C.S. Goto's books

As I said, I've not read the book in a while, but I don't think that was it at all.  Pretty sure it was about temporal power, or some such.

And the whole reason the Deldar inflict Pain is to stave off Slannesh (well, that and they enjoy it of course! ;) ).  Thier entire existence revolves around foiling the Chaos God of pleasure.  I seriously doubt some of them would think it a good idea to get the gods attention, by serving it...

/shrug

If it enriches the story, go nuts.  Problem is, in the Deathwatch series it doesn't enchance the story, it just jars the fluff.

Which I think is the major reason CS gets so much negative press for his fluff liberties.  They don't really do anything to improve the telling.

There is no need for a Mephiston/Lemartes super clone.  The Mantis Warrior Librarian was far better.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried to read one of the Blood Raven books and I had to put it down at the mention of Angelos being in his 40s. I'm sorry, you do not have a god damned Space marine Captain in his 40s. period. It doesn't work. Many Scouts are in their 40s.

WHAT! Whoa, whoa, hold the phone! Yes you can be a captain in your 40's. If you have good command abilities then that is noticed pretty early on. And you have to be a pretty sucky scout to still be there when your 40.

As I said, I've not read the book in a while, but I don't think that was it at all. Pretty sure it was about temporal power, or some such.

And the whole reason the eldar inflict Pain is to stave off Slannesh (well, that and they enjoy it of course! msn-wink.gif ). Their entire existence revolves around foiling the Chaos God of pleasure. I seriously doubt some of them would think it a good idea to get the gods attention, by serving it...

Of course they would want to give souls to slaanesh. They don't want her to eat their souls when they die so they can be brought back to life.

Eldar Prophesy was bad for not only the insane fluff violations, but the fact that it was impossible to go more than three sentences without having to refer to the glossary for a translation to a made-up word.

Warrior Brood angered me because of an Assault Marine winning an aerial duel against a freaking Harridan Bio-titan. An assault marine with a chainsword and no bolt pistol ammo or grenades left.

Jump packs explicitly don't let you fly, or they'd be jet packs!

I actually liked the Dawn of War novelisation, but then, I didn't realise it was written by Goto until long after I read it! It's so much better than the other books of his that the difference is insane. That said, I never read the sequels because I was told that bad things happen to Macha, who I have a soft spot for.

Quote:  Eldar Prophesy was bad for not only the insane fluff violations, but the fact that it was impossible to go more than three sentences without having to refer to the glossary for a translation to a made-up word.                                                                                                                       As per my knowledge there were NO fluff violations. And as for the made up words, have you by chance read the LORD of the RINGS trilogy?                           Quote:   Warrior Brood angered me because of an Assault Marine winning an aerial duel against a freaking Harridan Bio-titan. An assault marine with a chainsword and no bolt pistol ammo or grenades left. packs explicitly don't let you fly, or they'd be jet packs!                                                   Well actually in rogue trader assault marines have flight packs and normal tactical marines had jump packs.It talk about it on page 157 rogue trader.                                                                             

No fluff violations in Eldar Prophesy? Are you serious?

How about the Eldar committing suicide by breaking his soulstone?

One: Eldar do not die if their waystone is broken.

Two: A waystone becomes a soulstone when the Eldar wearing it dies. A dead Eldar cannot break his own soulstone.

Three: A broken soulstone is a soul that has been fed to Slaanesh, strengthening him. No Eldar would do this, as their whole backup game plan is to deny Slaanesh souls and give them to Ynneath instead.

There are plenty of others if you go back and actually look.

Secondly: The made up words are a problem. They're a problem in Tolkein too. Tolkein had one good novel in him, and that was The Hobbit. The rest of his Middle Earth books are an anthropological study. Just because Tolkein did it, does not mean it is good writing! Have you even seen the Silmarillion? It's awful!

A flight pack is not a jump pack, and the assault marine had a jump pack. On top of that, Marine vs bio-titan. Even if the Marine CAN fly, do you seriously see that ending well for him?

Two: A waystone becomes a soulstone when the Eldar wearing it dies. A dead Eldar cannot break his own soulstone.

Three: A broken soulstone is a soul that has been fed to Slaanesh, strengthening him. No Eldar would do this, as their whole backup game plan is to deny Slaanesh souls and give them to Ynneath instead.

Secondly: The made up words are a problem. They're a problem in Tolkein too. Tolkein had one good novel in him, and that was The Hobbit. The rest of his Middle Earth books are an anthropological study. Just because Tolkein did it, does not mean it is good writing! Have you even seen the Silmarillion? It's awful!

A flight pack is not a jump pack, and the assault marine had a jump pack. On top of that, Marine vs bio-titan. Even if the Marine CAN fly, do you seriously see that ending well for him?

First when did this eldar commit suicide?  Second are you kidding? The LORD of the RINGS was at least 2 times better then the HOBBIT.  And no i have not read the Silmarillion but i know that he was not done with it . Oh and yeah i am willing to believe that an angry space marine with a jet pack and a chainsword can take down a bio titan.

In the Deathwatch RPG, Jump Packs allow you to hover for a short amount of time.  Around a minute IIRC.

Of course they would want to give souls to slaanesh. They don't want her
to eat their souls when they die so they can be brought back to life.

She eats their souls when they die, no matter what they do.  Unless they turn to Chaos and become her servants...  Which no self respecting Eldar, Dark or not, would want to do.

Dark Eldar are not Chaos Eldar.

First when did this eldar commit suicide?  Second are you kidding? The LORD of the RINGS was at least 2 times better then the HOBBIT.  And no i have not read the Silmarillion but i know that he was not done with it . Oh and yeah i am willing to believe that an angry space marine with a jet pack and a chainsword can take down a bio titan.

As much as I advocate going to the trenches for an author/director/whatever that you like, C.S. Goto categorically, absolutely, utterly wrote things vastly contradictory to established lore. You can say it's great or you can say it sucks, but expressing shock at the suggestion it happened is... Well, we're way past that stage. The fans know it. The reviews show it. Everyone's aware of it. He's even he said it himself in interviews.

In the under-tunnels, they found his corpse.

Moderator: Bad Miko, stop formenting arguments. This isn't the place to talk about Tolkein, so I apologise for bringing it up.

I tried to read one of the Blood Raven books and I had to put it down at the mention of Angelos being in his 40s. I'm sorry, you do not have a god damned Space marine Captain in his 40s. period. It doesn't work. Many Scouts are in their 40s.

WHAT! Whoa, whoa, hold the phone! Yes you can be a captain in your 40's. If you have good command abilities then that is noticed pretty early on.  And you have to be a pretty sucky scout to  still be there when your 40.

An Astartes would be lucky to be to be out of the scout company at 40. A recruit would be around 10-14 prior to implantation then (depending on the Chapter) it would take a few more years for implantation to be complete so a scout would be around his late teens upon induction into the scout company, then (again depending on the Chapter and the scout in question) it would take 20-30 years for a scout to complete his training and then move onto the reserve company.

Again this all depends on the chapter and the recruit. But there is no way in hell that an Astartes would be a Captain at 40.

In the Deathwatch RPG, Jump Packs allow you to hover for a short amount of time.  Around a minute IIRC.

>>>Of course they would want to give souls to slaanesh. They don't want her

to eat their souls when they die so they can be brought back to life.

She eats their souls when they die, no matter what they do.  Unless they turn to Chaos and become her servants...  Which no self respecting Eldar, Dark or not, would want to do.

Dark Eldar are not Chaos Eldar.

Well, that's sort of true but there are chaos eldar. And no, dark eldar can have the haemonculus bring them back.

Archived