first two pods hit where I need them, half tempted to drop a locator beacon in to ensure the second wave hits home too.

Edited by VoteForPedro, 30 November 2013 - 11:01 AM.

KGatch113

KGatch113

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 185 posts

Played in an 1850 pt tournament Saturday. 9 pods, 66 marines. 

While I like the list and rerolling bolters is nice, It lacked long range killing power against MC's. I took flakk missiles, which did nothing all 4 games. Not even against regular opponents. 

Take lots of whatever has bolters. I'd say, for every 2, take a close combat unit to drop near them to counter attack. 

40K RTT W/D/L 58/3/27
1 Overall, 12 Best Sportsman, 3 Best Army (2x Black Templars, 1x Space Wolves), 4 Best Painting (2x Imperial Fists,1x RavenGuard, 1x Space Wolves),1x Best Black Templars.
WFB RTT 0/0/6
1 Best Sportsman,1 Best Army (Wood Elves)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users